Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
As said before - power comes back on, the ship's hard turn is actually prop walk due to it being single screw. Full astern will cause the stern to swing to port, essentially lining the ship/effectively bow to starboard. It's a physics thing.

Your theory makes sense, Teal. But are you not believing the reports that the propulsion never came back on, and the black smoke was from the backup generator?

This engineer HERE has said that the smoke isn't diesel generator out the stack but main propulsion as fuel pressure comes up.

Even better explanation.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
PLC’s are hard to hack as they are not casually connected to WAN’s. The supervisory system on ships are not connected to WAN’s, just local networks, not the internet.

These days the LAN most PLCs are connected to is just VLAN'd off from the WAN. Either that or the PLC network contains a remote device that VPNs up to the internet. This is done for remote support purposes, diagnostics, centralized maintenance, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read one account where port authorities indicated the pilot radioed loss of control, lost the mains, emergency diesel was started, he ordered port anchor drop, but they couldn't get propulsion back in time to avoid the collision.

The real investigation is why did they lose the mains during maneuvering in a narrow channel under pilot pilotage.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kolofardos

I think some of the data recording stopped while the power was out.

I'm ignorant about these things, but one would think a data recorder would have battery backup. Maybe the people that set up the data recorder were the same one's that set up the CCTV for Epstein's cell. Just simple incompetence? That sounds plausible.

rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at this collision as a single incident may obscure the big picture.

It appears to me that Mrs.Logan has been researching far more than just this collision.

Her credentials are impressive and I would not readily dismiss her warnings.She has established contacts with former intell officers and spec ops guys and numerous other warriors who have been warning about such attacks for years.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Knowing the ship's momentum too enormous to reverse, why did they not hold steady course? When power was restored, why did they not power up on a safe heading - knowing reverse could not save the day? No headway, no steerage. But, what do I know? Holiday Express was full last night.....

You should have started with "but what do I know" and quit.

He actually had some valid questions.

The more I watch the video and think about it, the more curious I get.

Those pilots make 700k a year btw.

700K a year? Why would you even TRY to pass on such BS that can be checked so easily?

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/harbor-pilot-salary/baltimore-md

Old news. Try to keep up. Salary’s for pilots have shot up post COVID. I am literally sitting on boat with someone who knows.

Google can only get you so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rte
Looking at this collision as a single incident may obscure the big picture.

It appears to me that Mrs.Logan has been researching far more than just this collision.

Her credentials are impressive and I would not readily dismiss her warnings.She has established contacts with former intell officers and spec ops guys and numerous other warriors who have been warning about such attacks for years.

I absolutely do believe such things are coming. Likely several in different stages of planning. I think they're coming soon. Those "military aged men" coming over the border each day are only "military aged" so long so they have a shelf life so to speak. And considering how controlling China is with people (look what they've done to Jack Ma over simply criticizing central banking there) - there's no way all those Chinese, military aged males are here without purpose.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rte

This makes sense but how do you account for numerous videos that show the lights came on just a few minutes before the ship made a hard turn to starboard,which then forced it into a collision with a main structural support.

As said before - power comes back on, the ship's hard turn is actually prop walk due to it being single screw. Full astern will cause the stern to swing to port, essentially lining the ship/effectively bow to starboard. It's a physics thing.

I think we're going to find that it's bad fuel taking down systems/generators - flintlocke was onto that early.

Also it's been reported now that they were having system failure before leaving.

Bunker oil is bad fuel by definition. Ship, not super yacht needing diesel dialysis. Bad fuel causes electrical breakers to blow? Gee, who knew. I'm expert mariner enough to know speed is safety. No headway - no control. Nobody throws a ship that size in reverse expecting it to stop. No competently trained captain would that is. Who is that Gillette Razor guy again on simple answers?

Linky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think some of the data recording stopped while the power was out.

I'm ignorant about these things, but one would think a data recorder would have battery backup. Maybe the people that set up the data recorder were the same one's that set up the CCTV for Epstein's cell. Just simple incompetence? That sounds plausible.

There wasnt any incompetence with Epstein. He was murdered. Doc who did the autopsy said as much

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Knowing the ship's momentum too enormous to reverse, why did they not hold steady course? When power was restored, why did they not power up on a safe heading - knowing reverse could not save the day? No headway, no steerage. But, what do I know? Holiday Express was full last night.....

You should have started with "but what do I know" and quit.

He actually had some valid questions.

The more I watch the video and think about it, the more curious I get.

