Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I just read a thread on page one here...and it is fairly obvious to the dullest intellect that the buffalo were killed by canola and olive oil.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
673;
Good afternoon, I trust the day goes well up there for you all.

In the early '80's I worked in a small 3 man cabinet shop owned by a Metis chap with the last name Barrett.

He'd grown up just east of your people in Qu'Appelle, I want to say maybe Wapella area?

Anyways he was maybe 15 years older than me but perhaps a bit less and told of finding a pemmican cache in a tree stump as a kid.

When I asked him what it tasted like, he replied, "Pretty much like all other pemmican I tried, which was terrible!" laugh

I believe it was from him that I was told that the Metis didn't add berries to the pemmican they made for themselves as it didn't last as long with berries added, but the stuff sold to the fur trading companies could go either way.

That might be my remembering something mixed up too however, it was a long, long time ago that that conversation took place.

All the best.

Dwayne
LOL
You made me remember the Pemmican caches, funny, then your buddy found one.

We can learn alot from the demise of Buffalo, which is why we need to have an honest look at what we are doing to our game in this Province, because it is similar. Either way, the killing of female ungulates needs to be addressed, one way or another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill !!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where did barb wire fit in?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Prime beef tastes better.

No it doesn't. When I'm at a restaurant that offers Bison I get Bison

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike

YMMV.
Bison burgers are OK. The steaks have a sweet “whang” to it that I don’t particularly care for. I’ve heard others compare it to horse meat. 😬

As far as prime US Beef, I’m betting you’ve never had a Certified Black Angus fillet that’s cooked medium rare over mesquite coals.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It sure ain't the Cowboys tonight!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Years ago I found one.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Years ago I found one.

Very cool Sam! A good friend dug one out of a creek bed several years ago not far from here.
All I ever find is arrowheads. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by moosemike

YMMV.
Bison burgers are OK. The steaks have a sweet “whang” to it that I don’t particularly care for. I’ve heard others compare it to horse meat. 😬

As far as prime US Beef, I’m betting you’ve never had a Certified Black Angus fillet that’s cooked medium rare over mesquite coals.

You may very well have me on the mesquite coals part....

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well good folks, eat what you like, I do.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In more recent times we could ask the same questions about the Quebec caribou herd. I hunted NW Quebec in 2002 and 2003. Herd was estimated at 1.2 million head. We saw thousands. By 2017 the estimated herd was 200,000 or less and sport hunting stopped. Sport hunting had been taking less than 10,000 a year, native winter hunting somewhat more. I saw a place on Lac Minto where hundreds had drown and washed ashore so nature had an impact too. I believe it is never one thing but an overwhelming combination of factors. Migrating herds do so to avoid over grazing a single area. Snow geese eat the same lichen as caribou in their nesting area and their populations were expanding at the same time as the caribou. The lichen grows very slowly. I think available food became a problem and led to fewer calves and diseases.
Similar to the buffalo? Maybe. Easier to just blame climate change or hunters.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 54Woody
In more recent times we could ask the same questions about the Quebec caribou herd. I hunted NW Quebec in 2002 and 2003. Herd was estimated at 1.2 million head. We saw thousands. By 2017 the estimated herd was 200,000 or less and sport hunting stopped. Sport hunting had been taking less than 10,000 a year, native winter hunting somewhat more. I saw a place on Lac Minto where hundreds had drown and washed ashore so nature had an impact too. I believe it is never one thing but an overwhelming combination of factors. Migrating herds do so to avoid over grazing a single area. Snow geese eat the same lichen as caribou in their nesting area and their populations were expanding at the same time as the caribou. The lichen grows very slowly. I think available food became a problem and led to fewer calves and diseases.
Similar to the buffalo? Maybe. Easier to just blame climate change or hunters.
So, in 15 years the herd lost 1 million?
Who came up with the estimates for the Native hunting harvest?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeL2
It sure ain't the Cowboys tonight!
You beat me to it, smile

Jim

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bellydeep
WTF are you on???

If you’ve ever seen a buffalo on the prairie, they stick out enough to ensure their demise. Not hard to figure out.

