Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
If I'd shot every bird dog I'd wanted to at 14 months (most of them), I would have never enjoyed another decade with fabulous hunting companions.

Furthermore, if I'd bragged about it in writing, I'd be dumber than a sack of hammers.

https://fox59.com/news/national-wor...-dog-after-bad-hunting-trip-in-new-book/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some dogs do need put down, depending on the circumstances.

But from the article, it sounds a bit different than what you may be portraying.

On the way home, the dog escaped her truck and attacked a local family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another,” Noem wrote.

When Noem tried to grab the dog, she wrote that it whipped around to bite her. Noem said she wrote the family a check for their chickens and helped them dispose of the carcasses “littering the scene of the crime.”

I'm a dog lover with 5 of them myself, but if I caught them killing livestock, and it turned on me, it might be time to consider options.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Might be a stretch saying the dog shifted to killing "livestock." This german wirehair had training on birds, and no doubt had a great time snatching really dumb ones that ran around in circles. Likely Kristi was screaming her head off too, and was rough with the dog (who may have barely bonded with her, as it had been with a trainer).
It sound to me like the dog had potential, and maybe was a good judge of human character as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Might be a stretch saying the dog shifted to killing "livestock." This german wirehair had training on birds, and no doubt had a great time snatching really dumb ones that ran around in circles. Likely Kristi was screaming her head off too, and was rough with the dog (who may have barely bonded with her, as it had been with a trainer).
It sound to me like the dog had potential, and maybe was a good judge of human character as well.

Maybe.

I'd still choose Noem over Gretchen Whitmer.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
Don’t agree with shooting a dog for chasing birds as this can be trained to halt. If a dog turns on me he moves on to another home. Won’t shoot a dog, but dog gets rehomed. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What does any of this have to do with her magnificent tata's?? Asking for Boomers nationwide.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I live in the middle of plantation country….thousands and thousands of acres devoted to quail hunting. Intense breeding programs for pointers, setters, spaniels on the majority of those properties. Every litter born…perhaps two dogs out of the litter make good bird dogs, maybe three. Pretty much no one wants a reject pointer, etc, for a family pet…..

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldve shot the dog right then and there. Didnt like it, but I have done it.

Last edited by Swifty52; 04/26/24.

Swifty
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Don’t agree with shooting a dog for chasing birds as this can be trained to halt. If a dog turns on me he moves on to another home. Won’t shoot a dog, but dog gets rehomed. MTG

Why pass your problem on to someone else? Plenty of good dogs that don’t bite people get put down every year.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A dog that bites should not get rehomed. The 3 S rule applies, or should.

IC B3

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure is a lot of assuming and filling in the blanks. thats how bullshit gets started ! I grew up handling and helping my dad train hunting dogs for the first 27 years of my life. if you have ever spent any time around as many dogs as we were you would know that there is the occasional idiot dog that is a Tasmanian devil dog . that is totally unpredictable . we trained coon dogs , running dogs, { coyote dogs } beagles and deer dogs for people all over the country. it was normal for us to have anywhere between 25/30 dogs on the farm at anytime. there were a lot of dogs that got put down due to stupidity.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Maybe.

I'd still choose Noem over Gretchen Whitmer.

Keep in mind, the OP is a liberal from Missoula. Long history of posting liberal bs.

MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
More Democrat lies, because that’s what they do. No morals whatsoever.

Sad we have to share our oxygen with them.

By the way, chicken killers get shot all the time. If the OP wasn’t a big city liberal idiot he would know that.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I applaud the govna. Unfortunately, that dog needed put down with that type of behavior. If you don’t have the balls to do it yourself, take it to the vet for the job.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
What I'm curious about is how the dog got loose in the farm yard. Was the dog so "untrainable" that Noem had the dog riding in the cab, and it jumped out a cracked window? Or did she fail to adequately latch the crate in her truck bed? Or ???

Sound like multiple problems led to the unfortunate chicken killing incident, and the dog paid the full price. Most bird dogs get better as they mature... if they have competent handlers with patience and decent observational skill. It doesn't sound like this dog was so fortunate, and that the handler was so embarrassed that writing a check for dead chickens and killing the dog was how she somehow redeemed the incident.

In any case, Noem hasn't advanced herself as a shining Ambassador of pheasant hunting, at least not by this account. We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Knows nothing about upland dogs, hunting or farming. Good on her for immediately reimbursing the farmer for the livestock killed. Says a good deal about her character

Supported a president that drone killed dozens innocent brown skinned children and a pedophile president that fondles, sucks kisses children in public and who showered with his 11 year old step daughter.

Sad pathetic man. The kind of man who owns aggressive dogs that he can't control. We all know the type. Like Biden's dog who has attacked dozens of people and is never punished

Last edited by ribka; 04/26/24.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

What's the lie? This is Noem's story she has just published in a book, as reported by Fox News. Or have you even checked the linked Fox story?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I got a dog that tries to bite me, under any circumstance, that dog learns right then to NEVER try that again. If the dog is unable to figure it out and tries it again, I am short a dog. I do not pass an aggressive dog off to anyone else. 99% of people have no idea how to handle an aggressive dog, and giving them one is not a favor to them or anyone else.

I have had GSD’s for years, and none of them has ever tried to bite a person as long as they were healthy. My favorite one ever was so loyal to me it was amazing. He got an eye condition that was slowly taking his sight, and got jumpy about certain things. My sister in law came over one day, jumps out of the car and starts her usual loud talking and waving her hands around. Griz(the dog) had come up behind her, and when she raised her arm, he jumped up and nipped her. Not really an attack, but he did draw blood. She understood his condition and did not blame him, but I put him down that afternoon after they left. Only dog I ever shed tears over. I dug the hole, called him over, and he came and stood right in front of it. I pet him for a few minutes, and when he turned his head to look at something, I put the 1911 to the back of his head and fired. He never even twitched, just literally collapsed into the hole. As good as I could have hoped for. Still twisted me up to have to do it. But he was a good dog and did not deserve to be handed off to strangers to be put down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d have done the same.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What's the lie? This is Noem's story she has just published in a book, as reported by Fox News. Or have you even checked the linked Fox story?

Does being in the news make it true?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

You’re fat, broke, and have a 40 IQ.

Prove me wrong.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I'd shot every bird dog I'd wanted to at 14 months (most of them), I would have never enjoyed another decade with fabulous hunting companions.

Furthermore, if I'd bragged about it in writing, I'd be dumber than a sack of hammers.

Noem was right in putting the dog down.
Furthermore, your opinion just shows that you are dumber than her.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You’re fat, broke, and have a 40 IQ.

Prove me wrong.

I don't know about that, but I believe they work at the University there. I could be wrong on that, but 100% a Missoulian representing well.

MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I actually own a farm in North Dakota, in the family since 1919. I hope I'm not broke, because I just retired early. And I've never worked at a University anywhere for even a day. I was actually sent for IQ testing when I was in third grade because I was hassling the teacher... they concluded the teacher was the problem and sent me to advanced programs. I've shot somewhere around 45 head of deer, pronghorn, elk, and African game, and somewhere around 1,400 upland birds in three countries. I've trained 9 very productive pointing dogs and a Lab, and never shot one yet. If I'd loosed them within 50 yards of any chicken, it would have been "Winner winner, chicken dinner!" Duck hunting is for you fatties immune to cold. But I have to admit, I need to drop 10 lbs. before the mountain grouse season resumes in September because the hills are steep.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I actually own a farm in North Dakota, in the family since 1919. I hope I'm not broke, because I just retired early. And I've never worked at a University anywhere for even a day. I was actually sent for IQ testing when I was in third grade because I was hassling the teacher... they concluded the teacher was the problem and sent me to advanced programs. I've shot somewhere around 45 head of deer, pronghorn, elk, and African game, and somewhere around 1,400 upland birds in three countries. I've trained 9 very productive pointing dogs and a Lab, and never shot one yet. If I'd loosed them within 50 yards of any chicken, it would have been "Winner winner, chicken dinner!" Duck hunting is for you fatties immune to cold. But I have to admit, I need to drop 10 lbs. before the mountain grouse season resumes in September because the hills are steep.

