-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a carpenter friend who wanted to go with the Catholic missions to Haiti to work for the poor. They selected another person for the trip. When they got off the plane, they were beheaded! My same friend went to Florida after Hugo to help rebuild and on his first day, he scratched his knee. He got an infection that almost killed him. He said the hospital in Florida was so bad he was begging to be flown back to Rhode Island. They wouldn't let him get on a plane.

We're Catholic, and when they pass the plate at church for the missions in Haiti, we'll contribute. When Father Evans from church, who works with the missions comes and says a mass for Haiti, we'll contribute. I've got old people begging me for firewood, and I've got 2 churches asking for venison. I killed 4 deer this year, butchered and donated them all. They want more. I froze my butt off yesterday, and at this point, I'm about ready to repackage a couple cases of bottom round from Sam's club.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got word yesterday that I will be heading to DR sometime next week for the army. I'm joining a medical unit from California that had already planned to go before the earthquake. I'm not sure what we'll be doing or where we will be, but I'm sure it won't be a pleasant trip.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
B
B
Screw Haiti, why is it up to the US to go save them? If someone wants to send them money that is all well and good, but I resent the hell out of the government deciding to send my tax money over there ehrn I can't even get services here for our own. Soon another wave of the poor Haitian refugees Will be arriving here in Fl and be met on the dock, given welfare,free housing, food stamps and free medical all paid for with my tax dollars. Boo hoo the poor Haitians every one feel sorry for them, but how many have them standing on street corners selling drugs and robbing people in their neighborhood like I do and all the while having their bills paid with my tax dollars. Screw them all, maybe God was just thinning the herd over there.

Not to mention the aid we send them will mostly be stolen by thier corrupt government officials, let them fix thier own country or perish, the US has been bailing them out for 100 years and they still have not gotten thier [bleep] together, why do you think the DR wants nothing to do with them.

Bring on the flames but the truth is the truth and all the PC BS in the world is not going to change it.

Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. T Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best thing Hati could do is abolish it's government, drop it's border and become part of the Dominican Republic.

Last edited by crosshair; 01/14/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It seems there is no bottom when it comes to the depth of US taxpayers pockets, I fear we will find out in the not so far future just how bad it can get here when our economy collapses under the strain....but I'm sure we will get all kinds of outside help from country's all around the world.........Try to prepare or at least Brace yourself for whats coming!................547.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by Longbob
Mike,

Here is another analysis that you may be interested in. The average global credit rating of all countries is approximately 45 on a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the highest. Switzerland (no surprise) has the highest rating at 94. The United States is at 88 with puts us number 15 down from 13 as of March of 2009 according to Institutional Investor.

Saudi Arabia is at 72.4. Their estimated debt to GDP ratio is approximately 15% of GDP. One must ask why Saudi's "credit rating" is less than the United States when it appears that they are relatively debt free when you compare it to GDP. It must mean there is more to it than that. Right?

You wouldn't think they would have any debt, but they do. I have never cared for analyzing debt to GDP. I would rather analyze debt to tax revenues. That would be more akin to a person's personal debt load to their income. Which would help avoid a bankruptcy situation.

To analyze whether a person or entity is bankrupt, then you consider their debt to equity which leads back to my original post on this subject.

By they way, China's credit rating is at 74.1 which puts it currently at number 34 down from 33 the year prior. I think many would have thought that China was the world's financial powerhouse, but they are a greater credit risk than the good old USA. Doesn't hurt my feelings none. smile

Credit ratings as determined by whom? The same people who rated all of the CDO and MBS derivatives as AAA risks? S&P, Moody's, Fitch? I wouldn't trust their analysis on anything after their performance the last two years. Their analysis is bought and paid for.

Mike,

Did you not read my post? The credit rating is according to Institutional Investor and they are NOT the same ones that rated the derivatives. A credit rating is only as good as their analysis, but I would put more credence in their analysis than yours for a few reasons. One being that they do this for a living, as do I, and their process is much more involved than just one person that doesn't have the time or resources. Not that this is always the correct analysis as exhibited by Moody's and S&P, but again we both do this for a living.

Much of what you write is correct, but your conclusions run into problems with facts. Our credit rating is what it is and I bet that the Institutional Investor number is a whole lot closer to correct than what you are inferring. We are still selling our bonds and foreign countries are buying them. I noticed that you didn't point out the advantage of paying off debt with cheaper dollars. There's a fact for you.

Our national debt is at $12 trillion and our country is not bankrupt. You are blurring the lines when you bring in Social Security obligations because those are also funded by payroll taxes and they are entitlements that can and will be modified. Right now they are not enough and it needs to be fixed, but again our country is not bankrupt. If it were, NOBODY would buy our debt.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mike,

Here is a simple fact that refutes your analysis of our country being bankrupt.

The interest rates on our currently issued debt is at record lows and our dollar is depreciating which makes the effective interest rate even lower to many foreign buyers. The largest buyers of our debt are foreign. The conclusion is that a bankrupt entity would not be able to issue debt at record low rates.

