Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bruzer
Huntz,

Sorry....Here's the link.

www.cooperseeds.com

This one should work.

Robert

Bruzer,That got me to a site,but all they sell is vegetable seed????????No kind of grass,alfalfa or clover.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
Huntz,

www.cooperseeds.com

This one should work.

Robert

Bruzer,That got me to a site,but all they sell is vegetable seed????????No kind of grass,alfalfa or clover.

Huntz,

When you click the link you then need to click the "Wildlife Seeds" link with the picture of the deer on the home page. Once there you click on Summer or Winter Deer plantings and it will bring up the descriptions and price lists.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tx270
Funny you should mention that. One of the best ways to hunt a corn feeder here, if you want to kill a mature buck, is too hunt 200-300 yds away from the feeder on a main trail or draw/canyon the deer use going to the feeder. The reason is mature bucks usually avoid permanently placed corn feeders like the plague except at night. Sure young bucks and most does will stroll right up to a feeder, but your big mature deer will hang back well out of sight of the feeder. I have seen this several times and have taken some of my best bucks that way.

Even if their is a hot doe at the feeder I have personally witnessed a buck come out the brush chase her away from the feeder and out of sight of the feeder. He usually running the whole time until he is out of site of the feeder. If he can he will keep her blocked away from ever going to the feeder.

BTW on our place our tripods or stands are placed 130-175 yds away from, but in sight of the feeder. Many of our deer are killed a hundred or more yds away from the feeder, even the complete opposite direction in the stand from where the feeder is. We in fact discourage shooting deer right next to or under the feeder unless it is a kid hunting with us, because it offers them a clear broadside shot at an animal standing still. Less chance of them making a gut shot etc. due to their inexperience and excitement.

So if we kill a deer 200 yds away from the feeder that wasn't even coming directly to the feeder, does that still make us "shooters" because their was a feeder in that general area? Be honest now, how is that any different than you "shooting" a deer that was 160 yds from you "food plot"?

Bill

Bill,

We will have to agree to disagree. As I've said several times....I don't have a problem with someone shooting near bait as long as it's legal...It's just not for me.

Robert

Not for you? Thats exactly what your doing!

Bill

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've shot feral hogs over bait and have hunted deer in a state with more feed than Jackie Bushman's or Ray Scott's warehouses.

Sorry, there IS a difference, unless you call a whole state a feeder or bait?

I'm thinking trail convergence on a feeder versus a 50 acre field is more than 200 yds...actually I know it is.

I can't wait until Buckmasters starts the phenomenon of "feeding" pronghorns in Wyoming. That would make me want to go west again...its all good.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dale,

I got the yield numbers for the University of Georgia study on Duranna Clover production. The dry yield is 4,000lbs in year one and then reaching 4-5 Tons per acre based on the report I read. The 10 tons was not "dry weight" as clover is eaten directly from field stand that is the number I was told to use by Dr. Kent Kammermeyer.

Robert

That's what I thought. Therefore, you can't directly compare 20,000 lb of wet forage to 20,000 lb of corn.

Quick math shows a 150 lb deer will eat 3.75 lb of dry matter in a day. It takes 18.75 lb of forage (20% DM) or 4.2 lb of corn (90% DM) to get that amount.

Had you put your small plots in after you found the deer trail and bedding areas, I would call them bait. Since you said they are old log landings and you had no control over where they were sited, I would call them a food plot.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dale,

I just got off the phone with Chris Agee at Pennington Seed. These are the numbers I was given.

30,000-40,000 lbs per acre per year of wet forage.
4,000-5,000lbs of Dry Forage Per Acre containing 25% Protein

Our deer here average 140lbs or so so 3lbs of Dry Forage Per day.

So if the deer ate the food plots only we could support between 4-5 deer per acre per year.

The initial Cost for each 1 acre plot is roughly $500. Each year after the cost to fertilize and cut is $150.00

This breaks down to $100 per deer the first year.......$30 per deer the following years.

