-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We were all new once. I started slow and made sure I spoke with everyone that I was trading with so they knew who and where I was and how to get in touch with me.

My first deal was a nightmare.... I triple boxed a Rem 375RUM XCR and had my wife drop it off at the USPS............Well 3 days later I get a call from BATF......My wife shipped the rifle to the address on the FFL all right......The BATF address.:( Of course I received it back in 2 days and it had been opened. The bolt was taken out of the bubble wrap and left to roll around in the box......Several dings. I called the buyer up and sent photos explaining that I would return his money as it was sold "As New".....He declined and asked that I ship the rifle back out.....Bob and I completed several trades after that.

My point is that you have to give folks the benefit of the doubt once in a while.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bad Guy List is the way to go.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Here's the reality:

You are free to file a report with the U.S. Postal Inspector's office. They aren't required to do squat. This is WAYYYYYYYYY down on their lists of priorities. It's somewhere below "coffee break."

You are also free to contact the local police departments. See above.

No one is going to run out and get a "no-knock" warrant based on your allegation. Period. These individuals telling you otherwise are living in a fantasy world.

The only "for sure" legal recourse you have is to file misdemeanor embezzlement charges against the individual. And there are absolutely NO guarantees there either. The local prosecutor may not want to mess with you due to your proximity to his jurisdiction and you will be required to appear in court in THAT jurisdiction if charges are in fact filed. That's a FACT.

Reference the well-known internet gun scoundrel "Dana Reed," aka "dropdbombnow," etc.

Peer pressure is the best alternative. Short of that, there ain't squat that can be done. That's called REALITY.

This has been discussed before. It is primarily a civil matter.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1218936/page/0/fpart/1
IF what you say is true, exactly what good is the law?
That is the law. And it's true. The resources and might of law enforcement are not at your beck and call.

Whenever something like this happens, there are always a few high-minded individuals who typically respond with this mouth-frothing nonsense about sending people to the penitentiary.

It's not going to happen.

Your case is a drop in a bucket within an ocean of many. You are expecting WAY too much if you honestly believe your single ALLEGATION -- because the other party may well have their own spin on things -- will compell any law enforcement agency or prosecutor to get involved in civil matters.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any time that I make a trade on any forum, before money transfers, like to exchange phone numbers. Sometimes it does not happen, but I like to any way.Think a Deadbeat board might help, especially with the ones that make a habit of getting over on people. I am also glad to give referrals on myself, have an Ebay Account with 475 100% positive feedback.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BOW777
Well, I personally deal with just old guys on the forum who have been here for a while and have a proven track record.

Dealing with people with LOW post count can be dangerous.....

Not really, I have been here longer than you with less posts. I have bought or traded for my last 6 rifles here with no problems. Some people have no need to spew their opinion on every subject or constantly post +1, -1 all day long.

-Piss into the wind.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TTT (and to increase my post count) grin

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
plus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had pretty good luck trading on a few forums ,here included.
I have also seen a long standing member of a different forum, disappear, and screw several members out of gun parts and cash.Local law enforcement was called in and would only confirm individual lived at said address,and was still there.No other action was taken.
I also got screwed by a "power seller" on ebay,who did what is know as "fee avoidance" (sell low and charge big for shipping).I used paypal for the transaction,so I thought I was covered,but low and behold,I ended up paying $70 to ship binos and got negative feed back to boot.Pay pal did nothing for me and would not help me.Last time I used them.
I now use MO for all transactions.Ebay is going to electronic pay only,when they do,Im done.
The internet sales are a new phenomenon and laws havent caught up yet.Sooner or later,they will get up to speed,but until then,your basically on your own, unless the transaction is over,I think $1000,which would make fraud a felony.If you lose $50 its going to be pretty tough to get satisfaction.
Bottom line is send money or goods wisely.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

the low post count will always be a flag.

But if anybody things all people are good out there - we'll they're nuts.

If a guy's been around here for multiple years, and has traded more than a couple of times your probably ok. Just a common sense rule one should apply.

Spot

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I want to apoligize to Snook, I made a terrible mistake assuming it was him that this is all about as he was the only person that had an entry on the original sale.

I am very sorry SNOOK it won't happen again. Hubert

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have to plus 1 KSMITHS comment. I primarily use forums like this for educational purposes. helps with my decision making. I dont feel the need to comment/post to every thread like I'm at the bingo hall.

While in principle the bad guy thread may be good we all know that circumstances of family, emergencies, health, work, accidents happen all the time and then this forum becomes the last thing on our minds til things settle. Those happenings dont change just because youre conducting business at any time.

I think thered be more misunderstandings and alot more time spent on trying to repair ones rep once the misunderstandings happened because folks wont hestitate to post on the thread. Then when the true facts come out, folks may not take the time to post a retraction and that persons ability to post here and conduct business here will be irreparably damaged to where they can no longer belong.

Good idea but alot more work once the *** starts flying.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,459
Posts18,508,193
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.