Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just counted 9 out of 24 threads were about caliber, bullet, or rifles. What is it with the bullet fascination?

I've been chasing these four legged things around since 1996 and never thought much about either the rifle or bullet. Sure, I have a favorite gun or round, but it's more of a tool, than a fascination for me. I use a good solid copper. All reloads, chronographed, and charted to intended ranges. I prefer to spend my time at the range making sure the ballistics are solid to 600 yards and practice uphill/downhill and in the wind.

And I'm in the woods whenever I can be. I think boots on the ground is far more valuable than bullet selection.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, head stamps don't matter much. Flat base, boat tail, round ball, round nose, C& C, pure lead, or solids will work. Only a matter of personal preference. I prefer to spend more on the hunt rather than what I do it with .

I have been chasing them since 1964. Ten more years than that for deer. I have killed elk with a 30-30's to 7MM mags a lot in between and muzzle loaders with of all different flavors of rifles. Never could see much difference in how they died. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not hard to kill. Darn hard to find though. I couldn't tell anyone what bullets had for sectional density or ballistic coefficient.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/08/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Them that can do it do it, the rest talk about it. Rio7

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s the same sort of thing you’ll hear from golfers talking about a new club or fisherman talking about what lures are working. It’s just a harmless way for hunters to talk about their pastime and maybe even learn something now and then.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think boots on the ground is far more valuable than bullet selection.

Yet you did exactly the same thing that others are doing. You've obviously put a lot of time and thought into your selection. Then more time and effort into getting everything dialed in and then you shared your thoughts about what you think works best.

That is all others are asking for. Just checking on what other people used.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You realize that guys on this forum are the lunatic fringe of hunters who eat sleep & dream hunting. Closer to NASCAR than the weekend car club. The week I get to spend elk hunting is followed by 50 weeks of anticipation for next year.

Spending long days in the field and persistence with some local knowledge is way more important than any rifle & bullet minutiae. But I switched to Barnes TTSX after a less than great Nosler Ballistic tip experience on a nice bull. The information behind that choice came from here

No complaints from me on the informative posts - reading forums like this my rangefinder, binoculars, boots, pack, clothing, rifle carrying method are all much better & more efficient than the gear I started with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is the purpose of this site, to discuss and consider rifles, bullets and other hunting related topics.

If you are going to question wasteful diatribe, ask Wabigoon and dozens of other posers that continue to waste space with “what you had for breakfast” or other related BS…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Einstein was quoted as:

If you can’t explain something……simply…..

You don’t understand it well.

Trying to explain my thoughts help me understand what I’m trying to grasp.

But I agree totally with you about shooting 600 yards……unless you can actually do it….whatever bullet you buy is a moot point. I am lucky to shoot 300 personally. I need to work on this.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/09/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well ya, gotta spread the good gospel of "ft lbs of energy", "room for error", "knockdown power', and "no replacement for displacement" somewhere......lol

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hell yeah, I'm guilty of "bullet fascination"....seeing how it's the only thing that comes in contact with the elk, and does all the killing.

I spend time studying the construction of the bullet, and the impact velocities that make them work. That determines the parameters of the anticipated shot, and therefore the cartridge in the gun, I carry. I typically take 3 rifles to elk camp.....a timber rifle, an open country rifle, and the all around/back up rifle. Where the elk are hanging out, determines what I carry.

As for the caliber/cartridge of choice, for elk, it runs from a 300 win as a minimum, up to 416 Ruger in the timber (most often a 375 H&H).....with some sort of 338, in the middle, win or rum. I feel there is plenty of overlap with these choices.

Heavy/stout bullets up close and more fragile bullets down range.

I've been killing elk for over 40 years, it has always worked for me, with no drama, and 0 lost animals. Most elk drop at the shot, or at the very least, in sight.

If that's over thinking it.......I'm happily guilty.

Andy3

PS: You want to talk of over thinking something, my 54 caliber paper patched muzzleloader bullets would qualify. That's the deepest rabbit hole I've ever been down!

But....they sure do kill elk.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years back I got a pile of Accubond blems from Shooters Pro Shop. 30 cal, 165 gr. I just load and shoot them. They've accounted for quite a few elk, deer, and antelope over the years. I've used them in a 300 WSM and currently in an '06. They just do the job so I don't have to rack my brains figuring out what might get an extra inch of penetration or 1/4 MOA.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Most hunters don't live in elk country, and for most of those elk hunting is a sometime thing--or maybe even once in a lifetime. They've probably heard about how tough elk are to kill, maybe from their Uncle Fred who hunted elk once in Idaho back in 1979. So they're looking for a broader range of opinions before spending the money on a non-resident hunt, where just the travel and license is far more than they pay to hunt locally, and a guided hunt costs considerably more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've also noticed that the farther away from elk country a hunter lives the bigger the cartridge he thinks he needs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
I think boots on the ground is far more valuable than bullet selection.

Yet you did exactly the same thing that others are doing. You've obviously put a lot of time and thought into your selection. Then more time and effort into getting everything dialed in and then you shared your thoughts about what you think works best.

That is all others are asking for. Just checking on what other people used.

Bingo.. I actually enjoy, taking elk with different cartridges and bullets, so I will know what to expect the next time out. It's also a good pastime in the off season, to talk about cartridges and bullets. If you don't, you are not much of a "rifle loony".. And as most of us know here, this is the best outlet for us rifle loonies..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
M10:

To answer your question directly, I confess to using the 24H CF as a way to both build dreams and narrow choices.

I personally have never been elk hunting, but dream about it, and when the day comes will be more or less ready with the right kit to do the job thoughtfully assembled, rather than thrash around at the last-minute considering options. I am perhaps like others here that has a full, or even overfull, life dealing with what is right in front of us, most of which may have little or nothing to do with elk, or even hunting.

Not sayin' I'm a clueless tyro that hasn't done much in life, mebbe, mebbe not.

I have learned a lot here, and contribute where I can, and don't pretend to know much beyond what I post. Everyone has something to offer, just some more than others, depending on the topic. With this in mind, I really appreciate those that do post...for the most part.....chortle.

I trust that this addresses your question.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am reminded of a young fellow, just out of the military, use to using a .308 for deer. Everyone told him he needed a 300 Win mag and super duper name brand copper bullets.

We talked several evenings as he came past camp. After 4-5 days he had not seen anything. I told him every evening a nice bull crossed an avalanche chute pretty high on the mountain across from camp.

The next afternoon he started climbing, but wasn't quite high enough when sure enough out walks the bull.

He blew the shot over the bulls back and the bull did not stay round long enough for a second shot. This was the only elk he saw all season.

The problem was he was shooting at steep angle up hill and didn't know enough to aim low.

Knowing where to shoot is lot more important than what you shoot

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
So... A guy just out of military and used to firing 7.62 weapons, but unfamiliar with exterior ballistics and calculated angles of fire? Err... Hope he wasn't on 'our side'! smile smile smile

Concerning those "angles of fire in respect as departing from horizion...

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/hitting-a-high-or-low-angle-shot/83768

Best!
John

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was stationed with a guy in the service in Lakeside, Montana. He though himself quite the hunter but found he couldn't kill elk with a 7mm Rem Mag so he dumped it and got a 458 Win Mag. He couldn't shoot it either. Then down in the Swan Range one year hunting elk and helped a guy get out an elk his wife had killed. She killed it with a 243 Win!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a rancher that killed a nice bull with a factory loaded 25-35 model 94 Winchester, buck horn sights. I don’t think that’s the optimum combination nor one that I’d recommend. I also think bullet selection is important as I’ve experienced bullet failures and I’ve seen bullet failures used by other hunters.

A friend told a local dealer he was going elk hunting and needed a new rifle. The dealer recommended a 375 H&H and ordered it for him. I don’t think the dealer had much experience elk hunting. The 375 didn’t come in time and my friend had to do with the 270 - successfully I might add.

Talking about and asking for recommendations isn’t a bad thing. Asking advice from people who have experience is much better.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I am reminded of a young fellow, just out of the military, use to using a .308 for deer. Everyone told him he needed a 300 Win mag and super duper name brand copper bullets.

We talked several evenings as he came past camp. After 4-5 days he had not seen anything. I told him every evening a nice bull crossed an avalanche chute pretty high on the mountain across from camp.

The next afternoon he started climbing, but wasn't quite high enough when sure enough out walks the bull.

He blew the shot over the bulls back and the bull did not stay round long enough for a second shot. This was the only elk he saw all season.

The problem was he was shooting at steep angle up hill and didn't know enough to aim low.

Shooting proficiency and marksmanship should be at the top of everyone's list. Those that don't know this, or practice it, have no business hunting elk. I believe this to be the moral of your story..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I grew up in the hunting magazine era where you needed to move up to at least a 300WM if you wanted any chance of tagging out. The hype was there to sell magazines and new rifles. Twenty five years later, I am a lot wiser. If seems if there is an elk involved - everyone goes overboard. An improvement in bullets has helped the moderate range of cartridges. But as we all know, shooting skills trumps all else.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I grew up in the hunting magazine era where you needed to move up to at least a 300WM if you wanted any chance of tagging out. The hype was there to sell magazines and new rifles. Twenty five years later, I am a lot wiser. If seems if there is an elk involved - everyone goes overboard. An improvement in bullets has helped the moderate range of cartridges. But as we all know, shooting skills trumps all else.

Boddington was well known for the magnum craze back then, I'm sure.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Shooting proficiency and marksmanship should be at the top of everyone's list. Those that don't know this, or practice it, have no business hunting elk. I believe this to be the moral of your story..

There is a whole pile of people that don’t obsess with target pics and measuring groups that kill elk every year.

Moral of the story, being a paper tiger doesn’t make one an elk killer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rifle or cartridge selection isn’t all that important. When it comes to elk bullet selection is important. Between myself, friends, family, and guiding, I’ve spent enough time chasing wounded elk because of poor bullet selection (not to be confused with poor bullet placement).

When it comes to elk, gimme a Partition or copper bullet…

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Angus1895
But I agree totally with you about shooting 600 yards……unless you can actually do it….whatever bullet you buy is a moot point. I am lucky to shoot 300 personally. I need to work on this.

If a guy can quickly get on target, shoot from odd positions, while using a STOUT hunting bullet, 300 yds has 99% of elk hunting situations covered.

Most people are not prepared to jump shoot elk in the spruce-fir elk jungles, but yet for every elk in the open at 600 yds, there’s a bunch more in the timber.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Remchester Corelosstip bullet will git 'er done . . .

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

lol…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by SLM

There is a whole pile of people that don’t obsess with target pics and measuring groups that kill elk every year.

Moral of the story, being a paper tiger doesn’t make one an elk killer.

That’s entirely true, but there’s not enough shooting in elk hunting to become a proficient shooter, so some time on the range is necessary.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Elk season is fairly short (and shorter if you don’t live anywhere near elk country), so we need something to talk about and do the rest of the year. Some (very few) on here talk about staying in shape, or scouting for the season, but a lot more people are interested in talking about firearms. Thus, the reason so many threads are about that subject.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The best asset an elk hunter can have is to simply be mentally tough.

I see people every year fully decked out in Kuiu/Sitka gear, with ultra high end rifles/optics, that simply can’t take 0 F weather, let alone spike camp in it. They generally also can’t get to where they need to be at first and last light. They quit after a day or so and go to the bar. I have crossed paths with dozens and dozens of them over the years.

It is what it is….

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Boddington was well known for the magnum craze back then, I'm sure.

Yep, for years Craig advised the .30-06 as a minimum for elk, and also generally advised a .300 or .338 magnum. Trouble was he'd never killed an elk with anything smaller than a .30-06, so eventually was forced (as a professional journalist) to try something smaller. He chose the .270 Winchester with 150-grain Nosler Partition handloads, and killed a mature 6-point bull with it on the Whittington Center in New Mexico--with the longest shot he'd made up to that point on a bull elk with any rifle, a little over 400 yards. The went down quicker than any other he'd ever taken with a larger cartridge, with a broadside shot behind the shoulders.

Craig wrote publicaly about some of this, but I also know some of it due to having also (through some luck) hunted the Whittington for elk around 20 years ago--with Mike Ballew, then head of the Whittington, and also the guy who guided Craig. Mike showed me the very spot where Craig shot from, and where the bull was standing across a good-sized canyon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I see people every year fully decked out in Kuiu/Sitka gear, with ultra high end rifles/optics, that simply can’t take 0 F weather, let alone spike camp in it. They generally also can’t get to where they need to be at first and last light. They quit after a day or so and go to the bar. I have crossed paths with dozens and dozens of them over the years.

It is what it is….

Words of wisdom.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are looney?
Obviously we want to help, or inform or share our experiences to others asking for help.

Last edited by Dre; 03/11/24.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bullet choice is one of the few things that 100% can be controlled on a hunt. Most want the best bullet for the job, hence all the chat about bullet specifics. I know I want to research my equipment to the best of my ability, so I look for advice here and other places.

Elk tags are like gold in Az, so I lack experience compared to most, so I do research and ask more experienced minds.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
My brother has said, People want a hardware solution when it's a software problem.

It's easier to focus on rifles and bullets than it is to get in great shape and have a plan for where to hunt and ability to hike as far as needed to find elk and be able to get the meat back to camp.

I'm not immune to it either, I'm sitting here with a computer rather than working out.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It is what it is….

👆👆

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

It is what it is….

👆👆

Sadly, so true, and in my family.

I have a brother afflicted with Elk Madness and will travel anywhere for chance at the next point increase in trophy size.

But.

Won't practice. Won't get in / stay in Elk hunting shape. Blames failure on equipment, so it's on to the next rifle, the next cartridge, and the next ever more fancy big glass.
He's a big boy and should know better, so when he's showing off his latest sure-fire Elk getter I just nod my head and say something like "that there is a pretty rifle".

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

It is what it is….

100% agree! Adequate size cartridge with a decent bullet in the right place is important. But being fit and mentally tough, or lack thereof, is more important in my opinion. Elk often live in rough country, and getting in a reasonable shooting position competing with others on public land, often requires some "toughness" on the part of the hunter.

I live in the middle of elk country, they reside on my property Spring to Nov-Dec usually. My place is surrounded by public land. Hunting them on my property is far different than public land or a horseback hunt in the Rockies. Ive done both for over 40 years, but these days I will hunt public land only if I get drawn for a premium tag, otherwise, I stay around my place. For those kinds of hunts, you will increase your chances the better prepared you are. I believe being fit is directly related to being mentally tough, if walking miles in rough country doesn't beat you, it is easier to stay mentally ready.

Giving up, heading to the bar or staying in camp, doesn't fill many tags.

Regards,
Manny

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I enjoy hunting with a wide variety of rifles, cartridges and bullets. I have my favorites but realize most anything can get the job done.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Been working western hunters since 69. I like a variety of fun cartridges but overall I think I’ve seen more elk and deer brought down with the .270 than any other. My trusty old model 721 is still a pleasure in my hands and drives nails but what’s more important is what it does to lungs.

It’s been a great run and very interesting watching the “caliber evolution”. The .270 and 30.06 were all about elk and deer back when, toss in a .243 for the deer as well.
Next I think came the 7mags and .300’s. For elk alone the .338 became the big deal. On occasion a .375 would show up.

I can say I believe as an average shooters were better at the craft back in the early 70’s. As said above first and foremost hunters back then took more pride in their shooting ability than the finish on their gun. I wonder that a lot of that didn’t come from a lot of those adult hunters came up in a time before me when prowling around in their childhoods with a .22 or something like it got them sharpened up early. Hunters being hunters.
The only ballistics I recall being discussed were casual conversations while hunters loaded up and passed their shell boxes back and forth, brand used was the big point of interest.

It does not matter 1970 or this past fall a .270 thru the lungs has brought down every elk and deer I ever saw hit as such and even a few awfully big moose.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
That is the purpose of this site, to discuss and consider rifles, bullets and other hunting related topics.

If you are going to question wasteful diatribe, ask Wabigoon and dozens of other posers that continue to waste space with “what you had for breakfast” or other related BS…

IMO, the blue ribbon winner for wasted space was the, “how do you wipe your butt” thread. Second place goes to JeffO that needed counsel on how to open a bullet box.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I enjoy reading what has worked for others so over the years there's been data on what works for the majority. I've probably carried the 30-06 more than anything and did tag a cow with the 165 gr. Accubond. Tagged another cow with a .300 Win. Mag. and 200 gr. Speer Hot core. Most of my elk taken though have been with the .35 Whelen, all cows and I primarily hunt for the meat. I have taken the .270 Win. and .280 Rem. on other elk hunts that just were not successful. Can't win 'em all. Thinking seriously of trying with a 7x57mauser I picked up Already hve a good accurate load using 150 gr. Partitions. Just have to get a tag.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Osky
Been working western hunters since 69. I like a variety of fun cartridges but overall I think I’ve seen more elk and deer brought down with the .270 than any other. My trusty old model 721 is still a pleasure in my hands and drives nails but what’s more important is what it does to lungs.

It’s been a great run and very interesting watching the “caliber evolution”. The .270 and 30.06 were all about elk and deer back when, toss in a .243 for the deer as well.
Next I think came the 7mags and .300’s. For elk alone the .338 became the big deal. On occasion a .375 would show up.

I can say I believe as an average shooters were better at the craft back in the early 70’s. As said above first and foremost hunters back then took more pride in their shooting ability than the finish on their gun. I wonder that a lot of that didn’t come from a lot of those adult hunters came up in a time before me when prowling around in their childhoods with a .22 or something like it got them sharpened up early. Hunters being hunters.
The only ballistics I recall being discussed were casual conversations while hunters loaded up and passed their shell boxes back and forth, brand used was the big point of interest.

It does not matter 1970 or this past fall a .270 thru the lungs has brought down every elk and deer I ever saw hit as such and even a few awfully big moose.

Osky

I'll probably get roasted for this but I think Osky brings up a good side point.

I'm old enough to have been brought up squirrel hunting with a 22. Many (most?) here are probably in the same boat. The limit was 5 and we were issued 5 rounds. Bring back 3 rounds they better be accompanied by 2 squirrels. No beatings were doled out, just that look of disapproval which is worse. Didn't appreciate if fully at the time but hindsight has shown me how much discipline (trigger) and patience (Don't just fling bullets) and efficiency (learn to make it happen) that taught.

I wonder how many current super-equipped, long-range shooters who primarily "practice" off a bench or prone with a bipod could make a hasty shot, semi-squatted to clear brush at 60yds. I know there are many very good riflemen here and I'm certainly not digging on guys who have the discipline and equipment to reach out. It just seems that all the shows and articles these days focus on very deliberate calculated shooting at long range.

Apologies for the topic de-rail.

As to the topic of discussion. If you look to your left, you'll see that I live in North Carolina. My elk opportunities will be few so I ask questions that to someone who grew up in elk country may seem silly. The answers however, may help when that time comes.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Osky

The caliber evolution turn into the bullet revolution. Although a bullet like the Partition has been around forever, the advent of premium bullets turned cartridges like the 30-06 and 270, and a list of other “smaller” cartridges, into giant killers. There just really is no need for the big boomers in order to easily kill elk and other big game these days.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes, but the bullet revolution was more attributed to the magnum craze when C&C bullets would not stand up to the higher velocities, or states like California making the use of lead bullets illegal. I don't know about "giant Killers" but the 06 and .270 have been perfectly adequate for almost all North American big game. All the bullet revolution and magnum craze has done is let hunters believe they will kill elk with any shot presentation encountered IMO.

The almost demise of buffalo and elk is the U.S. was accomplished with lead bullets.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Unless he's a long way off !!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been running the same loads for years for my main hunting rifles. I have become confident in how they perform and that takes bit.

Generally speeaking, I start new loads with bullet brands and styles I am familiar with. If that is not available I go looking for information. Heck I do anyway. It is half the fun. I havegotten lots of goodtipson24HCF ndappreciate it.

Getting into a new cartridge or load, it is tough to get enough experience with it. Where I live it is tough to get more than two or three tags a year. I am a little envious of folks that can hunt hogs regularly. Lots ofchances to try stuff.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, but the bullet revolution was more attributed to the magnum craze when C&C bullets would not stand up to the higher velocities, or states like California making the use of lead bullets illegal. I don't know about "giant Killers" but the 06 and .270 have been perfectly adequate for almost all North American big game. All the bullet revolution and magnum craze has done is let hunters believe they will kill elk with any shot presentation encountered IMO.

The almost demise of buffalo and elk is the U.S. was accomplished with lead bullets.

You make a point about mags influencing bullet design. And good bullets allowed a lot of cartridges to become giant killers—not just the 06. And yes, stout bullets allow quartering shots and other difficult angles with FAR more confidence.

And it often took a lot of those old time lead bullets to kill a bison…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Osky

The caliber evolution turn into the bullet revolution. Although a bullet like the Partition has been around forever, the advent of premium bullets turned cartridges like the 30-06 and 270, and a list of other “smaller” cartridges, into giant killers. There just really is no need for the big boomers in order to easily kill elk and other big game these days.

In my early years guiding to be honest I can’t remember the bullet types. I believe most were partitions.
I do recall that .270 were either 130, or 140 gr. 06’s we’re in the 150 gr neighborhood.
300 yards was a big shot and we tried to get in better than that with patience and quiet stalking.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And it often took a lot of those old time lead bullets to kill a bison…..

Just for conversation….I have seen 4 musk ox shot and one bison. All from either a .300 Win Mag or a .300 WSM with standard, but modern bullets. The bison took a spine shot so one can’t deduce much from that, but all the musk ox took multiple solid, and I mean SOLID hits in the chest from bow range. They all jumped forward a few feet then went back to grazing. Another solid hit and they did the same thing, just like in the old west movies with bison and those old time lead bullets. After 3-4 rounds and several minutes the musk ox finally fell over as the rest of the herd went back to grazing.

Slow and heavy lead isn’t my thing but I figured I’d make that point.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Osky,
A few years after I got out of the Navy I started guiding for a family friend. I was using Sierra 150gr in my 270 because I felt that’s what I could afford and they were plentiful in my small town.

By the second year of guiding I’d seen 4-5 elk killed with NPt’s and helped dress out a few more killed with NPt’s. I decided I needed to “afford” Partitions.

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, and Partitions do it CONSISTENTLY. Unlike too many other bullets that work well some of the time, other times not so much.

Having said that, I’m slowly transitioning over to copper bullets because I think lead core bullet’s days are numbered.

T Inman,
I have a friend who killed a musk ox in the 90’s with a 35 Whelen and 250gr NPt’s. Both shots in the armpit at 50-60 yds. On the second shot the bull turned towards them, the native guide ran, and the white guide yelled “brain him!”. About that time the bull fell nose first and keeled over sideways.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been on this magic caliber/bullet kick since the 80'S.

Bullet manufacturer's have certainly upped their game over the last 40 years.

We are all better off, as we do not have to suffer the 80's Ballistic tips anymore. I had a bad experience with them on a deer. Elk would have been a certain disaster.

Same with the Barnes X or XLC bullets anymore. Miserable to get them to shoot and the performance was questionable from my experience.

Bullet manufacture/performance is constantly evolving. It is great to have forums to discuss real world performance. Especially for people that do have real world experience on elk.

There are many bullets that will kill a deer just fine. Elk are bigger critters and can quickly show bullets that are lacking. Elk broadside through the ribs is one thing, change that shot presentation and bullets get sorted pretty quick. IMO.

I know what I like. After having seen/taken elk with 243 to 375. I have opinions on what what works. And I what I like to use.

I share my thoughts with people here based on my experience. I also learn from other people on here. Need to sort through a lot of posts to glean useful information.
The information is here, just have to see the trees for the forest.

I lean towards monometals for any caliber I use on elk, YMMV.
A heavier for caliber C&C, or bonded certainly works, as does a target bullet at long range.

Figure out how you hunt, what shot you capable of making. and go from there.

Shot placement ends a lot of arguments IMO.

Last edited by CRS; 03/12/24.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!

I got a bunch of silver tips loaded for my 303 savage!

Better head North to Alaska!

A go North….

The rush is on.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Just counted 9 out of 24 threads were about caliber, bullet, or rifles. What is it with the bullet fascination?

I've been chasing these four legged things around since 1996 and never thought much about either the rifle or bullet. Sure, I have a favorite gun or round, but it's more of a tool, than a fascination for me. I use a good solid copper. All reloads, chronographed, and charted to intended ranges. I prefer to spend my time at the range making sure the ballistics are solid to 600 yards and practice uphill/downhill and in the wind.

And I'm in the woods whenever I can be. I think boots on the ground is far more valuable than bullet selection.

Well, you're right.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boots on the ground are definitely an advantage, but when you live 4-7 hours away from your hunting grounds it can be difficult to do the amount of scouting necessary to be successful on a regular basis. If you live in a part of the country where certain animals may not be available without substantial travel it can be even more difficult to not only scout, but even to recognize what country may or may not be holding elk/deer/bears/wolves, etc....

The other part of this is the guns/bullets equation. I have many partial boxes of bullets I have bought to try in many different rifles to make the best decision on which one to hunt with. However, those are from years ago. With the price of components these days it is nice to have a resource like this and other hunting forums to ask what others are using and what their results have been. Substantial money can be saved and a lot learned about how to use certain components and how to hunt certain game . The extra information you can pick up by just asking the right questions can be more than a little helpful- especially for first timers who may be coming out west as an example to try for elk or some other critter that they may only be able to do once or twice in a lifetime.

Besides all that, we are all gun and hunting loonies and this is our pasttime, just like gearheads spend time on automotive sites, and JeffO spends time on democratic gay sites...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Osky,
A few years after I got out of the Navy I started guiding for a family friend. I was using Sierra 150gr in my 270 because I felt that’s what I could afford and they were plentiful in my small town.

By the second year of guiding I’d seen 4-5 elk killed with NPt’s and helped dress out a few more killed with NPt’s. I decided I needed to “afford” Partitions.

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, and Partitions do it CONSISTENTLY. Unlike too many other bullets that work well some of the time, other times not so much.

Having said that, I’m slowly transitioning over to copper bullets because I think lead core bullet’s days are numbered.

T Inman,
I have a friend who killed a musk ox in the 90’s with a 35 Whelen and 250gr NPt’s. Both shots in the armpit at 50-60 yds. On the second shot the bull turned towards them, the native guide ran, and the white guide yelled “brain him!”. About that time the bull fell nose first and keeled over sideways.

Alpine that’s interesting. Probably my brain getting fuzzy but I do not recall seeing .270 rounds back then in 150gr. That’s just me.
I do know I hear a lot of people make excuses for bad shots theses days and many blame the bullet. In the “ old days” we simply said bad hit or I missed. I am of the opinion there is no consideration but point of impact on the big game species we are generally speaking of here when shooting within say 300 yards. No wind, no drop, maybe a touch for elevation change. Center mass lungs and a happy night in camp.

I’ve honestly never seen any bullet not get thru the lungs and get the job done. I have never been a shoulder shooter always figured why mess with that when the lungs are right there and an even bigger target? I’ve seen big ungulates go a long way with broken legs but seldom more tha 100 yards without lungs.

Osky

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
To me, bullets are like tires on my truck.

For the vast majority of my driving, simple street tires are sufficient (and offer better fuel economy). However, when roads get a bit dicey, I prefer good AT type tires, and since I don't know what road conditions I will encounter, I run AT's year round.

I also only use Barnes for my big game hunts. I do not know if I can get a perfect, standing, broadside shot at 150yds, so I use Barnes.

I was a Boy Scout, back in the day, and "Be Prepared" has stuck with me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i grew up shooting guns all the time ,my uncles and some older friends all worked at Federal Cartridge so when i was a kid ammo was given to me and i shot a lot ammo . i have been a handloader for at least 45 years of many different cartridges tried a lot of bullets , powder ,brass .have my own 25 yd, 50 yd ,100 yd. rifle range with berms and a heated shooting house so i reload all the time.yes i have my favorite cartridges -favorite rifles as do many handloaders and shooters do , reloading , shooting , hunting ,buying guns and collecting guns is just fun .Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 03/14/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve got elk loads worked up for my 7mm and .300 Weatherby’s for, oh, about 15 years now. I shoot scoped rifles enough to stay proficient. Whoever said it was a software issue is right. Where I hunt, you usually have mere seconds to spot, decide, and shoot. Not the long drawn out whispering with the guide like on TV. Good hunting, yall!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We talk about it because it’s fun, and gives us something to do. At the end of the day, a .270 through any of the 300’s with good bullets is all anyone needs for elk, and I’d be willing to bet what 95% of elk die from every year. Yes, shot placement is key. BUT, like has been said previously, most people don’t live in elk country, if they get a shot, they may have a split second to decide, and elk don’t often stand perfectly broadside giving you the perfect shot. So do you really want a 6.5CM with an ELD-X when your only shot on the only elk you’ve seen after 5-6 days of heavy hunting is a 250 yard quartering shot that has to go through shoulder to get to lungs? I don’t. I’ll take anywhere from a 150gr partition from a .270 to a 200gr Ascent from a 300WM for that shot. And anything in between.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Living east of the Mississippi River in farm country doesn’t afford many of us with much time to hunt elk. Usually one trip a year for 5-7 days is it. That is IF we draw a tag! Living vicariously through the posts on forums like this keeps the juices flowing and interest up. Many of us are older now as well, so doing a self outfitted hunt isn’t in the cards. Hiring an outfitter isn’t cheap either so making the most of what opportunity we might get pretty much dictates the choices of calibers. As others have said, a 270 with premium bullets is where it starts and then goes up from there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well said John55! Born and raised in the deep South, I dreamed of hunting in the Rockies, Alaska, and Africa. I was very fortunate, though with much sacrifice, move to Wyoming in the mid-‘80’s. I will regrettably, lack of money and now age, never see Alaskan or Africa.

All that said, I have much respect for those that can make sacrifices to hunt out west or Africa. I also feel sadness for those that wish to, but can only live vicariously through this and other forums.

As John55 indicated, and I’ll take some liberties with his statement, for those only having the opportunity to do it once…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there. There really isn’t an upper end on cartridges, merely an upper-end determined by the hunter. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there.

More stupid shít from a stupid shìt

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Well said John55! Born and raised in the deep South, I dreamed of hunting in the Rockies, Alaska, and Africa. I was very fortunate, though with much sacrifice, move to Wyoming in the mid-‘80’s. I will regrettably, lack of money and now age, never see Alaskan or Africa.

All that said, I have much respect for those that can make sacrifices to hunt out west or Africa. I also feel sadness for those that wish to, but can only live vicariously through this and other forums.

As John55 indicated, and I’ll take some liberties with his statement, for those only having the opportunity to do it once…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there. There really isn’t an upper end on cartridges, merely an upper-end determined by the hunter. memtb

Africa can be done very easily as people age. Yes, the money will always be an issue for 95% of us, but I will say this, I’d suggest begging, borrowing, stealing, hell, whatever it takes. I’ve always dreamt of a moose/caribou hunt in Alaska, but the prices have become ridiculous. You can still do a plains game hunt in South Africa for $5-$10k and kill a bunch of animals. It’s an experience that just can’t be explained.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was the 4th generation in my family to have been born in Denver, but other than my Uncle, I think that I was the first hunter. My Uncle had a rifle and maybe went out in the woods a few times "hunting" for deer, but I don't think he ever killed one.

I started hunting when I was in college in the mid '60s and went with one of my roommates in NW Colorado. The first year my roommate loaned me a Winchester .32 Special and I shot my first deer. The next year I borrowed my Uncle's .30-40 Krag and I killed my frist elk, a 5x5 bull, and I was hooked.

My summer jobs through college were with the Forest Service in Steamboat Spgs, CO, and the year after I got my first elk I decided that I needed my own centerfire hunting rifle. Two of the guys that I worked with had grown up in the Steamboat area and had hunted most of their life, so I asked them what rifle I should get. They both said to get a bolt action .270 Win or .30-06. They said that only the dudes from Denver shot .300 Winchesters when they came to the mountains once a year to hunt elk.

So I bought a Herter's .30-06 barrelled action and semi inleted stock, put them together that summer, and I then had my elk and everything else rifle for the next 10 years. That rifle easily put 8 elk in my freezer, including a 375" 6x6 bull who's shoulder mount is still the centerpiece of one wall in my house.

A couple of years after I moved from Colorado to Montana, my new hunting partner here gave me a .30 Gibbs case. I thought that case looked so cool that I carried it around in my pocket for several months, and finally had a gunsmith in Kalispell re-chamber my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs. Ballistice of that cartridge approached the ballistics of the .300 Win, so I then hunted with a rifle similar to the rifles that the dudes from Denver used. For the next 20 some years that rifle kept my freezers full of elk, moose, and other wild game meat. Then a case forming apparent overload pretty much ended the life of that rifle.

Ever since the '60s I've admired and wanted to have a Weatherby rifle. I shaped and finished the stock of my Herter's .30-06 and four other rifles to look similar to the Weatherby Mark V design. Then in 2009 I had a 7 mm Rem mag, but I wanted another .30 caliber elk rifle, so I finally bought a Weatherby rifle, a Vanguard chambered in .300 Wby which quickly became my favorite rifle.

I've never been on a guided elk hunt, but I have gone on a dozen international hunts that were guided, so I know the thinking that people that don't live in elk country have about what rifle or cartridge they should bring on their maybe once in a lifetime elk hunt. I've taken my .300 Wby on half of my international hunts.

Originally Posted by super T
I've also noticed that the farther away from elk country a hunter lives the bigger the cartridge he thinks he needs.
The biggest rifle/cartridge that I have is a .375 RUM that I built in 2005 for an African cape buffalo hunt. I've taken it on two African hunts and an Alaskan brown bear hunt, but for at least 15 years it has been a safe queen. My second most powerful rifle is my .300 Wby that I've used to kill two bull elk within 1/4 mile of my house.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am beginning to think this thread is very silly.

This forum is about elk hunting, usually a rifle.

Often during rifle season I see elk too far away to shoot at.

Why wouldn’t one wonder how to make too far away ……not?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Africa can be done very easily as people age. Yes, the money will always be an issue for 95% of us, but I will say this, I’d suggest begging, borrowing, stealing, hell, whatever it takes. I’ve always dreamt of a moose/caribou hunt in Alaska, but the prices have become ridiculous.

Barriers are only an issue if a person makes them one.
Age will get the best of people, but where there’s a will, there’s a way…

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The art and skill of stealth is slowly disappearing in the face of technology….and the internet.

The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well boy howdy!

We should all be sneaky sons a beaches……and track em down.

Agreed…..

But we can’t really suggest or compare effort….or can we?

I know I learned about the sneaky Pete’s foot covers last year.

I like them.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/16/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s a tremendous difference of someone who lives in elk country, has daily opportunities to shoot elk vs the hunter who has a weekend or maybe more and will shoot at an elk as it is running away. I know a rancher that when he was a teenager his dad owned many square miles of prime elk country and no one else was allowed on his property. He shot a nice bull with his 25-35.

Even gun writers don’t agree on the perfect gun and the perfect bullet. Some same the elk are tougher than moose.

Guides will not always agree. Some like the 30-06 but prefer a 300 Magnum for their use. Some people think the 300 magnums kick too much.

I read where one noted gun writer thinks the 270 is bare minimum and it wouldn’t be his choice. Another writer says the 25-06 is adequate. I recall a writer or two that said a belted magnum is required.

What I don’t understand is why some are so darned sure their choice is the best choice in all circumstances.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/18/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve a fair amount of experience hunting elk, harvested my first in 1965 while going to college in Colorado, graduated and moved to Wyoming Jan 1967, hunted elk serious until 1977 when I moved to Alaska, that ended my elk hunting for about 20 years except got one or two trips outside to hunt them with buddies in Wyoming. I consider myself a pretty dedicated hunter for whatever zI pursue, stay in shape and hunt hard. The really good hunters I know share several common traits, more important than what they shoot or how much money they make. First and for most they can shoot, and shoot at good at game. Second they are not afraid, in fact relish working hard, dawn to dark, the tougher the hunt the more they value its worth. They know the country and scout preseason religiously. They know the game and their habits. They are extremely patient, spend hours behind the glass. Do not move on game unless the conditions favor a. successful stalk. And they hunt like wolves, quiiet , sneaky, and never quit. They know what is needed on gear and guns , do not waste time and money in superevlous [bleep]. Do not mind spending a night on the mountain if that will lend itself to being there when needed. They respect and admire their quarry and tray it with respect.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There’s very very very few folks that get to hunt elk every year, otc. Some of us get to every year, even fewer get the luxery of hunting elk otc in a jungle like western wa, nw Oregon or Idaho panhandle every year.

