Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My first thought is that they are one of the few bargains on the custom rifle market. Melvin has consistently refused to raise his prices any faster than inflation and materials, unlike some other makers, because (and this is a quote) "I want the average guy to be able to afford one."

This is despite the fact that this stance has caused some marketing problems. One question he often gets is, "How can your $3000 rifle be as good as So-And-So's $6000 rifle?" I have shot and owned a bunch of "modern" custom rifles (syn-stock push-feed type) and have yet to find one that would do anything a NULA wouldn't--and many that wouldn't do things a NULA can.

The NULA would not be my first choice as a dedicated dangerous game rifle, though plenty of people have used them that way. For everything else it would be hard to imagine a more practical hunting rifle.

They balance better than any other lightweight I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. This is because the light action allows more weight to be put in the barrel, out where it helps hold the rifle steady. Some people actually prefer a little heavier barrel on NULA's for this reason. I have had no problem with the #1 contour, but often choose a 24" #2 myself, just because it holds a little steadier--and the rifle is still REALLY light. My .30-06 has this barrel, and still weighs 6.5 pounds with a typical 12-ounce 3-9x scope.

I have hunted with NULA's up to .300 Winchester Magnum and never had any problem with the recoil, but I have also never had any problem killing any big game animal with somewhat lighter rounds either. The .30-06 is a really good choice, but so is the .270 or 7x57 or .284 or .280 or whatever.

The big thing is that (as somebody already said) if you buy an all-around NULA you will probably want another one anyway pretty soon, and maybe more than one. Melvin makes a great varmint rifle too! And a NULA in .257 Roberts or whatever deer cartridge you like is pretty addictive as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is my model 24 .338-06 on the rim of a Colorado canyon. It is a couple ounces shy of seven pounds loaded and ready to go. I always say I will have Melvin rebarrel it standard .30-06 when I use up my supply of .338 bullets. Trouble is, it shoots so well I keep buying more!
[Linked Image]

I think the 7-08 or Melvin's favorite the .284 would be the ideal deer to elk rifle. Especially for us aging boomers who know how to shoot. Ditto to all that Mule Deer just said. Especially about the #2 contour barrel and wanting more!

Last edited by KyWindageII; 01/21/08. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't add anymore positive too what you've already heard but would recommend you consider a 280 or 30-06 if elk is on the menu. Just my .02

My limited experience with Mel and his rifles are GOOD.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meant to add, Probably one of BIGGEST errors since finding the campfire was NOT buying Steve's ULA in 30-06 a couple years ago.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Had just about convinced myself to keep saving my pennies for a semi-custom of some sort instead of a NULA, then you guys start this thread.... laugh

BTW, can the M20's in the 284 Win rounds fit three in the magazine?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daveh
Meant to add, Probably one of BIGGEST errors since finding the campfire was NOT buying Steve's ULA in 30-06 a couple years ago.

Dave

Friend Dave,

Yup, it was a major brainfart. The rifle was really clean and it shot amazingly well. I don't recall ever shooting a five-shot group as large as one-inch.

Amazing rifle and I sincerely hope that the fella who bought it appreciates the gun.

If I were to pick the perfect rifle for myself right now, it would be a NULA in .257 Weatherby. And a .223 would be awesome-cool, too. It's kinda looking like my hunting days are pretty much over, so even thinking about it, while entertaining and fun, is prolly totally academic.

Anyway, YEAH, I wish you'd stepped up and bought the rifle that Melvin hunted caribou with and that I killed a fair number of elk with. She still had lots of critters left in her and she was clean, clean, clean.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hmm 257WBY....

How about a 280AI in a M24?

What really draws me to the 7mm-08 is that this gun will become my companion and will be using on smaller stuff like coyote as a varmint gun. Those 100gr varminteers would be fun.

What would keep me from going to something in a Mag is I will probably put well over 500 a year though this and worry about barrel wear.

So to me the 7mm-08, 7X57, 284, and if available 280AI are probably a the top of the list..

What about optics?
Not a die hard leupold guy but wouldn't a VX-III 2.5-8 with a B&C be pretty king with this gun?

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, I did contact a friend of the fellow that bought the 30-06 and tried to buy it but to no avail......

Mike, The scope choice is fine but I would prefer a VXII with LR. 3-9x40 is my vote. I still would recommend a straight 280 but that's me........

Dave

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't ever looked at that reticle. I think I just might like better.. What other reasons do you prefer that scope? Wish they offered in the VX-III.

Dogzapper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by miket_81
What other reasons do you prefer that scope? Wish they offered in the VX-III.

The price, the power range, the 40mm obj, the LR duplex. The optics are same as the old Vari-XIII that we thought were fine.

Dave

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper

It's kinda looking like my hunting days are pretty much over,

Man, that sucks! frown Why is that? If it's too personal, I understand.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. Called Melvin, what a neat guy.
The 7mm-08 is looking good right now.
What BBL lenght would you guys recommend?
Thinking 20-21"?

Dogzapper

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Counting the muzzle break?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DCUP

It's kinda looking like my hunting days are pretty much over,

Man, that sucks! frown Why is that? If it's too personal, I understand.

Hey, no problem, life is great. Just getting old; slower, weaker, I hurt in places that didn't used to hurt and I just don't have the drive. Absolutely no regrets here; goodness knows I've had a long and wonderful hunting career.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jobyjob
Counting the muzzle break?

It would then be 19" from me having it cut-off!

Dogzapper

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lol.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Hey, no problem, life is great. Just getting old; slower, weaker, I hurt in places that didn't used to hurt and I just don't have the drive. Absolutely no regrets here; goodness knows I've had a long and wonderful hunting career.

Steve

Well, that's good news. More game for the rest of us! wink

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by miket_81
Thanks. Called Melvin, what a neat guy.
The 7mm-08 is looking good right now.
What BBL lenght would you guys recommend?
Thinking 20-21"?

I would go for the magic 21.75" length on a short action. I copied JB's 24" No. 2 in my NULA M24 .30-06. I also recommend going for the stainless steel barrel option as well (resists corrosion; longer barrel life; and likely better average accuracy).

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would go 22". It's not going to effect weight or balance much and it's free..... You can always have it bobbed off but hard to reinstall it.......

Dave

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I will only note that with MOST of the ULA and NULA rifles I have fooled with (and I have been shooting them for just about 20 years now) it doesn't make any difference at all if the barrel is cold, hot or smokin' hot. They still stack them into the same place. I suspect that any that doesn't has a barrel that didn't quitre make it out of heat-treating perfectly.

+1, my Model 20 rf is the most consistent .22 LR I've ever owned. They are worth every penny.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 22 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.