Some of that is probably true.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your assumption that she is bragging may be flawed - she stated that disclosing it was intended to provide an example.
If you lived in farm country and owned a chicken killing dog - especially one killing someone else's chickens - what would you do with it? If you admitted shooting it, would that be bragging?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to me that it reveals piss poor dog training and dog handling more than it does a flaw in the dog. My weimaraners are always hard-charging instinctive hunting dogs and will chase anything that moves. They'll also stop when I tell them to stop, even if it means letting the cat go that she flushed while we were running a couple days ago when I hollered "whoa".

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by patbrennan
A dog that bites should not get rehomed. The 3 S rule applies, or should.
Are you any relation to Walter?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some dogs do need put down, depending on the circumstances.

But from the article, it sounds a bit different than what you may be portraying.

On the way home, the dog escaped her truck and attacked a local family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another,” Noem wrote.

When Noem tried to grab the dog, she wrote that it whipped around to bite her. Noem said she wrote the family a check for their chickens and helped them dispose of the carcasses “littering the scene of the crime.”

I'm a dog lover with 5 of them myself, but if I caught them killing livestock, and it turned on me, it might be time to consider options.

Had a dog when I was a kid my Dad had to "disappear" because it had acquired an incurable appetite for the neighbor's chickens.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
We rescued a German Shepherd when I was in high school. Incredibly beautiful dog. One morning, I came outside and there was a chewed up dead lamb carcass on my doorstep. It looked like it had been dead for a while, so I figured "she must have found the carcass." The next day, there was a fresh lamb carcass on my doorstep. I told my Mom we had to return the shepherd, since she clearly had a loose wire - she retrieved sheep! We returned her to the rescue center and they found her a nice home in the suburbs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by selmer
Seems to me that it reveals piss poor dog training and dog handling more than it does a flaw in the dog. My weimaraners are always hard-charging instinctive hunting dogs and will chase anything that moves. They'll also stop when I tell them to stop, even if it means letting the cat go that she flushed while we were running a couple days ago when I hollered "whoa".
Sounds like those are good and well trained Weimaraners. Excellent breed.

OTOH, as some have said above, there are some individual dogs in any breed that are atypical, and some simply won't work out even with the best of training. Like some humans.

Not enough in the account to enable discernment, but readily killing chickens does not sound like a good foundation.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Only about a third of them are worth a shįt.

You do the whole thing a disservice by keeping them around.

Fugging people who will åss shoot a deer and watch it die for an hour get all uppity over killing a shìtbag dog.

Seems normal....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Liberals do get upset about their fur babies. Even a simple story about farm life will throw them into a tizzy.

OP, do regale us with your feelings some more. Maybe a story of how proud you are of Biden and his dog handling skill?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I understand some dogs need to be put down, like pit bulls. However being upset because a young bird dog went after birds and then nipped you in the excitement and then putting it down seems like something a wise politician would keep to herself. Not understanding that she has far more to lose for boasting about her ability to "make the hard call" and kill her young bird dog then she ever would to gain from such a story shows poor political judgment. Sounds a little like if she would have done more doing the hard work and less of making the hard call she could have had a whole different outcome.

Ive learned young bird dogs can be knotheads especially smart ones with drive if you don't work with them and teach them. I had to figure that out the last few years but as I've worked with mine and she's matured a bit she's become a great dog and keeps getting better at everything. It just takes more work than I realized when I first got her.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Fugging people who will åss shoot a deer and watch it die for an hour get all uppity over killing a shìtbag dog.

Seems normal....

You should write for Outdoor Life. Retch Sweeney couldn’t handle the situation any better.

People’s preponderance to replace humans with their love for animals, has put a false value on the animals as well as a human. I don’t care whose dog it was that killed someone’s chickens and then bit me, it gets smoked and thrown in a ditch.

These are the same people that want to rehabilitate career criminals and burden society with the pollution of the aftermath of a bad decision. The only thing worse is when someone comes up and says “my, what a beautiful dog.” Like you made it or something. For Pete’s sake a dog won’t drive your kids to school or fix you dinner, what is the big deal?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Fugging Liberal Clickbait.

OF COURSE... bad animals have to be put down.

Bad people too.

Don't believe me... walk thru the jungle sometime...

Or a chithole city...

I'll stand by for your research and summary opinion.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We need fewer stories like this going nationwide.

Yet here you are as the one who brought this front and center.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

You may "own" land but I'd bet you don't farm. Big difference. The problem could have been headed off by not letting the pup get to the neighbors property to begin with yet she handled a bad situation well compensating their loss monetarily, actually cleaning up the mess created herself and then the very unpleasant task of putting down an animal that not only kills livestock but could potentially bite children. She may not be a dog trainer but surely knows that priority lies with people. The goat don't count because it's a goat....no love lost there.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

He's a liberal anti American, anti Trump schitbag, to be expected.

Jon won two terms in Montana's Senate (elected by his district), was selected Senate president, then ran for the Congressional Senate seat representing Montana and won that too (three times). If you want to call all those wins out-of-state money, you are a 'tard. He drives around Big Sandy with a Savage 99 in his truck rack, succeeds as one of the Senate's last actual farmers, and votes for keeping Montana Montana every chance he gets. Works for me.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Would it ease your liberal heart to think of it as a very late term canine abortion?

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a dog once that not only attacked my dog in the backyard but then turned on me. The dog belonged to a family up the street. I didn't want to do it and I didn't like doing it but I did it. I can respect that she is willing to talk about it and not try to deny it ever happened. Some here may hold the shooting against her (but they were not standing in her shoes at the time) but I have more respect for her doing it and admitting it than having her do it and try to hide it. Feel free to disagree but most politicians would have tried to hide and deny it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I shot a dog once that not only attacked my dog in the backyard but then turned on me. The dog belonged to a family up the street. I didn't want to do it and I didn't like doing it but I did it. I can respect that she is willing to talk about it and not try to deny it ever happened. Some here may hold the shooting against her (but they were not standing in her shoes at the time) but I have more respect for her doing it and admitting it than having her do it and try to hide it. Feel free to disagree but most politicians would have tried to hide and deny it.

The wisdom in her actions shows how they can’t find any skeletons in her closet when she admits to doing it rather than having the socialized press, trying to dig it up later and ruin her rep reputation…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs by guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I live in the middle of plantation country….thousands and thousands of acres devoted to quail hunting. Intense breeding programs for pointers, setters, spaniels on the majority of those properties. Every litter born…perhaps two dogs out of the litter make good bird dogs, maybe three. Pretty much no one wants a reject pointer, etc, for a family pet…..

Bullchitt. If you have a good breeding program, you “might” get a boot licker now and then, and they might not all turn out to be trial dogs, but they should ALL be good bird dogs. My last litter every single dog was a stud on birds. They might not all have had the run to be an AA FC, but if you were hunting for meat, you sure the hell weren’t going hungry. And before you disagree, I know some of the breeders in your area, lived not far from there for 9 years and was very involved in bird dogs, and those breeders would disagree with you.