It just doesn't work that way you suggest.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you checked the TIC flows lately? They're at record lows. This past auction for 10 and 30 year bonds had a huge drop in indirect buyers-read foreign interests. The results for that auction won't be out for a few weeks, but more recent results will be released on the 19th of January. Here's the most recent TIC data:

www.treas.gov/press/releases/tg443.htm

The reason that the interest rates are low is due to our central bank-the Federal Reserve- buying the bonds. They use their Primary Dealers to purchase them and then two weeks later they repo the bonds. It's called monetization, and it is in effect printing money. This is how our Fed keeps interest rates artificially low.

Most foreign buyers are happy to purchase at the short end of the bond spectrum as it's a cash equivalent, but are very reluctant to do so at the longer end, which is why there is such a steep yield curve right now, almost 285 basis points. The problem with selling debt on the short end is that it has to be rolled over quickly, and we are pushing so much of it out into the market that we're going to have to find buyers for $2.3 Trillion this year alone. Every country is doing the same thing, and that's why the market is saturated with debt. The Fed can only set rates on the short end, and use the monetization trick on the long end, but they are having trouble on the long end, so the yield is creeping up. Buyers are going to demand much higher rates to compensate for the devaluation taking place, or the Fed risks a failed auction.

You may call our debt only $12 trillion if you like, but the other entitlements have to be paid too, and they are increasing because of demographics. They must either be paid, reduced, or defaulted. Just because we're using a budgetary sleight of hand in order to hide this, doesn't mean that it isn't there.

Now that you describe what you do professionally, I understand why you're so adamant that we're not bankrupt; in essence, you're talking your book and have bowed at the altar of the Fed. You believe their propaganda and have probably been trained in either Keynesian or Chicago school economics. Both are frauds which rely on the Ponzi scheme of paper money to have any success. Unfortunately for the country, this Ponzi scheme is coming to an end, as they have every other time they're tried, and it will bring economic and financial devastation never before seen. Haiti will seem like small potatoes when the US FRN$ collapses of it's own weight of debt. Then who will be willing to help us? As I said before, damn few.

Edited to include link

Last edited by mike762; 01/14/10.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll give money to red cross..

One thing I don't understand though. They keep talking on the news about all the trapped people in the rubble, but in every video I see, able bodied men are just standing around like tourists in the streets. WTF is up with that? Why are american search and rescue teams heading there if their own people won't dig through the rubble? They should have plenty of man power to get the job done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'd say it's one of the things we do best,.....

Where are the Saudi / Iranian airlifts,.... ?

....The Cuban ....?

... The Venezuelan .....?

.....Mexico ,...?

GTC

I understand that the chinks, ah, chicomms sent a plane load of stuff over

GOA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, they were there FIRST,.....

SRT teams, if I'm not mistaken.

Those folk should be pretty handy about Earthquake recovery,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For humanity's sake, we should be there in force assisting. As to the (typical) lack of meaningful aid from anywhere else on the globe including the big-mouthed despots of South America - this is our narcissist-in-chief's opportunity to use his big mouth and do as he claimed he would: shame other nations into action. Won't hold my breath, however. Trust his priority is to make it appear, for political gain, how much better his Fed is that Bush's, through good PR and little substance, regarding disaster relief. Again, we'll see....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 163bc
Originally Posted by NathanL

I'm all for immediate aid in food/water/medical supplies and rescue.

I'm not for pouring in money for years/decades (like we already have) to "rebuild" a country that wasn't built in the first place.

yep & yep

ditto yep.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
"Never waste a good crisis". It'll be interesting to see what stunts the WH tries to pull while the news attention is on Haiti.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm kinda' amazed how quiet any coherent response to this "Council Of Governors" E.O. has been,.....

As noted, that place was a pesthole LONG before this latest bump.
What with all the brouhaha 'bout "Pandemics", ....flu shots, etc., I'd still not be surprised to see a MASSIVE influx of New Haitian immigrants.

Do you think MEXICO will offer them some room ?

.....Venezuela ?

Nothing in particular against them,.......as a people, but the "Standing Around" bit is a very perspicacious observation, on your part, C.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
In my original post I asked for opinions knowing that there would be a wide view of the matter.

Personally I'm all for an all out effort in the initial stages, getting the best possible first response medical teams and rescue personal on the ground there as fast as possible.

But I'm then also all for (after the first few months) turning it over to the U.N. or the likes for other nations combined to do the restructuring and rebuilding work.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greyghost
In my original post I asked for opinions knowing that there would be a wide view of the matter.

Personally I'm all for an all out effort in the initial stages, getting the best possible first response medical teams and rescue personal on the ground there as fast as possible.

But I'm then also all for after the first few months turning it over to the U.N. or the likes for other nations combined to do the restructuring and rebuilding work.

Phil

I agree with you on getting medical teams/rescue personal there asap but I expect the UN will want the US to pay for rebuilding. I dont know where the US is going to get 100 million in releif to send, guess they will just print it. Anyone know how much The Dominican Rep is sending? I mean their right there are they at least helping? And what about Cuba, are they doing anything?

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wouldn't expect much out of either, but especially the DR. They've hated each other for centuries.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My apologies to the original poster for taking the thread off on a tangent. I would be happy to continue the discussion with Mike in another thread if he wishes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob
My apologies to the original poster for taking the thread off on a tangent. I would be happy to continue the discussion with Mike in another thread if he wishes.

I'd love to see it. I find the debate quite interesting as well as educating.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 44automag, 12 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,132
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.