Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The deadliest dogs
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Something clever here.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The deadliest dogs
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Where do pugs and weenie dogs fall on that list?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
bet that TRH will dispute the Clifton study.

GOA
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TooDogs
bet that TRH will dispute the Clifton study.
Nah. There's nothing in that study that I haven't already addressed. Just reread all my previous posts. If you guys want to believe the conclusions of know-nothing statisticians with an agenda over people with real firsthand experience for 22 years, you go on ahead and do so.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Exactly, Dave. Nice examples of what I said earlier, i.e., not a single case of a bite by a Pitbull escapes nationwide wall to wall coverage. Also, where were all these Pitbull attacks before regular folks ever heard of the breed, say before 1975?

The Pitbull is the number one most populous breed of dog in the United States today, and not by a little. By a lot. Switch that situation with, say, Boxers, and put them in the same exact environments as Pitbulls are currently to be found, and the stats would be indistinguishable.

That surprises me, everything I see and read lists labs as the first most populous and bulldogs at 5th at best...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by T LEE
This is why I have HOUSE cats! smile smile smile
All your cats are outdoor cats, Terry?

All three of my cats stay in the house 100% of the time, never go outside.

My daughter has a couple of barn cats but they stick to the place, have never seen them even in the front yard.

Indoor cats seem to be more mellow and friendlier, IME.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As much as I love dogs, you couldn't pay me to own a pit...

ETA...OldCenterChurch got it right!!!!

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 01/13/10.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sgt217
That surprises me, everything I see and read lists labs as the first most populous and bulldogs at 5th at best...
You're probably looking at lists produced by the AKC. The American (Pit) Bull Terrier is not an AKC breed, so wouldn't appear on one of their lists (they register a small percentage of the total "Pitbull" population under the two names American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier). The most conservative estimates are that there are about ten million American (Pit) Bull Terriers (APBT) in the United States, but since the vast majority are not registered, this number likely represents a drop in the bucket compared to the actual number.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
As much as I love dogs, you couldn't pay me to own a pit...

ETA...OldCenterChurch got it right!!!!
Not that I want you to have one, but you don't know what you're missing. Very sweet animals. Real joy for life, and have more of a natural affection for human beings than any other breed I've ever had experience with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tick-tock, tick-tock...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Not that I want you to have one, but you don't know what you're missing. Very sweet animals. Real joy for life, and have more of a natural affection for human beings than any other breed I've ever had experience with.

Are you serious? Dude... Everybody on the planet knows pit bulls are a ticking time bomb except you... But wait...There's more.... You know something that everyone else just doesn't get....
If you would have bailed on this thread early or would have ignored it all together... Things would have been different... You are nuts...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Are you serious? Dude... Everybody on the planet knows pit bulls are a ticking time bomb except you... But wait...There's more.... You know something that everyone else just doesn't get....
If you would have bailed on this thread early or would have ignored it all together... Things would have been different... You are nuts...
How old are you, Bart? Seriously.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bart is walking proof that wisdom doesn't come with being old. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm

I would have thought beagles to be higher on the list.

Last edited by Mac84; 01/13/10.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Well, not everyone on the planet thinks Pit Bulls are "ticking time bombs" I have to agree with the Hawkeye on this one. Their interactions with humans are quite on the positive side. I have dealt with quite a few Pitts, and to the largest extent, they were very pleasant dogs to work with, and I can't say that for several other breeds on the "dangerous dog list". I am very sorry for Sam's wife and their dog..I'm sure her experience was terrifying to say the least.

Having said that, I do believe that quite a few Pits do have problems with dog on dog aggression..like they have a screw loose and act almost psychotic. Sam's wife got caught up in that aggression..and was bitten. It is not uncommon for people to get bitten while breaking up dog fights. My guess is that Sam's wife would not have been attacked had she walked across the street alone? This in no way condones the actions of the dog.

I don't have a Pit Bull, but I think, in general, they are great dogs. These are very tough dogs..well muscled, thick skin and necks..powerful jaws..probably the epitome of the canines. I think they can be trusted with people as much as any other dog, but I don't trust them with other dogs. So, we have a broken trust, and that's not a good thing.

As much as the owners of these dogs love them, they have to understand their responsibilities if they want to keep them. They must have complete control of them when interacting with the public. To me this means a well fitted collar with a choke collar behind, or a harness..

So, that is my love/hate relationship..and I leave you with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1trl1FMUw

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you know that tiger was a magician too?

He turned a fruit into a vegetable with one bite.

laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
B
I had a room mate whos daughter learned to walk holding herself up on my pits ears and there was never an issue. I have never had an issue with any of mine. Would I have another one? No but not for the reasons I have seen here, I just can't or won't put up with the hassles of owning one ie the laws agaist them, the way people freak out when they see them and the problems even renting a place when they find out what kind of dog you have. I have seen some well raise ones that were other animal aggressive, but I have a lab/grayhound mix that will go crazy if another dog (other than my wifes) comes near the house.

Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. T Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

And Jeff...You are proof that retards can vote and type...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

And Jeff...You are proof that retards can vote and type...

I'm feelin' the love..

Almost time for a "group hug" laugh

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
How old are you, Bart? Seriously.

Is that it?
Ask me my age?
You should have stayed out of this....

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.