Noem is an idiot. First off, what do you expect from a young GWP? They are full of piss and vinegar, and are bred to hunt and kill everything! 2nd, you train a bird dog in the yard, not with other dogs in hopes they will learn from other dogs. She obviously shouldn’t even own a bird dog, and especially one bred like a GWP!! The poor fricken dog was 14 months old. It was essentially a child. Most dogs aren’t even ready to be broke until at least 18 months, but more like 2 years. It’s why pointing dogs can run derby trials until their 2nd birthday.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/27/24.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

Not in the slightest. I'm happy to let the "Fire" try to digest what Fox News has reported... also to demonstrate the wide range of capacity (including those who are in common-sense agreement with me) and wild and distracting imaginations of some posters here.

And finally I'm thankful to be reminded of some of the smarter and on-point things (for instance, being pro-farmer) I've posted here in the past.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a dog, we all love them, I have 4, but in the end it's a dog and millions are put down every year.
Put on your big girl panties and stop the liberal bleeding heart feel good BS.

Euthanized animal statistics
On average, 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized every year in the United States. Shelters around the country euthanize an estimated 670,000 dogs and 860,000 cats each year.Mar 27, 2024

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/research/pet-adoption-statistics/#:~:text=Euthanized%20animal%20statistics,-For%20a%20deeper&text=On%20average%2C%201.5%20million%20shelter,and%20860%2C000%20cats%20each%20year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds to me like you never worked or lived on a farm or ranch, i have put down 6 horses . some because of old age ,some from injuries that were unsolvible and one that was uncontrolable.
I would never pas on a horse or dog that was a danger to people or other animals, to often i have seen or delt with horses or ponies that are a danger to people yet they are still passed on to another unsuspecting owner. Husbanding animals sometimes is very difficult, such is life .

Good on Christy for being responsible and truthfull.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by norm99

Sounds to me like you never worked or lived on a farm or ranch, i have put down 6 horses . some because of old age ,some from injuries that were unsolvible and one that was uncontrolable.
I would never pas on a horse or dog that was a danger to people or other animals, to often i have seen or delt with horses or ponies that are a danger to people yet they are still passed on to another unsuspecting owner. Husbanding animals sometimes is very difficult, such is life .

Norm

Problem is many of us that know bird dogs see all the red flags raised in her telling of the story. First off, it’s a GWP, and that’s literally what the Germans bred them to do. 2nd, you don’t hunt a young dog with other dogs so they “learn.” You train them in the yard first using barrels, whoa posts, etc. 3rd, the dog was 14 months old. It was a child still. Just because Noem doesn’t understand bird dogs and how to train them doesn’t mean the dog should have been shot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think some are missing the point here. I don't think anyone here likes to have to shoot a dog. I'll admit that I have shot one for killing chickens and guinea hens. Unless you were there, you don't know exactly what happened. Especially when a dog turns on you and attempts to bite you. Sometimes the deed has to be done.

More importantly, she assessed a situation. She then made a decision to deal with the problem. Then she had the intestinal fortitude to complete the task. And most of all she was 100% Honest about. She owned it.

She has just the kind of character that's needed in today's Govt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
She always seems like she is trying a little too hard.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
doesn't seem like the best move to write about it in a book.

there is definitely backlash out there among potential supporters over this.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
She should have kept her mouth shut, some animals need to be put down, but the question is at only 14 months old how did she raise him, maybe she should have spent more time with the dog. I had bird dogs for years and I spend a lot of personal time with them, did they kill other creatures, yes, my GSP Jake kills everything that comes his way, so far 3 huge skunks, bunch of possums, ground and tree squirrels, rats without number and the other day, don't ask me how but he got a pigeon. But he never attacked me, none of my dogs ever have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Originally Posted by norm99

Norm

Problem is many of us that know bird dogs see all the red flags raised in her telling of the story. First off, it’s a GWP, and that’s literally what the Germans bred them to do. 2nd, you don’t hunt a young dog with other dogs so they “learn.” You train them in the yard first using barrels, whoa posts, etc. 3rd, the dog was 14 months old. It was a child still. Just because Noem doesn’t understand bird dogs and how to train them doesn’t mean the dog should have been shot.

Nobody here GAF about anything about you, chkunt.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Complete training fail. And it seems no training was even attempted if your approach is to “training” is to take an untrained dog hunting with other dogs “so it can learn”

Even worse was the solution

What a dumbfuqk

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a cattle dog. My first…..it was disturbed. The previous owner was training it to fight. He gave it to me when he got kicked outta its parents home.

One night I had it, decided to shoot it.

In the moonlight I looked at it with a loaded 12 ga.

It laid down! I gave it a reprieve.

Turns out it was an incredible dog.

Very grateful to have owned it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
So, after quite a number of knowledgeable put downs guys who actually know dogs and common sense, do you wish you had instead posted this in some Lib political rag?

Not in the slightest. I'm happy to let the "Fire" try to digest what Fox News has reported... also to demonstrate the wide range of capacity (including those who are in common-sense agreement with me) and wild and distracting imaginations of some posters here.

And finally I'm thankful to be reminded of some of the smarter and on-point things (for instance, being pro-farmer) I've posted here in the past.
If you think the folks here need you to"let" them do anything, you might be simply whacko. if you think they need you to be able to digest any of the varied "news" voices, you are surely whacko.

There always will be some folks with "wild and distracting imaginations", and we usually spot those easily. The more disingenuous fakers reveal themselves, but in a different way.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Anybody liberal from Missoula is an idiot and needs to be ignored. I live in a small town between Missoula and Helena and unfortunately have to deal with the reality that leftist progressives are invading Montana in droves. The saddest part is that there are a lot of home grown, old school Democrats here that haven't accepted that their party has deserted them and become pretty much the antithesis to what the 1930's Democrat party was all about. Old farmers still think that the Democrats are about saving the common man from the rich Republicans. Studies have proven that the majority of the rich in America nowadays are Democrats, and they have no connection to rural America in any way, that's why the Democrats want to destroy small farms and ranches and force people to eat crickets.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I didn't read all the responses. I farm and ranch in SD. Grew up on the farm. I see animals die or have to be put down constantly. This culture is what is wrong with the world. We have gotten soft. Some guys want to re-home the dog, actually a lot of people. Tough decisions need to be made on the spot. We want leaders to step up and buck the wind. Well, this is what leaders do. Do I think she is the greatest governor we've ever had, absolutely no. She's a politician and has done things for her family to increase wealth and status. I hold my nose and will continue to vote for her until another candidate that I like better comes along. I've shot dogs for killing livestock. I've shot dogs for biting people. It sucks but you make the call and follow through and move on. Maybe it's a different lifestyle us rural folk live. The people who actually do it for a living. Her dog had a job and wasn't doing it plus tried to bite her. I had a dog that got into the neighbors chickens. Once. This coming from a guy who has a 3 legged gwp that has 1000s invested in vet bills. I've got a friend that grew up raising chasing dogs in NE. If that dog didn't do his job, it was killed on the spot. He grew up hard cause it was his job to get them from pups to the age of chasing yotes. Watched his dad kill hundreds. We are given dominion over animals. Does that give us the ability to abuse them, absolutely not. But, the bad ones need culled. We'll make more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah lefty this one time she could have left her reality unmentioned and been better off for her silence..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Bullchitt. If you have a good breeding program, you “might” get a boot licker now and then, and they might not all turn out to be trial dogs, but they should ALL be good bird dogs. My last litter every single dog was a stud on birds. They might not all have had the run to be an AA FC, but if you were hunting for meat, you sure the hell weren’t going hungry. And before you disagree, I know some of the breeders in your area, lived not far from there for 9 years and was very involved in bird dogs, and those breeders would disagree with you.

