-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That may be, but laser engraved stocks, cheesy "engraving", camo, blah, blah is more in line with what I was thinking of.

I wish Remington continued success however unappealing many of their products may be to me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm gonna get me one of these badboys and flatout hone chit!

[Linked Image]

Daytona in 25 days!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just go tikka

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
i own the new remington rt-15 custom which has the 24 in stainless triangular barrel and custom gas block... have
not shot it yet..waiting on getting scope and ammo for it

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Several factors have kept my buddy from getting going with his VTR in 308, but a couple of weeks ago I bought one for myself. It's looking to be a real shooter and I haven't even fine tuned any loads to it, I've just shot some standards any good 308 ought to like.

Here's an example. I have a bunch of Lake City Match M852 ammunition that came from one lot number, and I've been sorting it for runout. After sorting I take the good ones and run them through one of my seating dies to make the lengths more uniform and to pop the neck sealant.

Yesterday I was shooting a batch that had been marked as having 0.004" runout measured on the bullet ogive a tenth of an inch forward of the case mouth. So they were pretty good but not the best. With this ammo it was easy to shoot 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards. Toward the end of the day I had ten (yes, ten) rounds remaining that I fired into one 0.88" group.

In this same brass I'm going to duplicate the military match load using all my minimal sizing and concentricity tricks. I'd like to see if I can get ten into 3/4" or less.

mathman

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seriously considered one of them in .223, because the twist was right and the cost was right... but one thing that threw me, is that my goal with the .223 is to shoot out the factory tube and re-barrel with a .223AI (probably) in the proper twist for really heavy bullets... and the stock on those VTR's looked to me like it would end up being a tosser if you went with a regular round barrel.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, that's a consideration. I picked mine up as a fun range plinking rifle to "run-in" new brass and keep the round count down for my hunting 308. With hearing protection the muzzle break isn't a bother. It seems to make less of a ruckus than an unbraked 300 mag as heard through the ear plugs. A little less pressure and 30 or 40 grains less powder go a long way in that regard. Besides I had already decided that if it was obnoxious I'd have it bobbed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i held one of the triangle models this past saturday. i didn't see anything i liked about the barrel or the stock. just my opinion but i think it will go the way of the electronic ignition in a couple years.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you sharpened the top edge, you'd have a last-ditch weapon if your gun jammed.

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm telling you guys, star shaped. that's where it's at.

Something clever here.

IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Northern Dave:

I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
true.

well maybe we could go with something like a 6 point star, or a square???

Or maybe something really out there like.... a triangle!!!

oop, my bad.

Something clever here.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let's see, my choices are: Cowboy fan; or I'm a square; or I shoot a box-stock Remmy. I'll take the Star of David, please.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
How about a "scientific" test?
Duplicate the Rem barrel, and then machine another barrel of the same length with the same contour (ie dia. at muzzle and dia at receiver end) then do a stress / bend test on each under closely controlled and supervised conditions.
The triangular barrel will show superiority if I am correct. If not, I will gladly eat my words.

Wheen the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Well, a friend of mine bought one in 308. I have to say that I am a "classic" style, wood, blue, kinda guy..But I have to admit that it looked "cool" in its own way. To me, it "felt" like a shooter..very solid, a little heft, and slightly muzzle heavy..I handed it back to him and said, "I bet it shoots"..He liked that! I might just break the mold and get one myself!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Hey if a triangle works wonders, wouldn't a star of David be twice as good?......As an added benefit we might get more Jewish folks involved in hunting.

Last edited by olhippie; 03/08/09.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As usual, I read an article a while back about fluted vs non-fluted as regards to stiffness. The correspondent used a rifle with a nonfluted barrel, installed it in a fixture not touching the barrel and hung a weight on the end of the barrel and measured the bend or deflection in the barrel. He then had the barrel fluted the same as a production, or normally produced fluted barrel and reinstalled it in the same rifle. He hung the same weight on the end of the barrel and it had MORE deflection than when in the unfluted state. This proves that fluted barrels of the same outside diameter as nonfluted are not as stiff as nonfluted.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I've said earlier on a similar thread,You don't increase stiffness by removing metal, cooling yes, stiffness no. However a barrel of like MASS, in like steel, can be more resistant to deflection using profiles other than round.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Vek
Originally Posted by mathman
The stiffness of a barrel is a result of the "quantity" of steel used, not the finished shape.

Not true. For a given amount of steel the moment of inertia of the cross section, which changes with shape, influences the resistance to bending.

Note that I am not saying removing material from an already made barrel will make it stiffer.

Furthermore, the elastic modulus for plain carbon steel is about the same as that of any barrel alloy. No appreciable "stiffness" difference between a given contour in CM versus stainless.

This only true up until the yield point is reached, then the stronger barrel will be stiffer- not applicable here but as a blanket statement- not quite true.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think some people confuse fluting with corrugation. Culverts are corrugated (spiral grooves at right angles along its length)this makes them stiffer and stronger. Of course they are made of thinner material to start with.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (257man, 260Remguy, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,690
Posts18,534,494
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.