Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As a respected optical engineer, would you mind commenting on Formidilosis' drop testing please.....the validity of the results, etc. Some say you've done this before, and if you'd rather provide a link to your comments please do. I'd like to see what you have to say Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
His test are uncontrolled and statistically incompetent. The results are meaningless. Moreover, the conclusions he gets are statistically impossible and somewhat contradictory to some very well structured tests I have seen. That's the bad part.

The good part is that the scopes he likes to push for whatever reason are perfectly reasonable scopes and should work just as well as other scopes of similar quality. It is not like he is pushing you to buy crap.

In my personal experience, the bulk of problems with good quality scopes shifting come from mounting issues. Most optics companies do not like to tell their customers that they are [bleep] idiots and can't mount a scope, so they simply swap the scope out and take a loss.

Again, in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone in a gunstore who knows how to mount a scope properly or how to tell when there is an issue with a mount or rings. It is not hard, but seems to be well beyond a typical gunstore employee. Now, I am sure there are perfectly competent gunstore employees out there and I have not done an exhaustive survey, but I have yet to see one.

Given that most riflescopes are made by the same few OEMs, often though not always, to a very similar standard, a lot simply comes down to how much QC was paid for both at the OEM and the company's office. For my dayjob, I make some of the equipment used for this kind of stuff. Some companies take it more seriously than others, but competitive pressure is pushing almost everyone to sorta shape up (there are some exceptions; for example, I am not seeing any improvement with Arken so far).

If you want confidence, use a scope that has been out for a bit, have a backup sighted in and ready to go since anything can fail, make sure you use a torque wrench and keep good records.

If you care about zero retention, stay away from any and all QD mounts. If I wanted to setup a particular scope to increase the probability of a failed side impact test, I would put it into a QD mount.

Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs) and given that I do not have the means to test myself enough identical scopes for any sort of statistical data, for my own personal use I do a very simple thing to deal with infant mortality. Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

ILya

Last edited by koshkin; 03/03/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I suggested to Form that a machine test could be developed to impart the same impact forces on a scope so that it would be repeatable. He was quick to dismiss the notion.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I suggested to Form that a machine test could be developed to impart the same impact forces on a scope so that it would be repeatable. He was quick to dismiss the notion.

Paul;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day down in LA is behaving and you're all well.

Regarding machine tests, that's one of the reasons I enjoy Project Farms in that he seems to take great pains to be consistent in how he gathers his data.

In a former life I did some QA stuff for the cabinet industry I was in and can say in my experience if one wasn't very, VERY consistent in how one tested, well anything really Paul, one didn't learn very much.

Whether that has any bearing on the optics conversations or not is open to discussion for sure, but that's what we found when trying to gain data in order to improve what we were making.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are the brands you find retain zero the best?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by koshkin
In my personal experience, the bulk of problems with good quality scopes shifting come from mounting issues. Most optics companies do not like to tell their customers that they are [bleep] idiots and can't mount a scope, so they simply swap the scope out and take a loss.

ILya

This I very much agree with. Further I think in cases where the scope may be mounted ok but the zero shift is from shifting in the rings from the impact. Any slight shift in the rings causes a pretty big poi difference in most cases. Heck even adding a bit of torque on the rings causes a shift.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for that post koshkin.

Especially enjoyed this:

“Again, in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone in a gunstore who knows how to mount a scope properly or how to tell when there is an issue with a mount or rings. It is not hard, but seems to be well beyond a typical gunstore employee. Now, I am sure there are perfectly competent gunstore employees out there and I have not done an exhaustive survey, but I have yet to see one.”

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs)......

How many companies and which do you have "NDAs" with?

Could you go more into detail about the "well structured tests" you've seen? What did the tests consist of?

Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

I'm sure you're aware that what you posted in the quote above is a small part of what Form does, correct? Are you implying that when you do it, it's valid? Or do you do it knowing it means nothing and isn't statistically meaningful?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/03/24.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
His test are uncontrolled and statistically incompetent. The results are meaningless. Moreover, the conclusions he gets are statistically impossible and somewhat contradictory to some very well structured tests I have seen. That's the bad part.

The good part is that the scopes he likes to push for whatever reason are perfectly reasonable scopes and should work just as well as other scopes of similar quality. It is not like he is pushing you to buy crap.

Again, in my personal experience, I have yet to see someone in a gunstore who knows how to mount a scope properly or how to tell when there is an issue with a mount or rings. It is not hard, but seems to be well beyond a typical gunstore employee. Now, I am sure there are perfectly competent gunstore employees out there and I have not done an exhaustive survey, but I have yet to see one.

Given that most riflescopes are made by the same few OEMs, often though not always, to a very similar standard, a lot simply comes down to how much QC was paid for both at the OEM and the company's office. For my dayjob, I make some of the equipment used for this kind of stuff. Some companies take it more seriously than others, but competitive pressure is pushing almost everyone to sorta shape up (there are some exceptions; for example, I am not seeing any improvement with Arken so far).

If you want confidence, use a scope that has been out for a bit, have a backup sighted in and ready to go since anything can fail, make sure you use a torque wrench and keep good records.

If you care about zero retention, stay away from any and all QD mounts. If I wanted to setup a particular scope to increase the probability of a failed side impact test, I would put it into a QD mount.

Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs) and given that I do not have the means to test myself enough identical scopes for any sort of statistical data, for my own personal use I do a very simple thing to deal with infant mortality. Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

ILya

Just as I've said before Formidilosis is full of crap

Thanks lLYA

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

ILya

I’ve often wondered if that is why Leupold closed up the custom shop,

Imagine people ordering custom turrets or Long range dots based on the fps from the factory box.

I work in the service industry, trust me when I say People/customers can be their own worst enemy,

A handful of people can mess up an entire system to the point that changes are necessary.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very interesting post koshkin. The information you present seems logical to me and I doubt that even the most skilled firearms enthusiast has the means to do statistically accurate testing due to the sample size requirements. Thanks!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Machines for this exist, but are expensive. Many riflescope manufacturers use machines that do this along with live fire testing and a variety of other things that are half way between anecdotal and statistical. When they see something fail is a happy day. That means they have something to tear apart, analyze and fix.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Given that I can not release the results done by the manufacturers (lots of NDAs)......

Could you go more into detail about the "well structured tests" you've seen? What did the tests consist of?

Any scope I might go hunting with is subjected to some number of recoil cycles and then lives in the trunk of my car properly mounted on a rifle in a soft case bouncing around for a couple of weeks. If something snuck by QC, it will come out. Beyond that, you are just playing the odds. Anything can break and occasionally does.

I'm sure you're aware that what you posted in the quote above is a small part of what Form does, correct? Are you implying that when you do it, it's valid? Or do you do it knowing it means nothing and isn't statistically meaningful?

It is most certainly not meaningful in any statistical sense. I am implying it is valid on that one scope and one scope alone. That has no bearing whatsoever on any other sample of the same product line.

I am trying to get past the period where any infant mortality issues with my specific scope might pop up to minimize the chance of catastrophic failure in the field for that one specific scope. That's it. Nothing more.

Also keep in mind that I never fudge the business with the mounts since I have no interest in making any scope look good or look bad.

As for NDAs, one of the first sentences in almost any NDA is that I am not supposed to disclose who that NDA is with.

ILya

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It is most certainly not meaningful in any statistical sense. I am implying it is valid on that one scope and one scope alone. That has no bearing whatsoever on any other sample of the same product line.

I am trying to get past the period where any infant mortality issues with my specific scope might pop up to minimize the chance of catastrophic failure in the field for that one specific scope. That's it. Nothing more.

Also keep in mind that I never fudge the business with the mounts since I have no interest in making any scope look good or look bad.

As for NDAs, one of the first sentences in almost any NDA is that I am not supposed to disclose who that NDA is with.

ILya

What if you performed your own trunk test with four different samples of the same scope and all four failed to retain zero. Would you be concerned or just chalk it up to bad luck?

What does "udge the business with the mounts" mean and what are you inferring?

So you can't talk about your NDAs, but you can make accusations about others? (It's well documented you've accused form of being paid by optics companies) Seems a bit disingenuous to me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bwinters
What are the brands you find retain zero the best?

I do not have any statistical data to share, so it is not hugely relevant to the brands themselves. Most well made scopes seem to hold up well. I tend to use pretty expensive stuff and I do not shoot ultralight boomers. Most scopes I have run into in recent years hold up just fine in my experience (i.e. the specific scopes I have tested).

