quote=rcamuglia]
Originally Posted by xphunter
I really don't care what distance people kill big game animals, as long as they are adept at it, and the weapon/bullet is capable of it at that distance.
If it is legal, you and your weapon are up to the task, whether a matter of feet with a spear or distances that I know I would never pull the trigger, go for it. That's your business.

I also don't care if you want to set up a rifle for killing elk at a grand or at 1500 yards.
Set up 10 different ones, if that suits you.

Regardless of what you have, before you go hunting, actually practice from field positions on targets that are the size of the vitals or smaller, and intentionally shoot at your max distance with your first shot from a field position (Cold bore shot).

This will teach you so much, if you will pay attention.
Each time you go out, try this, and you won't feel real salty about yourself, but it will give you a better idea of where you are at in specific conditions.

Who knows, you may need to shorten your MAX distance for game or maybe you can actually extend it...

On a good day I can get many newbies on steel out to a grand with 15" 223 Remington, 6 Creed, or 308 Win (15.75").
Are they qualified to hunt at distance? No
Were they being coached on fundamentals, and getting input as they continued to shoot? Yes
Do they probably suck at reading the wind still? Yes
Was their hit at a grand a cold bore shot? No. I have never started a newbie at a grand.
Were they shooting from a weird field position? No
Did they have to shoot on demand? No
Did it matter how many times it took them to get on steel at a grand? No
Was their target bigger than the vitals of a big game animal? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no
Do I want them to be happy and proud of themselves? Yes

Actually practice at distance...

Your gun may be the the uber-ELR rifle of the world, but if you suck at the fundamentals and at adjusting for the atmospheric conditions, including wind and terrain, keep your shots within the distances you have proven to yourself you can consistently do for that shooting circumstance.

Good catharsis...Time for more coffee grin

All of the fundamentals you list and discuss in this post are encountered in local, casual fun matches.

And yet you don’t believe in participating in them to fast tracking improvement that directly applies in real world hunting situations

🤣[/quote]

For you to again suggest that I don’t believe in participating them, is absolutely wrong.

I typically do one or two matches like you have described above every year.

What I have said as well, is that you do not have to be involved in these kind of shooting disciplines to become competent for hunting at longer ranges.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/