Hop To
Page 10 of 75 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 74 75
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It is west of Laramie

Map of Saratoga Area

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont have anything against Saratoga, but I will be wanting to bring my own bunkhouse. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah Saratoga sounds like a lot better deal to me too.

Nearby last 4th of July . . .

[Linked Image]

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saratoga looks like it's 150 or so miles closer to me, nice it's not far off Interstate 80.

edit to add, count me as a maybe, due to job schedules

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 12/12/09.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
I dont have anything against Saratoga, but I will be wanting to bring my own bunkhouse. grin

I will be also....my redneck camper! Where ever we end up.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with this, but you could also get on Medicine Bow National Forrest about 20 miles west of Glendo and shoot to your hearts content -- of Course We'd have to set up our own range to do it. Another idea would be just to set up the camp over here on Horseshoe creek and stay away from the lake altogether -- that's what I do and I live here.

KC, I've been away from the computer a while, and to try to answer some of your questions, I agree with wyoelk about the shooting around either of these lakes -- just around the lakes, there are options away from the lakes that are doable though.

As far as camping goes, there are RV hookups and all of that stuff at Guernsey and Glendo. Those places look like mobile home parks on the way in to either place -- you park right between two other trailers and call it camping-- if you want to go on into the lake and not stay in the trailer court there are a lot better places along the shores, but now you need to be self-contained and run on a generator if you want to be plugged in.

Like I said above, I usually avoid these places anymore, so much has changed in the last 20 years -- it's part of Colorado as far as I am concerned. Those of us in this part of Wyoming, for the most part, have a lot better options.

I am not sure entirely how the camping areas at the lakes work anymore either -- I think you get a numbered place at the ticket windows and can request to go to a certain area if available. I think you can also, at the time tell them that you and the three vehicles behind you all want to be adjacent, or something like that -- I really don't know if we could get ten or twenty spots all in a row like we would need.

Back to Horseshoe where we could shoot all that we wanted -- the roads are gravel for the last 20 or more miles to get here, but not that bad -- we could all park wherever and however we chose, shoot our guns, have our fires, let our dogs run around, not be told to turn down the stereo, or whatever.

But for this you don't get picknick tables, fire rings, or outhouses, let alone plugins or sewer hookups -- these are the kind of places you can find me most of the summer weekends (Well probably not right here at Horseshoe creek, as it is overfished in this public area, unless you want to hike a little farther than 90% of everybody else did -- now you're getting close to where I might be, but on a different creek wink ) Still fishing shouldn't be a complete strike out here either, just not something to boast about.

I know we can't have directions to this get together, end with, " . . .then you get out of your truck and walk the last ten miles", though either! laugh

Another option nearby would be Greyrocks Res. 10 or so miles South of Guernsey -- This is a hot walleye lake for boaters and most of Colorado hasn't found it yet (Don't go telling them either wink ) I know a great place to shoot within ten minutes of this lake, but again we'd still have to set up our own -- camping is back to self contained here so bring your tables and stuff, but you still park where and how you like.

I am in favor of the Saratoga idea myself too now though -- Cody is cool, but as you can see, I try to stay away from the tourists as much as I can, and I promise you all that that can not be done around Cody, or Jackson Hole, in the summer very well. There are more things to do in these touristy areas though, that's why the tourists are there too. wink

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There's a reason I don't go to the lake, and I live right here.....

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyoguide
There's a reason I don't go to the lake, and I live right here.....

At least not on a weekend! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I go I'll be tenting if a site is available or sleeping in my truck otherwise.
I have a spare 12X14 wall tent if anybody needs a loaner.
I could leave early on Thursday, stop and cut some fire wood on the way and show up Thursday night or Firday
Is there room for a 14 ft flat deck trailer to be parked at these places??

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tracks I am sure there are. And that is mighty kind of you!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jack Creek and the Sierra Madres are a great place. If you guys choose this you need to plan it about mid June, too much snow before that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Ok this is our opinion and our opinion only, so take it just for that. We originally started this thread to put together a meeting of Campfire members within driving distance for perhaps a lunch or BBQ. Due too the interest it grew into a weekend get together which we think is absolutely wonderful.

However, we never intended this to be more than a get together. There is no way we are going to be able to include and accomodate everyones desires, especially in a weekend. We were looking at a relaxing time where we could visit, get to know each other and perhaps fish or shoot if facilites allow.

elkhunter76 & gotlost

the issue is, i aint doing a 6-10 hour drive just for lunch grin as for the shooting and fishing stuff, might care if it was a week long thing but for a weekend thing ill be happy to sit around, drink a few beers and swap lies.....get a date and place locked down and ill see if i can make it, as i said so long as its north of the CO/WY border im in if the dates work....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My thoughts exactly rattler....swing by and pick me up, or I'll meet you in Billings!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
could prolly do that quite easily.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cool more than a lunch but less than a week. How does a shrimp boil (shrimp, sausage, potatos, corn, whatever else we can throw in ...wyoelk and gotlost came up with this great idea) for one night sound and we'll figure out something for the next one?

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
My thoughts exactly rattler....swing by and pick me up, or I'll meet you in Billings!

Ingwe

Ya mean I don't have ta come pick ya up? Phew!!! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
works for me....just gotta have some place we can crash for a night without harassment.....be it a motel room, in a tent, in the back of our truck or someones floor and we are happy....either a Friday night-Sun Morning thing or a show up Sat leave Sun...either works for me and dont need anything to distract my short attention span for that long other than good company, good food and good drink......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1...Exactamundo.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Who would harrass a sleeping person? That might get someone clubbed at the very least! Where ever it happens I will be htere Friday afternoon.

If we choose Saratoga there is the campground and the crew quarters that accomodate 14 people IIRC. That is $180 per night and a good deal if we want showers etc. Split amongst us would it be nominal. I will have my own sleeping quarters. I have a large 30000 btu campstove and a turkey cooker w/burner to do a shrimp boil on. In the event that we rent the cabin we have to clean it before we leave. But a shower would be a big plus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
meant so long as i wasnt required to find some back road to park on to crash, though it aint like ive never done that grin

something along those lines sounds ideal, have done similar things for get togethers around here, rent a shelter-house with stove and restrooms and showers and everyone parks their campers around or grabs a chunk of ground for a tent for the weekend.....goes over real well....allows someplace inside to sit around and BS if the weather turns to chit....

Last edited by rattler; 12/12/09.

Page 10 of 75 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 74 75

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.