For some brands, there is enough anecdotal data to suspect that there is something there: tracking issues with older Leupolds, durability with several Swaros (I have seen enough 1-6x24 Z6i scopes die at 3gun matches to think there might be something there, for example), QC issues with Arken, odd problems with older Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback HP scopes, issues with Gen1 PST scopes (they changed significantly through their production run to become pretty good in the end), etc

Most newer scopes from respectable brands seem to hold up quite well. Chinese OEMs got a LOT better at this and that put pressure on OEMs in the Phillipines and other places. Essentially, rising tide, lifts all boats.

Statistically speaking, with companies that ship large volumes, you will see more failures in terms of straight number. If, let's say 1% of a particular product is likely to fail, and one company ships 500 scopes while the other ships 5000, you will be much more likely to hear about failures from the latter. People with scopes that break are pissed and vent online. They are a lot more vocal than the ones who are out in the field with perfectly functioning scopes. However, it is the same 1% failure rate, so keep that in mind.

That's one of the problems with anecdotal data: on one hand you should not ignore it. On the other, you should not give it too much credence.

There is also always a source problem. I had one guy complain that his Razor Gen3 6-56x56 in ARC M-Brace mount is shifting zero. Pretty damn nice components. He claimed he used a torque wrench to mount it. He probably did. He had a slightly undersize picatinny rail and he bungled up the tightening sequence on the clamp. The scope was slowly and consistently shifting zero laterally. There was no way to convince him that he is an idiot and there is nothing wrong with the scope although I re-mounted everything in front of him and problems stopped. He had the manufacturer swap out the scope. Then he sold the replacement scope. It has been a bit over a year now and he still tells everyone that his Razor failed. Otherwise, he would have to admit to himself that he did something retarded and that is more than he can bring himself to do.

Or, there is a well known internet blowhard who has been telling everyone for years that multiple Razor 1-6x24 scopes have been shifting zero on him when bumped. Sounds good, except he had them in Bobro QD mounts (admittedly quite a few years ago). If you are planning to beat the crap out of your weapon system, a QD mount is usually the weak point in the system. Here is the fun part: if you ask him now, he will absolutely deny that he every used Bobro mounts. People are funny that way.

That is one of the reasons I do not spend a ton of time on durability issues and I never claim that I can do any statistical analysis. I simply do not have the ability to do that.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

ILya

What if you performed your own trunk test with four different samples of the same scope and all four failed to retain zero. Would you be concerned or just chalk it up to bad luck?

So you can't talk about your NDAs, but you can make accusations about others? (It's well documented you've accused form of being paid by optics companies) Seems a bit disingenuous to me.

That was supposed to say "fudge". Typo.

Four is not enough for anything statistical, but it would be more significant than a sample of one. It would still not tell us anything about a probability of a long term problem, but it would tell us more about the possibility of an early issue or lack thereof, than looking at just one. Not a whole lot more though since it is not like I have a set off road course I drive through to replicate the exact impacts. There are always small manufacturing inconsistencies and machining marks. Sometimes simply using the scope works through that. Again, it does nothing statistical, but it is meaningful for that specific scope. I remember I once had a 5-25x56 Strike Eagle that did a weird tracking thing. My best guess is that there was a tiny machining mark on the turret contact pad. After twisting the turrets back and forth a few dozen times it went away. My best guess is that the machining mark simply wore in. Does that imply anything for the rest of the Strike Eagle scopes? Not a damn thing.

ILya

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

ILya

Thanks Ilya. What’s your scope mounting process? Do you bed bases, lap rings, bed scope in rings? Do you have specific bases and rings you prefer? Thanks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mod7rem

ILya

Thanks Ilya. What’s your scope mounting process? Do you bed bases, lap rings, bed scope in rings? Do you have specific bases and rings you prefer? Thanks.

I started going through different rings and mounts and keeping a catalogue of what I find. Most of what I look is bad engineering. It is surprisingly common.

In modern world, you should not have to lap anything. Bedding bases is sometimes a good idea if the receiver is not up to par. I tend to shoot rifles where none of that is required, but it can go either way. If I am messing with something old or cheap, I use Burris Signature rings of some sort. Those self aligning inserts take care of non-uniformities.

With single piece mounts, Area 419 is one of the best I have seen to date. I am very partial to Aadmount, but Jon stopped making them for now. He is really busy with his other products. Badger has been consistent in my practice. With lightweight single piece mounts, Reptilia is excellent. Horizontally split Warne rings are pretty good. Element rings seem to be well designed. There are a few others.

There are, of course, many I have not seen, so I do not have an opinion on them.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Kenneth

ILya

I’ve often wondered if that is why Leupold closed up the custom shop,

Imagine people ordering custom turrets or Long range dots based on the fps from the factory box.

I work in the service industry, trust me when I say People/customers can be their own worst enemy,

A handful of people can mess up an entire system to the point that changes are necessary.

Custom shop was bound to be a can of worms. I do not know why the closed it, but I would not be surprised if this was one of the main reasons. It could also be personnel issues.

ILya

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

ILya

Four is not enough for anything statistical, but it would be more significant than a sample of one. It would still not tell us anything about a probability of a long term problem, but it would tell us more about the possibility of an early issue or lack thereof, than looking at just one. Not a whole lot more though since it is not like I have a set off road course I drive through to replicate the exact impacts. There are always small manufacturing inconsistencies and machining marks. Sometimes simply using the scope works through that. Again, it does nothing statistical, but it is meaningful for that specific scope. I remember I once had a 5-25x56 Strike Eagle that did a weird tracking thing. My best guess is that there was a tiny machining mark on the turret contact pad. After twisting the turrets back and forth a few dozen times it went away. My best guess is that the machining mark simply wore in. Does that imply anything for the rest of the Strike Eagle scopes? Not a damn thing.

ILya

I meant to type "fudge". So that statement was basically saying you know how to mount scopes?

The issue with your strike eagle, what if it occurred with 6 different strike eagles? What would the statistical probability be of getting 6 that malfunctioned? How many would need to be tested to be statistically valid? 50, 100, 1k?

Do you know of any optic company that tests rifle scopes for zero retention from impacts? As in mounting them to a rifle, shoot, impact, shoot? If so, who, if not why?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve done various ‘quality engineering’ tasks in my career. A very high confidence level for a particular variable can be obtained by measuring that variable on 30 sample parts that are all produced using the exact same process, materials, tools, etc… However, the level of confidence needed (acceptance criteria) is established based on a lot of inputs (anticipated production/sales volume, acceptable deviation from nominal, severity of non-conformance, etc…). Not all brands will come up with the same acceptance criteria based on their business model.

Something to keep in mind is that any variable (dimension, material property, etc) that could result in a failure, like a shift in zero or tracking variance, has to be collected and monitored in order to ensure conformance. Usually, this is multiple characteristics on each individual part. In the case of a scope there would be multiple parts that could give similar failure modes. I note that to say that for lower volume brands, it may well be less costly to fix as fail, based on the customer’s feedback, rather than invest in the resources to develop detailed quality control plans and maintain them.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

ILya

ILya

I meant to type "fudge". So that statement was basically saying you know how to mount scopes?

The issue with your strike eagle, what if it occurred with 6 different strike eagles? What would the statistical probability be of getting 6 that malfunctioned? How many would need to be tested to be statistically valid? 50, 100, 1k?

Do you know of any optic company that tests rifle scopes for zero retention from impacts? As in mounting them to a rifle, shoot, impact, shoot? If so, who, if not why?

Yes, I know how to mount scopes, but the statement was meant to say that if someone wants to get a particular result it is very easy to do so with selective scope mounting. Frankly, it is a pretty straightforward thing and it is remarkable how many problems come from scope mounting. Yet, they do.

No scope company tests every scope that way. Every respectable company I can think of does that during the product development process many times. Hell, I've done it for a couple of them in the past. It ain't rocket science if you pay attention to consistency. Expensive scopes get some amount of individual evaluation, i.e. every scope gets looked at. As they become less expensive, companies do spot checks. For some larger companies, they will pull a scope from every lot and beat it up a little to see if there are systemic lot to lot variations.

How much testing is statistically significant is hard to say because lot to lot variation plays a role. Assuming manufacturing is consistent and expected failure rate is in the 1% to 4% range depending on the scope price and build quality, looking at 40-50 scopes should be reasonably indicative. More is, of course, better. Some of that can be short-circuited with accelerated wear testing. Some companies do it, but it is hard to say how many.

Here is the rub: most companies do not make enough scope to easily afford to go bang up 50 of them, so there is a lot of educated guessing and trusting the OEM happening.

