Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Google, "cat's sneeze", you will find some interesting reading on the Finn's use of reduced loads.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dew
Rogue, do you remember that amount of BD that you were using that was too hot a load?

Montana Marine...
Thank you for the information. It looks like we are getting somewhere on the use of BD.

Dew

It was well below the max data listed by MM. I dropped down what I figured to be a safe amount, touched off what I thought was a safe starting load and whammy. Just popped the primer, didn't damage the extractor. It was with LC brass so who knows. I still us BD a lot but use a much lower starting load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no personal experience with Blue Dot in rifle loads.....nor do I have a dog in that fight.....my reasoning is simply that if the manufacturer (Alliant) doesn't recommend it then I don't use it!

I'm not sure if Al Gore invented the internet.....but of this I am sure....the internet has invented a helluva lot of experts and some are truly worth listening to.....but sorting them all out is beyond me so I confine myself to published loads from the manufacturers and those with pressure testing equipment such as Hornady et al.....

So far I have all my fingers, both my eyes, and haven't blown up a gun. It's a lot more fun that way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dew
I see these reduced loads for Blue Dot all over the forum. I've YET to see any PRESSURE numbers. Where are the pressure numbers?
I'm not going to load any reduced Blue Dot until I see some. This story about "it is safe in my rifle" just means to me that the rifle in question didn't blow up.

Where are you guys that are using Blue Dot in rifle cartridges getting your information, please?

Any writers have any pressure readings from the Alliant people?

If you look at Lyman's reloading manuals you'll see many reduced loads listed that use pistol powders. I haven't gotten around to putting any blue dot reduced loads together YET, but bought a can for that express purpose. The last primer I blew was back in 1972. Stupid is, as stupid does...YMMV

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 06/04/10.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Like the man says if you are worried about trying the loads "DON'T.
JEEZEE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blue dot works very well in .300 whisper with 200 grainers 8 grains outta have you right at supersonic.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've used Bluedot for the 308 and the 6.5x55. I stayed within Seafire's recommended max, worked up my loads slowly, and got great accuracy and no pressure signs. Nothing too difficult as long as the loader knows what they are looking for in regards to pressure signs, and uses their heads a little. For a fact, if a loader don't, won't or can't do that anyway, they have no business reloading.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
" nor do I have a dog in that fight....."

vapodog,

Really?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive been using Blue Dot with seafires recommendations for a couple of years now, and have had no problems and great accuracy.

Proceedure is very important when using it, load one at a time.
Prime, charge and seat bullet.

2 charges will fit in the cases that i load it with very easily.

RC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obviously, we are all responsible for our own actions, but I choose to use them, and I've had excellent results in various cartridges.

If one is worried about printed data from a manufacturer, there are other powders intended for reduced loads. I've recently tried the Trail Boss powder in a 243 with darn good results. I've tried it with 75 grain Sierra HP's, and Hornady 100 grain BTSP's. I found best accuracy closer to the top loading, both around the 14.5 grain mark; these are sanctioned loads direct from the Trail Boss data: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

It may be a little louder, but I'm getting 1" or less accuracy at 100 yards with little recoil and not much barrel heating; great for practicing field position shooting and for using up odds and ends of bullet boxes. Anywhere above 13.5 grains puts the powder level close enough to the neck that you can visually check the powder level and no way to double charge unless one is completely incompetent. Not sure how it will drop from the measure, I've been scooping with Lee scoops and trickling in to finish.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

731 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.