Noem is an idiot. First off, what do you expect from a young GWP? They are full of piss and vinegar, and are bred to hunt and kill everything! 2nd, you train a bird dog in the yard, not with other dogs in hopes they will learn from other dogs. She obviously shouldn’t even own a bird dog, and especially one bred like a GWP!! The poor fricken dog was 14 months old. It was essentially a child. Most dogs aren’t even ready to be broke until at least 18 months, but more like 2 years. It’s why pointing dogs can run derby trials until their 2nd birthday.

Wow, what a mind trust we have on the Campfire.

Trump tweets mean
Tulsi Gabbard can’t give up the Democrat party, regardless of what she says
Now we kick Kristi Noem to the curb for shooting an egg sucking dog.

You would think they all hunted with a Leupold scope.

No wonder Liberals win, conservatives can’t agree on anything…

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’ve shot dogs. Depends on the context, the dog and what was happening. I never shot one without cause or one that didn’t need shooting.

Now, she probably didn’t need to share that bit of info in a woke world.

IMO. I only hold her accountable for writing that, not for shooting a dog.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
No wonder Liberals win, conservatives can’t agree on anything…

Not many conservatives in this thread. But the ones who are here mostly agree. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had to put down a good hunting dog. She bit people. It happens.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I only hold her accountable for writing that...

The only reason she would bring it up - it's going to be disclosed anyway.

Getting ahead of the story........

Bigger question: why is she writing another book?

Because Trump has an appointment in mind for her.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Some of that is probably true.

Wow!! he's something else.......Not. I doubt much of it is true at all.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I once got knocked down by a German Shepherd as I walked to the elementary school bus. My dad (a Third Army combat WWII vet, battlefield commissioned officer, POW) knocked on the owner's door that evening with a loaded pistol in his hand. That shepherd was never loose again. I've put down my own dogs due to injury or age. Things need done. Other things are avoidable, or just really poor judgement.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After reading the story, I can see why she did it. A dog that kills chickens for fun and tries to bite you isn't worth a whole lot, and is a liability. Of course the media spins it and makes her a evil witch, killing poor Old Yeller just for fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She has way bigger balls than Gavin Newsom.

Proud NRA Life Member
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Her dad died when she was a young teen and it was up to her to make the ranch work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The dog was a pup still

And, from the information given, completely untrained. From the information given, not even obedience trained which is evident from the incidents cited

Who takes a completely untrained dog on a pheasant hunt with veteran dogs in hopes that the pup will “learn” from the experience is shocked when the pup “ruins” the hunt?

A reasonable person would expect that outcome

The article states that after the hunt, the dog “escaped from her vehicle” and killed someone’s chickens which is more evidence that she can’t even reliably control a dog she owns

Oh, and the puppy tried to bite her when she attempted to stop him. Probably the first training interaction she ever had with the dog

So her solution to a problem she is responsible for is to shoot her dog, that she fuqked up. Amazing

She has done great things for SD and is one hell of a capable Governor, but that’s as far as she’ll go.

Trump will never nominate her for schidt with this glaring problem that will be immediately used by the commies to smear the ticket

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
She should be VP and President of the Senate.
Make those rotten curs think twice.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
doesn't seem like the best move to write about it in a book.

there is definitely backlash out there among potential supporters over this.

Milktoast = Ohio

Jus saying.

Simple question... Honest question...

Have you EVER kilt anything?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jimone
She should be VP and President of the Senate.
Make those rotten curs think twice.

That is about 99% of what I read in the OP link proposition.

Laying groundwork et al.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
The dog was a pup still

And, from the information given, completely untrained. From the information given, not even obedience trained which is evident from the incidents cited

Who takes a completely untrained dog on a pheasant hunt with veteran dogs in hopes that the pup will “learn” from the experience is shocked when the pup “ruins” the hunt?

A reasonable person would expect that outcome

The article states that after the hunt, the dog “escaped from her vehicle” and killed someone’s chickens which is more evidence that she can’t even reliably control a dog she owns

Oh, and the puppy tried to bite her when she attempted to stop him. Probably the first training interaction she ever had with the dog

So her solution to a problem she is responsible for is to shoot her dog, that she fuqked up. Amazing

She has done great things for SD and is one hell of a capable Governor, but that’s as far as she’ll go.

Trump will never nominate her for schidt with this glaring problem that will be immediately used by the commies to smear the ticket

It ain't about a dog...

It is a foundation statement about fugging up the displacement... that is consuming OUR America.

Copy?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Slope77
She always seems like she is trying a little too hard.

That is a brilliant statement...

I agree.

BUT... I will give her a pass... FOR NOW.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The Dems think she should have spent $200 at the vet to put the dog down their PC way. Which is still not good enough for the perps on death row.

Last edited by Epishemore; 04/27/24.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The real thesis here is...

Are you ready to "Minuteman"???

Are you ready to WAR???

OR...

Will you keyboard commando... until you gets inta da boxcar?

Every man must make his own decision...

Right?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a brilliant statement...

I agree.

BUT... I will give her a pass... FOR NOW.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m there with you. I don’t fault her for shooting the dog…….writing about it…..discretion, reading the room, and just why would you want to talk about it?

I give her a pass too. Heck of a governor….more than that….eh.

Last edited by Slope77; 04/27/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Seems normal....

Dogs are mostly a reflection of their owners, which is why most of yours suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A dog that bites needs put down

An owner that keeps a dog that bites needs put down

if you're not capable of putting down a dog that needs it, don't get a dog

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Seems normal....

You know Jim and his dogs personally?

Or are you just another idiot guessing... like every other swinging dick commie out there?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dutch

BINGO...

FedEx included!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Seems normal....

Or are you just another idiot guessing... like every other swinging dick commie out there?

I’ve met Jim and his dogs and like and respect the whole pack.

Urban folk just don’t get it.

MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Seems normal....

I’ve met Jim and his dogs and like and respect the whole pack.

Urban folk just don’t get it.

Enough said... for me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

In this case, it’s the jackss owners fault! Only an idiot takes an untrained GWP out on a pheasant hunt with other dogs, then allows it to get out and kill chickens, and then fuggs up and gets bit because she doesn’t understand the dog when the GWP is doing EXACTLY what they are bred to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

In this case, it’s the jack@ss owners fault! Only an idiot takes an untrained GWP out on a pheasant hunt with other dogs, then allows it to get out and kill chickens, and then fuggs up and gets bit because she doesn’t understand the dog when the GWP is doing EXACTLY what they are bred to do.

In reality, only an idiot ASSUMES to know all the circumstances around an incident, and how much training was actually involved.

You'd probably be surprised at the number of pups that don't make it through various stages of training in any given field trial situation. I've known for a long time that top breeders and trainers cull very deep because their reputations, as well as the expensive bloodlines are at stake. Horses too. And several other animals.

But please continue to let your emotions run rampant.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This isn’t about Kristi, it’s about the reaction to an incident.

People have criticized Kristi for something they don’t agree with. The dog is no loss to the world and you can see through the reactions of people with a misplaced sense of reality that has replaced humans with animals.

Kristi has proven her resilience and political skills through her actions as a governor. She never shut down South Dakota during Covid, she has and continues to support conservative politics. Few people, let alone a woman, have the spine and a moral and political compass she has and all the uproar over a worthless dog has shown how America has deteriorated by this reaction.

Forget Kristi and consider all the reactions, this is the real litmus test of what is right or wrong in America…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In this case, it’s the jack@ss owners fault! Only an idiot takes an untrained GWP out on a pheasant hunt with other dogs, then allows it to get out and kill chickens, and then fuggs up and gets bit because she doesn’t understand the dog when the GWP is doing EXACTLY what they are bred to do.
Bred to be human aggressive and un-biddable, gotcha.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This isn’t about Kristi, it’s about the reaction to an incident.