Once the scope is out, a lot is learned from simply analyzing service department records. That's usually where we find the most statistically significant data on how different designs hold up under average use.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Once the scope is out, a lot is learned from simply analyzing service department records. That's usually where we find the most statistically significant data on how different designs hold up under average use.

That's the strategy where the customer who bought the product also serves as the durability test function.

I'll take a guess that companies who use that strategy as a principle measure of quality/durability speak the loudest about their exceptional warranty/customer service policy in media ads.

Some companies DO have either in house or use test labs to validate their product. My comment above is not specifically aimed at optics companies.

GOA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

That's the strategy where the customer who bought the product also serves as the durability test function.

I'll take a guess that companies who use that strategy as a principle measure of quality/durability speak the loudest about their exceptional warranty/customer service policy in media ads.

Some companies DO have either in house or use test labs to validate their product. My comment above is not specifically aimed at optics companies.

With most companies I know, marketing people and service/repair people do not talk to each other very much. There are, of course, exceptions.

I recall a guy from one of the Instagram optics companies (Atibal, I think) telling me that all this product development product is a bunch of nonsense and he can get any product configuration to marker in 6 to 12 months: just tell the chinese what specs you want and they make it. Well, that explains his products.

Serious companies have serious engineering groups and serious quality departments.

ILya

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
koshkin, aside from Arken's apparent lack of interest in QC and CS, have you found their products to perform pretty well?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm pretty sure that Form makes the same sort of claim in his tests.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider
koshkin, aside from Arken's apparent lack of interest in QC and CS, have you found their products to perform pretty well?

Hard to say. I have one here and it works well for the money. However, the failure rates on them seem to be so high that I do not know what to make of them. I know one Youtuber who received six different Arkens over the last couple of years and three had to go back for various problems. At every rimfire match, when I talk to the match director, they say that every match they run, one or two Arkens go down.
They get the look and feel right, but seem to need some work on the fundamentals.

For me, when I review a scope, I have to have reasonable faith that they make them consistently. I am sorta rooting for Arken to get it all worked out since I like what they are doing with the potential value proposition. Until I see some consistency, I'll be watching from the sidelines.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the reply!

This has been very informative and makes sense to me from a practical level. I'm a scientist by training and statistics make sense sense to me, especially on this subject. There is no such thing as a zero failure rate. I've also long thought that some companies use buyers as their QA/QC department.

You mentioned a few mounts I've seen but not used - I'll have a look.

I hope we can keep this respectful and learn - and not turn this into an aggressive name-calling pissing match.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember I once had a 5-25x56 Strike Eagle that did a weird tracking thing. My best guess is that there was a tiny machining mark on the turret contact pad. After twisting the turrets back and forth a few dozen times it went away. My best guess is that the machining mark simply wore in.

ILya

While not the scope you reference, I posted on this a while back with a pic or two so people could see the problem. When I took the scope apart, the erector tube had some nasty gouges where the turret pad contacted it. After I polished those out, the scope tracked repeatably and very close to the mfgs stated incrementals for adjustment.

Thanks for your participation.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to echo the sentiments of bwinters. Very good thread. Thanks to the knowledgable contributors. Keep it going.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never found it a problem,to simply procure that which intrigues and flog upon same. If it connects dots,I buy more. Hint.

Not that the Fixture Fhuqkery and lack of Live Rounds,ain't funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Koshkin,
You say that most reputable brands do some sort of drop or impact test for zero retention. Shoot to verify baseline, drop or create impact of some sort, then shoot again to verify zero retention. I think that’s what you said. Are they actually doing this in a manner that imparts lateral force via side impacts? To mimic actual drops that might occur in the field? Or via some sort of machine that only mimics longitudinal force (recoil simulation)?

I haven’t seen much of the former (outside of Nightforce). I have seen plenty of the latter, and frankly it doesn’t mean much to me. Of course a scope should hold up to recoil as that’s the very job it was assigned to do. That’s a minimum level expectation. Holding up to recoil of hunting rounds, magnums included, is really nothing exceptional, imo. Please show me exceptional so that I know it will easily hold up to the routine. Of course I also expect the tires I buy to be round, hold air, and roll down the road too.

And if a scope is truly drop tested/torture tested in some manner, why isn’t that shown in marketing materials? Nightforce seems to be the only company that actually demonstrates their durability claims. Consequently, I own more NF scopes than any other brand, and they are on all of my most important hunting rifles.

As a hunter, durability is my #1 concern. I buy quality scopes that naturally have good glass. The glass nuances and subtleties on $1000+ scopes are mostly meaningless for most hunters. Why do marketing departments focus so much energy on stuff that matters less? Show us more of the torture testing and we’d probably buy a lot more of those scopes.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/04/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Koshkin,
You say that most reputable brands do some sort of drop or impact test for zero retention. Shoot to verify baseline, drop or create impact of some sort, then shoot again to verify. I think that’s what you said. Are they actually doing this in a manner that imparts lateral force via side impacts? To mimic actual drops that might occur in the field? Or only via some sort of machine that only mimics longitudinal force (recoil simulation)?

I haven’t seen much of the former (outside of Nightforce). I have seen plenty of the latter, and frankly it doesn’t mean much to me. Of course a scope should hold up to recoil as that’s the very job it was assigned to do. That’s a minimum level expectation. Holding up to recoil of hunting rounds, magnums included, is really nothing exceptional, imo. Please show me exceptional so that I know it will easily hold up to the routine. Of course I also expect the tires I buy to be round and roll down the road too.

And if a scope is truly drop tested/torture tested in some manner, why isn’t that shown in marketing materials? Nightforce seems to be the only company that actually demonstrates their durability claims. Consequently, I own more NF scopes than any other brand, and they are on all of my most important hunting rifles.

As a hunter, durability is my #1 concern. I buy quality scopes that naturally have good glass. The glass nuances and subtleties on $1000+ scopes are mostly meaningless for most hunters. Why do marketing departments focus so much energy on stuff that matters less? Show us more of the torture testing and we’d probably buy a lot more of those scopes.

That's the thing - manufacturers like Leupold have a "trust me bro, our scopes are fine, you're just mounting them wrong" attitude, like the claims on their now defunct video. If they showed good testing we'd be more likely to believe the claims.
The thing with Form's tests is they might not have been statistically viable, but they often tended to reflect the results many of us were already seeing in the field with the exact scopes that were failing.
If someone has a better test, bring it on. In the meantime, we go with the data presented in the tests available to us.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last NIB Reupold I bought. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Set aboard my 18lb+ Bart' barreled Vudoo at 50yds,with 20 Mil's in the erector,between shots. Hint.

Remounted it a coupla weeks later,for more laughs. 3-shot cluster with only zoom manipulations(swung stop to stop twice),the wild brace with 10 Mil's of erector between pokes. Hint.

As per always,when the Swiffer 5-20x HD FFP MQ LitBitch goes back on board,it's in the .2's. Hint.

Never not interesting,to extrapolate side by each,with Live Fire. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This as an interesting 4 mins or so. Not really whacks but pressure on a scope.

Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Last NIB Reupold I bought. Hint.

Set aboard my 18lb+ Bart' barreled Vudoo at 50yds,with 20 Mil's in the erector,between shots. Hint.

Remounted it a coupla weeks later,for more laughs. 3-shot cluster with only zoom manipulations(swung stop to stop twice),the wild brace with 10 Mil's of erector between pokes. Hint.

As per always,when the Swiffer 5-20x HD FFP MQ LitBitch goes back on board,it's in the .2's. Hint.

Never not interesting,to extrapolate side by each,with Live Fire. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

You're preaching to the choir

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread, thank you for the information.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
isn't big stick and ubber fan boy of Arken?

here is a leupold tracking test for your enjoyment.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 03/04/24.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The thing with Form's tests is they might not have been statistically viable, but they often tended to reflect the results many of us were already seeing in the field with the exact scopes that were failing.

This.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cumsincowboys finds it disconcerting,that folks actually shoot rifles that exist,with Live Ammo. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cumsincowboys finds it disconcerting,that folks actually shoot rifle that exist,with Live Ammo. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................

shooting it more isn't going to fix your leupold little twig

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist and Live Ammo. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

ILya

What brand of scopes do you prefer?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I do not have one brand that I prefer for everything. Each particular models stands on its own merits. I have a significant number of scopes at home and they rotate all the time. I am travelling at the moment, so I am not even going to try to remember them all. I tend to use higher end stuff for my own personal purposes when I am not testing something specific. I end up using quite a few Tangent and March scopes when left to my own devices, but I have a good assortment of riflescopes from Vortex, Tract, Burris, Primary Arms, Meopta, Trijicon, SwampFox, Athlon, SWFA, Element, Delta and likely a few others I am not thinking of at the moment.

