-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, there was no refund on shipping. I am pretty sure I paid shipping both ways plus the fluting of the bolt, I will check my old e-mails, I could be mistaken. I'll send you the bolt next week. Hopefully this will fix the problem and it could quite possibly eject loaded rounds with the port modification my gunsmith did. If not, I never miss on the first shot anyways (obviously joking). If you could send the old extractor back with it just in case it doesn't fix it or makes it worse? I really hope this works, I like everything else about he action and the way the rifle turned out. Was the issue only with WSM cartridges?

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The wsm were much more of a pain in the ass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phoenix Machine makes a hell of a nice action too - just was checking them out.

They made the "TEMPLAR" action for GA Precision (GAP)

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/28/08.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not convinced that the Phoenix has their bolt timing issue solved.
Butch

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I like Chevrolet trucks over Ford.....Oooo wait this is about custom Remington 700 clone actions...Same difference

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got an e-mail back from Pierce Actions, will make left and right hand actions and left and right hand ports in any combination. FWIW.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
wlfpack,
I don't see it that way. This is a discussion about receivers and what people perceive about them. I know that there will be a little of what you say, but mostly it is discussing the good and other things about the receivers.
Butch

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have read that there were some timing issues,I'm sure they will get it fixed!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
wlfpack,
I don't see it that way. This is a discussion about receivers and what people perceive about them. I know that there will be a little of what you say, but mostly it is discussing the good and other things about the receivers.
Butch

Yah I was just injecting a little bit of fun into this discussion. I see some Ford Chevy in here that is why I said it.

I however do have one question for you, how can the phoenix action have timing issues if GAP is using them. I am not being a smart ass I am just curious how they are dealing with the issue.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That is a good question. I just talked to a very respected gunsmith and he has been having a fit making the one he has extract smoothly. Do you blame Glenn or do you blame Dave Kiff?
I don't know, but it is usually the receiver manufacturer that should be responsible if he says to use Dave's bolts.
Butch

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Dave just supplies a product to replace a Remington. If it doesnt work with your product, I surely dont see how it can be Daves fault. Dave is very good at making parts per print and selling replacements. It seems to me it is up to Glen to make sure you can get a bolt assembly that works if you are only going to sell half of the action. Last I heard Dave specifically asked Glen to not advertise that he had bolts to complete his actions and the resulting issues.

All of the parts Dave makes us are to our tolerances and design, which is somewhat different than the Rem parts he does. All of our parts are spot on to the drawings we supply him.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's some more reading for your edification:

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55855&highlight=phoenix

By the way, GAP isn't the only rodeo in town.

Originally Posted by wfpack14
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
wlfpack,
Butch

Yah I was just injecting a little bit of fun into this discussion. I see some Ford Chevy in here that is why I said it.

I however do have one question for you, how can the phoenix action have timing issues if GAP is using them. I am not being a smart ass I am just curious how they are dealing with the issue.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yes I have read that forum very interesting. I know that GAP isn't the only game in town, they are just the only outfit that I knew of that was using these actions.

I have a Stiller predator on order right now so this thread has alot of interest to me, I will be going with a 7 SAUM instead of a 7 WSM.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be interested to look at the Pierce. I've been using Nesikas for a while, and have a Surgeon waiting for a barrel.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butch,

How did your Predator turn out? I recall corresponsing with you shortly after having my rifle completed, and you had a 300SAUM built if I recall? Did you have the same issues with ejecting as I did? How does the SAUM differ in feeding/ejecting from the WSM? I have to say that if ejecting reliably wasn't a problem, I would not hesitate to use a Predator again. I am of the belief though that for a hunting rifle I would rather have a larger loading port and sacrifice the extra stiffness of the action.

Another question about all these Remington clones, why hasn't somebody produced one in Titanium? If one could be produced for under $1500, I could see a market for them in lightweight rifles. Of course I have no idea what it would cost to produce one.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Poor Butch just keeps putting both feet in his mouth on this one!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Blackbird, don't you have anything constructive to add to this, in my opinion, very interesting topic? Or, do you just like to bash someone who does?

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Blackbird, What is your agenda? Blackfootkenai and I have discussed this by PM. I gave him my opinion and he gave me his. We are satisfied that we both know where each other stands. And by the way, boss hogg, slowpoke garcia, and whatever, your post are the same on every board.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/03/08.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Phoenix action on order, but I wanted it WITH a one piece bolt. I didn't want to have to hope that one of Dave's bolts would work.

Is making a bolt that much different than the whole action? Why don't the action makers manufacture their own bolts instead of sourcing it out to Dave Kiff?? Seems like this would alleviate some of the problems. At least Stiller supplies the action with the bolt so any problems are 100% their own.

I have been waiting for mine for a while!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The reason that many manufacturers have Dave do it is that Dave makes a good product for a good cost. I build our own benchrest bolts. I mainly do it because there are so many configurations and with the sliding plate extractor it is just easier to do it myself then define all of them for dave. I would almost guess that if Dave didnt build bolts, most of the action builders would quit. I would have to add another mill, lathe and grinder. Its not a huge deal for us, but probably a $200k investment. We weigh out the build versus buy every 6 months and so far decide to buy. I have plenty of work right now and Dave does a good job so why not spread the work a little bit. IF times slow down, that may change, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

The interesting quote about is that if the action builders built their own it would allevate some of the problems. My question is: Who out there has problems with their actions that supply the bolts?? I understand the Phoenix deal may have issues as a non mfr must put a bolt in it. Problem from day one till the end of time. But, from any of us that supply the complete action, what is the problem?? Every action I send has a properly fit bolt, handle etc whether I built it or not.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,081
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.