Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

JFC dude. Get a life!

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you let 13° change your plans even though your activities were to be inside?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made

How old are you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When its that fugking cold, who gives a damn about 13 degrees

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Thats 13° (thirteen) degrees.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What does one do of they predict 1" of snow and you get 2"???

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/13/24.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blame the canadians. They are the ones making all that cold air!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What does one do of they predict 1" of snow and you get 2"???

Cheer - because their error rate is usually well above 50%....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who has spent time outdoors knows the temp can fluctuate a pretty good amount depending on where the temp was taken.
Have you ever rode a motorcycle and hit cold patches of air? Also cold air settles in low spots, those spots can be quite a bit colder.
So take temp predictions with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stay home and hold into the pudenda! Sheesh!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
We live in an area where 3 major mountain ranges converge, weather forecasting is more art than science here. When NWS had manned stations in the area with little to no employee turnover, we got darn good short range forecasts. Then they streamlined, closed the stations in the late 90's and went to 'one size fits all unisex computer modeling'. With a predictable outcome...3 day accuracy dropped considerably. And the worst of it is the predictions of snow levels. A typical family shopping trip or medical appointment to a big town involves crossing more than 2 mountain summits, or in the case of Valsdad...there ain't no low spots going to town. Tarot cards and Ouija couldn't do much worse at 50/50.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Cry us a river, buttercup.
Like most days, the only activity you were getting anyway is the walk from house to truck, then later, truck to house.

Hike up your skirt, Nancy – and act like you live in Montana.

Sheeeesh!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
How do you get the "degree sign" to come up?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are 10 people working in the weather office. 3 say it will snow, 7 say it won't. There is a 30% chance of snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
How do you get the "degree sign" to come up?
Apple or Android?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

JFC dude. Get a life!

But in the defense of Varmintgay ( Yes, I spelled that right...) I should get a job as a meteorologist. They can be wrong 80% of the time and still not get fired...kinda like having a State.gov job....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One cancelled two indoor activities due to outside temps? What gives? Don't folks do heat there?

Stay cool,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/13/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

JFC dude. Get a life!

But in the defense of Varmintgay ( Yes, I spelled that right...) I should get a job as a meteorologist. They can be wrong 80% of the time and still not get fired...kinda like having a State.gov job....
I still say you cannot predict what mother nature is going to do.

My dad says with all of the tech they have they should be able to. She doesn't give 2 schitts about technology.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
One cancelled two indoor activities due to outside temps? What gives? Don't folks do heat there?

Stay cool,
That extra 13 below kills a 50' walk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.