ILya

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for input

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Kewl.

I have "wares the exist" plus "Live ammo".

I can even up the bid to real live video in hunting use.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the Campfire
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

ILya
Is that the Vortex paycheck talking? Lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Kewl.

I have "wares the exist" plus "Live ammo".

I can even up the bid to real live video in hunting use.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the Campfire
A "5 star facial" dumped on BS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Koshkin,
You say that most reputable brands do some sort of drop or impact test for zero retention. Shoot to verify baseline, drop or create impact of some sort, then shoot again to verify. I think that’s what you said. Are they actually doing this in a manner that imparts lateral force via side impacts? To mimic actual drops that might occur in the field? Or only via some sort of machine that only mimics longitudinal force (recoil simulation)?

I haven’t seen much of the former (outside of Nightforce). I have seen plenty of the latter, and frankly it doesn’t mean much to me. Of course a scope should hold up to recoil as that’s the very job it was assigned to do. That’s a minimum level expectation. Holding up to recoil of hunting rounds, magnums included, is really nothing exceptional, imo. Please show me exceptional so that I know it will easily hold up to the routine. Of course I also expect the tires I buy to be round and roll down the road too.

That's the thing - manufacturers like Leupold have a "trust me bro, our scopes are fine, you're just mounting them wrong" attitude, like the claims on their now defunct video. If they showed good testing we'd be more likely to believe the claims.
If someone has a better test, bring it on. In the meantime, we go with the data presented in the tests available to us.
Exactly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by qwk

ILya
Is that the Vortex paycheck talking? Lol

I'd bet so...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Pardon wares that exist out in the field doing real work.

Originally Posted by Everyone on the 24hr Campfire

John Burns

I have all the sources.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Stick's have virtual problems, or owner induced puking. Lol

He warranties his own throw away scopes by having a closet full.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rent free in so many noggins.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Not that many, actually. It's the same four or five chihuahuas yapping at the ankles over and over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess my questions got dodged?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Did I miss a question somewhere in there?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Did I miss a question somewhere in there?
Yes, halfway down page 2.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
He’a not going to answer that, because it’s a conflict of interest. It’s pretty apparent that most manufacturers don’t do any meaningful testing.

One doesn’t have to be an engineer to figure out that live fire testing is the only meaningful durability test for a riflescope.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by qwk
He’a not going to answer that, because it’s a conflict of interest. It’s pretty apparent that most manufacturers don’t do any meaningful testing.

One doesn’t have to be an engineer to figure out that live fire testing is the only meaningful durability test for a riflescope.
That was my understanding too. But I believe Koshkin stated otherwise earlier in the thread, which I why I asked for clarification.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Koshkin,
You say that most reputable brands do some sort of drop or impact test for zero retention. Shoot to verify baseline, drop or create impact of some sort, then shoot again to verify zero retention. I think that’s what you said. Are they actually doing this in a manner that imparts lateral force via side impacts? To mimic actual drops that might occur in the field? Or via some sort of machine that only mimics longitudinal force (recoil simulation)?

I haven’t seen much of the former (outside of Nightforce). I have seen plenty of the latter, and frankly it doesn’t mean much to me. Of course a scope should hold up to recoil as that’s the very job it was assigned to do. That’s a minimum level expectation. Holding up to recoil of hunting rounds, magnums included, is really nothing exceptional, imo. Please show me exceptional so that I know it will easily hold up to the routine. Of course I also expect the tires I buy to be round, hold air, and roll down the road too.

I missed this one earlier.

All the major manufacturers I have talked to in any sort of a detail do side impact tests in addition to the recoil test. Some have the equipment to do it. Some rig things up out of what they have. It is a tricky thing to do in a repeatable manner without fairly expensive equipment. I obviously have not talked to all of the riflescope manufacturers, so I can not tell if they all do it or do not do it. I have not done an exhaustive survey of that.

I am not aware of Nightforce demonstrating anything. They talk about it in their marketing literature and do an occasional publicity stunt or two. It is mostly nonsense, but it looks impressive and seems to be a successful marketing technique for them. It is hard to estimate exactly, but I suspect Nightforce spends more marketing money per scope than anyone else and it has worked well for them. They seem to be falling a little behind on product development at the moment. Hopefully, they will start releasing something new soon or they will Leupold themselves into a tricky situation.

Back when Nightforce was a fairly new company and they were working on NXS scopes, they did a significant amount of work with their OEM on enhancing the reliability of their designs. I think they were one of the first companies or the first to work that closely with the OEM during the design process. It is a good bit more common now. In many ways, Nightforce is probably responsible for how robust many of LOW's designs are. You can design for reliability and that acquired knowledge went into LOW's designs that they do for other customers as well.

None of the marketing departments show you any torture testing. Actual testing is a very different thing from marketing stunts. Why marketing departments of optics companies do or do not focus on certain aspects of their products is not a question I can answer. I do not do marketing for anyone and I have no clue how they make marketing decisions.

ILya

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Koshkin,

All the major manufacturers I have talked to in any sort of a detail do side impact tests in addition to the recoil test. Some have the equipment to do it. Some rig things up out of what they have. It is a tricky thing to do in a repeatable manner without fairly expensive equipment. I obviously have not talked to all of the riflescope manufacturers, so I can not tell if they all do it or do not do it. I have not done an exhaustive survey of that.

I am not aware of Nightforce demonstrating anything. They talk about it in their marketing literature and do an occasional publicity stunt or two. It is mostly nonsense, but it looks impressive and seems to be a successful marketing technique for them. It is hard to estimate exactly, but I suspect Nightforce spends more marketing money per scope than anyone else and it has worked well for them. They seem to be falling a little behind on product development at the moment. Hopefully, they will start releasing something new soon or they will Leupold themselves into a tricky situation.

Back when Nightforce was a fairly new company and they were working on NXS scopes, they did a significant amount of work with their OEM on enhancing the reliability of their designs. I think they were one of the first companies or the first to work that closely with the OEM during the design process. It is a good bit more common now. In many ways, Nightforce is probably responsible for how robust many of LOW's designs are. You can design for reliability and that acquired knowledge went into LOW's designs that they do for other customers as well.

None of the marketing departments show you any torture testing. Actual testing is a very different thing from marketing stunts. Why marketing departments of optics companies do or do not focus on certain aspects of their products is not a question I can answer. I do not do marketing for anyone and I have no clue how they make marketing decisions.

ILya

Interesting. If I were involved with marketing of a riflescope, I would beat on them, and show them holding zero. That would be the basis of my marketing campaign. If you don’t have durability and zero retention in a scope, nothing else matters. At least not to me.

Stunt or not, that NF video where they freeze the scope in a block of ice, shoot the scope with a shotgun, pound a big nail into a stump with it, and then put it back on the rifle and shoot is a powerful and convincing video. There’s also the video of the NF guy beating the scope on its side and putting it back on a collimator. Despite your claim of NF not demonstrating anything, that sure demonstrates something to me — that the manufacturer has confidence in their product. I’d love to see Swaro or Zeiss or Leica, for example, do something similar. The fact that they don’t speaks volumes. Pretty glass, questionable construction. It’s only reasonable to surmise that if a manufacturer were actually building demonstrably durable scopes, they would be marketing such. I’m in no position to question your knowledge of the industry, but as a consumer it’s hard to believe that everyone is impact testing, as you state.

It doesn’t have to be that elaborate, but I find it shocking that the vast majority of scope manufacturers show no demonstration of durability at all in their marketing materials. If, as you say, “All the major manufacturers I have talked to in any sort of a detail do side impact tests” yet they are not showing us, they are doing themselves a disservice as it creates a perception that they are doing nothing. Only Trijicon, NF and kinda March (that I am aware of) show or make any claim at all of performing any sort of impact testing. Their loss.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/05/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There may well be other videos from other companies out there but I saw this one a while back. Not sure if this procedure adequately tests the long-term durability of their scopes but if March does this to every scope they build and sell then that's something I guess.

https://marchscopes.com/news/15415/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Koshkin,

ILya

Interesting. If I were involved with marketing of a riflescope, I would beat on them, and show them holding zero. That would be the basis of my marketing campaign. If you don’t have durability and zero retention in a scope, nothing else matters. At least not to me.

Stunt or not, that NF video where they freeze the scope in a block of ice, shoot the scope with a shotgun, pound a big nail into a stump with it, and then put it back on the rifle and shoot is a powerful and convincing video. There’s also the video of the NF guy beating the scope on its side and putting it back on a collimator. Despite your claim of NF not demonstrating anything, that sure demonstrates something to me — that the manufacturer has confidence in their product. I’d love to see Swaro or Zeiss or Leica, for example, do something similar. The fact that they don’t speaks volumes. Pretty glass, questionable construction.

