jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I tried one once. At the end of that day I wanted to turn the guy on myself. It had to be the most boring day of hunting that I ever experienced.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have only hunted in Oregon but have taken blacktail, mule deer and white tail.

On public land I find the blacktail hardest, the white tail second and the mule deer third in difficulty.

My sample of white tails is pretty small, I have only taken four of them. Two were does. They share the Wallowa County area with mule deer and are becoming seemingly more numerous each year especially in agricultural areas.

Really big blacktails are primarily nocturnal and live in brushpiles that are tall and dense. I have only killed one truly large one in my life that wasn't living behind locked gates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll give a blacktail tip i found works. Get a good topo map of your hunt area. Every deer bed you find, mark it on the map. After hunting the area a few years you will get a good number of beds marked,with a good idea how they decide on the locations. Then you hunt every one of these beds by sneaking in and glassing them from cover. Eventually you will catch a mature buck in its bed. I spend more time looking for new beds to mark on my map than hunting deer.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Black tails are a interesting animal they live in different geographic areas in the Northwest. Northern Cal and Southern Oregon its a lot more open than here in NW Oregon and NW Washington. The biggest bucks seem to grow down south and along the Pacific Crest trail. Jeff is right though our deer numbers are way down due to HLS having taken their toll over the last 10 years. In the old days up in NW Oregon if we did not see 10-15 deer a day it was a bad day, now if you see 3 in a day its a good day. Still fun to hunt them when the October monsoons hit and they start moving and the bucks start to roam a little bit more in the day light. The biggest deer I have ever shot in NW Oregon was a big 4 point he weighed in at 140 lbs ( dressed out) the majority of the deer up here will weight between 80 and a 120 lbs.

Last edited by ehunter; 04/16/10.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad, Son and I with dads buck.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

The son's buck
[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]
My son and a couple cousins packing out a meat buck.
Dad, son and I with dad's buck that year.
This is what a nice week in camp looks like.
A decent buck from 06. With one buck tag a year you want to pass up the dinks but don't get to greedy or you'll go hungery.

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Are all those deer in SO. Nice looking deer, the picture of the truck is a classic.

Last edited by ehunter; 04/18/10.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Jeff,

Try a treestand yet?

jim

No. I think it could be real productive though. Boyd Iverson (the "Blacktail Trophy Tactics" author) is big into them.

I got my first blacktail by sitting, watching, sitting, and more sitting. Finally it was just inevitable! The buck I killed was the only deer I saw that year though.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, that's it [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The only deer I have hunted is blacktails. Killed about... 22 of them I think now. But who's counting. smile

I may be hunting a primo mule deer tag this year. I have the points, it's just whether I want to do it this year or not. To be honest- I'm a little skeered <grin>! I know how to kill a blacktail every year... not so sure I know how to kill a mule deer in the sage & juniper.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wow, JO's count had increased by 6 in a year, lots of Oregon tags.

Just for the record, Steelhead is lying here. Surprise.

Should say, I've drawn 17 DEER tags and filled 16. Damn elk have my number. I don't want to talk about elk tags. :-)

So from June 2008 till April 2010 you've killed 6 more blacktails? Tough keeping up with the lies ain't is asswipe

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2273717/3

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I knew you wouldn't let us down Steelhead. When a guy like Jeff O has diarrhea of the keyboard, he can't help but get caught in his lies. I'd put the actual number at about 10, if I were a betting man.

Last edited by Calvin; 04/18/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bump...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] abacus must be broken.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damage control is a science...

A
A
After hunting whitetails in a half a dozen or so states back east, I found hunting blacktails to be more difficult when I moved to Oregon in '06. They are not as patternable as whitetails and often cannot be hunted in the peak of the rut (most general and controlled seasons in Oregon end by the first week of November). The terrain can be a little more difficult as well with large expanses of wilderness and the deer scattered. Firs being the predominent tree on the western side of the state also impacts things as the cover remains relatively thick long after the leaves would have fallen off of hardwoods and increased visibility.

It is definately a change to have a go at blacktails.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love hunting Sitka Blacktails..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have taken Blacktails, whitetails and mulies all in Washington. These are some of the things i have learned so far:

The only times i see big blacktail bucks, is jumping them from a bed(or catching them in one) or in a hellish wind and rain storm. If its sunny nice warm weather during hunting season, i might as well stay home or find a mulie farther east.

I have seen Mulies and Blacktails in the same basin sometimes. Now i see mixed groups, i have 2 does and a fawn that come to eat apples at my tree by the house. One doe is a mulie, one is a blacktail. Seeing less and less true blacktails every year(east of the pacific crest that is).

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Big_W
I have seen Mulies and Blacktails in the same basin sometimes. Now i see mixed groups, i have 2 does and a fawn that come to eat apples at my tree by the house. One doe is a mulie, one is a blacktail. Seeing less and less true blacktails every year(east of the pacific crest that is).

Big W,

How do you tell the mule deer and blacktails apart, size of glands on the legs?...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually you tell the difference by the tail, but also by the coloring of the body, especially around the face and head.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steelhead's quote of my comment made me go count horns on my Wall of Dinks <g>. Indeed, I'd killed 16-17 in June '08 when I posted that. Killed 4 since then (2 bucks, 2 does). So I've actually killed 20-21 blacktails. Hunting, that is; killed a couple more also with a gun. I'd say that's "about... 22" of them, as I said, or close enough for me.

In the early 2000's Oregon was still issuing "additional" doe tags, so IF you had access to the mostly private land units (Central Melrose was the one I had access to), where they issued those extra tags, you could get 3 tags total for the year. Which I did several times, and only didn't fill all three one time.

But for Pete's sake... really? REALLY?! All horned up over this [bleep]? After all... it's not like Steelhead never messes up a number by a bit. wink

October 24 and 26, 2006. Good year

Actually I'm off on the dates, it was the 27th on the scooter buck, cuzz we left it with Graham so we could go get his bear.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,875
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.