MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older,

BLAH, BALH, BLAH. Here's a newsflash, the thread is about what turns individuals off. I really do not care what you think or say. I got turned off by the continuous hype of the Creed. You didn't, I did. Last time I looked it is still a somewhat free nation where individuals can speak their minds. The bottom line is the Barnes loading data for the Creed and the Swede with a 140 gr bullet are very, very close and there is no advantage for me buying a Creed and setting the Swede aside. I haven't shot factory ammo in decades so I don't care what factory ammo does. For me, the Creed is not something I am buying off on.

Another classic example of Naval intelligence. Not.

Another classic example of missing the point. Individual preferences. Perhaps you are too dumb to grasp that concept?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, a person can ruin a cartridge for me.

Way back in the early 1980's we were hunting deer on a property and another hunter was there at the same time.

He scoffed at our 270's and 6.5-06. Of course he was carrying a 7mm Rem Mag. the best thing ever! Our group filled our tags with no muss, no fuss. Guess which cartridge wounded a deer we spent most of the day unsuccessfully tracking.

I know it was the shooter, but to this day bring up 7mm Rem Mag and I cringe.

I have been a looney for a long time, but am slowly getting over it. Have owned rifles in almost every caliber, but have settled on five calibers (seven cartridges) with no interest in expanding.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Oh for gawd's sake - tell me you've got trouble seeing the forest through the trees without telling me you're having trouble seeing the forest through the trees. Name any of the cartridges you listed above that can be purchased as loaded ammunition (with a wide selection) from nearly any gun shop right now.

You're a handloader as are many here (self-included). Still, it's quite amusing you're not comprehending the 6.5 Creedmoor popularity when likely 75-80% (maybe more) of shooters DO NOT handload. It's not a whiz-bang-performance or comparative thing with most.

X2 ..... While I do not own a 6.5CM and prefer the older classic cartridges, I fully concede that the 6.5CM it probably the best cartridge out there right now for Joe Avg. deer hunter esp if he is not a handloader. It really does not have much to offer in ballistic terms but does offer much in the way of practical advantage over some other similar cartridges.

- Large selection of modern rifles (new & used) with proper twist bbls for longer bullets.
- Plenty of good accurate factory ammo available everywhere.
- Plenty of available brass and bullets.
- Fits well in a short action with room to spare for longer bullets out to the lands.
- Accurate
- Easy on the recoiling end.

Some of the above can be applied to other cartridges but not all of them. I do own a 6CM and the only reason for that choice is the bbl twist (custom bbl) and it fits better in a 700SA than the 243.

As much as we hate to admit it, all of us here could live very well with a 30-06, 6.5CM and a 223.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Growing up my father was, and still is, a big fan of short action cartridges. He hates recoil. His favorites are 22-250 Rem, 243 win, and his big bore 308 win with which he killed three elk. I have never been interested in a 22-250 partially because it was always Dad's round. Had a bad hunting experience with the 243 Win failing to anchor two well hit coyotes, so that soured me on the 243.

My tastes run different and I gravitated towards standard action length chamberings such as 30-06, 35 Whelen and 280 Rem. Though lately I've come to appreciate the older European equivalents. 6.5x54 M-S, 8x57mm and 9.3x57mm. Long range hunting has seldom been necessary. I can only think of two game animals I've taken at "long range". I'm not into all the long range hype and don't really have much need for high B.C. heavy for caliber bullets. From 0 to 300 yds even a cast lead bullet will do just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LMBO!!

For years, I shunned the .30-06 Spgfld. Not because there was anything wrong with the cartridge, but because EVERYBODY had one. Everybody in our camp had either a .30-30 or a .30-06.
One guy had a Rem 742 in '06 and a Win M70* in .270.
He killed deer with both.

I wanted to be "different".....so I bought a .270 Win! LOL!

* - it had a Kohlmorgen(sp?) scope on it!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The 45-70 shooters ruined that one for me. Actually, come to think of it, the 45-70 ruined the 45-70 for me.