It doesn’t have to be that elaborate, but I find it shocking that the vast majority of scope manufacturers show no demonstration of durability at all in their marketing materials. If, as you say, “All the major manufacturers I have talked to in any sort of a detail do side impact tests” yet they are not showing us, they are doing themselves a disservice as it creates a perception that they are doing nothing. Only Trijicon, NF and kinda March (that I am aware of) show or make any claim at all of performing any sort of impact testing. Their loss.

I suppose that confirms my earlier statement that Nightforce's marketing is very effective.

ILya

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Koshkin,

ILya

Stunt or not, that NF video where they freeze the scope in a block of ice, shoot the scope with a shotgun, pound a big nail into a stump with it, and then put it back on the rifle and shoot is a powerful and convincing video. There’s also the video of the NF guy beating the scope on its side and putting it back on a collimator. Despite your claim of NF not demonstrating anything, that sure demonstrates something to me — that the manufacturer has confidence in their product. I’d love to see Swaro or Zeiss or Leica, for example, do something similar. The fact that they don’t speaks volumes. Pretty glass, questionable construction.

I suppose that confirms my earlier statement that Nightforce's marketing is very effective.

ILya
It sure does.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Yes, but this is recoil testing. Not impact testing. Quite misleading. Recoil is not impact.

K
K
The fact that Nightforce does this to every scope that is manufactured before it it shipped out seems a bit above and beyond just a "publicity stunt".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by John_Havard
There may well be other videos from other companies out there but I saw this one a while back. Not sure if this procedure adequately tests the long-term durability of their scopes but if March does this to every scope they build and sell then that's something I guess.

https://marchscopes.com/news/15415/
Yes, that’s something. Which is why I listed March in the three I’m aware of that actually market the fact that they do some impact (not just recoil) testing. Some live fire testing included in that video would be helpful too, but that’s better than nothing - which is what I remain convinced is what most manufacturers are doing. I’d love to be convinced otherwise, but alas, despite claims to the contrary here, I remain skeptical.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by keeseckb
The fact that Nightforce does this to every scope that is manufactured before it it shipped out seems a bit above and beyond just a "publicity stunt".

Agreed!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No wonder my Nightforce took a dump.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Koshkin,

ILya
Curious, if you are able to provide more detail, when you do work for a company around which aspect specifically does it typically involve? For those of us who aren’t as familiar with your work, could you please expound on exactly what it is you do? If not marketing, then what exactly? Are we talking about engineering of the optical appearance or function of the glass specifically? As in maximizing the image quality? Or does your experience involve engineering of the mechanical parts and construction of the scope?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Stunt or not, that NF video where they freeze the scope in a block of ice, shoot the scope with a shotgun, pound a big nail into a stump with it, and then put it back on the rifle and shoot is a powerful and convincing video. There’s also the video of the NF guy beating the scope on its side and putting it back on a collimator. Despite your claim of NF not demonstrating anything, that sure demonstrates something to me — that the manufacturer has confidence in their product. I’d love to see Swaro or Zeiss or Leica, for example, do something similar. The fact that they don’t speaks volumes. Pretty glass, questionable construction. It’s only reasonable to surmise that if a manufacturer were actually building demonstrably durable scopes, they would be marketing such. I’m in no position to question your knowledge of the industry, but as a consumer it’s hard to believe that everyone is impact testing, as you state.

It doesn’t have to be that elaborate, but I find it shocking that the vast majority of scope manufacturers show no demonstration of durability at all in their marketing materials. If, as you say, “All the major manufacturers I have talked to in any sort of a detail do side impact tests” yet they are not showing us, they are doing themselves a disservice as it creates a perception that they are doing nothing. Only Trijicon, NF and kinda March (that I am aware of) show or make any claim at all of performing any sort of impact testing. Their loss.[/quote]

This...exactly. I'm not necessarily drinking the Form koolaid, but anyone that is questioning the mechanical reliability of Nightforce is simply wrong...or revealing their own biases. It's not just "marketing" if it's true. I won't argue other scope manufacturers have more "features", but if dialing values, RTZ, and zero retention are the primary goal (and they certainly are for me)...I'd sure like to know what scope manufacturer does that better.

That last part isn't rhetorical btw. If anyone believes there is a more reliable scope lineup than NF for tracking, return to zero, and zero retention as the primary goals then I'm all ears.

Last edited by iddave; 03/05/24.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
People with scopes that break are pissed and vent online.
ILya

There is the nugget in the downward spiral that followed

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do not believe that any scope manufacturer, physically beats and Torture tests every single scope that comes off the production line,

Not happening.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Koshkin,

ILya
Curious, if you are able to provide more detail, when you do work for a company around which aspect specifically does it typically involve? For those of us who aren’t as familiar with your work, could you please expound on exactly what it is you do? If not marketing, then what exactly? Are we talking about engineering of the optical appearance or function of the glass specifically? As in maximizing the image quality? Or does your experience involve engineering of the mechanical parts and construction of the scope?

On my own, I do some general consulting and occasionally design reticles for different companies. I am seldom involved in the engineering process. Sometimes I help with concept origination, figuring out what is important and what isn't, etc.

For my dayjob, the company I work for makes test equipment for all sorts of things including DVOs. www.ci-systems.com

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted this link in the past to a white paper regarding durability test development that SOPMOD contracted for ACOG and other firearm optics.

Worth a read just for fun.

https://re-test.com/uploads/shock-amplifier-1131275080.pdf

GOA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Koshkin,

ILya

On my own, I do some general consulting and occasionally design reticles for different companies. I am seldom involved in the engineering process. Sometimes I help with concept origination I, figuring out what is important and what isn't, etc.

For my dayjob, the company I work for makes test equipment for all sorts of things including DVOs. www.ci-systems.com

ILya
Interesting, sounds like a fun job. Please communicate that durability is MOST important. I’m glad some companies are starting to take notice and build better stuff, because all the features in the world mean nothing if the scope fails to work. IMO, we don’t need more scope options with more features. We do need more scope options that hold zero reliably and continue to do so after reasonable impact.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Note that Leupold's ad about testing on 'The Punisher' says: "Each scope design wink is tested...".

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not believe that any scope manufacturer, physically beats and Torture tests every single scope that comes off the production line,

Not happening.

If that was the case, several hundred owners wouldn't have had to send their NF 15-55's back because they wouldn't track, hold zero or a combination of both. They've corrected the issue and that model has become very reliable. cool

Not a knock on NF as I like their stuff...just a reality check on a $2K scope 'oopsie'.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Note that Leupold's add about testing on 'The Punisher' says: "Each scope design wink is tested...".

Good shootin' -Al

That was the way I interpreted the statement too…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
K

Not happening.

https://exomtngear.com/blogs/podcast/375

About the 15 min mark they explain that every scope is ran through that test in the video I posted earlier before it's put in the package.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keeseckb

Not happening.

https://exomtngear.com/blogs/podcast/375

About the 15 min mark they explain that every scope is ran through that test in the video I posted earlier before it's put in the package.

Currently listening to that podcast, thanks for the link.

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the link!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
So much for marketing gimmicks I’m guessing. Not a huge NF guy but to to think they haven’t earned their place is laughable.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From people who actually shoot, a survey.
Keep in mind a couple things:
1) They may actually own more than one sample of the scope they reported.
2) These scopes are all something like a 4x or a 1-4x.
3) This is a survey of HP shooters, so the knobs get twisted constantly.

Looks to me like March is a champ, along with Sightron and... Gasp! "Reupold". laugh

You only get info like this from real shooters, not from guys who can't even set up an AR scope and shoot VW Microbus-sized rocks off a backpack.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Looks to me like March is a champ, along with Sightron and... Gasp! "Reupold". laugh

You only get info like this from real shooters, not from guys who can't even set up an AR scope and shoot VW Microbus-sized rocks off a backpack.

It's small so bear with me. If # returned is inside the number used - based on percentages, I show 33 Leupold scopes used with 7 going back for a return rate of what? 21%?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the 12 plus years on the line at Ridgway.
1000 yard silhouette.
.I've never heard of one NSX going back for repair.
Or a March for that matter.
There's a lot more NSXs on the line than March .
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you have to solicit charts and quote others,you simply don’t shoot much. I’ve hundreds of scopes and extrapolations come easily. Sadly Reupold’s cheese has slid of their cracker. My newest $2000 Reupld MK5 HD is an incredibly epic piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Just sayin’…………

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to solicit charts and quote others,you simply don’t shoot much. I’ve hundreds of scopes and extrapolations come easily. Sadly Reupold’s cheese has slid of their cracker. My newest $2000 Reupld MK5 HD is an incredibly epic piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Just sayin’…………
That is so much BS. I've shot a lot of the crap scopes you so champion. And they were... crap!

