Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 64 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 63 64
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dons99
This is all you need to know about faith and proof of the existence of God.

Romans 1
16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, just as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened."

So the faith we must have is not faith that God exists, He said thats a given by proof of creation and if you still don't believe then you are willfully ignorant and suppressing the truth. So the faith we must have is to believe and accept the birth, life, death, burial, and resurrection of His son Jesus the Christ.
Well said

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by johnn
You boys really need to give a break and go yank your puds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Does she really exist though, in real life?

Don't know.

Can't see her fingers so that's a clue. Last time I checked the basement thread about 1/3 of the new entries were AI generated. People like to make fictions, be they pictures or stories, especially if they sever a purpose such as getting people to act a certain way, making money, or filling an offering plate.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antlers
Faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe is true.

Many signs of historical criteria provide evidence of the historicity and reliability of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Signs of historical criteria like multiple attestation and eyewitness testimony, the criterion of embarrassment, textual overlap with independent ancient Jewish historians, and the presence of early oral creeds all testify that Jesus was a real Jewish person who lived in Judea, had followers, and was crucified (which is the scholarly consensus), as well as the finding of an empty tomb by women, followed by post-crucifixion appearances. It’s enough to more than get the attention of honest skeptical scholars.
Biblical faith is considered to be a trust and confidence in God based on evidence but without total proof. Jesus Himself said to “believe on the evidence.” But among all definitions of faith, the common theme is trust.
I think Antlers is right on that point.

Depends on how you define 'evidence.' If you define evidence as something written in old scrolls, then there is plenty of evidence for all sorts of wonders.
I think it is a form of evidence, but not sure if it would be "admissible evidence" as you can't cross-examine the author.

Especially since the Gospel authors were anonymous and written at least decades after the alleged events.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The probability of the universe existing, the probability of it existing and being so vast, whether by the hand of God or not by the hand of God, is so low that it is close to zero. It is just unbelievable that existence exists - no matter how it came about. Yet we know it does exist. The probability argument and the vastness argument therefore does not swing things in favor of "no god", in fact it swings things in favor of "god". If on the balance of probabilities that god exists, then which god? No one has come up with a better explanation of what constitutes god that what we have in the West.

God created the Universe.

Who Create God?

The believers argument here always ends with the logical fallacy of Special Pleading.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by DBT
Given our limited understanding of the universe, we don't know what the probability of the existence of the universe is.

It may appear improbable to us, yet the universe exists and unlike God - whatever that's supposed to be - we have abundent evidence for its existence.

Unlike 'God,' a word without references or evidence, we need no faith to accept the reality of the universe.

You have exactly the same evidence of God as you have of the universe. You have not personally seen or experienced the universe. You don't know of anything outside your own experience except from what others tell you. You simply choose what you are willing to believe. The only difference is that the belief of the universe beyond your personal experience has not been believed nearly as long, or by as many people as the existence of God.

Depends on how you define experience.

I've seen the Hubble deep field images. That is a personal experience.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnn
You boys really need to give a break and go yank your puds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Does she really exist though, in real life?
NO

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like moths to a flame, like flies to sticky strips, like hungry rodents - - - - the atheists, God deniers, Christian-baiters, devil reps and angry others seem to scramble onto threads like this. And, for what reason?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Romans 1
16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, just as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened."

So the faith we must have is not faith that God exists, He said thats a given by proof of creation and if you still don't believe then you are willfully ignorant and suppressing the truth. So the faith we must have is to believe and accept the birth, life, death, burial, and resurrection of His son Jesus the Christ.

Don,

Read that passage very carefully, then contemplate what you choice of those verses says about YOU.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Like moths to a flame, like flies to sticky strips, like hungry rodents - - - - the atheists, God deniers, Christian-baiters, devil reps and angry others seem to scramble onto threads like this. And, for what reason?

You complain like a woman.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

The same reason that NFL haters can't NOT click on a thread discussing the playoffs, the draft, etc.

Human nature

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
Given our limited understanding of the universe, we don't know what the probability of the existence of the universe is.

It may appear improbable to us, yet the universe exists and unlike God - whatever that's supposed to be - we have abundent evidence for its existence.

Unlike 'God,' a word without references or evidence, we need no faith to accept the reality of the universe.

You have exactly the same evidence of God as you have of the universe. You have not personally seen or experienced the universe. You don't know of anything outside your own experience except from what others tell you. You simply choose what you are willing to believe. The only difference is that the belief of the universe beyond your personal experience has not been believed nearly as long, or by as many people as the existence of God.

Depends on how you define experience.

I've seen the Hubble deep field images. That is a personal experience.
Have you been to the telescope and directly seen the images, or have you just seen the images that were posted somewhere? Point is that faith is necessary to believe anything outside one's direct personal experience. It's just a matter of who you believe and what you have faith in.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The probability of the universe existing, the probability of it existing and being so vast, whether by the hand of God or not by the hand of God, is so low that it is close to zero. It is just unbelievable that existence exists - no matter how it came about. Yet we know it does exist. The probability argument and the vastness argument therefore does not swing things in favor of "no god", in fact it swings things in favor of "god". If on the balance of probabilities that god exists, then which god? No one has come up with a better explanation of what constitutes god that what we have in the West.

Who Create God?

The believers argument here always ends with the logical fallacy of Special Pleading.

No need to go through the who created who argument if you view God as the creative force.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Romans 1

Don,

Read that passage very carefully, then contemplate what you choice of those verses says about YOU.
Anyone that thinks Romans is God's word just needs to go to chapter 13 and read the first few verses where he he asserts the civil government is to obeyed as an agent of God for the good.

In a court of law a witness caught in a lie is no more accepted as a witness for anything.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Who Create God?

No need to go through the who created who argument if you view God as the creative force.

Of course you want to avoid that argument, because it's one you loose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Especially since the Gospel authors were anonymous and written at least decades after the alleged events.
Biographies and other historical books about people and events that existed and took place hundreds of years ago, and even thousands of years ago, are still being written to this day. For example, consider the historical books about the Comanches being discussed on another active thread here on the Campfire. Nobody doubts their historicity or their reliability.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Because the title of the thread was “Do you believe in god”. I am not anything that you mentioned by your name calling. I wished I had the faith some of you do but I don’t. At least I am honest with myself. Your a good reason why people do not respect “Christians”.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God created the Universe. Who Created God? The believers argument here always ends with the logical fallacy of Special Pleading.
So let me get this straight: the universe and everything in it can come from nothing, but a Divine Awareness could not…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Because the title of the thread was “Do you believe in god”. I am not anything that you mentioned by your name calling. I wished I had the faith some of you do but I don’t. At least I am honest with myself. Your a good reason why people do not respect “Christians”.

Matthew 7:7
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

It is not always found in churches, from a neighbor who claims to know about it or a self-proclaimed prophet. But I do feel that in God's own time He will reveal Himself to everyone who truly seeks Him out.

I do hope you find such peace and joy in your life. It can begin a walk that is very fulfilling. There has been a promise made to us!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Keep being honest with yourself and keep seeking the truth. God wants people to seek the truth. I believe that if you seek to honestly and truthfully know God, you will.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
God created the Universe. Who Created God? The believers argument here always ends with the logical fallacy of Special Pleading.
So let me get this straight: the universe and everything in it can come from nothing, but a Divine Awareness could not…?

Did the Universe come from nothing?

Do we really know that?

And what do you mean by "nothing"?

Page 35 of 64 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 22250rem, 1badf350, 204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,230
Posts18,504,336
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.