People have criticized Kristi for something they don’t agree with. The dog is no loss to the world and you can see through the reactions of people with a misplaced sense of reality that has replaced humans with animals.

Kristi has proven her resilience and political skills through her actions as a governor. She never shut down South Dakota during Covid, she has and continues to support conservative politics. Few people, let alone a woman, have the spine and a moral and political compass she has and all the uproar over a worthless dog has shown how America has deteriorated by this reaction.

Forget Kristi and consider all the reactions, this is the real litmus test of what is right or wrong in America…

This ^^^

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
Her dad died when she was a young teen and it was up to her to make the ranch work.
Almost true. Her father died in a farming accident in 1994 when Kristi was 23, the same year she had her first child. Sounds like she was already well into adulthood.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah your right but it is also about being smart enough to know somethings don"t need to be said or publicly discussed. It will cost her support and votes. Just like conservatives stance on abortion and until they figure that out it will keep costing them political offices and getting this country back on track. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

In reality, only an idiot ASSUMES to know all the circumstances around an incident, and how much training was actually involved.

You'd probably be surprised at the number of pups that don't make it through various stages of training in any given field trial situation. I've known for a long time that top breeders and trainers cull very deep because their reputations, as well as the expensive bloodlines are at stake. Horses too. And several other animals.

But please continue to let your emotions run rampant.

This isn’t about field trials though is it? It’s about a person who put their dog on the ground in a hunting situation to “learn from other dogs.” That’s about as big of a red flag as you can get. And I’m very aware of how breeders breed and treat their dogs. Thank god the ways of the past are mostly gone. Instead of killing the dog, she should have given it to someone who understands how to train and handle a bird dog.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/28/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of killing the dog, she should have given it to someone who understands how to train and handle a bird dog.

Someone who knowingly gives a human-aggressive dog away should be legally held as an criminal accessory as well as civilly liable any time that dog bites again.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Instead of killing the dog, she should have given it to someone who understands how to train and handle a bird dog.

Someone who knowingly gives a human-aggressive dog away should be legally held as an criminal accessory as well as civilly liable any time that dog bites again.

This thread kicked sand in all the emotional little liberal cunnies... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I wasn't there. I don't know Kristi Noem. I didn't know the dog. These facts make it impossible for me to judge that situation which led up to the shooting of the dog. Her telling of the story really shows an inability to read the room or fit the story to the moral. Her intent, I'm sure, was to show that she accepts responsibility when things go wrong (she paid for the dead chickens), and she is willing to make the hard choices (shooting the dog). Whether the shooting of the dog was done out a sense of duty or was the result of unbridled emotion (anger and embarrassment), I can't say. I wasn't there. That she failed in her attempt to select a story which highlight the attributes she wished to showcase is undeniable. In the end, supporters will give her a pass, detractors will vilify her, and those on the fence will split. Sadly, I think the split, in this instance, might benefit the Dems. GD

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Someone who knowingly gives a human-aggressive dog away should be legally held as a criminal accessory as well as civilly liable any time that dog bites again.

Posted by someone who obviously knows nothing about dogs. Like I said, anyone who knows anything about training dogs can see all the red flags in Noem’s story. I have NEVER had a dog get out of a secured crate! So why was the dog allowed to get around the chickens anyway? And also, why didn’t the electric collar work in the field? Two words, user error. I have rolled dogs via the collar, and it only takes once or twice. First time my male saw a javelina in AZ while quail hunting in AZ, he couldn’t help himself. While I didn’t really enjoy rolling him, I also knew he’d never run another javelina, which could get him killed.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/28/24.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Someone who knowingly gives a human-aggressive dog away should be legally held as a criminal accessory as well as civilly liable any time that dog bites again.

Posted by someone who obviously knows nothing about dogs. Like I said, anyone who knows anything about training dogs can see all the red flags in Noem’s story. I have NEVER had a dog get out of a secured crate! So why was the dog allowed to get around the chickens anyway?

Hahaha!

You fugging sock puppets come up with some whoppers.

This is triple ace territory!

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Oh, so because something has "never happened to you" means it can't ever happen!
Got it...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

This thread kicked sand in all the emotional little liberal cunnies... smile

Boy you said it!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Posted by someone who obviously knows nothing about dogs. Like I said, anyone who knows anything about training dogs can see all the red flags in Noem’s story. I have NEVER had a dog get out of a secured crate! So why was the dog allowed to get around the chickens anyway? And also, why didn’t the electric collar work in the field? Two words, user error. I have rolled dogs via the collar, and it only takes once or twice. First time my male saw a javelina in AZ while quail hunting in AZ, he couldn’t help himself. While I didn’t really enjoy rolling him, I also knew he’d never run another javelina, which could get him killed.

When you don't have an argument, attack the person........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if that was my dog that dog would have wished he was dead after he bite me , had a young dog bite me once , that dog was a good dog after that when i got done with him. > Kristy Noem did the right think with her dog why pick on her she is on our side boys ? > a good dog would learn quickly not to do that crap a bad dog should be shot. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Meh, the whole story is probably another typical lie.

Hope she can still find a place to pose as a hunter, she's banned from stepping foot on a good sized portion of the state she pretends to govern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hahahaha!

Fugging city people.

Dogs are like horses.

Seems normal....

You should write for Outdoor Life. Retch Sweeney couldn’t handle the situation any better.

People’s preponderance to replace humans with their love for animals, has put a false value on the animals as well as a human. I don’t care whose dog it was that killed someone’s chickens and then bit me, it gets smoked and thrown in a ditch.

These are the same people that want to rehabilitate career criminals and burden society with the pollution of the aftermath of a bad decision. The only thing worse is when someone comes up and says “my, what a beautiful dog.” Like you made it or something. For Pete’s sake a dog won’t drive your kids to school or fix you dinner, what is the big deal?
When you live in the country dogs and cats come and go. Some just wander off and some are helped. It's the way it is.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Oh, so because something has "never happened to you" means it can't ever happen!
Got it...

Obviously it can happen to anyone. But there’s just WAY too many red flags. You NEVER grab a dog from behind when it’s fighting, feeding, etc. Startled dogs natural reactions is to bite. You walk up behind a horse and startle it, guess what happens? You’re probably getting kicked. No different than with a dog. She literally says the dog “whipped around to bite me.” Why in the hell was she trying to grab the dog from behind?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Hope she can still find a place to pose as a hunter, she's banned from stepping foot on a good sized portion of the state she pretends to govern.

Is that a fact?

Seems like there was a Tester ad out with him posing as a hunter with a photoshopped cottontail rabbit by his feet... laugh

Tell us all who "governs" Indian Reservations?

It ain't only her who's banned from reservations... YOUR white ass is too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

> ^ THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE ! ^ about stepping on a good portion of land in South Dakota , she does hunt some too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53

> ^ THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE ! ^ about stepping on a good portion of land in South Dakota , she does hunt some too.

Only the liberal Indian reservations.

I'd wear it as a badge of honor... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've known a few dogs (not mine) I would've either trained up real quick to not do the worthless shìt they did, or shot if they were mine. And they didn't bite.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Don't doubt that, you wear ignorant as a badge of honor real well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Is that a fact?

Seems like there was a Tester ad out with him posing as a hunter with a photoshopped cottontail rabbit by his feet... laugh

Yes it is a fact. And no I'm not banned from the reservations in sodak like the governor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Just STFU and sit down, moron.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is that a fact?

Yes it is a fact. And no I'm not banned from the reservations in sodak like the governor.

Let's take into account how dogs are treated on the Rez, and circle back to the Noem dog treatment argument?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL.

Well if I wear some, you live in a world of it... laugh

Dumbass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Is that a fact?

