E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What was it and where was he?

I don't know.

Appomattox, Custer captured Lees artillery and convinced Lee to meet Grant at the courthouse and meet the terms of surrender and end the Civil war. General Phil Sheridan purchased the table the treaty was signed on and presented it to Libby Custer…

In April 1865, the Rebels had surrendered to the Yankees, thus ending the Civil War. George Custer arrived on the other side of the war a hero. His actions at the Battle of the 1st Bull Run and subsequent heroic efforts helped bring about victory for the North. Shortly after the official signing of the South’s declaration of surrender Major General Phil Sheridan sent Elizabeth Custer a gift along with a note of explanation. It read, “My dear Madam – I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant – and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarecely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring this about than your gallant husband.”
Where wuz Custer in 1864 at chambersburg pa?

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
What was it and where was he?

I don't know.

Appomattox, Custer captured Lees artillery and convinced Lee to meet Grant at the courthouse and meet the terms of surrender and end the Civil war. General Phil Sheridan purchased the table the treaty was signed on and presented it to Libby Custer…

In April 1865, the Rebels had surrendered to the Yankees, thus ending the Civil War. George Custer arrived on the other side of the war a hero. His actions at the Battle of the 1st Bull Run and subsequent heroic efforts helped bring about victory for the North. Shortly after the official signing of the South’s declaration of surrender Major General Phil Sheridan sent Elizabeth Custer a gift along with a note of explanation. It read, “My dear Madam – I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant – and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarecely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring this about than your gallant husband.”

Iow, you are stating Custer was instrumental in maintaining the union, and in retrospect (today), that was a good thing?

Wars are won and lost by soldiers, politicians decide if it was good or bad…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Real calvery men fought for the south

Didn’t know that.

Go look at who Custer fought, and whipped, at Gettysburg. And he did it on a horse. Supposedly, it was Lee’s best cavalry man.
That is true and Sheridan gave him credit for saving the day. If JEB Stuart had hit the Yankees line simultaneous with Pickett's charge things might have gone a lot different.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by RAS

Didn’t know that.

Go look at who Custer fought, and whipped, at Gettysburg. And he did it on a horse. Supposedly, it was Lee’s best cavalry man.
That is true and Sheridan gave him credit for saving the day. If JEB Stuart had hit the Yankees line simultaneous with Pickett's charge things might have gone a lot different.
Bad timing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder how old George was viewed in the family. Two brothers, several cousins and brother-in-law also died in that campaign.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It seems that not knowing the lay of the land was a very big factor in the loss at LBH.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS

Didn’t know that.

Bad timing

Nope, Custer sent him packing with a much lesser amount of Michigan Wolverines…

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by RAS

Didn’t know that.

Bad timing

What happened to the failed Calvary charge on the opposite flank around the same time!!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
#littleknownfacts
#yankymassacre

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Well my ancestors were Confederates, so fugk Custer.
^^this
Well mine were also, but we lost. There are consequences to that.

As far as Weir's sashay toward the Indian lines I would be pretty sure the Custer fight was over when they mustered a large force to chase him back to his outfit.

As to how long the Custer fight took did someone forget the Indian who claimed it took about as long as it took a hungry Indian to eat a meal (maybe 20 to 30 minutes)?

I'll never believe Benteen was a coward and I believe he acted properly with the limited information he had. He was instructed belatedly to "come on" and bring packs (ammo) which he did. He found troops and joined them under extremely difficult conditions and had to organize a very disorganized situation. He successfully set up a defensive position and held off a much numerically superior attacking force.

Weir was seemingly kind of a nut case and infatuated with Mrs. Custer not to mention infatuated with whiskey.

You can be sure the Indians that surrendered a year or more after LBH weren't going to badmouth the soldiers they massacred. After all at that time they were virtual prisoners of war.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS

Didn’t know that.

Bad timing

What happened to the failed Calvary charge on the opposite flank around the same time!!

Saved himself for another meeting at Yellow Tavern. What happened to Stuart there. You do remember Custer sent him packing at Gettysburg. It wasn’t about what could happen…

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by RAS

Didn’t know that.

