Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ttpoz
Ive enjoyed following this thread. I've killed elk with a number of cartridges from 243 to 45/70. Bullets have been cup and core, partitions, and TTSX's. All the bullets have worked well. The chamberings I've used most are the 338 WinMag with partitions and the 270 with mono's. I've no experience with Bergers, Scenars, bondeds (on elk), or mono's designed to shed petals. I might also note that my experience with TTSX's has been with using them relatively light for caliber and driven fast. I'd like to try 168 grainers from a 308 or '06. Anyway, I'll share a few opinions:

Number 1 - Saddlesore is right, finding elk is where the conversation begins.
Number 2 - Bullet placement trumps all.
Number 3 - If the question involves hunting big game, "Partitions" is always a good answer.
Number 4 - A solidly constructed cup 'n' core works well especially at velocities below 2800 or so fps and when they are on the heavy side for caliber.
Number 5 - Mono's excel with speed. They're great for neck shooters or for the high shoulder shot. They seem to be the kings of penetration.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread, good info.

I'd agree with this at all but longer ranges.

Bb

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My brother, kids and I have been using monos exclusively for over ten years.
You will never convince me they kill as abruptly as lead and copper bullets.
I get it that guys like two holes. The problem is the exits are often small to the point they don't bleed well at all.
Mono uses suggest aiming for bone for a reason.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado
I've killed over 2 dozen elk (not a lot) with my 270 Win shooting 150g Partitions at 3000 fps. Worked flawlessly from 15 yards to past 400 yards. My last elk was taken at 225 yards with a 570g TSX at 2300 fps from my 500 Jeffery. Needless to say it worked too.

Ive got to add my support to the remarks related to the .270 Win and 150gr Partitions. Ive killed fewer bulls but piles of deer & hogs. I’m still trying to get other combos to match the 270/150NPT’s effectiveness. I’ve got near zero experience with monos on Elk other than what I’ve witnessed in others. I just consider the partition as a double action bullet where most others are single action.

Interestingly the second most effective bullet I’ve ever used is the Sierra 85gr HPBT in my 6mm - sorta ridiculous how effective that little bullet is.

Can’t say I’m either a two hole guy or a fragment guy but after reading this thread I guess I’d side with the bullet fans who prefer at least some disintegration before leaving the target.

Great thread all - interesting to read about those opinions built on significant experience that I’ll likely never have.

Pints

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having shot and seen shot a large number of elk I believe the best elk bullet is the VLD.

It simply kills faster from up close to 1000yds.

I shoot for shoulders.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jetjockey
JMO, you match my the caliber and ammo with the gun. Elk are tough animals, and broadside shots lend themselves to many bullets. But, if that bull of a lifetime needs to be punched through the shoulder, a quality bullet is needed. It won’t kill as quickly as a broadside shot that knocks it on its @ss, but it will be a dead animal within 100 yards. For elk and tough animals I’m a firm believer in Accubonds, Partitions, Ascents, etc.. For light skinned animals like pronghorn, give me a fast ballistic tip that produces a ton Of damage and anchors the animal in its tracks. There is no one “ best of” bullet.

This is my take as well.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Personally I prefer the Nosler Accubond or Partition bullets but have used Sierra Gamekings and Hornady Interlock and ELDX bullets as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Somehow killed a bull with a match bullet, 108eldm.....weird.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

What were the particular's on that one JH? That 108 is a dandy bullet and as accurate as I've seen from a 6mm. From the little ARC to the 6 Creed its been easy to tune.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO, the Eld-x is not a big game bullet. I shoot mostly Barnes lrx and ttsx anymore, but it's hard to beat a interlock or partition for all around performance.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The lack of penetration using a 103gr Eld-x after hitting the shoulder bone is dismal at best.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

What were the particular's on that one JH? That 108 is a dandy bullet and as accurate as I've seen from a 6mm. From the little ARC to the 6 Creed its been easy to tune.

220yds double lung. Fell down, got up, stumbled a short distance and died. Small 6pt bull. Just as a bull did last year with the 140eldm.

Still looking for the bulletproof elk. Hope to get another killed next weekend with the same peashooter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

220yds double lung. Fell down, got up, stumbled a short distance and died. Small 6pt bull. Just as a bull did last year with the 140eldm.

Still looking for the bulletproof elk. Hope to get another killed next weekend with the same peashooter.

Nice. Congrats. Any bullet left to recover?

Cool stuff.

Semper Fi
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
30-06 150 gr SST (Hornady Superperformance factory) tends to leave big internal wound channels at most any range on caribou out to 450 yards IME. Close in, BIG wound channels! Have recovered 2 only - a separated jacket and bullet lodged in the off-side "elbow" at 433 yards, and an insurance shot into a moose skull at 5 yards (that one surprised me- near perfect mushroom)

Last edited by las; 11/14/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hornady knows exactly what eldm's do in tissue versus various barriers. They specifically test them. From their LE website "is specifically designed to meet FBI protocol and provide superior external ballistics when compared to standard 308 WIN offerings. The 147 gr. ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance"

6.5 creed 147 ELDM TAP

Click on that link, scroll down and click on "gelatin". You will see test results with calibrated 10% ballistic gel and various mediums (heavy clothing, wallboard, plywood, auto glass). If you think that bullet won't kill an elk, you are completely misguided. The 308win 168gr eldm is impressive as well, but almost most impressive is the tiny 6mm arc with a 106gr eldm. Look at its results.....