Let's take into account how dogs are treated on the Rez, and circle back to the Noem dog treatment argument?

It's more than likely a big lie, the only thing she shoots for sure is herself in the foot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The people who even give a chit about what she did with her dog, those people are the problem.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The people who even give a chit about what she did with her dog, those people are the problem.

Tend to agree in particular since nobody even knows if it's true or just a tuff girl story.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Reminder for the type of women evil childless creeps like Lloyd Hettick vote and support

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Tend to agree in particular since nobody even knows if it's true or just a tuff girl story.

You would know all about tuff girl stories....tuff girl.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I like Noem. She can come to my teepee anytime!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well, they could give a shìt without trying to make it their business, that would be progress.

Those that make it their business have one thing in common. Either their name is Karen, or it should be

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I like and respect Kristi very much but let's face it gentleman...

At the end of the day and no matter which way you look at it...

She's a bleeder.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Obviously you have never been to the Pine Ridge Rez. Being banned from there implies a person might want to go there.
Having to go there myself on a couple occasions for business, I know of no human being who willingly wants to go there otherwise. Nor will I go back.
Kudos to the Governor.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Rooster7

She's a bleeder.

Classy comment.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Osky

Obviously you have never been to the Pine Ridge Rez. Being banned from there implies a person might want to go there.
Having to go there myself on a couple occasions for business, I know of no human being who willingly wants to go there otherwise. Nor will I go back.
Kudos to the Governor.

Osky

I've worked on the pine ridge Rez, but in fairness not in "town".

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
nothing scares fat old boomer homosexual gun grabber commies like lloyd hettick more than an attractive christian heterosexual mother who has children

Kudos to the Governor.

Osky

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ribka
nothing scares fat old boomer homosexual gun grabber commies like lloyd hettick more than an attractive christian heterosexual mother who has children

Kudos to the Governor.

Osky

Hey Moscow Karenbot, Putin needs your "attention".

Last edited by BuzzH; 04/28/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
lloyd are you still upset you cant legally have sex with Noem's children? your hero Biden took showers with is 11 year old step daughter according to her not surprised this doesn't disturb creeps like you

Last edited by ribka; 04/28/24.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
lloyd are you still upset you cant legally have sex with Noem's children? your hero Biden took showers with is 11 year old step daughter according to her not surprised this doesn't disturb creeps like you

Putin still needs your "attention".

Why do you hate the U.S. so much spreading Russian propaganda?

That's well past creepy.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From X

I can understand why some people are upset about a 20 year old story of Cricket, one of the working dogs at our ranch, in my upcoming book — No Going Back. The book is filled with many honest stories of my life, good and bad days, challenges, painful decisions, and lessons learned. What I learned from my years of public service, especially leading South Dakota through COVID, is people are looking for leaders who are authentic, willing to learn from the past, and don’t shy away from tough challenges. My hope is anyone reading this book will have an understanding that I always work to make the best decisions I can for the people in my life. The fact is, South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down. Given that Cricket had shown aggressive behavior toward people by biting them, I decided what I did. Whether running the ranch or in politics, I have never passed on my responsibilities to anyone else to handle. Even if it’s hard and painful. I followed the law and was being a responsible parent, dog owner, and neighbor. As I explained in the book, it wasn't easy. But often the easy way isn't the right way.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Putin still needs your "attention".

Why do you hate the U.S. so much spreading Russian propaganda?

That's well past creepy.
Ur the fuqkin phaagut creep

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I can figure is she must be catholic and feels the need to confess.

If you can’t line out a young family pet……..

You should not be axing for votes.

Or thinking sharing this action somehow will gain voter confidence.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems like the posters that are dogpiling on her are the same twats that are never-Trumpers. Go figure.....

Like the op, bitch ass birds of a feather lol.

MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Angus1895
All I can figure is she must be catholic and feels the need to confess.

If you can’t line out a young family pet……..

You should not be axing for votes.

Or thinking sharing this action somehow will gain voter confidence.

Some people have short memories. You don’t remember how the presidential candidate from Utah not that many years back was absolutely torched for taking his dog on vacation in a closed carrier on the car roof? Of all the stupid things.

I’m sure others new of this happening with Christy and as far as I can see she was smart enough to get out in front of it. I think she pays attention to past happenings.

Osky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like governor Noem…..

But I don’t think shooting a 14 month old dog named cricket, and having to explain to a child what happened to cricket is presidential material.

I understand she is a barrel racer…….

Enough said

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
High minded.....

Gets us Biden.

Thanks pal.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like governor Noem…..

But I don’t think shooting a 14 month old dog named cricket, and having to explain to a child what happened to cricket is presidential material.

I understand she is a barrel racer…….

Enough said

What’s special about the name?

Would you prefer kids not to know the facts of life?

I’d rather a president or any elected official have the life experience of putting an animal down than some fairy that can’t handle it, or lies to their kids about it.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have u a gummy

It’s all good

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

She's a bleeder.

Classy comment.

Osky

Hey man! Flave posted that when I was in the shower!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimone
From X

I can understand why some people are upset about a 20 year old story of Cricket, one of the working dogs at our ranch, in my upcoming book — No Going Back. The book is filled with many honest stories of my life, good and bad days, challenges, painful decisions, and lessons learned. What I learned from my years of public service, especially leading South Dakota through COVID, is people are looking for leaders who are authentic, willing to learn from the past, and don’t shy away from tough challenges. My hope is anyone reading this book will have an understanding that I always work to make the best decisions I can for the people in my life. The fact is, South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down. Given that Cricket had shown aggressive behavior toward people by biting them, I decided what I did. Whether running the ranch or in politics, I have never passed on my responsibilities to anyone else to handle. Even if it’s hard and painful. I followed the law and was being a responsible parent, dog owner, and neighbor. As I explained in the book, it wasn't easy. But often the easy way isn't the right way.

good response on her part

but the fact she had to actually address it, at least twice now thru social media tells you she is getting backlash for it and has to try tamp it down politically.

You can marginalize the people that are upset about it, but if she wants a political career outside of South Dakota, she'll have to win over some of those people.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/29/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

She's a bleeder.

Classy comment.

Osky

Hey man! Flave posted that when I was in the shower!

I should have known!

Osky

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
She shot a dog?

Ok.

Most people who would never vote for her won't like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people who wouldn’t vote..,,,,

Will vote now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Epishemore
The Dems think she should have spent $200 at the vet to put the dog down their PC way. Which is still not good enough for the perps on death row.
She's a rancher; they are frugal by nature, don't waste $200 for the cost of a ctg. Even less if she reloads.

Bullets can work on death row and in some states, they do.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Have u a gummy

It’s all good

Have you another booster.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Didn't I read somewhere that this took place some 20 years ago? But yet it is now relevant?

Heck, I suppose MSNBC is currently looking for a "witness" to try to bring animal cruelty charges against her at this very moment.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mitten Romney put a family dog in a carrier on top of the family station wagon, he was roasted over it when he was running for prez. Dog was unharmed as far as I know. This story will be front page news on every social media platform (just like the wolf idiot in WY) if she is chosen as VP candidate.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Any dog named "Cricket" will surely be shot some day.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Didn't I read somewhere that this took place some 20 years ago? But yet it is now relevant?

Heck, I suppose MSNBC is currently looking for a "witness" to try to bring animal cruelty charges against her at this very moment.

She's coming out with a autobiography. I'm sure that there was some left wing libs that got a copy of it and scoured it for dirt and this is all they could come up with.

On the other hand, she didn't do herself any favors politically.

It was her dog, so it was her decision. Maybe she should have left that part out of the book. SSS.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

"Likely..."

"Likely..."

GTFOOH Quit projecting your liberal bullsch!t onto others and situations you have no idea about.