The area we are in has a deer concentration of 40 deer per square mile and we have roughly 2 square miles.

We have 7 acres of food plots so we can feed 35 Deer per year for a total of about $1,000.

Corn is 90% Dry Matter. So it would take 3.3lbs of Corn per deer per day or 1200 lbs per year.

Corn costs around $11.00 per 50lb bag here so that equates to $264 per deer per year.

To feed the same 35 Deer would cost $9,240 with Corn at a much lower protein level.

Of course deer are browsers so this would never happen but I just wanted to show how much less expensive a quality food plot costs versus the same amount of Corn.

So if Clover Food Plots.......

Cost 80% Less after the first year

Are more attractive "Bait" to Deer than Corn.

Improve the health of the wildlife.

Are much easier to maintain.

What reason would anyone have for using Corn?

Robert

Bruz

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Huntz
Huntz,

www.cooperseeds.com

This one should work.

Robert

Huntz,

When you click the link you then need to click the "Wildlife Seeds" link with the picture of the deer on the home page. Once there you click on Summer or Winter Deer plantings and it will bring up the descriptions and price lists.

Robert

Got it ,thanks huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bruzer, I plant food plots (about 40 acres total) and I use corn feeders, so what does that make me a hunter or a shooter? Often times I don't hunt on either but hunt draws and passage areas, so what does that make me?

Bill

Bill,

If someone is hunting around a Corn feeder then they are a baiter in my opinion. In Georgia the definition is a limit of 200 yards and out of sight. In Alabama it is defined as bait anywhere on the property.

You know how you hunt....I don't. I'll leave that determination up to you. I'm not trying to judge anyone who is taking game legally....My issue is with the terminology.

I have just been issued a Hog Permit for one of my farms. This permit allows me to bait the Hogs,Hunt at night, From a vehicle and use a 12 volt light. The farmer needs Hogs removed so that his peanuts and Corn have a chance to survive. I will not claim to have hunted these Hogs......I am strictly population control. I will eat the meat but you won't see one going on my wall....The bait just makes it too easy....In my opinion.

Of course the "Bow Only" hunters will say rifles make it too easy and then the "Traditional Archery" hunters will say that "Machine Bows" make it too easy....and so on and so on.

To each their own....Whatever makes everyone happy as long as it's legal. Just don't shoot an animal over a pile of Corn and call it a trophy.....I don't get that.

Robert

Bruzer, If you're gonna try to come across as an expert on baiting, maybe you should know the law. Alabama law does not say anything about bait "on the property". We have one tract that's 3200 acres. You're saying one feeder would shut down 3200 acres. That's insane. I can promise you are wrong on that statement. A good friend of mine is a conservation officer in one of the counties I hunt. He told me face to face, eye to eye, that as long as the feeder was out of sight, the state had no problem with it. I've bow hunted this year 300 yards from where another member of our lease was hunting on a feeder (he, by the way, got a ticket). Feeders are not illegal. Hunting directly over a feeder is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmj
Bruzer, I plant food plots (about 40 acres total) and I use corn feeders, so what does that make me a hunter or a shooter? Often times I don't hunt on either but hunt draws and passage areas, so what does that make me?

Bill

Bill,

If someone is hunting around a Corn feeder then they are a baiter in my opinion. In Georgia the definition is a limit of 200 yards and out of sight. In Alabama it is defined as bait anywhere on the property.

You know how you hunt....I don't. I'll leave that determination up to you. I'm not trying to judge anyone who is taking game legally....My issue is with the terminology.

I have just been issued a Hog Permit for one of my farms. This permit allows me to bait the Hogs,Hunt at night, From a vehicle and use a 12 volt light. The farmer needs Hogs removed so that his peanuts and Corn have a chance to survive. I will not claim to have hunted these Hogs......I am strictly population control. I will eat the meat but you won't see one going on my wall....The bait just makes it too easy....In my opinion.

