Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xphunter
I really don't care what distance people kill big game animals, as long as they are adept at it, and the weapon/bullet is capable of it at that distance.
If it is legal, you and your weapon are up to the task, whether a matter of feet with a spear or distances that I know I would never pull the trigger, go for it. That's your business.

I also don't care if you want to set up a rifle for killing elk at a grand or at 1500 yards.
Set up 10 different ones, if that suits you.

Regardless of what you have, before you go hunting, actually practice from field positions on targets that are the size of the vitals or smaller, and intentionally shoot at your max distance with your first shot from a field position (Cold bore shot).

This will teach you so much, if you will pay attention.
Each time you go out, try this, and you won't feel real salty about yourself, but it will give you a better idea of where you are at in specific conditions.

Who knows, you may need to shorten your MAX distance for game or maybe you can actually extend it...

On a good day I can get many newbies on steel out to a grand with 15" 223 Remington, 6 Creed, or 308 Win (15.75").
Are they qualified to hunt at distance? No
Were they being coached on fundamentals, and getting input as they continued to shoot? Yes
Do they probably suck at reading the wind still? Yes
Was their hit at a grand a cold bore shot? No. I have never started a newbie at a grand.
Were they shooting from a weird field position? No
Did they have to shoot on demand? No
Did it matter how many times it took them to get on steel at a grand? No
Was their target bigger than the vitals of a big game animal? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no
Do I want them to be happy and proud of themselves? Yes

Actually practice at distance...

Your gun may be the the uber-ELR rifle of the world, but if you suck at the fundamentals and at adjusting for the atmospheric conditions, including wind and terrain, keep your shots within the distances you have proven to yourself you can consistently do for that shooting circumstance.

Good catharsis...Time for more coffee grin
+1

Great post.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I have no desire to stretch to 1,000 for several reasons. The biggest being that I would never, in any situation shoot at an animal that far. I am confident and comfortable to make lethal shot to 700, 800 in the right conditions. Even that is stretching it. I cringe when I see people shooting 1,000 yards at animals, that's not for me. Especially when people are doing it with 6.5 Creeds.
With an outer limit of 800 yards, you’re really not all that far from 1000, yourself. With a few more years of shooting and improvement, maybe your comfort and confidence with extend to 1000. Other than terminal performance limits, distance is just an arbitrary number, assuming your skills and abilities are up to the task.

And for discussion, I have a 6.5CM load that retains 1775 fps and 1025 ft-lbs at 1000 yards in favourable but realistic weather conditions where I hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really don't care what distance people kill big game animals, as long as they are adept at it, and the weapon/bullet is capable of it at that distance.
If it is legal, you and your weapon are up to the task, whether a matter of feet with a spear or distances that I know I would never pull the trigger, go for it. That's your business.

I also don't care if you want to set up a rifle for killing elk at a grand or at 1500 yards.

Regardless of what you have, before you go hunting, actually practice from field positions on targets that are the size of the vitals or smaller, and intentionally shoot at your max distance with your first shot from a field position (Cold bore shot).

Each time you go out, try this, and you won't feel real salty about yourself, but it will give you a better idea of where you are at in specific conditions.

Who knows, you may need to shorten your MAX distance for game or maybe you can actually extend it...

On a good day I can get many newbies on steel out to a grand with 15" 223 Remington, 6 Creed, or 308 Win (15.75").
Were they being coached on fundamentals, and getting input as they continued to shoot? Yes
Was their hit at a grand a cold bore shot? No. I have never started a newbie at a grand.
Was their target bigger than the vitals of a big game animal? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no

Your gun may be the the uber-ELR rifle of the world, but if you suck at the fundamentals and at adjusting for the atmospheric conditions, including wind and terrain, keep your shots within the distances you have proven to yourself you can consistently do for that shooting circumstance.

All of the fundamentals you list and discuss in this post are encountered in local, casual fun matches.

And yet you don’t believe in participating in them to fast tracking improvement that directly applies in real world hunting situations

🤣

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
quote=rcamuglia]

All of the fundamentals you list and discuss in this post are encountered in local, casual fun matches.

And yet you don’t believe in participating in them to fast tracking improvement that directly applies in real world hunting situations

🤣[/quote]

For you to again suggest that I don’t believe in participating them, is absolutely wrong.

I typically do one or two matches like you have described above every year.

What I have said as well, is that you do not have to be involved in these kind of shooting disciplines to become competent for hunting at longer ranges.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
6.5 creed is an impressive little cartridge. Does nothing a 260 or 6.5x55 hasn't already done for a handloader, but whatever floats your boat. It's not an elk cartridge. It has killed elk, ut that doesn't make it an elk cartridge.
I find myself a stauch 30-06/280 rem fan with an appreciation for good 7 rem mag. I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 7 prc may actually be an equivalent to anything you'll ever need. If I wanted to kill elk and not just shoot targets, I would actually build a rifle set up around 1 specific bullet. In this case I'd go with a 175 accubond lr. I think that bullet with the correct powder in a prc would be a stomper to a grand.
I do think as well, that a 7 rem mag throated for that bullet would probably beat that prc in velocity at the muzzle, but I'll bet when you run the numbers, they are so close at 1000 in velocity and energy that that bullet will be one in the same in performance.
With all this said, I'm gonna stop diving into this comparison, because it may cost me a trip to my smith and about 5 or 600 on a rebarrel. Then dies, brass,.....

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Well said 10. Common sense is great to see.

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10
6.5 creed is an impressive little cartridge. Does nothing a 260 or 6.5x55 hasn't already done for a handloader, but whatever floats your boat. It's not an elk cartridge. It has killed elk, ut that doesn't make it an elk cartridge.
I find myself a stauch 30-06/280 rem fan with an appreciation for good 7 rem mag. I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 7 prc may actually be an equivalent to anything you'll ever need. If I wanted to kill elk and not just shoot targets, I would actually build a rifle set up around 1 specific bullet. In this case I'd go with a 175 accubond lr. I think that bullet with the correct powder in a prc would be a stomper to a grand.
I do think as well, that a 7 rem mag throated for that bullet would probably beat that prc in velocity at the muzzle, but I'll bet when you run the numbers, they are so close at 1000 in velocity and energy that that bullet will be one in the same in performance.
With all this said, I'm gonna stop diving into this comparison, because it may cost me a trip to my smith and about 5 or 600 on a rebarrel. Then dies, brass,.....
Your smith works cheaper than mine. When I decide to send a gun to a gunsmith it becomes a money pit. It's going to shoot no matter what it takes.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Your smith works cheaper than mine. When I decide to send a gun to a gunsmith it becomes a money pit. It's going to shoot no matter what it takes.[/quote]

If you already got the barrel, it'll be 275. Thread, chamber, headspace.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gonna wait for the Ruger American Gen 2, then I’ll give the 7PRC a go.

I’ve seen it in $7,000 rifles and $600 rifles and it does well in both.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Well I’m pretty well narrowed to either an adl rem 700 7RM build or Rem 700 long range 7RM and have it fluted and threaded. Looks like fluting can pull 3/4 of a pound or so out of it.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I cringe when I see people shooting 1,000 yards at animals, that's not for me. Especially when people are doing it with 6.5 Creeds.

Who have you observed shooting at elk at 1k yds with a 6.5 creed?
About 1000 YouTube videos.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 7 prc may actually be an equivalent to anything you'll ever need. If I wanted to kill elk and not just shoot targets, I would actually build a rifle set up around 1 specific bullet. In this case I'd go with a 175 accubond lr. I think that bullet with the correct powder in a prc would be a stomper to a grand.

Looks like one little nudge and you'll be over here on the Dark Side, Coyote10! laugh

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 7 prc may actually be an equivalent to anything you'll ever need. If I wanted to kill elk and not just shoot targets, I would actually build a rifle set up around 1 specific bullet. In this case I'd go with a 175 accubond lr. I think that bullet with the correct powder in a prc would be a stomper to a grand.

Looks like one little nudge and you'll be over here on the Dark Side, Coyote10! laugh

Boy, it didn't take much eh! grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Remington92
Well I’m pretty well narrowed to either an adl rem 700 7RM build or Rem 700 long range 7RM and have it fluted and threaded. Looks like fluting can pull 3/4 of a pound or so out of it.

Bet you'll love it and if you want to cut weight there's some good light weight stocks out there, too. I love my Outkast Arms NULA stock. I think, besides being super light the design mitigates some of the felt recoil. Glenn will full-bed your 700 build for a reasonable price.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs

He held out a few months - a valiant effort!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I could feel him falling for it. Trying to fight it....

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I could feel him falling for it. Trying to fight it....

A real American dollar says you're next buddy! laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am not against one in the least. Just not sure what I'd love to have as far as a rifle to wrap around it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not against one in the least. Just not sure what I'd love to have as far as a rifle to wrap around it.

Be sweet in one of your pre64 70's, I bet. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Be sweet in one of your pre64 70's, I bet. wink

It'd be an EASY changeover in any of the P64 magnums. No messing with mag boxes or nothing. Feeding is likley quite good out of the gate as well. The 35 Newton (375 Ruger reformed) would feed great through my old rifle with just plain old cases out of the magazine.

Semper Fi
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.