Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A friend found a Colt Light Rifle in .30-06, with scope (Leupold 6x42). He was wondering how owners liked them, and what is a good price. It told him I have no experience with them.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you designed 'em......

L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, we know at least one more person who doesn't know anything about them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never even seen one, always wanted to put my hands on one so I would know if I should try for one in 270 win.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've handled them but never owned one. I just could not warm up to the feel of them.

I've seen several in used gun racks in the area. Most have $425-$450 on them. Been there a while.

GB

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have got one on lay away right now. I keep hearing good things about them so I would give one a whirl. A couple guys on here have them/had them and seem to like them. Jist of it seems to be get the upgrade stock for it from NULA, and then go and kill stuff. Most seem to think the stock is a bit on the cheesey side, but never heard of one not shooting well.
I am going to stick with the factory stock for awhile. Like I said I will giving it a whirl, and seeing what I think.

Should be getting mine out of the lay away in the next couple weeks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd love to have one.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ones that I have seen on used gun racks lately are priced in the $500-$600 range. A friend picked one up off the internet earliery this year for $475, as I recall. I guess that if you can buy one for $500 or so and get with Mel Forbes, you can end up with what is essentially a ULA/NULA for less than half the price of a new one...

I am not a fan of the action, so have not been tempted (so far).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I talked to my friend. The seller, it turns out, has several other rifles he wants to move in order to buy an expensive shotgun, so my friend my buy this and some others, or just one of the others, because he now really wants something else in this collection. IOW, this CLR may be for available, or the scope off it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Lee, could you post a picture? Is it made in New Haven or Columbia? What are the Colt facilites like?

castandblast and I patiently await your return with the promised photos of the Model 70s: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2250322/page/5/fpart/37

Charles Fackler

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hey GeorgiaBoy....what part of GA are these rifles in? I might be interested in one myself.Like them myself.......

"Buy American"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Last edited by shootem; 07/31/08.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2, a 270 & a 300 Win Mag. They were manufactured in Maine. Both are good (MOA) shooters, and do not seem to picky. I do not understand the ongoing theme of complaints about the stocks, as I find them well designed, doing a good job with recoil, mounting, & carrying. You can send $400 to M. Forbes for one of his stocks that will bolt right on & shave another few ounces. I spent the money on powder, I figure I can loose a few ounces around my waist a whole lot cheaper. I would not care to have the 300 mag weigh any less.
I should note that I idolize NULA rifles, but simply do not have enough class to own one. Maybe in another lifetime....

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had one for a while in 300 WM. The trigger is different and takes some getting used to. Recoil was stout from a 300 WM that weighed less than 7 1/2 lbs scoped but I felt the stock was well designed and it was tolerable. I had it for a couple of years and only used it at the range. I just have no need for that much power here and I never hunted with mine so I sold it.

The store where I bought mine had 2 when I bought mine and the 2nd one is still there NIB for $469. When I bought mine 2 years ago the dealer had them marked down to what he said was his cost to move them. I paid $389 and was able to sell mine for $400 used so I did OK.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I will get you the information on the location. I think they would ship.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Another wise acre that knows as little about about Colt as they do about Winchester. Colt is in Hartford. To my knowledge, none of the CLRs were made there. But since you are not buying it, it doesn't matter.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cjf2
Lee, could you post a picture? Is it made in New Haven or Columbia? What are the Colt facilites like?

castandblast and I patiently await your return with the promised photos of the Model 70s: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2250322/page/5/fpart/37

Well, that is not entirely correct cjf2. Some things are totally predictable and among them are the sun rising in the east and Lee24 dodging requests for photographic proof. I quit waiting at least a year ago..... wink

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I got one -- paid $440 -- you have to order scope bases from Melvin who is a real class act. It's a real shooter although the stock is kinda cheesie, but like the other fella said I don't know that I'd spend $400 replacing it either.

...for sure...live long enough you're gonna end up dying of something
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Lee24
Another wise acre that knows as little about about Colt as they do about Winchester. Colt is in Hartford. To my knowledge, none of the CLRs were made there. But since you are not buying it, it doesn't matter.

Do you have any pictures of the facility? Make sure you get permission first. We are now on 37 pages waiting for those pictures and/or reasoning why you can't produce them.

Folks reading this: Lee, my friends, is so full of b.s. that he trips when he gets out of bed in the morning because he can't see.

Lee: here is the link to the Model 70 thread http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2250322/page/1/fpart/37

Charles Fackler

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
fishster,

These rifles were in the little town of Ambrose GA, about 12 from Douglas GA. Little town, but he does a lot of out of town buisness.

He had two on the rack the before Christmas, and seems like the last time I was in (Feb/March) he had one left in 30-06. It was used but did not seem abused. I can't say that he still has it, he has a good buisness going with a lot of turn over.

I'll get his number this weekend. If you want to give him a call just PM me and I'll pass his info on.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by hard2get2
I got one -- paid $440 -- you have to order scope bases from Melvin who is a real class act. It's a real shooter although the stock is kinda cheesie, but like the other fella said I don't know that I'd spend $400 replacing it either.

These rifles were built for Colt by Saco Defense Systems. Your rifle shipped from the factory with a set of one piece Talley lightwieghts. If you had to buy a set from Mel, the previus owner lost/sold the originals.

One can find some basic info on these guns via Google....

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 08/01/08.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 673, 16 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.