Actually, I'm not sure who turned me ON to the .45-70 when I was in my forties... But ole Elmer was involved. Where I was doing 90+% of hunting was in forested-brush country, and I wanted to do my first ever bear hunt. While I owned a .338 Win Mag in a Sako FS Carbine at the time (and a few other conventional rifles), I thought this was a job (and excuse) to own my first 1895 Marlin in .45-70 - and I was an experienced handloader by then. Long story short: I not only got my first bear with that rifle (and a handloaded 400gr Speer bullet) but have owned a total of ten .45-70s, including 4 Marlins, 3 Ruger No.1s and three other single-shots. It became my favorite cartridge (handloads) in those rifles. My last, a new Ruger No.1 was given a longer throat to accomodate the long monos, and that made it into a short-'n-handy .458 Win in ballistics. It was my favorite rifle for game hunting for 20 years when it got traded on a Ruger No.1 in .458 Win Mag. Not that I wanted more power, but more weight for the same ballistics because at age 80 I wanted some relief from the recoil. Today, that 10 lb Ruger No.1 in .458 WM is my favorite rifle at age 87. Why? Just because in my forties, the .45-70 introduced me to "stoppers", in their tracks! And I needed that where I hunted then... and now!

My 2nd son recently purchased a 6.5CM. A couple weeks ago I was shooting some test loads from my .375 H&H for an up-coming bear hunt, and he was shooting some initial handloads from his new Winchester Low Wall single-shot, asking if I'd chronograph some... Of course, I'd done that many times in the past - but not for that rifle. Anyway, I did. The very crooked lever on that rifle injured my index finger in recoil, and I felt sharp recoil from the narrow, hard butt pad! In all, it was more brutal to shoot than my 9.75 lb, .375 H&H firing 250gr TTSX's at 2900 fps!

Why do we choose what we like? Because of who we are... not because of someone else. My son hates "recoil", so he says.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 08/23/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
It occurs to me that there are too many cartridges available, but being as how we're all loonies, ain't it fun to see how many we can own and argue about.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some guys think they are super-cool based on the cartridges they choose to hunt with. And it definitely goes both ways.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Some guys think they are super-cool based on the cartridges they choose to hunt with.

Yup .... That be true and I'm guilty of that vanity.

Shooting a 257Roberts, 275Rigby, 222Remington, 6CM, 300H&H and other near obsolete cases along with a few wildcats put me in the top of cool in my own eyes. <eye roll>

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For me it's usually the rifle I'm after. Whatever it happens to be chambered in can be a plus, but not really a deal breaker either way. If I have to tool up for a new cartridge then here we go again.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Indeed John, thank you.

It amazes me that someone can actually "hate" any cartridge. I just don't get it. I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I doubt I ever will. Not because I hate it, or its hype, or the weird unfathomable connotations applied to owners/shooters of it, it's just that I have a nifty 6.5x55 Ruger 1A and that's enough 6.5 anythings for me (well, maybe not if another 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer winked at me). I have enough other guns to mess with, such that I doubt I'll have enough time to fully understand them all before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

To each his own but I do wish that the haters would at least learn to spell "Creedmoor" properly though.

Well, I wasn't going to point out how many haters can't spell Creedmoor, but....

I might buy another 6.5x54 M-S carbine if the right one came along! The one I owned and hunted with for a few years wouldn't average better than about 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, but then again I was shooting it with irons and it killed deer fine. (Though I actually found one of the highly-touted 160 round-noses didn't hold together very well, even at 2200 fps MV....)

I still never know what's going to appeal to me--apparently one basic symptom of rifle loonyism.

I'm assuming that's the 160gr Hornady Interlock? Can you share more details on your experience with that bullet?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older,

BLAH, BALH, BLAH. Here's a newsflash, the thread is about what turns individuals off. I really do not care what you think or say. I got turned off by the continuous hype of the Creed. You didn't, I did. Last time I looked it is still a somewhat free nation where individuals can speak their minds. The bottom line is the Barnes loading data for the Creed and the Swede with a 140 gr bullet are very, very close and there is no advantage for me buying a Creed and setting the Swede aside. I haven't shot factory ammo in decades so I don't care what factory ammo does. For me, the Creed is not something I am buying off on.

