Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious.

I have the 4" S&W. The only modification I made was an Apex trigger.

I have a total of 6 mags. Being concerned about the reliability I put a lot of rounds through the gun and each numbered mag in case there was a problem with the individual mags. I fired hot reloaded 10s, factory 10s, and even a lot of 40 S&W. I have not had a malfunction of any kind. Still, the possibility of a malfunction concerns me.

Is there a consensus on what the problem is or might be with the S&W?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the Glock 20:
1. Look at the Zins grip.
2. Even though it too fat, I shoot better with my G20 than my ‘better feeling’ Glocks that are slimmer.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well just tried the new mag that Smith sent me to try and its a no go! Put factory spring back in and tried it also and no go! I can tell that the new mag has a stiffer spring but that is not curing the problem! Will go back to Smith ASAP for the second time!

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just ran 50 rounds through a new 10mm S&W PC M&P 2.0 5.6" with zero issues.

I would send it back. Something ain't right. What a PIA.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yes probably an additional 300 bucks spent trying to make gun work! Would trade it off but don't want to stick someone else with this POS!

Will let yall know what Smith says as I will call tomorrow. I am sure they will want me to send it in but I have gone that route once already. We will see!

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
smith and Wesson has given me my money back before. Tell them you want a new pistol or your money back.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is the ejector broke? Not the extractor, but the ejector.

When the gun is working, does the brass land on your head or right next to you?

The rounds in the magazine will push each other out until the last one or two and then the empty case will interfere with feeding.

Just a thought.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One other weird possibility.

The 10mm is built on the 45acp frame. But an ejector positioned for a 45acp casehead is going to barely hit a 10mm casehead. The pistol might have a 45acp ejector.

These ejector issues can be checked without firing the gun. Simply slide an empty casing under the extractor (usually will feed from mag) and then pull the slide sharply to rear - should launch the empty. If the casing dribbles out, the ejector has an issue.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Btt because I'm interested in this issue.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ejection, when it does, is positive and 3 to 4 feet. As I mentioned before, the issue starts at around round 12 to 13 every time.
Headed back to Smith as soon as I get my pre-paid label from them. I am going to ask for a different gun as I doubt that I could ever have confidence enough in this particular gun to ever carry.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HB - Glad you are getting somewhere with S&W.

Can't carry if you don't have 100% confidence in the pistol and that would be very difficult after all you have been through with it. I hope it was a manufacturing fluke and not something more systemic with that particular model.

I'm off to run another 50 through my new S&W 10.

Keep us posted...

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
HB -

Can't carry if you don't have 100% confidence in the pistol

Keep us posted...

That is for sure. I stated before that mine is functioning fine but every post I read like HeaveyBarrel's raises doubt.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
Ejection, when it does, is positive and 3 to 4 feet. As I mentioned before, the issue starts at around round 12 to 13 every time.
Headed back to Smith as soon as I get my pre-paid label from them. I am going to ask for a different gun as I doubt that I could ever have confidence enough in this particular gun to ever carry.

HeavyBarrel
An M&P should launch the brass farther than "3 to 4 feet". Probably twice that minimum.

Last edited by dla; 10/14/23.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
And it may very well be as it is throwing brass on top of my pole barn where i shoot. Much further than any other semi auto I have shot there. Never really measured distance 3-4 feet is just a guess but seems pretty substantial.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Get a rock island double stack 10mm 1911

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do M&P 45acp mags fit into an M&P10mm? If so, feed lip length would be too short and the lip gap would be a little too wide.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I honestly feel like it is a feed lip issue! You would think if it is that Smith would have figured that out long ago and saved them self this bad rap with these pistols that are questionable at best!

I re-sent gun back to Smith today and will keep yall informed on outcome.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you got it off the S&W.

Seems some folks are having problem with hot'ish ammo like Underwood so I picked up 50 rounds of their 200gr Hard Cast to see if the 5.6" has any feeding problems. But so far after 150 rounds I haven't had a single issue.

Keep us posted...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Update - I ran 50 rounds of Underwood 200gr hard cast through my PC 5.6" today. Not a single issue. I do like the Underwood ammo - clean and accurate. Waiting on a Garmin chrono to record velocities. The ported barrel on the 5.6 making shooting the 10 a breeze even with the a hotter load. This is quickly becoming my favorite handgun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to know STRSWilson. That’s the model I would prefer. Glad it’s working well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 23 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.