Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Just a cautionary note after reading a few recent horror stories on deposits paid and hunts disappearing.

The African hunting industry has a number of ways to book and pay for a hunt. You can book and pay through a Booking Agent, directly with a PH, or directly with a concession holder or landowner. All three are entirely different animals especially should something go sideways.

A lot of PHs are marketing hunts that do not have any real skin in the game in regards to owning hunting farms and/or concessions. They entice a hunter to hunt with them, but at the end of the day, they in turn have agreements with landowners or concession holders. You sign an agreement with a PH assuming they have everything 100% accounted for with the hunting farm/concession. This is all well and good unless deposits are paid and hunts don't materialize. As many PHs are living hand to mouth, deposits can be spent long before the hunt happens. This leaves the client and PH in a very difficult position.

Same situation can happen with concession holders. Suddenly the government decides to shutdown a concession just before hunting is to begin. This leaves the client struggling to either negotiate their refund (hopefully their deposit hasn't been spent) or have enough confidence to postpone their hunt until the following year.

Booking with an agent also has a potential downside. Many are far removed from the transaction and are basically independent agents working for a commission. While they can be very helpful for first timers, they are largely powerless to intervene for the client should something not go according to plan. In my opinion, they are more likely to side with the PH/landower as they represent their future business. Lose a client, no big deal. Lose access to hunts, that's the end of your business.

So as a client, make sure you ask all the right questions; even the uncomfortable one's. Be careful with deposits and make sure you fully understand the contractual side of the hunt. But know that if something does go wrong, you are a US citizen trying to get your funds back from a foreign entity - not an easy process.

And always remember TIA; $hit happens... a lot.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

A
A
I have used 10 different Africa outfitters over the years and one lesson I learned is payment in full upfront removes incentive for Outfitter/PH to perform.

Would you pay a contractor 100% of the price up front to do a $10-20k or more renovation to your home?

I have found that ala carte deals i.e. full disclosed upfront pricing regarding daily rates, in country transportation and trophy fee for animals taken provides the best results.

This approach permits reasonable/partial deposit to balance risk for both outfitter and hunter, as well as motivates the outfitter/PH to perform regarding the actual animals hunted/taken.

On my recent trip in August my outfitter/PH (whom I have hunted with 3 times at 4 different locations) mentioned that for large budget hunts i.e. dangerous game , that having funds held in escrow by an attorney seemed to be most reasonable approach for both Outfitter/PH and hunter to avoid either party taking huge "risk"/ "$ loss" resulting from nonperformance of the other party.

Good luck and happy hunting !

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I’ve used Atcheson’s as a booking agent. Most of what I owe gets paid AFTER the safari. If something goes South, they’re in the USA and you can sue them, and vice versa.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I’ve used Atcheson’s as a booking agent. Most of what I owe gets paid AFTER the safari. If something goes South, they’re in the USA and you can sue them, and vice versa.

Yep because as soon as your dollars leave this country, you have lost 95% of your ability to ever get it back. Unless you know someone in Africa who can break a few knuckles...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I book direct with the outfitter. Three times.

No problems yet.

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I guess that I've found an honest PH. Multiple hunts booked on a handshake. I choose to pay upfront by wire for most of the bill just before leaving for the trip. But I don't have to. Pay anything additional before I leave or when I get home. My choice.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WRPape
I guess that I've found an honest PH. Multiple hunts booked on a handshake. I choose to pay upfront by wire for most of the bill just before leaving for the trip. But I don't have to. Pay anything additional before I leave or when I get home. My choice.

My experience as well. Have booked several times directly with the same outfitter who’s been in business quite a while and who I’ve gotten to know quite well.

He’s always honored our deals, even when I’ve had to postpone a hunt for a year. Paid most of the hunts up front and can pay after for any additional trophies.

Getting to know who the outfitter and PH really are over several safaris helps greatly to build trust. Guess I’ve been fortunate.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I know a lot of great PHs who have fallen on hard times - especially during the covid years and others due to government interference. Survival, desperation, and temptation are funny things. I've been disappointed to see several folks who I have admired and trusted do things that are highly questionable.

My only advice is - CYA always.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sounds like a well known outfitter/PH in Zambia.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Several guys got caught up in that mess.

But the same happened in Botswana when they closed concessions. Lots of clients lost their deposits.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AB2506

No problems yet.

Same here, 5 times.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by AB2506

No problems yet.

Same here, 5 times.

I’ve been on 10 safaris. Never once had a problem with booking. I’ve hunted 3 times with one outfitter and 3 times with another. They have become family friends. I typically pay 50% up front to cover expenses, then write a check for the rest and any animals I shot after I return home. Never had a problem.

Outfitter reputation means everything.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
Sounds like a well known outfitter/PH in Zambia.

Never trust, or take advice from a covtard. jdollar is the poster boy for dumbasss.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I didn’t offer any advice, just a comment. Nice to know I’m still living rent free in your head, though. ….

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Fauci, the CDC, Biden, and the rest of your idols are living rent free in your head apparently......you still believe this horsechittt? I expect you'll dodge the answer as per usual. You're a lying coward.

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
True to form. Nothing of value to add to the topic, just personal attacks. Really pathetic….

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Answer the question you lying covtard, coward. You still believe that crap or not?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Answer the question you lying covtard, coward. You still believe that crap or not?

Why are you hijacking this thread? Read the title.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We booked through a well known booking agent. PH lost his concession, but we ended up on another concession and had a fantastic hunt. IMO, booking through a well known agent helps insulate you, because their reputation rides on the PH’s they book with. Since the checks go to the agent in the US, they have skin in the game if their PH’s cancel.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not being a player in the African hunting scene but with a bit of experience in the yacht charter and offshore big game fishing business I have to ask. Don’t any of these agents, brokers or lease holders use what we call an escrow over here in the US. I know they do in Europe and was told they have something similar in Australia and most civilized Pacific rim countries. By searching escrow.com I think you’ll find a lot of info. In the yacht and sport fishing charter world if an agent, broker or owner refuses an escrow that usually kills the deal

Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 68 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,835
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.