Another classic example of Naval intelligence. Not.

Another classic example of missing the point. Individual preferences. Perhaps you are too dumb to grasp that concept?

Pointless.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're a handloader as are many here (self-included). Still, it's quite amusing you're not comprehending the 6.5 Creedmoor popularity when likely 75-80% (maybe more) of shooters DO NOT handload. It's not a whiz-bang-performance or comparative thing with most.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation did a survey a few years ago and found that 90% of hunters don't handload....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most of my cartridge 'history' has run toward the conventional.... BUT, there's just something about the 'odd' er stuff for me, certainly less conventional....

7x57 AI

7x61 Sharpe/Hart

7x65 Brenneke

40-40 Maynard, Paper Patched

Paper Patch 45-70

One that was definitely influenced by another was the 243 Win. Truth be known, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the cartridge..... but I helped trail, hunt down, track, whatever, and NOT recover, several of his deer that were shot with the 243.... Florida Whitetails, not exactly the biggest or toughest Cervidae on the planet......

So I have avoided it..............

Not fair perhaps,

YMMV

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
8mmx57JS,

I might buy another 6.5x54 M-S carbine if the right one came along! The one I owned and hunted with for a few years wouldn't average better than about 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, but then again I was shooting it with irons and it killed deer fine. (Though I actually found one of the highly-touted 160 round-noses didn't hold together very well, even at 2200 fps MV....)[quote]

I'm assuming that's the 160gr Hornady Interlock? Can you share more details on your experience with that bullet?

Yes. Have seen it fail to reach the ribs on the far side with a shot behind the shoulders on an average whitetail--while on another occasion it broke both shoulders and exited on a similar sized deer. Decided it was too inconsistent....

Phil Shoemaker had similar experiences.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
8mmx57JS,

[quote=Mule Deer] I might buy another 6.5x54 M-S carbine if the right one came along! The one I owned and hunted with for a few years wouldn't average better than about 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, but then again I was shooting it with irons and it killed deer fine. (Though I actually found one of the highly-touted 160 round-noses didn't hold together very well, even at 2200 fps MV....)

Yes. Have seen it fail to reach the ribs on the far side with a shot behind the shoulders on an average whitetail--while on another occasion it broke both shoulders and exited on a similar sized deer. Decided it was too inconsistent....

Phil Shoemaker had similar experiences.

Interesting to hear. Do you believe it was bad batches of bullets?

I've had poor results with the 140gr Sierra gamekings. Had that bullet disintegrate at modest velocity of 2650 fps on a couple of shoulder shots on deer a decade ago. On both occasions two different bucks one at 50 yards the other around 240 yards didn't reach the vitals, needed follow ups to put them down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The National Shooting Sports Foundation did a survey a few years ago and found that 90% of hunters don't handload....

Interesting intel - thanks JB!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hmm, I thought it was just me...160 gr erratic results with 6.5 MS velocities...guess not. I have not done any credible testing, but just because they were cheap I bought a few bags of 156 PPU, tried them in my unfamous 'snowbox' test media, and they performed almost exactly like the very old 156 Norma factory loads used as a control for bullet testing in the MS 1903 and Norwegian Krag. But, admittedly the snowbox is not an animal.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

In elk camp about 3 years ago I discovered everyone except a guy who traveled from Illinois was shooting a 6.5mm something. Cartridges included CM, PRC, and RPM. A total of 6, 6.5mm rifles.

Mine was the only one using handloads.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]Interesting to hear. Do you believe it was bad batches of bullets?

I've had poor results with the 140gr Sierra gamekings. Had that bullet disintegrate at modest velocity of 2650 fps on a couple of shoulder shots on deer a decade ago. On both occasions two different bucks one at 50 yards the other around 240 yards didn't reach the vitals, needed follow ups to put them down.[/quote]

Dunno if was bad batches, but Phil and I were hunting in widely separated parts of the country. Do know that Lapua's Mega 156-grain 6.5 bullet has a jacket with much heavier "sidewalls" that performs very consistently.

John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1badf350, 204guy, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,227
Posts18,504,323
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.