Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Are you loading with a Kynoch foam wad? Or at least backer rod?
The loads for H4831sc that I show in Wrights book show the need for foam with 104 grains. W/O foam the load needs to be up to 108.
IMR 4831 should be 103 to 105 w/0 foam. The speed you want should be about 2050fps to 2100fps to regulate if you've got a chrony.
Without a foam wad you might be getting erratic ignition. You are using Fed 215's right?

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I haven't had any issues with H4831sc from 100-110 grains. it's pretty filling and even at 100-102gr the bullet compresses it a tad. Even at about 1950fps, the biggest "group" I've ever gotten was about 3" at 50 yards).

(I do have the book and know he says that but this has not been my experience.)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't have a 470 so you're more informed than I. I'm just trying to help him from the book.

Now if it were 577/500BPE or 500 3" BPE or 500/450NE or 450 NE then I could help more with a partuicular cartridge.
I've been playing with foam backer rod from Cheapo Depot instead of the $pendy Knyoch foam plugs with good sucess.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
the OP says it was regulated with Federal ammo (I'm assuming at 50 or 70M).

this means RL-15, Hornady cases and Federal 216 primers (not available to us). no filler.

Mine was regulated with Wolfgang-Roney ammo, which I gather is a blended or proprietary powder.

Anyhow, in a free-to-recoil 470, I've not seen a huge difference in H4831, IMR 4831, RL-15 and RL-22 in terms of regulation. It's just a matter of finding the right formula (and not shooting too much per session so you don't muck the data up).

I think he did pretty well for first time out. this takes a couple months to really nail down.

smile

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thank You, Thank You and Thank You...

No foam fillers, However my individual groups were best at 105. I am going to try tomorrow off the sticks and see what happens, I think it will be much more enjoyable than shooting it off the bench.
I have already put 40 rounds through, which leaves me with ten left, (I only ordered one box to test the rifle with), so after this I have to wait for the Mail Man on Monday. It is fun to shoot though...

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1 on the Federal loads. I've not used any fillers either.

Heym regulates their rifles with Wolgang Romey ammo. If memory serves me, they use Woodleighs.

As for shooting, stand up and rest your hand on bags on some sort of rest. I built a double rifle rest that looks like a very tall bench.

Another aspect is to make sure you're not canting the gun. This can really cause some odd problems, particularly if one barrel is shooting a bit higher than another.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
OK, so they were regulated at 50 meters, which is what I am shooting at.

Also what size target do you guys use? 4" 8", Round, Square? Any particular Color Red, Black?

And do you focus your eye on the rear sight, the front bead or the target?

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I guess this thread is going on a little longer than you might have thought Bob...

www.chefgonehunting.com
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
mine is about an 8" black circle on white, aim point = bottom of circle / middle of bead(see initial post for picture)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Standard 10X bull for me (like UtahLefty, see my initial pic). At longer ranges, though, nothing like a big 6" Target Dot on a big sheet of freezer paper.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/07/10.
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I was able to find a box of Federal Factory loads that the gun was regulated with, I am going to compare that to what I shot today. I went up to 108 and still showed no overpressure signs, but still not a great group. My speed was about 2080 fps. (Not sure why I am going to admit this here but I hit the chrono today with a round, not bad though just the metal bar that supports the plastic hood). Not sure how much more recoil I can handle, but when the federals come in I will have something to compare it to, maybe I might have to try a different powder. (H4831 now)

I think there is some user error going on too. My groups are scattered in about a 6" circle, still no crossover though

I am also considering mounting a scope on it just to see if I can shoot a better group with it then I would know it is me with the iron sights and not the load, however thats a $500 expense and a can of worms I dont really want to excercise right now.

www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can you post a picture of your group? I'm wondering how close your rights and lefts are over the dozen or so shots you fired.

As for your Chrony, I can paraphrase the bible--He who has not shot his chrony, cast the first bullet. . .

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I dont have a picture, but the next volley of Copper I send down range I will be sure to digitally capture.

I sort of lied, I actually hit it twice today. Once with the .470 and once with the .416, not sure how I nicked it, but thats a picture worth posting. Luckily its ok...

www.chefgonehunting.com
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
500 woodleigh. pretty good straight line penetration. don't tell anyone I told ya... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hunteria,or anyone, Can you post pics here if I send them to you? I've got a bullet proof shield for the Chronys. I can't do it but I think eyeryone will like this one. PM me an email addy.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thats awesome, even if I did hit mine twice in one day, I dont feel so bad, at least mine still works...

www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AkMike1
Hunteria,or anyone, Can you post pics here if I send them to you? I've got a bullet proof shield for the Chronys. I can't do it but I think eyeryone will like this one. PM me an email addy.

Be happy to help. PM sent.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pics from AkMike1-- It certainly looks bullet proof! Mike, please add your comments.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Huntaria,
I agree if your having those kinds of eye problems then I would certainly go to a 9.3x74 or 62 for my big game hunting..Its just not worth it..

My .470 was regulated with 108 grs. of IMR-4831 and shot a 500 gr. Woodleigh soft of solid to POI at 2245 FPS (10 shot average with the high and low out) It bucked and twisted like and eel in your hand, was pretty horrendous to shoot..so I found that it also shot 85 grs. or RL-15 and a 5 gr. dose of Dacron for 2020 FPS to the same POI and at about an inch at 50 yards..It hammered buffalo as well as the 2245 FPS load as far as I could tell and I shot about a dozen buffalo with that load, so I never used another load in it..I notice this load shoots well in most 470s and to the same POI as well, and in all Searcys I have shot??????

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Explain the Dacron. Is that the wad?

www.chefgonehunting.com
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, AceBall, achlupsa, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.