You are on this board for over 10 years and you only rear your head when it's election time and you want to take potshots.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know many dogs that would last long around here that would kill chickens and live long. Matter of fact, a neighbor had all of her chickens killed by another neighbor's dog. The only reason that dog lived a little longer is because her husband wasn't a good enough shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading the article, I am not sure I would characterize her killing of the dog as 'bragging'.
I should probably read the book itself to get a better idea of the whole deal, but I am under the impression her point for writing that message was to emphasize that sometimes things need to be done that aren't pleasant, but that she's willing to do what needs to be done. Assuming there's any scrap of truth in the article, I can't see how anyone can interpret that as bragging. Virtue signaling for voters maybe, but not bragging.

As an aside, any dog that bites a person that wasn't being tormented or tortured by said person is going to have serious considerations for a bullet, via myself. I've done it. I'm not proud of it and sure as hell am not bragging about it.

Edited: I read a few more responses and see I am not the only one who brought this up...

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/29/24.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
After reading the article, I am not sure I would characterize her killing of the dog as 'bragging'.
I should probably read the book itself to get a better idea of the whole deal, but I am under the impression her point for writing that message was to emphasize that sometimes things need to be done that aren't pleasant, but that she's willing to do what needs to be done. Assuming there's any scrap of truth in the article, I can't see how anyone can interpret that as bragging. Virtue signaling for voters maybe, but not bragging.

As an aside, any dog that bites a person that wasn't being tormented or tortured by said person is going to have serious considerations for a bullet, via myself. I've done it. I'm not proud of it and sure as hell am not bragging about it.

Yarp.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Tarkio

"Likely..."

"Likely..."

GTFOOH Quit projecting your liberal bullsch!t onto others and situations you have no idea about.

You are on this board for over 10 years and you only rear your head when it's election time and you want to take potshots.

Tarkio: pay attention before you project your own B.S. I'm all over this board, reading, learning, posting, buying and selling. I shipped a fine Winchester
to another long-time poster here an hour ago. GC

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 04/29/24.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

"Likely..."

"Likely..."

Tarkio: pay attention before you project your own B.S. I'm all over this board, reading, learning, posting, buying and selling. I shipped a substantial fine Winchester
You did?

Cool....did you bleed all over it first you dumb bitch?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

"Likely..."

"Likely..."

Tarkio: pay attention before you project your own B.S. I'm all over this board, reading, learning, posting, buying and selling. I shipped a fine Winchester

11 years = ~3900 days. 960 posts in that any days.

I should have clarified with regards to the campfire subforum.

I have never seen any of your posts until just recently when you started chiming in with your liberal politics.

And you did project there buddy. You have zero idea what happened. What Noem did, said, how she acted when she shot this dog.

You are part of the same class of people hand-wringing over this and at the same time that are single-issue voters with regards to abortion.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a huge fan of Noem.

But the reality is, when something needs to be put down, most people can't bring themselves to do it. Gal decided it needed done, and did it.

Is that cold? Is that callous? Yeah, maybe a bit. But I am one to say you need some of that in your leaders when tough decisions need to be made.

Montana MOFO
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of assumptions, however German Wirehaired Pointers and Drahtaars are terrrific dogs but the $64 question is training first for obedience, then hunting. It would be interesting if Rich Smith chimed in.

Those dogs are hunting machine that much we all know. If the dog doesn’t have consistent training in the early years by someone who knows what they are doing, trouble begins.

Anyone’s guess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was excited about the possibility of Trump choosing Noem, that's done now.
I don't blame her actions with the dog, she did what she wanted to do with her animal.

The majority of voters who hear any story of someone shooting her own dog (14 month 'puppy' as framed by the media) will hold it against her. She's finished as a veep candidate, zero chance. The Trump campaign already echoed those thoughts.

Curious why she revealed all of this unless she was just trying to get ahead of the story. Maybe a bunch of libtards owned the chickens and watched things go down. Either way, she's done.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ok, I’m going to get roasted for this. But, heck, you only live once.

Sarah Palin II.

I’ve said it before. She is a very good governor. That’s it. She is trying too hard, it’s not working and there are skeletons. She could be a fine Senator eventually if she doesn’t turn RHINO in the process. Isn’t that what always happens?

The only female in my memory that had what it takes to be at the top level was Margaret Thatcher. Gov Noem is no Margaret Thatcher. (I dimly remember a southern governor - Arkansas, Alabama? She was exceptional). Most of them survive because everyone is afraid to call them out. Diversity hires.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
You are part of the same class of people hand-wringing over this and at the same time that are single-issue voters with regards to abortion.

Not to be too analytic of your statements here, but projecting that I'm a single-issue voter on abortion is a doozy. What popular vote has ever been taken on abortion, at least in my lifetime?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am beginning to think she maybe crazy like a fox.

Weren’t it Mick Jagger to state

Any publicity is good publicity?

I bet it sells a few books in the least?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll add this, if you are a Republican governor in ND or SD, the primary objective is not to f’ [bleep] up. You have arguably the most conservative base in the country. White, Christian, conservative, in a quiet, solid sort of way, mostly well educated, with agricultural roots. Oh you have a few natives being natives that must be dealt with.

The base wants the state run a certain way. You can exceed their expectations, mainly in terms of economic development, and by being discerning and wise on social and tax issues. But they have your back.

SD has Noem. ND has Burgum. They are fine, even excellent governors for their states. Very unfortunately, those states are substantially different from the nation.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The OP is demonstrating his urban roots...acquiring a Montana zip code does not make for a rural mindset. City people by their very nature are repelled by the unpleasant decisions that people who make/made their livelihood for generations have to make...improve genetics, destroy the animals that will tear down generations of careful, thoughtful breeding...improve the breed, improve the herd. Noem reacted quickly and perfectly to the standards of the world she is from.
If anyone needs a quick tutorial on genetics...check the crime stats in Chicago, Philly, St Louis...classic unchecked breeding outcome.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yikes!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Not to be too analytic of your statements here, but projecting that I'm a single-issue voter on abortion is a doozy. What popular vote has ever been taken on abortion, at least in my lifetime?

Reading isn't your strong suit is it?

"I said you are part of the class of people..."

Nice sidestep attempt. Typical sorry leftist.

You are wringing your hands over this. Maybe just because it suits your political ideology??? But in doing so, you are juping in with the class of people that are going to be upset over this. Yet fight tough and nail to defend the right of people to kill infants in the womb.

aybe check into this site: www.rif.org

Last edited by Tarkio; 04/29/24.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The OP is demonstrating his urban roots...acquiring a Montana zip code does not make for a rural mindset.
If you think about it, Gov. Noem was actually the OP.
I just directed the 'Fire to Fox's reporting of Noem's post in her own book.

Yes, its true like i wrote, there are many dogs I've been frustrated with as youngsters. But I didn't shoot them.
Noem IMO was defeated by a driven puppy, and showed further horrible judgement by publicizing it.
She also has probably given upland hunting the biggest black eye in modern history. Really really unfortunate.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Grouse, In your world, you just spend the money to have the vet do the deed, or spend the money to neuter...or put up with a useless dog who just eats, schidts and wags it's tail for 12 more years. People in agriculture can't afford that. And if you've ever seen a vet plunge the needle into the dogs ribcage and inject the pentothal...it ain't f...king pretty...the well placed .22 is a lot more humane.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
In the areas of Eastern Oregon that I spend time in it's not unusual for people to shoot dogs that cause problems. I assume it's common across rural America. I know a number of people who have done that including some of my relatives. I'm not endorsing what she did, but the fuss seems kind of like an urban vs rural thing.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Grouse, In your world, you just spend the money to have the vet do the deed, or spend the money to neuter...or put up with a useless dog who just eats, schidts and wags it's tail for 12 more years. People in agriculture can't afford that. And if you've ever seen a vet plunge the needle into the dogs ribcage and inject the pentothal...it ain't f...king pretty...the well placed .22 is a lot more humane.

