Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Have not successfully ran a full mag through gun with a wide variety of ammo. Just changed recoil spring for a Galloway 24lb and changed mag springs with new Springer Xtra power springs. Thought I might have it fixed as I successfully ran a 50 rounds of American Eagle 180gr loads through both mags. I then loaded five rounds in each mag with Sig V-Crow 180gr and gun is doing same thing it was. It noses one of the last rounds in mag, I think 13th into the top of the chamber. Very frustrating as gun has been sent back to Smith one time already and they did actually nothing and sent it back. I bet I have tried to run 250 dollars worth of ammo thru this gun trying to make it work, not counting the new recoil spring and mag springs. I did contact Smith customer service 2 days ago and they are sending me a mag to try.

Anybody have any insight on these guns?

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many magazines came with the pistol. I suppose if theres more than one they could all exhibit the same issues that could be causing the problem. to bad you cant change the extractor and extractor spring out.

I have no experience with that pistol, just suggesting logic that works on 1911s.

I can't believe that S&W sent that back not working. That's poor customer service.

describe best you can what type of failures are you having. failure to feed or failure to eject, bullet nose down or up jams, double feeds etc.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Bullet nose jams into top of chamber near bottom of mag. Pistol came with 2 mags and both do exactly the same thing. Yes Smith customer service sent it back and said it worked fine! It absolutely does not work at all. Well at least not what it is supposed to do. This is a personal defense gun and is totally not suitable for that!

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Heavy Barrel,

You are one of many who have had issues with the 10mm M&P. There is a lot of info out there posted and the various problems that owners have had. Normally it is a feeding issue in the cycle of operations. Not much in terms of definitive answers seems to have popped up, but as time passes I would think there will be some product improvement or aftermarket development that solves the issues that people are having.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read a bunch on this issue. From what I have seen it is pretty common. I thought that the new recoil Spring and mag springs might cure it and it did as far as the 180 target rounds, which I am sure are loaded on the light side, at least with 50 rounds which is a vast improvement over what it was doing with the factory springs. By seeing the improvement with these I wonder if a stiffer recoil spring might cure it? I have not seen one higher than 24lb, which is what I bought, but I bet a 26 or 28lb might improve the feeding?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sucks! Thanks for posting
I just asked about this pistol week or so back. There
Was couple guys who sent the pistol down the road.
Good luck getting it fixed

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If this is the type of Malfunction your experiencing maybe some of the corrective issues discussed may actually work for your pistol.
That 10 mm is a very hot round and that short barrel slide is not helping things.

one of the suggestions was a weaker recoil spring with the stronger mag spring. Also a heavier mainspring to slow down the action.

I realize this is a completely different platform of pistol, but both guns work very much alike.

Good luck.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/246613-nose-up-jam/

Last edited by 1911a1; 09/28/23.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just saw a YouTube video of an Apex Extractor they call it the "Failure Resistant Extractor". Says it aids in feeding and extracting. Does anybody have any experience with these?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I am not sure how an extractor can aid in feeding. From the sounds of your malfunctions, you are not having any issues with extractions. You are having feeding issues. Provided I am reading what you are trying to convey correctly.

If you have new, stronger magazine springs, I would go the opposite direction with the recoil spring, and slow your slide velocity timing down by putting a lighter weight recoil spring in the gun. Rather than run a 24 pound, try a 16 or 17# spring. Your slide and mag springs may not be timed right for the last couple rounds in the magazine and the slide may be not picking it up correctly, over running it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I will try the factory 17lb recoil spring again, sounds logical.
The Apex extractor claims that it holds the round against the breech face guiding it into chamber? I am unsure that is why I am asking?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
HB.

Extractors do hold rounds against the breech face. That is normal. If it does it any better than the stock one I cannot tell you. I would say that unless you are specifically having extraction issues, I would attempt to solve the issue by swapping springs first. Document each combination you have tried. Then if that does not work, maybe look at a different parts like magazine followers, extractors, etc.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for advice. It is a shame that I am having to try and make this pistol work when S+W would not! I in good faith can't send it down the road knowing it has issues so I am determined to figure it out, just hope sooner than later as the cost of experimental 10mm ammo ain't cheap, especially the personal defense stuff.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trade it off for either a Glock 20 or Springfield XDM. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I use to own a Glock 20 and a 40. The grips were just to fat for me, even the SF model. No question on their reliability as I fired everything thru them! Went yesterday to my LGS and they had no Springfield 10's in stock. I was really wanting to feel one and will be on the look out for one. Dang it would be hard to beat the ergonomics of the MP, this gun just feels great in the hand but this reliability issue is a deal breaker for sure! If I do get it running good It will take a lost of trouble free mags ran to regain confidence!

I thought about trading it off but man I hate for someone else to get a problem gun! And it feels like I am getting close to straightening it out. I hope this new mag that Smith is sending me has some type of change to follower, feed lips or spring tension that makes this gun run reliably! We will see and I will let yall know!

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A 4" model 610

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I realize that you said that Glock 20 was too fat for you, but you also said that it was completely reliable. It may be worth revisiting the G20 and working on how you hold the gun. When I was a State Trooper we were issued G21s which are the same frame size. Even the smallest guys and gals learned to adapt and shoot them, and many shot them extremely well. It was a matter of adapting their grip.

There are a number of professional female shooters who have pretty small hands but shoot some fairly good size double stack guns. Julie Golob for instance. She does not have big hands, but she shoots pretty much anything you hand her.

The G20 is very well known to be a reliable 10mm and one in which other 10mms are judged against.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My brother has an M&P 10mm, had the same problems. Heavier recoil spring and heavier mag springs together cured it. Runs like a top now. The factory recoil spring is too week for any real 10mm loads. The FBI Lite (meaning only 40 S&W ballistics but loaded in 10mm case) would run with the factory spring. But none of the true 10mm ran correctly until both springs were swapped out.

Mark in GA

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Mine wouldn't run anything with factory springs. It is running target ammo with the 24lb recoil and Springer Xtra power mag springs but is still fumbling with the more powerful loads. Always around the 12-14th rounds in 15 round mags.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just curious if you tried to tap the feed lips in just a bit. Doesn't take much and you can adjust the position the rounds feed into the chamber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I realize that you said that Glock 20 was too fat for you, but you also said that it was completely reliable. It may be worth revisiting the G20 and working on how you hold the gun. When I was a State Trooper we were issued G21s which are the same frame size. Even the smallest guys and gals learned to adapt and shoot them, and many shot them extremely well. It was a matter of adapting their grip.

There are a number of professional female shooters who have pretty small hands but shoot some fairly good size double stack guns. Julie Golob for instance. She does not have big hands, but she shoots pretty much anything you hand her.

The G20 is very well known to be a reliable 10mm and one in which other 10mms are judged against.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mackay Sagebrush nails it as per usual.

And while I’ve handled a Springfield XDM Elite in 10mm, and admit it fits my large hands better than my Glock 20, if I had to bet my life on either, I’d still choose my Glock 20.

I’ll eventually buy one of the Springfield XDM 10mm’s with the optics cut, though, as I don’t own any semiautomatic that’s optic ready, and have been wanting to try one for a while now.
I will say that every Springfield handgun I own has been Uber reliable, including my HellCat in 9mm, a old model XD compact in 45 acp, and all of the 1911’s I own.
I would expect the Springfield XDM Elite in 10mm to be reliable out of the box, based on the reviews I’ve read. Not so with the S&W 10 mm.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/30/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,599
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.