It’s not like drawing an Arizona/New Mexico/colorado/Utah tag. Come try it lady’s.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Judman
There’s very very very few folks that get to hunt elk every year, otc. Some of us get to every year, even fewer get the luxery of hunting elk otc in a jungle like western wa, nw Oregon or Idaho panhandle every year.

It’s not like drawing an Arizona/New Mexico/colorado/Utah tag. Come try it lady’s.👊🏻

That’s right! While I like a new rifle as well as the next looney, with the exception of 2020 and 2023 due to health issues, I hunt Washington otc, and either MT or CO on a leftover or otc bull tag. I like to discuss rifles and loads, but when it comes down to the nut cutting’, I grab one of two proven elk rifles and head out. Kinda the same for deer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With all the electronics gadgets and super bullets , there seems to be less hunting and more killing.Progress I guess

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Pffff. Whatever. My family had the keys to much of the timber company land outside Pe Ell after they shut it down. Over 50+ years they killed elk every year in clear cuts, and rarely had to hike. They drug the elk out using a reduction unit on a chain saw and 600ft of rope. When I tell those old timers who are in their late 70’s and 80’s now how we hunt OTC in the Wilderness of CO their response is “Fugg that.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
With all the electronics gadgets and super bullets , there seems to be less hunting and more killing.Progress I guess

Amen.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I met two outfitters near salmon Idaho.

They both claim the wolves have moved them into the agricultural areas.

Longer shots required in the sage transition area to timber outta the private hay ground.

If yer lucky enough to draw yer tags outta wolves in the area…..you might have a different opinion.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There are also very few people with as low of an IQ as you, as fat as you, or as obnoxious as you… and you’re a liberal voting D’bag to boot. Congratulations!?!??
Have you figured how to use a turret on a scope yet, F’n dumbass?
How much hunting have you been able to do lately without your golf-cart, fat [bleep]?
I honestly miss your trophy pics from your “hunts”… the f’n near heart attack, beet red face, gasping for air pictures really gave me a chuckle.
You are a typical stupid liberal F’n D’bag!!! GFY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Some people are enthusiast, they like rifles, scopes, handloading, shooting, etc..(put me in that category). Others are more interested in hunting and see rifles as simply tools, to each is own. I have a good friend who has hunted with the same Rem 700 BDL in 270 that he received as a gift in 1980. He spends a small fortune on hunting and taxidermy but would agonize if he had to spend a penny on a rifle, he has no interest at all.

Kind of like women and cars, they get in, drive it like they stole it and park it and then there are men who obsess about maintenance and like to work on and tinker with cars.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……[/quote]

Now you're talking Alpine! Of course...I will not shy away from a "hayfield" cow elk hunt/shoot, whatever. ha Love that elk meat!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

The art and skill of stealth is slowly disappearing in the face of technology….and the internet.

The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……

And it will never be understood by those who wish to start blasting soon as they can see 'em.

If you don't sleep well after tracking for a day its probably cause you croaked of a heart attack when the raven took off from right above your head in that bedding area...

Last edited by llamalover2; 03/21/24.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Most of the stuff on elk rifles is silly.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Especially when you and memtb chime in

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Especially when you and memtb chime in

It's going to be so exciting when you kill your first elk.

Be sure and make a thread.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/21/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Handi has never shot anything but the bull and lots of it. He a no account troll.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lol two clueless old fùcks lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handi has never shot anything but the bull and lots of it. He a no account troll.

But think how exciting it will be when she actually kills her first elk.

That thread will be epic.

It's never not funny when a girl forgets she has a history here on the Campfire. HandyJobsForHobos has never killed an elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

What you haven't realized is how much fun it is for us to discuss buying a new rifle for a special hunt. Something that we can't justify around here. Yes most of us know we can take our deer rifle Elk hunting but it's fun to have a reason to buy a .300 Winchester.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

But think how exciting it will be when she actually kills her first elk.

That thread will be epic.

It's never not funny when a girl forgets she has a history here on the Campfire. HandyJobsForHobos has never killed an elk.

I know this going to shock everyone but Johnny "got-no-family" Burns is wrong again......weird.

Next he'll say he isn't 300lbs and doesn't drink like a fish lol lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

What you haven't realized is how much fun it is for us to discuss buying a new rifle for a special hunt. Something that we can't justify around here. Yes most of us know we can take our deer rifle Elk hunting but it's fun to have a reason to buy a .300 Winchester.

Well that's kind of a stupid thing to do. Go buy a gun you're not familiar with, in a cartridge you don't need, with enough recoil that you won't practice with it.

Of course most here probably just hangout in camp an drink.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I live in elk country and have for years. Over the years, our elk have expanded their range from just the national forest area to the ranches and open prairie. We have gone from woods type hunting to plains type hunting. Now, the 06 is still fairly popular but the .300 and 7mm Mag. have a big following. Simply because they are easy to hit with and kill well at longer ranges. If you can shoot. Not that smaller calibers won't but the bigger calibers seem to have an advantage.
Several years ago, we were hunting in a very open area. One of the guys packed a very nice custion .25-06. That morning we found a large herd of elk traveling to cover.I was just along to help out as I had taken an elk already. My pal shot a nice 5 pt. bull right in the lungs. I saw the bullet hit. But the animal continued going across a trail, a jeep from Cheyenne came along and a guy jumped out with a ,375 and shot the bull before he could fall. Next fall my pal had a bigger rifle.
In years past the .300 Savage was very popular when the elk were in the timber. Until the 60s deer and antelope were the main game, then the area was open for 25 limited permits. The hunters merely took the rifles they had and shot elk at close ranges. I haven't seem a .300 Savage in the woods for years.
The local hunters are not the hicks eastern people seem to portray them. There are many rifle looneys in this country as any. Something that should be kept in mind.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Talking about elk rifles and bullets is nothing more than a way for a person who has little experience with Elk hunting to remain excited about going... Years ago when I first went elk hunting, I was so excited that I did a lot of thinking - prepping to hunt... all of the thinking and prepping for the hunt was exciting... I honestly believe this is all the talk about guns and bullet is about for most people.

