R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Looks like they confirmed the landing.

That's what I'd like to know. How it is that over 50 years after we watched the Eagle land on TV we can't see what's happening with this thing...who knows. Maybe they're using Radio Shack walkie talkies ort something.
I remember seeing all that live on TV, as it happened. I guess our technology was better back then.
Maybe not better but maybe they didn't have the budget to get that done on this landing instantly? Maybe it would have been instant if all 4 antennae working? The lunar lander was manned so there were people right there to correct issues?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Looks like they confirmed the landing.

That's what I'd like to know. How it is that over 50 years after we watched the Eagle land on TV we can't see what's happening with this thing...who knows. Maybe they're using Radio Shack walkie talkies ort something.
I remember seeing all that live on TV, as it happened. I guess our technology was better back then.
Bingo!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By breakfast we'll be seeing reports that it's faked and being filmed in Cousin Benny's garage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by KillerBee
At this point, I would prefer it if they would focus on arming systems that could orbit the earth with laser technology that can take out all hostile orbiting spacecraft and systems designed to end our way of life and that will put us back into the stone age, make us defenseless and unable to communicate!

Long OVERDUE IMHO.
Let's forget all the issues regarding the initiation of yet another arms race which the liberals in this nation have left us ill equipped to afford.

Let's just focus on the physical impracticality of orbital laser weapons platforms intended to destroy other orbital weapons or communications devices.

First to deal with are the power requirements of a weapons grade laser. You have to generate that power in place , and generate it fast enough to make your weapons system capable of repeating shots. It is one thing to do so on a naval vessel the size of a cruiser or aircraft carrier. (Which is just barely becoming practical) It is another to do so on equipment which must be lifted into high Earth orbit.

Second is that space is a great big environment. Your target could well be thousands, or tens of thousands of miles away. Laser beams do have an angle of dispersion. While your initial beam might have the energy to cut 1 inch plate steel at ten inches with a 1/4 inch beam diameter. When that beam has dispersed to a diameter of 20 feet, it is another matter entirely. The intensity is subject to the inverse square law

A laser becomes 1/4 as intense with every 100 meters it travels in space. My example of the 1/4 inch beam turning into a 20 foot beam occurs at 1000 meters. 1/4 inch X 2 to the tenth. If the beam diameter doubles with eveyr 100 meters then its intensity become 1/4 with every 100 meters. or 1 over 4 to the tenth power at 1000 meters.

We would be better off lifting a ma deuce into orbit and firing 750 gr slugs at the target.

Feel free to correct my math. I am a bit out of practice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/uruuh8/if_spaceships_actually_shot_lasers_in_space/

Diffraction guarantees that the energy spreads out as the laser beam travels through space. How fast this happens depends on the wavelength of light being used, and the initial cross section of the (close to) parallel beam as it was shot. The relation is that the angle of spreading is proportional to wavelength divided by the linear dimension of the cross section (diameter of the circle, say), or approximately theta = lambda/d, where theta is in radians.

If you draw an initial beam with diameter d, spreading from each side of that beam with half-angle theta/2 (so the full angular spread is theta), and use the small angle approximation (theta in radians = size of thing divided by distance to thing) then you can find that at some distance L, the new diameter D of the beam is now

D = d + L*theta = d + L*(lambda/d)

Let's run some numbers; I'm going to use lambda = 1000nm because I like round numbers more than I like sticking to the canonical visible wavelengths like red. 1000nm is in the near infrared.

Case #1, my personal blaster, with a beam diameter starting at 1cm = 0.01m = 107 nm. Then theta = lambda/D = 1000nm/107nm = 10-4. We can use the formula for D above to see that the beam has doubled in diameter by the time it's travelled 100 meters. Doubling in diameter causes the intensity of the beam (its "blastiness") to go down by a factor of four. By the time you're a kilometer away, the beam is about 10 times as big in diameter as it originally was, or 100 times less blasty.