Those pilots make 700k a year btw.

He had ZERO "valid" questions.

Lol.

Life would be better for you if you took that 2x4 out of your arse.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder what changes will be made so something like this wont happen again

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve

Your theory makes sense, Teal. But are you not believing the reports that the propulsion never came back on, and the black smoke was from the backup generator?

In the vid that Geno re-posted above the author thought the smoke was from them trying to get the engine restarted. Not clear that was successful.
For those interested, the dude's video, from before the one I re-posted from Steve's post, shows the ship's actual track just as one would see on the navigation screen on their bridge, or on AIS if one is watching at home, or in the company office.

The ship may look like it made a "hard turn" but that is the effect of perspective and the size of the vessel. If one looks at the track if becomes relatively obvious that a 990' + long ship is not making a hard turn, it might be attempting to but can't given momentary loss of power, the vessel has already slewed off course, and ships 3 football fields long Do Not make hard turns in a short area or distance. (unless perhaps with the help of some tugs)

As is evident on the picture of the track the ship was following, it was not anywhere near as sideways to the bridge during its approach as the camera angle on the videos makes it appear to be.

I'd sure like to have the time and real interest in finding out wind speed (direction is evident from the smoke) and current speed and direction at that point in the harbor when the ship lost power. Maybe someone else will dig that info up.

I'm taking bets that in the future the Port Authority there will start requiring tug assistance until ships are out of the harbor completely. That will be heavily resisted by shipping companies as those tugs are not cheap and they will likely charge by the hour.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunchamp
See my post there,

I'm guessing tug assistance until out of the harbor, Maybe out past the #1 buoy even?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The VDR does have battery backup to record the bare minimum of data. When power was lost the full complement of VDR data stopped and the battery backup continued recording the specified data. Once power came back the VDR started recording again. Dropping the port anchor wouldn’t stop a vessel that size and weight going 7+Kts. but it should have POTENTIALLY changed the course of the vessel to port, even dragging hard. I can’t imagine dropping the port anchor and keeping the rudder hard to starboard…as soon as you get propulsion back from either backup systems or your mains you’ll be pushing a lot of water over that hard to starboard oriented rudder which is counterintuitive to knowing that you need to swing to port. It’s never a single thing that causes catastrophic accidents but rather it’s a combination of bad decisions that create the error chain, break a single link in that error chain and things might be drastically different. Coincidentally I’m currently reading a book about Marine Casualties written by a friend of mine who is an unlimited international Master with 300,000 miles at sea. This accident will be interesting once all is known but there’s too much unknown right now to make the final call.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The GOV will take over all shipping operations , country wide, forthwith! Problem solved!

rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here are some more salient facts I found this morning.

Baltimore is one of the largest ports on the eastern seaboard of the United States. It is the fourth largest port on the East Coast by total tons of cargo handled.according to the https://www.bts.gov/

The port is the twelfth largest container port in the U.S., according to Ryan Peterson, the CEO of Flexport.

It was ninth in terms of the tonnage according to the governor of Maryland.

It was the first in terms of the volume of automobiles and light trucks,including 847,158 cars and light trucks.

It is also the second largest terminal for coal exports, handling around 74 million tons of coal last year, according to Bloomberg.

Peterson of Flexport stated that between the Red Sea crisis and the loss of Baltimore’s port,shipping will move toward the West Coast,where the Chicomms control a substantial number of those ports.

I watched a report last night that claimed that Baltimore handled more cargo as far as monetary value than any other port in the USA.I've not been able to establish this as fact,yet.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
See my post there,

I'm guessing tug assistance until out of the harbor, Maybe out past the #1 buoy even?
That makes most sense. I cant believe they werent already requiring that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troublesome82

The GOV will take over all shipping operations , country wide, forthwith! Problem solved!
For sure. Gov will swoop in and fix it all haha

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Next bridge will be built with dolphins and I bet they review all others and require them for old bridges without.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
See my post there,

That makes most sense. I cant believe they werent already requiring that
It's all about the money.

Ships don't often require that assistance once underway. Shipping companies don't want to pay for what's not normally needed. Actuarial tables likely figured the odds of it happening are so low, "we'll take our chances".

Just look at building in flood zones. Every time the Mississippi or some other big river overflows its banks, they just rebuild.

With the insurance companies refusing to write new policies for Cali due to their losses in wildfires and maybe quakes, when will see Allstate and Progressive stop writing in flood prone areas???

In it is contentment

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.