I remember I had a Sako 338 WM that I took and my 30-06 as a back up... either would have been great guns but that 338 WM shot incredible groups with the max load of RL-19 and Nosler Accubonds 225 gr... I just had to take it... I still regret selling that gun but sometimes we just make mistakes

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I live in elk country and have for years. Over the years, our elk have expanded their range from just the national forest area to the ranches and open prairie. We have gone from woods type hunting to plains type hunting. Now, the 06 is still fairly popular but the .300 and 7mm Mag. have a big following. Simply because they are easy to hit with and kill well at longer ranges. If you can shoot. Not that smaller calibers won't but the bigger calibers seem to have an advantage.
Several years ago, we were hunting in a very open area. One of the guys packed a very nice custion .25-06. That morning we found a large herd of elk traveling to cover.I was just along to help out as I had taken an elk already. My pal shot a nice 5 pt. bull right in the lungs. I saw the bullet hit. But the animal continued going across a trail, a jeep from Cheyenne came along and a guy jumped out with a ,375 and shot the bull before he could fall. Next fall my pal had a bigger rifle.
In years past the .300 Savage was very popular when the elk were in the timber. Until the 60s deer and antelope were the main game, then the area was open for 25 limited permits. The hunters merely took the rifles they had and shot elk at close ranges. I haven't seem a .300 Savage in the woods for years.
The local hunters are not the hicks eastern people seem to portray them. There are many rifle looneys in this country as any. Something that should be kept in mind.

Fuddlore galore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Well that's kind of a stupid thing to do. Go buy a gun you're not familiar with, in a cartridge you don't need, with enough recoil that you won't practice with it.

I'm sure you'd know about that

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We don't think the locals are hicks. It's Westerners who are always saying we in the East overgun ourselves

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm sure you'd know about that

Uh oh....somebody's feelers got hurt....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackie_Handjobs thinking about Elk rifles and bullets having never killed an Elk
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohndrunkardBurns
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Johnny red-face is all fired up now lol

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JessG
There are also very few people with as low of an IQ as you, as fat as you, or as obnoxious as you… and you’re a liberal voting D’bag to boot. Congratulations!?!??
How much hunting have you been able to do lately without your golf-cart, fat [bleep]?
I honestly miss your trophy pics from your “hunts”… the f’n near heart attack, beet red face, gasping for air pictures really gave me a chuckle.

Oh my Jessie’s girl, straight stalker shiit you got going on. Only thing worse on these boards than a sock puppet is a chickenshiit that talks [bleep] without posting pics of themselves. Rest assured the only “beet” red face around is your moms after I pile her up.😘

Since you asked so eloquently, here’s a pic of me last week. Just to keep you horned up and your lip quivering

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to post a picture in a forum online site

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jetjockey

Pffff. Whatever. My family had the keys to much of the timber company land outside Pe Ell after they shut it down. Over 50+ years they killed elk every year in clear cuts, and rarely had to hike. They drug the elk out using a reduction unit on a chain saw and 600ft of rope. When I tell those old timers who are in their late 70’s and 80’s now how we hunt OTC in the Wilderness of CO their response is “Fugg that.”

They’re way ahead of the curve, though 10% oh hunters kill most the bulls. Know lotsa folks from pe ell, I’m sure I know em. Tried a chainsaw whinch about 30 years ago up toutle, didn’t get a full spool reeled in before I boned it out and threw it on a packboard. Tried Tommy moore blocks with haywire, same pain in the ass. Unless you can get a quad/sxs close I’ve found it easier and less fuucking around to quarter/bone em out personally. Looks like Wyoming is the place to hunt elk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Judman, you are probably correct about WY being “the spot”. Concerning Colorado numbers, there are a lot of non-resident hunters that poke around on public land and are unsuccessful. There’s an awful lot of hunters who never see elk except in the back of someone’s pickup in town. My long term Colorado average is 68% on unguided hunts. Some of my buddies who have a gold horseshoe do a bit better. Last 7 hunts = 4 bulls, 2 cows. Never been on a guided trip. Good luck on the tag draws!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wammer, never hunted applied in Utah or Colorado. I know Colorado has more elk than any western state, just too busy with other states. My new catnip is Mexico coues, flat out amazing. I’d go 5 times a year if I could afford it!😆

Good luck to you as well, we need it with all the flatbillers applying nowadays.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohndrunkardBurns
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Johnny red-face is all fired up now lol

Johnny red-face Burns got nothing to say lol lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JessG

Oh my Jessie’s girl, straight stalker shiit you got going on. Only thing worse on these boards than a sock puppet is a chickenshiit that talks [bleep] without posting pics of themselves. Rest assured the only “beet” red face around is your moms after I pile her up.😘

Since you asked so eloquently, here’s a pic of me last week. Just to keep you horned up and your lip quivering

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to post a picture in a forum online site

Nice sword!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It’s the same sort of thing you’ll hear from golfers talking about a new club or fisherman talking about what lures are working. It’s just a harmless way for hunters to talk about their pastime and maybe even learn something now and then.

And be involved in it and thinking/discussing stuff about it when you cant actually be out hunting.

To those who can hunt 100 days a year, God bless you, you are living the dream.

Plus, some guys like to tinker as much as hunt, really. As most know, collecting, relaoding, load developing, etc is every bit as hobby as hunting. And shooting.

Its all good.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’am fortunate enough to harvest probably over 40 elk in the life time, 85 years. Taken them with 25/06, 270, 30/06, 280, 280AI, 35 wheylen. 338/06, 7mm mag, 300 Dakota, 405 win, 7x57, and probably others I’ve forgotten. Found with all if the shot is placed in the boiler room, heart lungs all of them, at reasonable ranges did the job. If not you err in for a long hard chase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting elk in different locations with different terrain makes a big difference to me. Hunting where there’s no large bears vs coming across a large brown bear being likely makes a difference.
On the prairie for instance I’d be looking for a cartridge suitable for a longer range. I wouldn’t be trying to put a bullet through the front shoulders. Placing a bullet in the heart lung area would be fine.
Hunting in thick forest, steep mountains, open prairie, cow vs trophy etc. - different rifles and different cartridges and different bullets - at least for me.
Anything from say a 270 win, various 7mm’s, various 30’s from a 308 to a 300 Mag or maybe a 338 Win Mag. I think I could justify a 375 H&H in certain circumstances.

If a guy hunts the same terrain, 100% of the time, a definite “this is the best or nothing bigger than a xxx is necessary” frame of mind can set in.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.