Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Doing what's right might not be easy, and it might cost you something, but it's always right.

They, were not right.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by billhilly
The security guards we have are under the "observe and report" orders as well. It is pretty much industry standard for unarmed (and sometimes armed) security contracts. They'd have gotten fired for physically involving themselves in the fight and would have been on thier own for any lawsuits or criminal charges.

It sucks but it's not the fault of the guards. They're told in training not to ever touch anybody.

I'd best not find out the names that stood by and let my daughter take an ass-whoopin' like that gal did. mad

P
P
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It seems the story is the security guards have standing orders not to get involved in violent confrontations. Can't wait for the law suit.

Probably true. I worked as security guard for a while back in college (mid 80's) and I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not to get involved in any use of force unless attacked. My job was to observe and report and to call the authorities. If there were any lawsuits then the company attorneys would back me up as long as I followed procedure. If I stepped outside those boundaries, I was on my own.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"Agreed Birdwatcher...

I'm sorry, did I miss the class where a couple black teenage girls sorting out a beef became "gangsters"?
Was it pretty savage? Yup, but two undisciplined, cretin teens does not make a "gang"."

Aileinduinn, you did indeed, miss "the class." So did Birdwatcher. Either that or you are waaaay behind times. ("Cute" pictures, however, although a poor analogy.)

The report stated that there were upward of 14/15 of these young thugs with the young woman (at 18, you're no longer a "kid," BTW), who attacked the victim. If you are of the opinion that "gangstas" only come in heavily tattooed form wearing either red or blue bandanas/shirts/caps, etc., you're naively mistaken.

While the attack was going on, do you really believe that some of the other "kiddies" with the attacker were not intimidating the passersby, or the so-called "Security Guards?"

You guys are living in a dream world if you believe that groups of young gangs don't often go armed with some type of weapon(s). Doesn't matter their ethnic background, either. Black, white, brown, yellow, or red. It is a standard phenomenom today.

After nearly 15 years with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept., plus being a former member of the Calif. Gang Investigators Assoc., I assure you I know a bit about "gangstas," including the wannabees.

Anytime a group of young thugs confront you, or surround you, or attack you... you are already up to your ass in alligators. Violence by a young gang (or "group of kids" if that is more politically correct in your lexicon) is very likely to take on a feeding frenzy. Violence in those situations is infective.

But...... believe what you want. (You might hope and pray that you are never the target of a large group of "little kiddies.")

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Batchief909
The security guards we have are under the "observe and report" orders as well. It is pretty much industry standard for unarmed (and sometimes armed) security contracts. They'd have gotten fired for physically involving themselves in the fight and would have been on thier own for any lawsuits or criminal charges.

It sucks but it's not the fault of the guards. They're told in training not to ever touch anybody.

I'd best not find out the names that stood by and let my daughter take an ass-whoopin' like that gal did. mad

What would you do? Take it out on the guards or the security services vendor who implimented the policy? Maybe the client who had the policy negotiated into the contract with the security vendor?

Uniformed security are by and large much less able to intervene in such cases than an ordinary Joe walking down the street.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We should all be thankful that most of us do not have to worry about our children being robbed and stomped to death while going to the mall or do we? Most of us sympathize with those parents who properly raise their children in violent high crime areas, but this incident could happen almost anywhere.

Before this I thought my daughter was safe when going to the mall. The good news is that this incident may force municipalities and malls that hire "plastic" security to invest in hiring trained professionals. $6-7 per hour is not going to help those three guards, train and pay one $20 with the authority to intervene and it may help everyone.

No easy solutions, the Jan. 09 BART shooting comes to mind.

Last edited by rkamp; 02/11/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So my question is: Who is the bean counter that is paying those three spineless pr*cks to be working at a job that one high school student could do by just watching camera monitors. Even referring to those guys as security guards is like calling a stop sign a policeman.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a lot of those bean counters in every corporation on the planet. Legal liabilities, deterence only, return on investments, and fear of lawyers. That's how the world works. Where ya been?

It's "security theater" not unlike the TSA.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few years back, I was involved in creating policies and procedures for an �armed response team� for a large corp. I was working for. We worked with the legal dept. and got a fairly workable set of procedures for our guards to intervene with force should we have a violent incident. I was proud.

Then we were bought by an even bigger corporation and the first thing they did was dump the armed response guys. Immediately. Observe and report only. Don�t touch anybody or we might get sued.