Indians and settlers alike probably committing a good amount of wanton waste with no refrigeration and sub par tools.

Most probably just had the back straps cut out if that.

Then throw in the market hunters.
Not to mention the US Army buying salted tongues for $1 each. Literature seems to be well scrubbed of such, but 60 years ago bounties on Bison were mentioned all over the place.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree 100%. Bison and free range beef are just about identical to my taste and not near as good. But if a person likes grass fed, go for it but I cannot see that as a selling point.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Stephen Ambrose in his book “CrazyHorse and Custer” makes the case to f how prolific the Indian pony was at that same time. Those pony herds adapted well to the plains, and Ambrose says that left unchecked the ponies might have eventually pushed out the buffalo.
In “Son Of The Morning Star”, Connell tells of Crow Indians killing thousands of Buff taking only the tongue and leaving the rest for the buzzards.
Indians living in harmony with nature is white man’s hogwash. Most Indians believed that the buff would never run out, no matter how many they killed, at least up until the mid 1870’s when the herds started to dwindle. He also tells of them chopping down grove of trees to get the nuts they produced. The Indians thought it was “the fishes and the loaves” and it would never end. If the whites hadn’t taken over, maybe the Indian population would’ve kept the balance!
I have often seen the plain’s stretch for miles and wondered what would go through the mind pat seeing the buffalo in numbers only God could count! How I’d have loved to see it!
Reon

Until Columbus discovered the western continents, the Native American population was limited to what their environment could sustain. That population had reached the maximum carrying capacity of the land and animal populations there-on.

European diseases swept across the N American continent subsequent to 1500. Some estimates are the Indian populations were reduced by 80% or more by 1800. Which is to explain why Bison populations had reached an all time high by the 1800's.

Population numbers swell and ebb. Unsustainable high numbers are going to crash. It is natures way. With a little artificial help, local and global extinctions easily happen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is anyone going to mention the million upon million of antelope that disappeared?
There were plagues of Rocky Mountain Locust in the 1800's swarms estimated to be hundreds of miles long and many miles wide they just never returned no one knows why,
Jack rabbits in the NW have become scarce it is even rare to see one where 40 years ago there were millions
I use to shoot lots of pheasant's around this area now it's rare to see a nice cock,
When I was a kid there were bullfrogs everywhere I have not heard one in over a year
there were lots of leopard frogs too now if you ask someone that grew up here 40 or less they don't know what a leopard frog is.
ten years ago we would shoot hundreds of whistle pigs a day, two years ago I spent about a hour in the same locals and shot at two, and didn't bother to even go last year.
On and on and so forth, the bottom line is,
Critters come and go for multitude of reasons many of which we don't really know why.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Until Columbus discovered the western continents, the Native American population was limited to what their environment could sustain. That population had reached the maximum carrying capacity of the land and animal populations there-on.

European diseases swept across the N American continent subsequent to 1500. Some estimates are the Indian populations were reduced by 80% or more by 1800. Which is to explain why Bison populations had reached an all time high by the 1800's.

Population numbers swell and ebb. Unsustainable high numbers are going to crash. It is natures way. With a little artificial help, local and global extinctions easily happen.
I think this version is very plausible. High bison populations strained the system, most of the Indians were wiped out by European disease, prairie fires were used in warfare against the remaining Indians which drastically reduced the bison food supply weakening an over grazing herd further. Then the immune carrier Texas wild cattle were driven north into bison country devastating the herd. Then the hunters finished up killing the rest.

So, bio-weapons (unintentionally used) took care of the Indian and bison impediments to settling and farming the mid-west and west.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use to shoot lots of pheasant's around this area now it's rare to see a nice cock,
Pivot sprinklers. Before pivots, every field had ditches lined with weeds. There were high spots in fields that weren't farmed because they were too rocky and brushy. There were fence rows with lots of weeds. All those were bird cover. When the pivots arrived, all of those patches of cover disappeared and the pheasants went with them.
We used to hunt them in the Rupert, ID area. It was a pheasant Mecca. Now days, in the winter you can drive for miles and see not a single patch of weeds or a ditch bank. It's all bare plowed fields.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.