Bad timing

Saved himself for another meeting at Yellow Tavern. What happened to Stuart there. You do remember Custer sent him packing at Gettysburg. It wasn’t about what could happen…
🤣How many times was Custer sent packing buy fits lee after that?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
🤣How many times was Custer sent packing buy fits lee after that?
earlybrd: Our cause was just and separating from the United States was legal. We should have taken our case to a sympathetic U.S. Supreme Court. Chief Justice Roger Taney was on our side. But we didn't. And we used the wrong tactics in going head up against a powerful enemy. George Washington's tactics of inflicting as much damage as possible and then retreating while wearing down the enemy's will to continue might have served better. The North Vietnamese used that same tactic and it worked. There was a powerful minority in the northern U.S. that wanted to cut the south loose.

But anyway what's done is done and we lost in a fair fight. The north used its industrial capacity, its population, and what became a pretty darn good army to whip us. My paternal great grandfather was captured at Vicksburg, paroled, and rejoined the CSA cavalry. Both sides of my ancestry fought for the Confederacy and we suffered terribly in reconstruction but it was war and we lost.

All that said, Custer was a bold and reckless man and those attributes served him well until one day his luck ran out. Captain Benteen proved himself a good soldier with unquestioned courage in battle and was basically railroaded over insulting the Mormons at Fort Duchesne several years after LBH. In retirement he was promoted to Brigadier General for gallantry at LBH and the Yellowstone Expedition.

As to the subject of this thread Captain Thomas Weir, I believe he proved himself mentally ill before LBH and basically he shortly afterward committed suicide by alcohol and who knows what else he mixed with it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You guys sound like a bunch of Indians.....

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I found this interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don’t know about anyone else…

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Damn Yankee....

I am MAGA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That's Eskimo speak.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
One thing for certain about Custer-he was a loser.....and spectacularly so.

Where was Custer April 9, 1865?
He rather brashly rode up to Confederate lines under a white flag and rather arrogantly and brashly demanded the surrender of the entire Confederate Army of Northern Virginia near Appomattox, Virginia. Confederate Lt. General James Longstreet, not being favorably impressed, basicaly told him to "git". Custer, being rebuffed and robbed of his perceived moment of glory, decided this was sound advice, promptly wheeled his horse, and quickly rode away. Later that day, General Lee did meet with General Grant at the McLean house and agreed on surrender terms. Custer was present at that meeting along with many other Federal officers, but played no part in the proceedings nor the arrangements. I strongly suspect he was upset that he was not able to claim the glory of the day.

I will now mention the one decent thing that I know of that Custer did. There may have been others, I don't know. At the end of the war, Federal troops were sent to occupy Texas for multiple reasons. One was to restore Federal control, and to guard against former Confederates, both organized and not, from joining with French colonial troops then fighting for control of Mexico. Additionally, and many are not aware of this, the last Confederate military department to surrender was the Trans-Mississippi Department which was officially surrendered by General Edmund Kirby-Smith, ratified at Galveston, Texas 02 June 1865. Upon the capitulation of Lee's army in Virginia, followed a few short weeks later by Gen. Joseph Johnston's army in North Carolina, President Davis was attempting to make his way to Texas where Gen. Kirby-Smith had, at least on the rolls, a substantial number of troops under arms. President Davis had sent instructions for the troops to be gathered near Hempstead, which is west-northwest of Houston, between Houston and Austin. Here, he planned to make a show of arms and hoped to negotiate favorable surrender terms with the U.S. government. Obviously, things did not work out that way and most remaining troops across the Confederacy began to either surrender or simply disband.

Located near Hempstead is Liendo Plantation, then owned by the Groce family. Custer, was a part of the occupation troops which took over the family home as his headquarters with his troops camped on the grounds. Custer allowed the Groce family to remain in other secondary rooms and outbuildings. While there, Custer's wife, Libby, became very ill and the Groce family took great care of her, nursing her back to health. In time, Custer had orders to move his command elsewhere and to burn the home and all property buildings and everything else in the area. While Custer was diligent in executing his orders of needless destruction, even though the war had been over for several months by then, he spared Liendo because of the kindness the Groce family showed his wife. I am not claiming this act of decency was indicative of his character either way, but it is a factual account of this particular incident.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In 1864, Jubal Early burned Chambersburg PA.
WTF does Custer’s whereabouts have to do with that? Why bring it up?
You southern fools can’t see past a war that’s been over for over a century and a half!
If you shut up long enough about the Civil War, you might just learn something about the war on the plains 10 years later!
No. My ancestors fought for the confederacy. That makes me extra freaking special!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.