These security guards might well be puzzys I don�t know. But you can�t blame them for standing around observing and reporting unless you want to blame the lawyers and executives along with them.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Its just a crying shame when the all mighty dollar takes precedence over helping or saving someone, what has this country gotten its self into. How anyone could stand there and let an assualt that could have led to that girls death happen is beyond me, I would have stopped that, let the consequences be damned, at least Id sleep well at night.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After I dealt with the spineless [bleep] that stod by and watched....the rest would be irrelevant. My bond most likely not met..

Last edited by Batchief909; 02/11/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow another internet commando. Seeth on tough guy.

Why not beat up the guy working the pizza counter at the mall too or the guy there to buy some shoes or anybody else that happened to be there? You expect a guy making 8 bucks an hout to throw his job away and entangle himself in legal issues or you"ll kick his azz?

Last edited by billhilly; 02/11/10.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is easy to say that someone would intervene, but consider the situation:

- There are Seattle Sheriff Deputies in the Transit Tunnel (not many, but a few on a random basis). The
Sheriff�s Department has legal jurisdiction over the Seattle Transit Tunnel.
- The "Security" guards are there to "observe and report" and call the deputies when needed.
- They are trained and required to not intervene in any violent situations.
- They will be disciplined (fired?) if they do get involved in a violent situation.
- They are not armed and have less legal authority than a normal citizen has to intervene since their contract (orders) only allow them to "observe and report".
- If they are fired, where will they get another low paying job in today's economy?

Yes, they could have used their bodies to block the attack while not touching the attacker and if she attacked them, they could defend themselves, but they might violate their orders. I�m not saying they did the humane thing, but their reaction is more understandable than originally described.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow another internet commando. Seeth on tough guy.

Why not beat up the guy working the pizza counter at the mall too or the guy there to buy some shoes or anybody else that happened to be there? You expect a guy making 8 bucks an hout to throw his job away and entangle himself in legal issues or you"ll kick his azz?

WOW!! No,,,I really expected a response from a REAL man, but I guess I'll take what ya gotta say......

Otherwise I'd assume there would be a real man in the audience to stop the bullshit of a woman getting beat. Pardon me if I stepped on your manhood.

God help you if it were my daughter and I found out you stood by and did nothing.

Not an internet "tough guy".....just a father who loves his daughter.

If you don't comprehend that,,,then you're no better than the pussy [bleep] who stood by and did nothing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The security guards were probably the only ones standing around who knew for sure that they'd get fired for doing anything yet that's where you choose to focus. If you persist in wanting to beat up everybody that does not help your daughter, you might think about keeping her at home most of the time.

Got any anger left over for you know, the people who actually attacked the girl?

Last edited by billhilly; 02/11/10.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The security guards were probably the only ones standing around who knew for sure that they'd get fired for doing anything yet that's where you choose to focus. If you persist in wanting to beat up everybody that does not help your daughter, you might think about keeping her at home most of the time.

Got any anger left over for you know, the people who actually attacked the girl?

My "focus" (as you say) would be on the candy-azzez who stood and watched. I'd deal with the authors of the policy later. I can't comprehend choosing my job vs a girl getting beat.

Sorry,,,I'd be unemployed and hiring a good attorney.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No, you'd be unemployed and wishing you had the money to hire an attorney. Probably worried about what your family will eat and where they'll stay when the rent is due and they're evicted. These people live paycheck to paycheck and it is drilled into them during training to call the cops and observe and report so that's what they did.

I'd intervene but I can afford to. So could several of the other people standing around more than likely. Your anger is misplaced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No, you'd be unemployed and wishing you had the money to hire an attorney. Probably worried about what your family will eat and where they'll stay when the rent is due and they're evicted. These people live paycheck to paycheck and it is drilled into them during training to call the cops and observe and report so that's what they did.

I'd intervene but I can afford to. So could several of the other people standing around more than likely. Your anger is misplaced.

I don't have no anger,,,until somebody tries to [bleep] with my daughter. Then you have a whole different ballgame to deal with, Scooter.

I'm actually a pretty mellow guy up to that point. cool

I got plenty of money for an attorney,,,and my freezer's full from the past hunting season.

Next example......you singled me out. Keep spouting your chicken-chit excuses for not standing up for a woman....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm left speechless.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.