I think the Athlon I had lasted about 1 week before I sent it back. It wasn't even worth asking for a repair. Refund only.

Last edited by Tyrone; 03/07/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Tyrone

It's small so bear with me. If # returned is inside the number used - based on percentages, I show 33 Leupold scopes used with 7 going back for a return rate of what? 21%?
The Mark AR throws those numbers. I think a lot of those went back for reticle &/or turret replacements. Not really repair, but customization.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist and the Facts associated,as you Pretend aloud with your GoogleFu. Hint.

How many times a day,do you think about me? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
March scopes are essentially handbuilt. While anything can and does occasionally break, March scopes are built to a very high standard. Now, they have their own schtick in that they tend to (most of the time) go for fairly complicated designs that are light and/or short for what they are. However, the build quality is quite exceptional.

One interesting tidbit is that the engineering team at LOW that worked on the designs that made Nightforce's reputation (NXS, mostly) at some point left and started Deon Optical (that's March). They had an idea of the riflescope line to make that was not appropriate for LOW's OEM model, so they started their own shop.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They seem to be falling a little behind on product development at the moment. Hopefully, they will start releasing something new soon or they will Leupold themselves into a tricky situation.

ILya

Snipped your post down just to address this point.

Many simply don't understand the volume of scopes Leupold sells. When a company sells everything it can produce before it is produced on has to wonder what more can be done so using "Leupold" as a verb is sort of strange in that context.

Leupold just released the new MK 4 line which has met with, litterally, unprecedented demand. Off the charts level of demand.

I get that it's sort of a hobby here to be against the biggest player in the scope market but to act like Leupold is behind in inovation is simply silly.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They seem to be falling a little behind on product development at the moment. Hopefully, they will start releasing something new soon or they will Leupold themselves into a tricky situation.

ILya

Many simply don't understand the volume of scopes Leupold sells. When a company sells everything it can produce before it is produced on has to wonder what more can be done so using "Leupold" as a verb is sort of strange in that context.

Leupold just released the new MK 4 line which has met with, litterally, unprecedented demand. Off the charts level of demand.

I get that it's sort of a hobby here to be against the biggest player in the scope market but to act like Leupold is behind in inovation is simply silly.

To be fair tho - demand isn't a measurement for innovation.

Tacomas have very high demand but they are NOT innovative. Push rod v6 with low hp/tq and fuel mileage, manual trans, body on frame etc. High demand, well behind the curve in innovation. People buy them IN SPITE of this.

That said - end of the day a scope has 1 maybe 2 jobs - ensure the bullet goes where you intend it via the crosshairs. Outside of clarity and robustness, what else can/should be improved in a riflescope as we currently know it? Automatic ranging maybe?

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

ILya

Tacomas have very high demand but they are NOT innovative. Push rod v6 with low hp/tq and fuel mileage, manual trans, body on frame etc. High demand, well behind the curve in innovation. People buy them IN SPITE of this.

That said - end of the day a scope has 1 maybe 2 jobs - ensure the bullet goes where you intend it via the crosshairs. Outside of clarity and robustness, what else can/should be improved in a riflescope as we currently know it? Automatic ranging maybe?

Exactly. Innovation is way down the list when I’m scope shopping. A simple job doesn’t need much innovation, it needs reliability.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
March scopes are essentially handbuilt. While anything can and does occasionally break, March scopes are built to a very high standard. Now, they have their own schtick in that they tend to (most of the time) go for fairly complicated designs that are light and/or short for what they are. However, the build quality is quite exceptional.

One interesting tidbit is that the engineering team at LOW that worked on the designs that made Nightforce's reputation (NXS, mostly) at some point left and started Deon Optical (that's March). They had an idea of the riflescope line to make that was not appropriate for LOW's OEM model, so they started their own shop.

ILya
I tried to make a March work on a hunting gun. Really impressive craftsmanship. But in the end, compact tubes and high zoom ratios just don’t marry well. If they’d drop the high zoom Schtick, made normal 3-5x erectors, and had US based service, I’d sell every scope I owned and would back up the truck.

As an aside, they also happen to do side impact/collimator tests and show it too.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/07/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reupold is sooooo fhuqked up,they fixed the erector in my Spotting Scope. Hint.

Their flagship MK5 HD will arrange 2” 50yd “groups” on a World Class Rimfire. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

ILya
I tried to make a March work on a hunting gun. Really impressive craftsmanship. But in the end, compact tubes and high zoom ratios just don’t marry well. If they’d drop the high zoom Schtick, made normal 3-5x erectors, and had US based service, I’d sell every scope I owned and would back up the truck.

As an aside, they also happen to do side impact/collimator tests and show it too.

The only March I've been interested in - one for High Power/Service Rifle. I don't know anything about them but that scope's pretty specialized and might be different than what you're saying. I haven't bought the scope for the rifle yet, on the roadmap but was March or Nightforce.

Me

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Hmm are Leopold great demand counted as sales take into account the many display models setting on showroom floors of the Cabelas, Scheels, etc. using floor financing and prearranged display agreements?

why can't I just see all the 5x20 scopes regardless of maker on the same shelf?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the March.
Ive got thousands rounds on this one and its twin.
Never a issue.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m looking forward to peeling the NightFarce NX8 capped FFP Mil/Mil 1-8x with FC-DMx reticle open and seeing WTF. Hint.

I am thus far lukewarm on the Trijicon 1-8x HD. Hint.

Just sayin’………..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ILya

I was addressing the false idea Leupold was not innovating. The fact that such innovation in the new MK 4 has produced massive demand is simply one more data point.

The Tacoma anology is much more inline with Leupolds older VX-3 product lines which still enjoy huge demand but are older using well older proven tech.

As you have admitted you are not much of a scope guy so I understand why you would try and use a poor anology.

What can be improved on is the cost of top line performance. That's were the MK 4 is a stand out.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Lil Fish,

The fact you don't understand that all spotting scopes have an erector to flip the image, and Leupold installs the reticle in the erector on the spotting scopes, is always good for a smile.

Keep on being you.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Squirms,

Bless your heart for TRYING. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

ILya

I was addressing the false idea Leupold was not innovating. The fact that such innovation in the new MK 4 has produced massive demand is simply one more data point.

The Tacoma anology is much more inline with Leupolds older VX-3 product lines which still enjoy huge demand but are older using well older proven tech.

As you have admitted you are not much of a scope guy so I understand why you would try and use a poor anology.

What can be improved on is the cost of top line performance. That's were the MK 4 is a stand out.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Lil Fish,

The fact you don't understand that all spotting scopes have an erector to flip the image, and Leupold installs the reticle in the erector on the spotting scopes, is always good for a smile.

Keep on being you.

DEMAND is not a proxy for INNOVATION. That has nothing to do with scopes, it an economic/business principle. If I introduced a tire for 11 bucks a set that was basically just a Goodyear from 2 years ago - demand would go through the roof but I've not innovated a damned thing when it comes to the tire.

What's innovative for the new line? Not innovative compared to Leupold's current wares - innovative compared to the industry. What's the MK4 doing at their price point that no other scope brand can do at the same price point? Performance wise.

More performance for lower consumer cost can be simply producing a line at a loss if you have the wallet and will. "Loss Leader" is a real term/thing. That's not innovation unless they ALSO increased/maintained margin. Have they?

Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Riar Rarry is still trying to pawn off the story of the "puked" spotting scope. LOL. Take that chit to comedy castle.

Smash the hell out of it so bad that they have to replace the main tube, eyepiece assembly, and objective assembly, and send it back. Guess what, they fixed it. LOL. And he still puts on his bitching britches.

Try that with a yellow born optic. They would say "fruck yu, funny American. No warranty for yu."

Last edited by KenMi; 03/07/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least you can “afford” to “live” vicariously…you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!……….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ILya

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Lil Fish,

Keep on being you.

DEMAND is not a proxy for INNOVATION. That has nothing to do with scopes, it an economic/business principle. If I introduced a tire for 11 bucks a set that was basically just a Goodyear from 2 years ago - demand would go through the roof but I've not innovated a damned thing when it comes to the tire.

What's innovative for the new line? Not innovative compared to Leupold's current wares - innovative compared to the industry. What's the MK4 doing at their price point that no other scope brand can do at the same price point? Performance wise.

More performance for lower consumer cost can be simply producing a line at a loss if you have the wallet and will. "Loss Leader" is a real term/thing. That's not innovation unless they ALSO increased/maintained margin. Have they?

LOL.

If you don't understand why the MK 4 is innovative it's not the scope for you. Lots of scopes these days so pick something different to not buy.

Save some Leupold for the rest of us because they are behind in production for the massive demand.

I don't have any interest in the current MK 4 line up but I understand why there is such a large demand. Feature set for the price and Made in USA.

"Loss Leader" and Leupold are terms I have never seen anyone in the industry use in the same sentence so that made me smile.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
from Lowlight on Snipers Hide.

Every year they seem to get farther and farther away from what made them the company worthy of the reputation they have, which I personally feel is no longer warranted.

The shear number of them we see problems with is staggering, on military weapons systems no less. They seem to be completely out of touch with the shooter, all shooters, Civilian, Law Enforcement, and Military.

Unfortunately people still flock to their products based on the past reputation, regardless of the fact their current products don't hold up to that standard.
LL

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reupold doesn’t even try anymore. Shame. Hint………

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hill Country Rifles hasn't recommended Leupold's for well over a decade because they don't track nor hold zero. And within that time frame Matt and Greg have gone all in on building nothing but accurate LR and "tacticool" rifles. They might know a thing or two.... and build more (considerably more) than 50 rifles per year. wink

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Agree Fost, HCR is a superb outfit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Leopold "made in USA " is a farce. Assembled in the USA is not the same thing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Hill Country Rifles hasn't recommended Leupold's for well over a decade because they don't track nor hold zero. And within that time frame Matt and Greg have gone all in on building nothing but accurate LR and "tacticool" rifles. They might know a thing or two.... and build more (considerably more) than 50 rifles per year. wink

The "Appeal to Authority" fallacy gets used quite a bit here on the Campfire because so many simply don't have any real world experience in the subject matter so they glom on to anything that feeds their already established bias.

Litterally in the last few posts there are 2 such posts.

Meanwhile Leupold is dominating PRS and the new MK 4 is a huge success.

I get a smile out of how disconected from the real shooting world are many here on the Campfire. But it never stops them from saying silly things.

Always wrong but never in doubt is a fun phrase. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

ILya

Leupold used to be the biggest player in the scope market. They aren't any more because they were sitting on their laurels for too long. They are in the top three, but not close to the top in terms of volume. They lost their market lead. Then they lost a bunch of key people. The finally got off their ass in the last few years, and I like most of their newer stuff.

ILya

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

They must make something in the US - open reqs for Machinists - start at 20-24 an hour with assemblers making 17 an hour.

I don't know how that compares to the area for them. I will say, that's less than my son is making as a Machinist with 1 year's experience (all OJT) and the difference between where he lives and the Portland area is 31% more expensive to live there than here.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold used to be the biggest player in the scope market. They aren't any more because they were sitting on their laurels for too long. They are in the top three, but not close to the top in terms of volume. They lost their market lead. Then they lost a bunch of key people. The finally got off their ass in the last few years, and I like most of their newer stuff.

ILya

Feel free to cite your sources.

Rifle scopes are the topic of discussion.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just hired a 19yr old,fresh off the farm at $28. Anything after 8hrs and weekends are straight OT. 5% 401k on day one,killer Insurance and at least 90hrs a week,with 6wks vacation a year. Hint.

Reupold’s Flagship MK5 HD is farrrr and away THE worst tracking piece of fhuqking schit I have ever seen. It’s a $2000 Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin’……….

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FOsteology

The "Appeal to Authority" fallacy gets used quite a bit here on the Campfire because so many simply don't have any real world experience in the subject matter so they glom on to anything that feeds their already established bias.

Litterally in the last few posts there are 2 such posts.

Meanwhile Leupold is dominating PRS and the new MK 4 is a huge success.

I get a smile out of how disconected from the real shooting world are many here on the Campfire. But it never stops them from saying silly things.

Always wrong but never in doubt is a fun phrase. grin

Business is not shooting. They're different. PRS wise, define "dominate" - Dale Rhodes is #1 right now with his NF, Keith Baker #2 with Zero Compromise, Patrick Young #3 with Leupold, then Ted Clark with Tangent Theta and #5 is Lee Stevens, also with Tangent Theta. While the Leup MK5 HD has the most using it (335) , add up Vortex's 3 models (magnification ranges) represented and it goes past Leupold by ~100. (Vortex is at 434)

Unless the CFO showing you the books, you don't really know if it's a financial success. You know what you've been told by someone whose best interest it is to put on the good face to the industry.

They're 270mm in revenue. 6% FTE growth over the last 2 years. With a company ~500, that's 30-40 people at the most depending. Looking at their posted job openings for the last 6 months. Growth - 0% in operations, 0% engineering, 100% in QA tho.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

They must make something in the US - open reqs for Machinists - start at 20-24 an hour with assemblers making 17 an hour.

I don't know how that compares to the area for them. I will say, that's less than my son is making as a Machinist with 1 year's experience (all OJT) and the difference between where he lives and the Portland area is 31% more expensive to live there than here.

17 bucks an hour? And $24 for a machinist? That’s a skilled trade making burger flipping money. This right here really tells the entire story.
No one puts out a quality product paying cut rate wages. What a shame.

I just paid my boat mechanic $175 an hour! And I have zero complaints because he’s worth every penny when I am 60 miles out in the middle of the ocean.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 03/07/24.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

ILya

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Lil Fish,

Keep on being you.

The Tacoma has (I should say had as there is a new one)a OHC variable valve timing engine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Correct - my mistake, still it's generally the least innovative truck on the market. Toyota evolves, they don't innovate with them.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

HOPEFULLY they put a MK4 Spotting Scope erector in it! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

HOPEFULLY they put a MK4 Spotting Scope erector in it! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

I’ll give you credit there.
After multiple Leopold erector failures.
I could not spend money on any of there products.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of which,the MK4 Spotter has Puked three fhuqking times and now rides a shelf. Hint.(grin)

Extrapolations are never not interesting and to date,the Reupold Flagship MK5 HD,is the biggest piece of fhuqking schit I've ever bought or shot. Hint.

I'll start peeling Mail open tomorrow. Hopefully SWFA unveils their new crop soonly,as a "lowly" 6x MQ,crushes ALL things REUPOLD. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll start peeling Mail open tomorrow. Hopefully SWFA unveils their new crop soonly,as a "lowly" 6x MQ,crushes ALL things REUPOLD. Hint.

Yep

It’s common knowledge that riflemen who depend on their equipment to engage and center punch small targets at long range, whether in battle or competition, choose a 6 power optic with a chicken stamped on it

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

It's plum flattering,how often you think about me. Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yep

It’s common knowledge that riflemen who depend on their equipment to engage and center punch small targets at long range, whether in battle or competition, choose a 6 power optic with a chicken stamped on it

Try beating a salmon to death with your Golden Ring scope then get back to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Friend’s scope and his Once-In-A-Lifetime Rocky Mountain Big Horn Ram. Dialed and killed with a Leupold Mark 5 HD

This dude used the rifle with a Leupold Scope that he won a National Match with, The Steel Safari, to dial and kill an antelope at 840 yards.

I heard the match, which is shot over 3 days on 3- three mile walk through courses, is widely regarded as the toughest rifle match in the country, and the toughest on equipment and competitors

Since we all know Leupolds don’t hold zero, dial and track accurately, I think he’s lying

(Got the pic at an autograph signing)
😂😂😂

Last edited by rcamuglia; 03/07/24.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rick, since Charley keeps being brought into every Leupold thread. Does he use Leupold and recommend them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many times a day,do you think about me? Hint.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Rick, since Charley keeps being brought into every Leupold thread. Does he use Leupold and recommend them?

Charley is not being “brought into every Leupold thread”.

He objectively tests and evaluates all brands of rifle scopes.

The scope evaluation sheet you see was performed when my friend brought his Mark 5 to Score High for a Precision Scope Mount. The evaluation is performed as part of the service and was performed by an employee

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I see Charley at the top of that test sheet

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So it wasn’t your scope that was tested at score high?
Weird that was never brought up in all the times that pics been posted

How many times has the employee tested scopes using the fixture?

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/07/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Every scope that was mounted by the Precision Scope Mount method was evaluated

The Mark 4 M5 A2’s have been stellar.

That’s what the dude in the pic uses on 4 rifles and what won the Steel Safari once and finished Runner-up once

Also about 3 Top Ten finishes are with that scope.