Can’t speak to AMAX/ELDM on elk, but the 7mm and 6.5mm versions sure work great on deer!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've used 150g partitions out of my BDL in 270 Win at 3000 fps for decades. Works great, gave the rifle to my son, he's gotten elk with it so I'm happy. Buying myself a vintage BDL in 7mm Mag. Plan to load 175g A-Frames at 2900 fps.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Hornady knows exactly what eldm's do in tissue versus various barriers. They specifically test them. From their LE website "is specifically designed to meet FBI protocol and provide superior external ballistics when compared to standard 308 WIN offerings. The 147 gr. ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance"

6.5 creed 147 ELDM TAP

Click on that link, scroll down and click on "gelatin". You will see test results with calibrated 10% ballistic gel and various mediums (heavy clothing, wallboard, plywood, auto glass). If you think that bullet won't kill an elk, you are completely misguided. The 308win 168gr eldm is impressive as well, but almost most impressive is the tiny 6mm arc with a 106gr eldm. Look at its results.....

Can’t speak to AMAX/ELDM on elk, but the 7mm and 6.5mm versions sure work great on deer!

I just checked out all of the testing, thank you for posting that info.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Took my first elk this year. Debated what rifle to use but settled on the .30-06 and loaded some 180 gr. TTSX for it. At the shot the bull stiffened and I went ahead and hit it again but it was not really needed. Both shots were pass throughs on a broadside shot. Didn't take more than 3-4 steps. My father used the same handload last week on a couple of deer which accounted for a couple of one shot kills. Can't complain about performance and the load shoots well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

6.5 creed 147 ELDM TAP

I just checked out all of the testing, thank you for posting that info.

No problem.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FWIW, 2 years ago I used a .300 Wby and 180 TTSX's to shoot a cow at 175 yards that was quartering away from me. Shot went in behind the near shoulder and out through the opposite side. She went down immediately and stayed down. I was very impressed with the results.

[Linked Image from ar15.com]

[Linked Image from ar15.com]

Last edited by JLH3; 11/22/23.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This conversation comparing light/fast/soft bullets vs. heavy/slow/tough bullets has been going on for a long, long time.

In the early 90's, I had a friend in Paradise, Ca who was a hunter. He had more than a dozen sets of elk horns on the walls of his den. He had never owned any rifle but a Sako L579 in .243 Win. He told me he loaded 85gr Sierras "as fast as they would go", and described how they would blow up inside the elk when they hit bone, spreading shrapnel throughout the chest cavity. That rifle and that load also accounted for more than 100 deer.

Other people believed in the small bullet/high velocity concept at that time, also:

From the Jackson Hole Outfitters newsletter, Dec 1999:

"In .243 or 6mm, use the 80 grain. I personally hand-load my .243 with 42.5 grains of Dupont 4895 behind a Hornady 75 grain hollowpoint. I've had it chronographed at 3510fps from my Husqvarna, and between my brothers, son, and I, we've killed more than 20 elk, 30 deer, two bears, and two moose with that load - in a .243!! Large caliber and heavy bullet is not the answer. If that were so we would still be shooting 500 grain punkin' balls in a 54 caliber muzzle-loader. Straight shooting and a very fast thin bullet will do much better. When that 75 grain pointy hollow-point smacks a rib cage, it penetrates about three inches and then it goes all to pieces, SPLAAT!, just like a shotgun shell going off in the boiler room. Does a lot of damage."

Grits Gresham wrote in Guns & Ammo magazine, 2002:

"But how about a .243 Winchester for elk? Not for the average hunter. But never? You be the judge. Whiskey Chamberland was my guide on several hunts along the Salmon River in Idaho. I had known him quite a while before the subject of his personal elk rifle arose, and I was shocked. He used a .243. I probed deeper and my surprise increased. At the time, he'd killed 15 consecutive bulls with one shot each. Losses? None."

Alpinecrick from this forum has written about a scorecard of more than a dozen elk killed cleanly with a 100gr Partition. An Idaho outfitter of some renown that I corresponded with advocated a .243 with about any good 100gr bullet, saying the mild kick helped people hit the mark more often than most hunters would with a harder-kicking magnum, and as a result put elk down without a fuss.

Recent posts in this and other forums have extolled the virtue of .223 caliber bullets from various cartridges on elk.

I don't like going to the extremes of either argument. Everyone has to make their own choices and take their own chances, but if I ever get the opportunity to hunt elk again, it will be with my 7mm-08 shooting a 140gr TTSX - although the 139gr Hornady Interlock wouldn't be a bad choice either!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,638
Posts18,474,424
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.