Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I believe thats going to be my next dog. I just love them. I'd sure like to see yours if you have pics.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Our Deputy Director had one that was so high-strung his wife made him put it in a kennel whenever he traveled, she couldn't stand the dog because it chewed hell out of the house whenever the DD was gone. Another friend has one that's a fine hunting dog and relatively calm, but you may or may not like one if you've been used to Labs. Select carefully. I tried a Visla when my first Lab went to the happy hunting ground, and after it chewed through a door due to separation anxiety or boredom, then bit an old hunting companion who was trying to put it into the kennel, I took it on a one-way ride. Not the fault of the breed, just my having selected one from the wrong breeder.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I've heard pretty good things about them, most pointers I've been around are very high strung but these supposed to be a bit more calm. I did hunt over two once and they were fantastic. I plan on putting an awefull lot of time into the next dog. Hope to get a real gem, but who knows. I'm taking my time. I don't plan on taking the leap for a year or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting partner has three (just got a pup). We've hunted pheasants, quail and ducks over his, nice dogs.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Will a GWP do?

Last edited by vapodog; 07/12/09.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ones I've known have been a bit rough on cats. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yote,

I have a 6 year old female Griff and she is the finest dog I have ever owned. Gentle with a soft mouth. My biggest mistake was turning her over to a trainer with no Griffon experience. Once I figured out she knew more than I, she has been amazing on every type of bird hunting. Couldn't think of a better breed for hunting here in Montana.

F
F
I own one, and a friend of mine has two. After I bought one I met a group of chukar hunters, 6 or 7, that all owned at least one WHPG. I cannot say enough positive things about the breed. Mine is as loving as any lab I've ever met, and can swim almost just as fast! They are very affectionate and loyal, we nick named ours "velcro dog" because he sticks my your side. They are extremely smart, his mom could open round door knobs and he has learned to knock on the door instead of scratching to be let in. They don't shed, rarely bark, and don't have the healh problems other hunting breeds have. They are very playful but very gentle with children and small dogs. Mine even tries to play with cats.

The cons are they do hunt close (not really a con), are sensitive (you can you can't train them as aggressivly as a lab, bu its ot needed either), they tend to have snsitive stomachs (wrong food + horrable farts), and are indoor only dogs (don't do well in kennels).

I can sum mine up in a short story. Iwas remodeling my house and Farley, who was 1 at the time, was hanging out in the room with me. Every time I turned around to grab a tool I would accidentaly step on him. Afer the fourth time I fnally put him in the back yard. About 5 min later I turned around and stepped on him again. How the heck did he get in? I retraced his path and he pushed on the fence gate until the latch popped, walked into the front yard, into the open garage, and pushed on the garage or until it popped open. He let mself into the house and came back into the room and laid down again. He has done that 3 times, when the garage is not open he sits at the front door andknocks until you let him in. Tell me what other breed would do that and not high tail it down the street? Get oe, you wil not be disapointed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always had labs. 2 years ago I bought a Griff and found the hunting perfect dog. Pointer, retriever and water dog. She went to KS, ND, GA and Iowa her first year. Pheasant are tough on a young dog, they run to much, but not a finer bird to train any dog on that Hungarian Partridge. We found a lot of huns, grouse and pheasant the last two years on a DIY hunt in ND. The little girl did a fine job, besting the setters, English pointer and GWP. THe difference in the Griffs is they will stick their nose in places most dogs wont look in. They tend to find birds where other dogs just dont.

They hunt close, have a soft mouth, are easy to train and are almost compulsive in their hunting. Methodical and thorough. Oh, and they don't like cats or any other vermin.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Thanks guys! Your all reenforcing all the good things I've heard. I appreciate it. I think I'll wait till next summer / fall. I'm sure excited though. I hunted over two one time about 10 years ago and knew that a Griff would be my next pooch.

Thanks again.

FWIW, I don't care about the neighborhood cats, so if my Griff cats 1 or 2 it's fine by me.

Last edited by Yotechaser; 07/14/09.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.sprucecreekgriffons.com/

This is where we got our Ozzie from a year ago. I've owned Britts and labs and while I liked both, I am sold on Griffs. They love to please and like the other posts mention, crave being everywhere you are. In my opinion, they would be really bad kennel dogs. If you or your family can spend a lot of time with one, I think you will be very pleased.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Two years ago, my Griff and I were invited on a week long January pheasant hunt in North Dakota. This was her first experience so I was aprehensive on her abilities. As HuntKY mentioned, she found the birds where no other dog even lingered - I and all participants were amazed (this would include Labs, Pointers, Airedale and others). At first, I doubted her points, but after kicking around the frozen tuft of grass, out would fly a pheasant. I believe she is still slightly mad that I missed (the shock was too much). Truly an amazing creature...you will not be disappointed.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My nephew has one. It's a dandy dog and does a fine job for 1 1/2 years old. He will hunt close. The more he hunts, the better he gets...no surprise there.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
MWC Offline
M
A lab owner but always wanted a pointer. However, I didn't like the hyper behavior most pointers have. Heard griffs were mellow so got one two years ago. She's a wonderful dog. I've always believed in having two dogs. The older dog can help teach the younger and when your gone they keep each other company. My griff was raised with 2 labs so maybe some of the lab traits rubbed off. I can say this about Daisy...took her to the Dakota's at 5 months with no formal training other than gun noise introduction and letting her chase some wing clipped chukars. She pointed pheasants right off the bat. And what a steamer. The breed can really cover ground. I love my labs but this dog can do it all...point, retrieve, and water retrieve. Like the other posts...do not kennel this breed, they need room to run, they need lots of human contact. They want to be with you always and if you have the time you can teach them anything. Smartest dog I've ever owned. Loving, great with the family and affectionate. Mine is getting out of her "puppy stage" and will relax on her dog bed like my labs. But, turn her loose hunting and its nose to the ground and go all day. A good choice for upland game but needs company. Don't leave it alone. If you have to leave it alone while you work get two dogs or take it with you.

Last edited by MWC; 07/15/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dont own one yet but have deposits on a couple from bone point kennels. have raised and hunted GSP and EP for 30 years, always have 3-10 dogs around, moved to ne montana, EP says man is it cold compared to idaho and swimming in the ice, forget it, cant wait for the pups, not much hunting this year with them but watch out next year.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Spinonie Italiano, Very similar breed. She is not only a wonderful dog in the field but is just as good around the house. She is three years old now and finally quit chewing things about a year ago. I've always had labs in the past and love them but I am madly in love with my Spinonie and cannot ask for a better companion in the field and at home. This dog does it all and reads my mind. I wish she would start training my wife!

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're thinking heavily about a Griff as well, pretty sure it'll be the way we go.

Fishnut, any chance you could post a pic of your Spinonie? I really like those hounds as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'am the guy that has three griffs love them they can and will do it all but you need to run them as often as you can. As with any dog it all comes down to a good breeder if you want the name of a few just let me know one of the breeders I know may have a starter pup now. Does anyone know the bird count around Winett Mont ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Our griff on his first blue grouse hunt this year. We love this little guy.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Great picture where did you get you dog from ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 35, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,457
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.