Others have done as well with the Leupold at the same shoot as well as across the Nation at big shoots

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your competition track record is well documented and not questioned, but have you ever received any compensation from Leupold? Free merchandise or otherwise? Honest question. I’d love to see the new Mark 4 2.5-10 be proven reliable. Checks a lot of boxes for the $$

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/07/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your competition track record is well documented and not questioned, but have you ever received any compensation from Leupold? Free merchandise or otherwise? Honest question. I’d love to see the new Mark 4 2.5-10 be proven reliable. Checks a lot of boxes for the $$

Absolutely not. I have purchased every scope with my own, hard-earned Greenbacks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I doubt it's the scope for you.

Just sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s what the dude in the pic uses on 4 rifles and what won the Steel Safari once and finished Runner-up once

Others have done as well with the Leupold at the same shoot as well as across the Nation at big shoots

I own Leupolds in VX2, VX3, Mark 4, VX6

934 yard dialed coyote kill with a VX2
560 yard dialed coyote kill with a VX3
760 yard Ibex kill with a VX3
870 yard dialed Mule Deer kill with an original Mark 4
1620 yard dialed kill Feral Goat with a Mark 4 listed
750 yard dialed kill Feral Goat the same
840 yard antelope as noted
500 yard Cow Elk with an original Mark 4
508 yard Mule deer with an original Mark 4
506 yard Mule deer with an original Mark 4
420 yard Mule deer with a VX6
578 yard Antelope with a VariX2
800 yard coyote with a VariX2
505 yard dialed Barbary Ram
760 yard dialed prairie dog with a VX3
Multiple steel plates dialed and hit out to 1825 yards

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's aoudad. If you're going to make s hit up, at least research it..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fixed it for the Handjob….

😆

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not this s hit again.....

Before you and Burns further derail this thread, why don't you two start a new thread called Leupold Love Children or something. We've seen all the pictures, all the scopes, all the score sheets, all the animals - yours and others. It's really, really old. There is no way you're going to convince those that have had issues with a Leupold that Leupold is "The Answer". I've had my share of Leupolds - they are not.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Absolutely not. I have purchased every scope with my own, hard-earned Greenbacks
👍
Actually surprised, I would’ve thought sponsors would’ve been more forthcoming at that level of competition.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Fixed it for the Handjob….

😆

I'm glad Google helped you.

Imagine being someone so f ucking stupid, they said they killed a Der, or a cw ek. Lol "audad"....what a dumb f uck. How about this, care more about the animal you're hunting, like enough to know how it's name is spelled, instead of how far away it was when you shot it. Pretty revealing actually. You care more about yardage and scope brand than your quarry. Because you are an egomaniac.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/08/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter

👍
Actually surprised, I would’ve thought sponsors would’ve been more forthcoming at that level of competition.

Sponsors don't like him either.

GOA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Are you ever able to get closer than 400 yards to a critter ? I guess the question is, are you posessed of any hunting skills or just shooting ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Are you ever able to get closer than 400 yards to a critter ? I guess the question is, are you posessed of any hunting skills or just shooting ?

😂 of course

Just demonstrating the fact that all lines of Leupold scopes hold zero, dial and track accurately

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

😂 of course

Just demonstrating the fact that all lines of Leupold scopes hold zero, dial and track accurately
Gotcha. I've personally got Leupolds on all of my most used hunting rifles. They've served me well and they wouldn't be there if they didn't..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's an interesting situation I'm working with right now. Scope is a well known brand. It's on a BR gun with an intergral rail action and the rings have been lapped and bedded for a no stress mounting. Gun will shoot honest .125-.150 five shot groups in good conditions at 100 yards so scope issues are pretty apparent.

-Owner tells me it takes a couple shots from w/e changes to settle down. No POI issues after it settles.
-Owner brings it to me and I check it on my static checker. Checks fine.
-I return it for him to the mfg. for evaluation along with all the info.
-Mfg. technical dept. calls me and says it checks fine on their collimator. They perform impact/recoil loads and check it again. Checks fine.
-I have them return it without doing anything.
-I check it on my static checker. Checks fine.

It's on one of my guns now and hopefully can check it this week, weather permitting.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

😂 of course

I have mentioned this before, but 10-12 years ago I had 2 Leopold vari xII 6x18 scopes. They tracked and returned to zero very well for 120-150 rounds, then gradually quit doing both. I shot several coyotes at ranges of 4-600yds when the scopes were tracking correctly. Each scope went back 3 times, and new springs were put in. When the scopes came back they would work again,..... for a while. I finally talked to a guy at Leupold and explained what was happening. He simply told me that the scopes weren't designed for what I was doing. I had the scopes fixed one last time and sent them down the road. I know alot has changed since then,and Leupold is turning out .more robust products in some of their lines, but that was my experience. I switched to a swfa 3x15, and have had great success with it. The leupys were on a 243, and a 30-06.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Before you and Burns further derail this thread, why don't you two start a new thread called Leupold Love Children or something. We've seen all the pictures, all the scopes, all the score sheets, all the animals - yours and others. It's really, really old. There is no way you're going to convince those that have had issues with a Leupold that Leupold is "The Answer". I've had my share of Leupolds - they are not.

BWinters, you beat me...!

First thing I thought was how long was this very interesting thread going to last before 'the two' would start their nonsense. It lasted longer than I expected, to be honest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atse

😂 of course

I have mentioned this before, but 10-12 years ago I had 2 Leopold vari xII 6x18 scopes. They tracked and returned to zero very well for 120-150 rounds, then gradually quit doing both. I shot several coyotes at ranges of 4-600yds when the scopes were tracking correctly. Each scope went back 3 times, and new springs were put in. When the scopes came back they would work again,..... for a while. I finally talked to a guy at Leupold and explained what was happening. He simply told me that the scopes weren't designed for what I was doing. I had the scopes fixed one last time and sent them down the road. I know alot has changed since then,and Leupold is turning out .more robust products in some of their lines, but that was my experience. I switched to a swfa 3x15, and have had great success with it. The leupys were on a 243, and a 30-06.

I have 3 VX2’s with the LRVD. I started dialing with them when I put the aftermarket Stoney Point Target Knobs that engage the coin slot. The damn things worked so well that one accounted for the longest shot on a coyote for me at 934 yards. Dialed.

They worked so well I sent them back to Leupold and had an elevation knob installed on all of them. Haven’t ever had a problem with them

Originally Posted by chamois

First thing I thought was how long was this very interesting thread going to last before 'the two' would start their nonsense. It lasted longer than I expected, to be honest.

So input of actual experience which consists of brutal competition use including impacts to the system on trees, rocks, the ground and more over three days and 200 rounds, plus multiple Precision Rifle Matches in between with barricades and props over a period of 6 years that far exceeds normal hunting conditions on a scope impact testing thread is nonsense?

You’re an ignorant sockpuppet

Last edited by rcamuglia; 03/08/24.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In reality,with wares that exist,the Reupold MK5 HD couldn't even begin to handle (5) rounds of 22LR. Hint.

Though every other glass in tow could. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois

It not suprising those that struggle get offended by those that succeed.

The member who was the subject of the thread is who brought up Leupold so your whine is misdirected.

Sort of like your shooting. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reupold MK4 FFP Mil Spotter on it's third puke. Hint.

Reupold MK4 M1 16x Puke. Hint.

Random Reupolds. Hint.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_0b1agK88qI?si=z_fbmxxDX63Mm5ZO

Reupold MK4 FFP Spotter First Puke. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This thread needs to be inundated with pictures of purse dogs, backyards, and fellas with their sleeves cut off to show off their arms. Where is that creedmore fella? Did anyone ever call him?

2 Kings 2:23-24
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have 3 VX2’s with the LRVD. I started dialing with them when I put the aftermarket Stoney Point Target Knobs that engage the coin slot.

Scopes so good they needed aftermarket adjustment knobs lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 3 VX2’s with the LRVD. I started dialing with them when I put the aftermarket Stoney Point Target Knobs that engage the coin slot.

Scopes so good they needed aftermarket adjustment knobs lol

Yeah, they didn’t have any to begin with, just a coin slot under the cap. The coin slot adjustments have tactile and audible “clicks” and work great.

So it warrants putting the finger adjustable turret on; either from Leupold or Stoney Point.

You stupid dumbfuck

😂

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
have you ever received any compensation from Leupold? Free merchandise or otherwise?

Nobody's gonna sponsor the clam, after the Bud Light disaster.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That was mean

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/11/24.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

ILya

Sorry, but Leupold fell out of first place in the scope World a long time ago. They are no longer even close to number one.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.