I actually spent a couple years as a veterinary technician, and assisted with putting down many animals including dogs young and old. We'd typically injected phenobarbital into the cephalic vein... it was usually quite gentle if the animal wasn't terrified or in horrible pain. So I didn't pay a vet to do the deed... I got paid to do the deed. Also assisted in neuters most weeks. And I raised both chickens and ducks for eggs and meat, and have dispatched lots of livestock. So don't tell me about my world experience.

But this conversation, which has now garnered nearly 10,000 views, is actually not about me. Not at all.

Noem has hurt public opinion of our upland sport, hunting with dogs (something people like me cherish) and her own career, by doing some really unfortunate things and communicating poorly and unwisely about them.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No...you being a giant vagina has hurt our upland sport.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by bowmanh
In the areas of Eastern Oregon that I spend time in it's not unusual for people to shoot dogs that cause problems. I assume it's common across rural America. I know a number of people who have done that including some of my relatives. I'm not endorsing what she did, but the fuss seems kind of like an urban vs rural thing.

Guy I know has a feedlot close to town.

If you are missing your dog...he collects the collars and you can look through them to see if you recognize yours.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of you remember the Sarah Palin interview where the turkey's were being slaughtered behind her?? Did that hurt her in the long run????

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
So Grousehunter, do you really honestly believe Noem was "bragging" about what she did?

If so, that's the problem. You seeing the act as bragging when there was no bragging to be found. But you found it some how, just like those idiots on MsNBC

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a little different take on this occurrence, course not being present much is purely conjecture,
as is everyone else’s.
First, I absolutely would not have put the dog down.
The dog was only doing what he was trained for, he knew no difference between s barn yard hen than a than a grouse or pheasant , he was just reacting instinctively .Secondly, I bet he inadvertently bit the governor in the excitement of the moment , I have personally been subject of such reactions with dogs involved in heated engagements, again it’s a natural reaction, especially from a younger dog.
I have first hand experience with a hunting dog and domestic birds. We live in a subdivision out of town, large lots, and livestock permitted, a few months ago new neighbors moved in across the lane , their dwellings are maybe 75 yards from ours. We have an 8 year old red lab, she is a wonderful hunter and very well trained. I knew the neighbors had geese and normally have them penned, but one morning they got out and and came up our lane unbeknownst to the wife and I. That morning I let our dog out the back door of the garage and followed her out into the tree line for her to do her thing. All of a sudden her nose sent up and she took of like a shot around the garage towards the front of the house out of my sight, I wasn’t concerned as we have cottontails all over, and she give chase of all of them for a short distance then turns around and comes back, this time she didn’t come right back so I started around the garage and here she comes with a very large goose by the neck, drops it at my feet and takes off. I hustle around the corner to be met by my dog with yet another goose, she drops it and once again turns to head out and I shouted a firm NO stay, which she promptly did. I and the dog , at heel, walked around the garage and here are 4 more geese, that promptly start waddling off at a rapid rate, and to my great satisfaction my dog watched them go , dancing around obviously wanting to retrieve a couple more, but stayed with me. I was immensely proud of her and never scolded her for a moment. She was only reacting as she had been trained,
I think the governor acted properly in reimbursing the farmer and I suspect apologized profusely. But killing a young dog, for reacting as he was trained, is a terrible lose both for the governor and an innocent animal with tremendous potential to bring years of enjoyment for himselve snd his owner.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Yup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
HA! I was looking for that pic and you came through.

This thread is hilarious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually spent a couple years as a veterinary technician, and assisted with putting down many animals including dogs young and old. We'd typically injected phenobarbital into the cephalic vein... it was usually quite gentle if the animal wasn't terrified or in horrible pain. So I didn't pay a vet to do the deed... I got paid to do the deed. Also assisted in neuters most weeks. And I raised both chickens and ducks for eggs and meat, and have dispatched lots of livestock. So don't tell me about my world experience.
But this conversation, which has now garnered nearly 10,000 views, is actually not about me. Not at all.
Noem has hurt public opinion of our upland sport, hunting with dogs (something people like me cherish) and her own career, by doing some really unfortunate things and communicating poorly and unwisely about them.
My dog is really stupid, but if he could read (we're working on it), that dumb dog immediately would realize the insincerity of that post and weak attempt at apology. Most people are not as dumb as my dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have zero clue why some of you all think that the dog chasing and killing the chickens was reasoning for her shooting the dog. The way I read the article and a few others, is that the chicken incident may have put her in a pissy mood, but it was the aggressive bite that made her decide to do the deed.

A different article I read didn't give the impression that the bite was just excitement in the moment, though one can't be sure I guess. I should order her book to get the first hand account and see if any positive impressions come away from it, as opposed to these news articles, which are unreliable at best.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm thinking that maybe we should start presenting a "Noemy" award to individuals making unequaled impacts to public opinion of upland field sports.

Attached Images
PupFixer_small.jpeg (6.86 KB, 145 downloads)
Last edited by GrouseChaser; 04/29/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking back I feel bad about shooting certain dogs. There was a ruthless period in my younger life that I don't like.

Trying to make up for it now.

Happy to say that I haven't shot a dog in over 10 years.
(jinx)

As for Noem, she's just another politician.
(on our side)

Last edited by SamOlson; 04/29/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lol

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Owner/handler error(s)... waaay before the outcome.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well said Sam.

Thanks

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mohall57
I have a little different take on this occurrence, course not being present much is purely conjecture,
as is everyone else’s.
First, I absolutely would not have put the dog down.
The dog was only doing what he was trained for, he knew no difference between s barn yard hen than a than a grouse or pheasant , he was just reacting instinctively .Secondly, I bet he inadvertently bit the governor in the excitement of the moment , I have personally been subject of such reactions with dogs involved in heated engagements, again it’s a natural reaction, especially from a younger dog.
I have first hand experience with a hunting dog and domestic birds. We live in a subdivision out of town, large lots, and livestock permitted, a few months ago new neighbors moved in across the lane , their dwellings are maybe 75 yards from ours. We have an 8 year old red lab, she is a wonderful hunter and very well trained. I knew the neighbors had geese and normally have them penned, but one morning they got out and and came up our lane unbeknownst to the wife and I. That morning I let our dog out the back door of the garage and followed her out into the tree line for her to do her thing. All of a sudden her nose sent up and she took of like a shot around the garage towards the front of the house out of my sight, I wasn’t concerned as we have cottontails all over, and she give chase of all of them for a short distance then turns around and comes back, this time she didn’t come right back so I started around the garage and here she comes with a very large goose by the neck, drops it at my feet and takes off. I hustle around the corner to be met by my dog with yet another goose, she drops it and once again turns to head out and I shouted a firm NO stay, which she promptly did. I and the dog , at heel, walked around the garage and here are 4 more geese, that promptly start waddling off at a rapid rate, and to my great satisfaction my dog watched them go , dancing around obviously wanting to retrieve a couple more, but stayed with me. I was immensely proud of her and never scolded her for a moment. She was only reacting as she had been trained,
I think the governor acted properly in reimbursing the farmer and I suspect apologized profusely. But killing a young dog, for reacting as he was trained, is a terrible lose both for the governor and an innocent animal with tremendous potential to bring years of enjoyment for himselve snd his owner.

Stay in the suburb.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good night.......she shot a dog of her's.......is this really worth wasting one second worrying about it? People must live very boring lives.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,364
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.