Of course the "Bow Only" hunters will say rifles make it too easy and then the "Traditional Archery" hunters will say that "Machine Bows" make it too easy....and so on and so on.

To each their own....Whatever makes everyone happy as long as it's legal. Just don't shoot an animal over a pile of Corn and call it a trophy.....I don't get that.

Robert

Bruzer, If you're gonna try to come across as an expert on baiting, maybe you should know the law. Alabama law does not say anything about bait "on the property". We have one tract that's 3200 acres. You're saying one feeder would shut down 3200 acres. That's insane. I can promise you are wrong on that statement. A good friend of mine is a conservation officer in one of the counties I hunt. He told me face to face, eye to eye, that as long as the feeder was out of sight, the state had no problem with it. I've bow hunted this year 300 yards from where another member of our lease was hunting on a feeder (he, by the way, got a ticket). Feeders are not illegal. Hunting directly over a feeder is.

JMJ,

First of all......I never claimed to be an expert on Baiting.....I haven't hunted where it was legal. I can however read and ask the local Game Warden questions.

Your Game Warden and mine need to get together....The law in Alabama states........

It is ILLEGAL to:

1. Hunt any area where baiting/feeding has occurred until 10 days after all bait/feed has been removed or consumed.
2. Hunt any game animal or bird with a gun or bow and arrow except during daylight hours, with the exception of raccoon and opossum which may be hunted at night as prescribed by law.
3. Shoot or hunt a turkey from a treestand with a firearm. All other legal game animals and birds may be taken with a bow and arrow or firearm from a treestand.
4. Take a deer, whether dead or alive, from the waters of this State.
5. Use live decoys except when hunting unprotected birds or animals.
6. Use electronic bird calls except for crow calls. Electronic calls may be used to call predators during daylight hours only during open hunting season for that species.
7. Hunt by the aid of fire or smoke, whether man-made or natural.
8. Hunt resident birds or animals on any floodwaters or backwaters, or islands less than 40 acres created by such.
9. Hunt or discharge a firearm from, upon or across any public road or railroad, or the rights of way of any public road or railroad. You may not hunt or discharge a firearm within 50 yards of the right-of-way of any public road, highway, or railroad with a centerfire rifle, a shotgun using slugs or shot larger than number four (4) shot or a muzzle loading rifle .40 or larger.
10. Willfully throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight or artificial light from any motor vehicle while the vehicle is on any highway or public road and casting said light on any real property, between the hours of sunset and sunrise.

The Game Warden in Cleburne County considers "Area" to mean the property you are hunting on as stated to me in no uncertain terms. His direct quote was "If I find Corn I will write citations".

I am not going to debate the legality as "Baiting" is clearly illegal based on the printed law and unlike Georgia there is no definition of distance or line of sight.....Bait at your own risk...We aren't.

Also, were you aware of the poacher baiting on your club?

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 02/03/09.

Bruz

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The key word is AREA. Just say Joe Blow has property joining my property. He puts a corn feeder 2 feet from my property line, without me knowing. You're telling me that the Game Warden is not going to allow me to hunt my property that I bought and paid for???????
They can not do that. Whomever you're talking to is either a hard &@S or a dumba$@.
Let him take that case to court agaist one of these big land owners that have the Governor and everyone else bought off.
I respect the job that Conservation Officers do, as I stated, I have a good friend that is a Game Warden. If I were breaking the law, he wouldn't hesitate to give me a ticket. He does, however, use good judgement. What your man is saying is off base. You cannot shut down 3000 acres because somebody that lives on the property has a corn feeder in their back yard. Can't do it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmj
The key word is AREA. Just say Joe Blow has property joining my property. He puts a corn feeder 2 feet from my property line, without me knowing. You're telling me that the Game Warden is not going to allow me to hunt my property that I bought and paid for???????
They can not do that. Whomever you're talking to is either a hard &@S or a dumba$@.
Let him take that case to court agaist one of these big land owners that have the Governor and everyone else bought off.
I respect the job that Conservation Officers do, as I stated, I have a good friend that is a Game Warden. If I were breaking the law, he wouldn't hesitate to give me a ticket. He does, however, use good judgement. What your man is saying is off base. You cannot shut down 3000 acres because somebody that lives on the property has a corn feeder in their back yard. Can't do it.

