Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 67 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 66 67
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I can't say that I agree with you about this. I look at the Campfire as two separate sites, there's the Campfire and there's the rest of the site. Most of what you're talking about takes place only in the Campfire, not on the rest of the site. The Campfire is the politics/BS/opinion section, and the rest of the site is more information based. If you want to play at the Campfire, be prepared for a dust up now and then.

The same person that gives you an a'hole response on the Campfire can also give you a very nice informative post in response to your hunting/gun question. I haven't seen anyone get flamed out for asking beginner questions about hunting/guns/etc. I can say that I've learned a lot from the people on this site....not sure about the Campfire section, but its been good for a laugh now and then too. I've also bought and sold stuff without a single problem.

Some people just have the innate ability to see things as they really are..............

Nice post TomSmith............I think you literally "hit the nail on the head"!!

With that kind of logic, I sure wish you'd post here more often.

Just saying.......

PS
Lost for words just seeing that POS Jeff_O (short for Obama) still posting on this forum, nevermind the fact that he/she has the audacity to criticize other Campfire members!!

A perfect example of Steelhead's "overrated immortality"........I'd say!!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got to say I agree. It's not that I think Jeff Osama should be banned or anything, it's just that I don't understand why he doesn't just move on to some Dem Underground type site or something. He/she doesn't fit here at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
What's RIFF"d?

As Issac said, Reduction in force discharges. Kinda like getting layed off after ALMOST making it to company retirement and getting screwed out of your pension. That is what happens to the ones that don't produce/perform good enough.

Not always. My father's first son by his second wife was RIF'd as a butter bar LT. They didn't even want him enough to automatically give him 1st. He joined the National Guard and finally made it up to LTC. That tells you a lot about the Guard in Alabama.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah yes, A man's got to know his limitations ( I think that might have be Josey Whales).

Right actor, wrong movie. It was in 'Magnum Force' when Callahan was speaking to Lt. Briggs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I try to be helpful on the Hunting/Rifle/shooting forums if it is a subject I have some knowledge of.

I come to the campfire forum for debate and humor. I learned to post questions you want serious answers to in those forums.

The way I learned it, this forum is for humor at each others expense or debate about current events. A thick skin is helpful here. Once you get to know everyone, you know how they respond and understand that is just there way or their point of view on the matter.

I give Ringwormm and Tod hell, they give it back, but I don't dislike them. It's fun to debate them and others.

I tend to answer questions here differently than I do on the other forums. I try to distinguish nonsense from a real question.

I have to go now and finish eating the earth..

JM.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rob p
I could walk through life like a bulldozer if I chose to, but I work very hard to be civil. It can be done if you so choose.

Well stated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a bunch of RIFs when I worked for the government. None of 'em applied only to an individual. All were just what the term says � reductions in force � reductions by dozens or hundreds, even thousands of government employees.

Competence had nothing to do with 'em. The operative rule was "last hired, first fired," regardless of competence.

I saw the same thing happen in industry � in giant corporations like Westinghouse, for example. Westinghouse kept a lot of us on for weeks, waiting for the sure-thing award of the prime contract for the Mark 48 torpedo, with nothing for us to do. I got a better job, and a couple of weeks later, Westinghouse RIFed fifty-seven employees. No competence question or problem. And a few weeks after that, Westinghouse sho' nuff got the prime contract for the Mark 48 and had to launch a new hiring program.

One big corporation was notorious for its habit of firing crowds of employees when the wait for the award of a contract was overly long � when the certainty that they'd soon get it would mean that they'd be rehiring just a few weeks later and would rehire the same people whom they'd just let go.

I worked with several victims of that corporation's RIFs who'd gotten new and better jobs almost immediately � pretty hard to disparage their competence.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen people RIF'd and I've RIF'd people myself. It is best if you can design the RIF policy to do away with those who are the least productive employees, but that is not always possible. The employees usually have a say in RIF policies, either directly or indirectly (if they are supposedly not negotiable). Many times you will have aggressive, self-interested individuals negotiating for the employees and they will try to get a RIF policy which is extremely forgiving towards themselves and all the others can get effed. They will get it shoehorned into a negotiated agreement by downplaying it and emphasizing the pay raise. Most employees don't pay attention to the RIF policy until it is too late. IME, most RIF's get rid of the wrong people, people who should be kept on.

I can't say whether this is true in Blaine's case or not...lol

Sorry for hijacking the thread hijack thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a time that I thought every military failure was promotedd to Major or Lt. Commander and then parked somewhere out of the way. Lately I'm not so sure about that.
I think I could get along with Blaine just fine and I highly respect him for his his service to the country..
From what I've read he is a pretty savvy guy too.
What worries me is I think I could like Bart as well.
Maybe I need a Doctor. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't met Blaine yet, but I admire and respect him immensely.

I've met Bart and can testify happily that he's one likeable guy.

And I'm a "Doctor!" (A "Doctor and a half," actually)

But I'm not worried.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks "Doc"
I'm feeling much better now. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Doctor and a half!

I'd like to meet you Mr. Howell. Do you have 2 heads or just one enormous one?

Is it hard to balance all that weight? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would hate to be in need of a Doctor and meet the half-assed one...TFF..I spit coffee again!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on the point of one and two word answers to serious questions.....you must not interact with ppl much....most any place ive worked its pretty standard to get a couple wise arse answers before yah get the one yah really want.....and generally its one of the guys that made a smart arse comment that eventually gives yah the best help.....its a give and take and normal course of a conversation round here in real life.....thick skin gets yah a long way and as Bristol points out its just the innanet and if someone really bugs the hell out of you consistently there is an ignore this user button.....this chit aint rocket science....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rattler
on the point of one and two word answers to serious questions..........this chit aint rocket science....

I thought the quote was " rocket surgery.." laugh

wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to say that I agree with the original post... and its implications. Flame on.

With some it is not a bad day or a loss of patience or anything else. It is a rule. The norm. The way business is done. I have, truth be told, modified my internet behavior as the years roll by. I was never one to seek out a fight nor to set myself up as an expert. But what I have changed is that I avoid those who do. I just don't want to be bothered.

There is a relatively straightforward test I put to those I converse with on the internet: Would I trust this person to be respectful and helpful to my mother or father if they happened upon this place.

Both are in their retirement years, neither has any experience with the internet at all, and both are as country and hillbilly as their eldest son. In short they are the salt of the earth but are the exact type that some on this forum exalt in insulting, belittling, and making fun of.

If a person fails this test I may still talk with them or post on one of their threads, and I try to respectful and friendly. But I would never consider taking them on a hunt or inviting them to my camp. They aren't welcome. Nor would I accept an offer to share a campfire with them. And I doubt that they would miss me at all. :p

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by rattler
on the point of one and two word answers to serious questions..........this chit aint rocket science....

I thought the quote was " rocket surgery.." laugh

wink
Ingwe

smart arse......your just mean......... grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I once hunted in a club with a guy that said he was told by a Doctor That he was 1 1/2 times the size of an ordinary man.

He stopped up the toilet at the camp once and made a believer out of me.

It looked like a Giraffe and a Hippo had followed each other in there...

After we made he and his buddy disassemble the septic system and fix it, I banned the 1 and 1/2 man from every using the toilet again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Doctor and a half" (a jocular reference) explained �

The study program that led to my ThD degree was so much fun that I went for a PhD in the same field. But the school went bankrupt when I was about half-way through.

Is it satisfying to ridicule something that you know nothing about and make no effort to know anything about?

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 6 of 67 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,233
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.