Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by memtb
This is a common cartridge case converted to AI - a rather inexpensive conversion, Dies are (at least were) readily available from RCBS, a long action would be required, the action likely can be had at a reasonable price from a donor rifle, finished price including stock, and barrel should be pretty reasonable unless you go with a very highly recognized (expensive) custom rifle builder. If you’re not recoil sensitive, the complete package can be had in a very “hunter friendly weight (under 10# assuming a fairly heavy scope is used) and length.

With a couple of assumptions made: the shooter is capable of shots exceeding 1000 yards, the shooter can “dope” wind accurately at long range, the rifle/cartridge/bullet is capable of the needed accuracy @ 1000 yards, a rangefinder is used to adjust for fairly significant bullet drop which is the easy part of the shot. This should more than satisfy the ft/lbs energy that many see as important for elk sized game.

It may not be a desirable choice by many, but checks many boxes pretty good. memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What common cartridge can fire a 270 grain bullet 3100 fps?

Under 10#’s with a scope?

😆🤣

My “only” hunting rifle since 1990. Actually it weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce, scoped, loaded, slung. I used 10# in my post as my 3.5-10 Leupold is considerably lighter than the scopes that a lot of the LR hunters/shooters use.

I personally will never shoot game at 1000 yards……this was to primarily show that getting 1000 ft/lbs energy @ 1000 yards isn’t that difficult in a rifle with generally available components, and actions in a reasonably priced build.

The base cartridge case is fairly common as it’s been around since 1912 and has been a very popular hunting cartridge on most every continent since it’s conception. As stated it was converted to an Ackley Improved…..a very simple, common, and inexpensive conversion. I will not suggest that every 24” barrel will/can give you 3100 mv…..but, that’s what I was getting during load development this past summer. I expect my velocities to be somewhat less in hunting conditions…..and hope to go out soon and run a few over the chrono with temperatures around zero F.

To directly answer your comment…..a .375 AI. I did fail to mention that it’s not in the middle…..I should’ve read the OP’s criteria a little better. Though inthe world of big game cartridges….. it’s considered a “medium bore” ! 😉 I was reading through the many comments about ft/lbs energy, and brought this to the forefront! memtb

What bullet, powder, charge, seating depth etc are you using? I've got a 378 Weatherby that will achieve what you're describing but it requires about 15% more case capacity than your 375 AI and a longer barrel. I'm finding it difficult to believe you're getting those velocities with a 24 inch barrel without being over 70K psi.