JMJ,

I'm just stating what I was told by the man with the ticket book.....I also called Montgomery the first year we leased the property and asked for a definition of "Area" and they stated that it was left up to the officer's judgment.....So bottom line...Even if we wanted to run feeders we wouldn't....And we don't because it's just too expensive with the price of Corn and Gas these days.

I've got to go buy 400lbs of Corn this week to stock the Hog Feeders on my Georgia Club and I am dreading it.

Robert

Bruz

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Robert: I understand what you're saying. I guess it's a judgement call by the officer. It's a problem, definately. I guess my beef with the Conservation Department is this: They claim to be agaist baiting because (they claim) it spreads sickness (I can't spell disease). Anyway, if they do think it spreads sickness and is a problem, then feeders should be outlawed completely. Personally, I think the Moultrie folks are pushing it to be lawfull to hunt over corn, and some of the old guard in the Conservation Dept won't go for it. Again, to each his own, I'm not going to bust a guy's chops for paying alot of money to lease property and hunting over a feeder. I know lots of guys who do it. One guy does it all year, and hardly ever shoots a deer. He just likes to know when he goes out, he will see deer. Abuse can be found anywhere. Good luck on your lease

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JMJ,

Thanks and same to you....Good Luck this year.

Robert

Bruz

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After reading this thread I guess we are all now "master-baiters"
smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dale,

I just got off the phone with Chris Agee at Pennington Seed. These are the numbers I was given.

So if the deer ate the food plots only we could support between 4-5 deer per acre per year.

The initial Cost for each 1 acre plot is roughly $500. Each year after the cost to fertilize and cut is $150.00

This breaks down to $100 per deer the first year.......$30 per deer the following years.

The area we are in has a deer concentration of 40 deer per square mile and we have roughly 2 square miles.

We have 7 acres of food plots so we can feed 35 Deer per year for a total of about $1,000.

Corn is 90% Dry Matter. So it would take 3.3lbs of Corn per deer per day or 1200 lbs per year.

Corn costs around $11.00 per 50lb bag here so that equates to $264 per deer per year.

To feed the same 35 Deer would cost $9,240 with Corn at a much lower protein level.

Of course deer are browsers so this would never happen but I just wanted to show how much less expensive a quality food plot costs versus the same amount of Corn.

Robert

Your numbers look reasonable and comparable now, maybe a bit skewed towards the food plot. That's what got me started earlier, your 20,000 lb figure without a DM conversion wasn't an apples to apples comparison.

I do have a couple of additional comments/questions.

How long does a clover food plot last? Up here, about 3 years is all we can get from a red clover field, then the clover is gone. If you want more, you have to reseed.

You may already know this, but lime is very important. Clover does better with a pH above 6.0, alfalfa needs 6.5+ for the best growth. The breakdown of fertilizer causes the soil to become acid.

The protein content isn't 25% year round, once the clover matures, protein levels drop to about 12%. The only way to keep it high is to mow it on a regular basis and prevent it from blooming. I doubt you get much growth in winter, I know our alfalfa is dormant from Dec. to April.

If I was buying a large amount of corn, I sure wouldn't buy it by the 50# bag. 35 deer times 1200 lbs, divided by 56 lb/bushel=
750 bu. Current avg. market price as reported by Pa. Dept of Ag is $4.18 per bu for a total yearly cost of $3135. Considerably better than your $9000+ figure.

Of course, 750 bu is about a tractor trailer load, you better have a good sized bin. grin

Anyhow, to answer your last question

"What reason would anyone have for using Corn?"

