Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like how in every incident they claim it's such a good family dog. You just can't predict when they will snap.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
In many cases, man has proven is inability to manage his dominion over animals. This perennial problem is a great example.

The willingness to cull the bad ones is lost.

Only about a quarter to maybe a third of dogs and horses should be allowed to reach maturity.....let alone breed.

^^^^This^^^^

It isn't the "breed", it's the "breeders"!

People that fight chickens and dogs are just a part of the problem.
Pits became famous for their toughness and tenacity.
My dad bought one when I was in first grade.
I played with the dog after school. Great animal!
But dad couldn't feed him without getting attacked. He got rid of him. (?)
The Nez Perce Indians developed and bred the appaloosa horse. They paid particular attention to conformation and disposition.
If a horse wasn't mentally sound, they were neutered or killed.
When the "white man" saw the colors and blankets, they bought horses and bred them and sold whatever hit the ground with no thought to disposition OR conformation!
Into the 1950's and 60's, appaloosa horses were considered unstable. I helped my dad shoe horses. The appaloosa was definitely disturbed.
Not until the 1990's did the horse industry eventually ck3an up the appaloosa breed.
Same happened with Arabian horses. They are slowly turning that breed around.

Sadly, the traits that dog fight breeders look for aren't conducive to good family pets.

I have a Rotweiller. Dude runs 110 pounds. He got into it with another dog. I figured I was going to get chewed up, but I stepped in to break them up. He broke off immediately when I grabbed him. He's 11 years old now. He's never bitten anyone or even become aggressive to any human.
Skunk, cat, chicken? Dead!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If every pit bull in this city went rogue on people there’d be casualties on every street. But with that number of pits, things happen.

Two here since the summer.

45 (??) yo man died after being attacked by the neighbors pit bulls that got under a fence. He lost a hand in the initial attacked, died after a prolonged hospital stay.

72 (??) yo man lost a leg below the knee, not enough left to save.

Not many pits get people aggressive, I’d guess a whole lot more are dog aggressive.

I got no use for one, too much liability.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
In many cases, man has proven is inability to manage his dominion over animals. This perennial problem is a great example.

The willingness to cull the bad ones is lost.

Only about a quarter to maybe a third of dogs and horses should be allowed to reach maturity.....let alone breed.

^^^^This^^^^

It isn't the "breed", it's the "breeders"!

People that fight chickens and dogs are just a part of the problem.
Pits became famous for their toughness and tenacity.
My dad bought one when I was in first grade.
I played with the dog after school. Great animal!
But dad couldn't feed him without getting attacked. He got rid of him. (?)
The Nez Perce Indians developed and bred the appaloosa horse. They paid particular attention to conformation and disposition.
If a horse wasn't mentally sound, they were neutered or killed.
When the "white man" saw the colors and blankets, they bought horses and bred them and sold whatever hit the ground with no thought to disposition OR conformation!
Into the 1950's and 60's, appaloosa horses were considered unstable. I helped my dad shoe horses. The appaloosa was definitely disturbed.
Not until the 1990's did the horse industry eventually ck3an up the appaloosa breed.
Same happened with Arabian horses. They are slowly turning that breed around.

Sadly, the traits that dog fight breeders look for aren't conducive to good family pets.

I have a Rotweiller. Dude runs 110 pounds. He got into it with another dog. I figured I was going to get chewed up, but I stepped in to break them up. He broke off immediately when I grabbed him. He's 11 years old now. He's never bitten anyone or even become aggressive to any human.
Skunk, cat, chicken? Dead!

The AKC has done good.
And they have a part in the decline of many breeds.
"Having papers" is the key to the bank,
AKC gives those papers out by bloodline. Period.
At shows, their confirmation is so abstract it's ridiculous.
Based almost entirely on asthetics. Not on much of what makes a particular
breed desirable.

AKC Beegle standards are for two types.
Under 13", and over 15".

If you have the best rabbit hunting Beegle known to man, have won numerous hunting competitions with him, are selling his services for thou$and$, but he is 14" tall?

AKC will not allow him to be shown. Because, this otherwise great dog, a master at doing what the breed exists for, is 1" too tall. Or 1" too short!

German breed clubs are OCD about confirmation.
Of hair quality, health, body structure, health, deameanor, health, abilitieS to
perform their intended jobs, health.

I know of Drahthaars that were required to be neutered due the having and underbite.
They require several hunt tests, with both graded and pass/fail portions.
Health and sound confirmation checks at every test.
Fail something, and they will never give you "papers" for your dog, never certify it a
Drahthaar, never recognize its pups.

Because, they love the breed.
Their goal is to make it the best it can be, and excluding bad performers, bad attitudes,
unhealthy genetics... makes the future dogs better.

AKC, allows anyone with a registered dog, who claims to have bred with a registered dog, to certify the pups. You could literally breed a bitch born blind to a male born three-legged and with severe jaw problems. The sell the AKC certified pups to someone wanting a hunting dog.

"See the parents!"

How can you be sure the adults you see are the parents?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There are a couple on the next street over from me. Owned by druggies. They let them run loose. I can't walk my dogs on a leash in the street without them running out and attacking. I thought about shooting them but instead don't walk my dogs there. Others have called the police and the owners have been fined several times but nothing changes. I am not a fan of pit owners that are irresponsible.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Earlier this week, Spokane had two dog attacks. One just resulted in a mauling, but in the second, a pit killed a child that was playing with it in its back yard. The police had to "euthanize" the dog.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,330
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.