Case #2, my ship's laser blaster, which is designed to blow a hole in an enemy ship, and has a starting beam diameter of 1 meter. Here theta = 1000nm/109nm = 10-6 radians. Using the formula above again, we can see the beam diameter doubles in 106 meters.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
By breakfast we'll be seeing reports that it's faked and being filmed in Cousin Benny's garage.

I am sure. And if this craft photographed and lunar landers or rovers as it passed overhead, those photos are faked as well.

And Rocky, thanks once more.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc
Anticlimactic... saying images would be coming later. Also saying only 1 of the 4 antennas are working??

The low gravity makes it harder to erect the antennas....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Odysseus private moon lander from Intuitive Machines launched earlier this week is set to attempt a landing on the moon at 6:24 Eastern time. The unmanned craft carries several experiments for NASA and will land near the moon's south pole. Live coverage HERE
[quote=RockyRaab]

Rocky I do not follow this at all but I was at our company’s five day equipment auction Sunday through yesterday in Orlando. I left early to come back to Alabama on Wednesday as they had today and Friday left. Tuesday I was outside the auction main office on the site waiting out front for an Uber to take me back to the hotel. I was on the phone talking with my wife waiting on my ride when I look back to the east toward the Cape and I saw what had to be a rocket of some sort heading vertically at a significant clip heading to the heavens and it disappeared after 30-40 seconds.

I was wondering if you knew if they had a practice launch or if this a planned launch. It was definitely a rocket. I spotted around 3:15 pm eastern time Tuesday. Do you know if there was a planned launch on that date or what it was?

Last edited by thirtyotsix; 02/22/24.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gosh I hope they bring back another rock! (rolls eyes)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thirtyotsix
Rocky I do not follow this at all but I was at our company’s five day equipment auction Sunday through yesterday in Orlando. I left early to come back to Alabama on Wednesday as they had today and Friday left. Tuesday I was outside the auction main office on the site waiting out front for an Uber to take me back to the hotel. I was on the phone talking with my wife waiting on my ride when I look back to the east toward the Cape and I saw what had to be a rocket of some sort heading vertically at a significant clip heading to the heavens and it disappeared after 30-40 seconds.

I was wondering if you knew if they had a practice launch or if this a planned launch. It was definitely a rocket. I spotted around 3:15 pm eastern time Tuesday. Do you know if there was a planned launch on that date or what it was?

SpaceX had a launch on Tuesday, Feb 20, 2024.
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1760035173280911460

https://www.spacex.com/launches

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
who's doing the filming outta the big 5 ?

Universal Pictures
Paramount Pictures
Warner Bros.
Walt Disney Studios
or Sony Pictures ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Was not up to speed on this, but it was a cinch NASA wasn’t driving the bus

Yep. Historic first for a U.S. company.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by thirtyotsix
[quote=RockyRaab]The Odysseus private moon lander from Intuitive Machines launched earlier this week is set to attempt a landing on the moon at 6:24 Eastern time. The unmanned craft carries several experiments for NASA and will land near the moon's south pole. Live coverage HERE
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

This might be what you saw on Feb 20 at 3:15 PM.
Cape Canaveral - Tuesday February 20, 2024: A Space X Falcon 9 rocket successfully launched and Indonesian communications satellite into orbit a geosynchronous transfer orbit from Cape Canaveral Tuesday afternoon. The Telkomsat Merah Putih 2 mission took off Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fake. Filmed on a movie set with crisis actors.

😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Moon landing skeptics make me LOL.

My dear beloved Grandma was born in 1902. She was the most Christian GOOD devout person I have ever known. I well remember her telling all of us through the late 60s that God would never let Man travel to the heavens, not until after Christ returns and takes us back. Man absolutely can NOT go to the moon.

Even she understood after watching Neil Armstrong step off of that lander on the Curtis Mathess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Government or a large corporation would never lie to us. Would They?

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner

😂

Both times.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
😂

Jag’s gonna be pissed you got a Jimmy Olsen on him.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
At this point, I would prefer it if they would focus on arming systems that could orbit the earth with laser technology that can take out all hostile orbiting spacecraft and systems designed to end our way of life and that will put us back into the stone age, make us defenseless and unable to communicate!

Long OVERDUE IMHO.
Let's forget all the issues regarding the initiation of yet another arms race which the liberals in this nation have left us ill equipped to afford.

Let's just focus on the physical impracticality of orbital laser weapons platforms intended to destroy other orbital weapons or communications devices.

First to deal with are the power requirements of a weapons grade laser. You have to generate that power in place , and generate it fast enough to make your weapons system capable of repeating shots. It is one thing to do so on a naval vessel the size of a cruiser or aircraft carrier. (Which is just barely becoming practical) It is another to do so on equipment which must be lifted into high Earth orbit.

Second is that space is a great big environment. Your target could well be thousands, or tens of thousands of miles away. Laser beams do have an angle of dispersion. While your initial beam might have the energy to cut 1 inch plate steel at ten inches with a 1/4 inch beam diameter. When that beam has dispersed to a diameter of 20 feet, it is another matter entirely. The intensity is subject to the inverse square law

A laser becomes 1/4 as intense with every 100 meters it travels in space. My example of the 1/4 inch beam turning into a 20 foot beam occurs at 1000 meters. 1/4 inch X 2 to the tenth. If the beam diameter doubles with eveyr 100 meters then its intensity become 1/4 with every 100 meters. or 1 over 4 to the tenth power at 1000 meters.

We would be better off lifting a ma deuce into orbit and firing 750 gr slugs at the target.

Feel free to correct my math. I am a bit out of practice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/uruuh8/if_spaceships_actually_shot_lasers_in_space/

Diffraction guarantees that the energy spreads out as the laser beam travels through space. How fast this happens depends on the wavelength of light being used, and the initial cross section of the (close to) parallel beam as it was shot. The relation is that the angle of spreading is proportional to wavelength divided by the linear dimension of the cross section (diameter of the circle, say), or approximately theta = lambda/d, where theta is in radians.

If you draw an initial beam with diameter d, spreading from each side of that beam with half-angle theta/2 (so the full angular spread is theta), and use the small angle approximation (theta in radians = size of thing divided by distance to thing) then you can find that at some distance L, the new diameter D of the beam is now

D = d + L*theta = d + L*(lambda/d)

Let's run some numbers; I'm going to use lambda = 1000nm because I like round numbers more than I like sticking to the canonical visible wavelengths like red. 1000nm is in the near infrared.

Case #1, my personal blaster, with a beam diameter starting at 1cm = 0.01m = 107 nm. Then theta = lambda/D = 1000nm/107nm = 10-4. We can use the formula for D above to see that the beam has doubled in diameter by the time it's travelled 100 meters. Doubling in diameter causes the intensity of the beam (its "blastiness") to go down by a factor of four. By the time you're a kilometer away, the beam is about 10 times as big in diameter as it originally was, or 100 times less blasty.

Case #2, my ship's laser blaster, which is designed to blow a hole in an enemy ship, and has a starting beam diameter of 1 meter. Here theta = 1000nm/109nm = 10-6 radians. Using the formula above again, we can see the beam diameter doubles in 106 meters.

No need to Idaho_Shooter, and I appreciate your post!

Launchable warheads then, give the job to Musk he will figure it out.

I know it's futuristic thinking, considering we haven't even protected our power grid yet.

Better to be ahead of the curve than behind it!

KB

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Moon landing skeptics make me LOL.

My dear beloved Grandma was born in 1902. She was the most Christian GOOD devout person I have ever known. I well remember her telling all of us through the late 60s that God would never let Man travel to the heavens, not until after Christ returns and takes us back. Man absolutely can NOT go to the moon.

Even she understood after watching Neil Armstrong step off of that lander on the Curtis Mathess.
Same exact story with my grandmother. Devout Baptist, and was sure God wouldn't let man walk on the moon. She only believed it was true when Walter Cronkite said it was.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (allscopedup, 35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.