I would use corn to lure the deer off the posted property next door and onto the property I have permission to hunt. There is no need to feed year round as the deer have plenty of feed, it is a matter of getting them in a particular spot at a particular time so they can be shot. Which is exactly the reason the Pa. Game Commission recently legalized baiting in certain parts of the state.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dale K
Dale,

Robert

Your numbers look reasonable and comparable now, maybe a bit skewed towards the food plot. That's what got me started earlier, your 20,000 lb figure without a DM conversion wasn't an apples to apples comparison.

I do have a couple of additional comments/questions.

How long does a clover food plot last? Up here, about 3 years is all we can get from a red clover field, then the clover is gone. If you want more, you have to reseed.

You may already know this, but lime is very important. Clover does better with a pH above 6.0, alfalfa needs 6.5+ for the best growth. The breakdown of fertilizer causes the soil to become acid.

The protein content isn't 25% year round, once the clover matures, protein levels drop to about 12%. The only way to keep it high is to mow it on a regular basis and prevent it from blooming. I doubt you get much growth in winter, I know our alfalfa is dormant from Dec. to April.

If I was buying a large amount of corn, I sure wouldn't buy it by the 50# bag. 35 deer times 1200 lbs, divided by 56 lb/bushel=
750 bu. Current avg. market price as reported by Pa. Dept of Ag is $4.18 per bu for a total yearly cost of $3135. Considerably better than your $9000+ figure.

Of course, 750 bu is about a tractor trailer load, you better have a good sized bin. grin

Anyhow, to answer your last question

"What reason would anyone have for using Corn?"

I would use corn to lure the deer off the posted property next door and onto the property I have permission to hunt. There is no need to feed year round as the deer have plenty of feed, it is a matter of getting them in a particular spot at a particular time so they can be shot. Which is exactly the reason the Pa. Game Commission recently legalized baiting in certain parts of the state.

Dale

Dale,

Duranna and Patriot Clovers are new "Super" strains of clover developed with the assistance of the University of Georgia and Pennington Seed....There are test pastures that are in their 8th year and the clover has been found to be almost self sustaining.During development the Duranna was the first clover shown to have the ability to overtake fescue and bermuda when overseeded in pastures. My club plots are in their 3rd year at this point and show no signs of diminishing.

Here is a link to a very good article on the Duranna.

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resou...ole-Truth-About-Durana-White-Clover.aspx

The lime is not an issue as the Nitrogen in the fertilizer causes the acidity rise in soil and we use fertilizer without nitrogen such as 0-19-19 or even 0-0-46 as the Clover produces it's own Nitrogen. Duranna and Patriot prefer a PH of 5.5-6.5 and that is fairly easy to maintain once achieved. The issue of course with using loading decks was that the initial PH was very acidic and required bulk lime deliveries in order to bring it into range.

The plan was to manage the clover by cutting and fertilizing twice per year in the Spring and early Fall. The deer and turkey have however kept the clover at around 3" in height in all of the plots which with Duranna promotes even more horizontal growth so the last 2 season we have simply fertilized.

Robert

Bruz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I just filled my feeders with antler max and corn. Rifle season closed 2 weeks ago, Do ya'll still consider this baiting smile

loder

If you don't bait pretty much year round it isn't very effective at concentrating deer. The idea is to get them patterned to visit an area.....just like a feed plot, or an agricultural field, or an oak grove dumping mast.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Same as so many of the others, hold the doe and the bucks will be around.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have read this thread from the beginning was not going to comment but cant put it off any longer. After seeing what some people have to do to harvest an animal it sure as hell makes me glad i live where I do. No, we do not have baiting here and we dont want it. Then again we dont hunt our back yards. If I was stuck for somewhere to go so be it ,shoot the next deer you see from your back deck .that is not hunting that is population control. Hunting is your own camp with 100 miles between you and the next camp NUFF SAID!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bearslayer, I am glad that you live where you do and not near me because you are an arrogant azz. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 204guy, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,246
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.