Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
My 28 Nosler is hell on elk. 26" barrel, 2" Terminator T3 Brake, 180 Berger Hybrids with a Zeiss HD5 is hard to beat.

That sounds like a contender for sure.

It is well proven. Elk, and coues deer to 700 are light work.

I bet. I've seen some guys with the 28 Nosler at the range, they usually shoot well. One thing I get a kick about is guys thinking they can consistently hit the vitals on an elk at 1,000 yards. To me, that would require a first round hit. I've shot a lot at 1,000 yards ,but have never seen anyone hit a 10" steel plate on the first (cold bore) hit ever. I'll do it on occasion, but it's about a 50/50 chance. Just being honest, and you have to be honest with yourself when you are shooting at a big game animal. I was just watching a video on longrange shooting, and some of these guys have some pretty tricked out rifles, yet, they are not making first round hits.

Check out some of these rifles, you have some that you have to hold up on the mag box so they feed, you have some where they are not ejecting, some are rough feeding POS's. Definitely not an elk rifle, but they are built to shoot well, and these guys are not making very good hits. Some 8,9 or 10th round hits, if they even hit the target at all. Some shots wouldn't even hit the body of an elk. In this video, they were shooting in very good conditions too. Add some wind to the mix, and the hit ratio goes way down.

When you say 700 is "light work", it sure can be. Stretch it out to 1,000, and see what happens. I know, everyone thinks they can hammer stuff consistently at 1,000 yards. They should call this guy up, and see if they can get on one of his videos.

Here's another video:

How much do you guys think that guy has into that Accuracy International AT308 with the Schmidt and Bender scope?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA