Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I have never gotten the point of ultra mags and the big weatherby mags (7mm weatherby and up) as "hunting" cartridges. When you really think about it, they dont kill animals any deader, I have NEVER seen any difference in how quick they kill the animal, and to me all they do is recoil alot harder wich makes people alot less accurate. accuracy is everything. An animal shot in the guts is going to run a HELL of a long ways no matter if you shoot it with a 223 or a 458. From what i have seen, alot of people are accurate with 270's 06's ect... but as soon as they pick up a magnum and especially ultra mags and the larger weatherby's, their accuracy goes out the window. When you compare a 30-06 to a 300 ultra or weatherby, Its the exact same bullet coming out of both guns, but the ultra's and weatherby's are burning alot more powder and have alot more recoil (wich make you less accurate) for a little flatter trajectory and the same results. I see people all the bragging how they have all these big magnums and all i do is laugh at them. Alot of people have the mind set that if they have a big "SUPER" magnum that they will kill more animals. In reality, i garuntee they are not killing any more animals than me or anybody else just because they have a big ass gun. In fact, in the long run ill proble end up recovering more if not all my animals just because i hunt with a gun that im not affraid of and i can put it in the boiler room. To me only point to have a big azz "super" magnum is if your always shooting more than 500 yards. Even then, Ill NEVER call those people who shoot those type of ranges hunters. That aint huntin!!! Thats shootin!!! Its not that hard to close in on animals to a reasonalbe shooting distance. all you have to do is be smart and use what the good lord gave ya. Now i dont have any ill feelings towards people who have a ultra or big weatherby because theirs alot of people who have them plainly just because they like the rifle and cartridge. I do have a problem with the people who think they have to have one because they think it will help them kill more and because they think it makes them look like a bad ass. I do like magnums (my favorit rifle rifle is my 338 win mag) but i will never have a ultra mag or a big weatherby mag.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a hunter complain about his .30-06. He was not satisfied with the terminal performance. Instead of listening to my advice on chosing a proper bullet and fieldpractical shooting training; the next year he came back with a .300 Win. Mag.

Decent round in itself - but in the context of this guy an answer looking for a question.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That was a nice little rant....with a lot of truth to it.

As long as there are trophy hunters looking to maximize the top end terminal performance of their rifles for their limited time afield, there will be super-magnums.

As long as there are TRUE dedicated long range shooters and hunters, there will be super-magnums.

As long as we as Americans maintain the "more/bigger/faster/louder/stronger is better" mentality, there will be super-magnums.

The above can certainly be seen in those that feel it is necessary to take a .300 RUM to the deer woods to kill a 90lb whitetail doe at 80 yards. (I've seen it...and he had the 20x scope to accomodate it)

And unfortunatly this is embraced by the market because that mentality sells a lot of stuff every year that people don't need.

I think there are those that honestly and responsibly utilize that extra powder capacity to increase their range or deliver bigger heavier bullets. But as you said, I think there are several more that get caught up in the pissing contest and just want it to prove something. That is a certain level of un-realization that takes years to get over. Then one day they just have an epiphany and say "hey, not every deer/elk/bear is shot at 500 yards...I can just use a .30-06 and save the shoulder some..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the point of no paragraphs?

Life is just one damned thing after another
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
variety is the spice of life - that's the point!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was going to make a point but I got completely mesmerized my cal74's avatar.

Scott
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

+1!
Now, why are we here again? grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mercy me! Do I detect more that a little bit of "Holier than thou" in your rant?

Kind of reminds me of the bow hunters who despise gun hunters, because "bow hunters" are the only TRUE hunters... wink shocked

Originally Posted by cal74
What's the point of no paragraphs?

I noticed that he didn't bother to proofread the rant, either, or bother to correct the mis-spelled words....

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I noticed that he didn't bother to proofread the rant, either, or bother to correct the mis-spelled words....

Not to sound too sarcastic to the original poster, but I don't even bother to read things people write that they clump all together and don't even try to do a little proof reading.

Hear ya go, looks even better duplicated wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I understand what the OP is saying and there are a lot of valid points in that paragraph IMHO....when these conversations pop up,I try to remember that at one time both the 30/06 and the 270 Winchester were considered red-hot blistering rounds,magnums in every sense, when we moved from black powder and the 30-30.....

I've observed that two kinds of people gravitate to the larger magnum 30's;those who know exactly what they are doing....and those that don't have a clue.....but the guys who know what they are doing would likely do as well with about any caliber they picked up and hunted with...

But the closing statement by the OP sorta caught me off guard when he said he likes the 338WM because near as I can tell the 7mm Weatherby is nothing more than a necked down 338 in case capacity; and the only difference between a 338 Win Mag and a 300 RUM is a bit more powder capacity and where you stick the bullet.... whistle

So it seems we might be shaving these distinctions a little thin..... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/08/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You consistently use phrases like: "less accurate & being afraid of".

If a mag is not for you...so be it. There are advantages in the right situations...

EXPERIENCED shooters know their limitations and chances are if someone has a few mags, they can handle them well.

Your post is mainly speculation...

It's the summer heat I'm telling ya..... smile

Last edited by CLB; 07/08/10.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

It does that, doesn't it?

For where I hunt I simply don't need the magnums. Sold 'em. Got tired of putting 1/4 can of powder in each case just to get the same results I get with the 6.5, 7x57 and '06. This year I'm trying the 257 R with Partitions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OldRooster

She keeps that up and I'm thinking I'd like to be her chiropractor.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahostalker
I have never gotten the point of ultra mags and the big weatherby mags (7mm weatherby and up) as "hunting" cartridges. When you really think about it, they dont kill animals any deader, I have NEVER seen any difference in how quick they kill the animal, and to me all they do is recoil alot harder wich makes people alot less accurate. accuracy is everything. An animal shot in the guts is going to run a HELL of a long ways no matter if you shoot it with a 223 or a 458. From what i have seen, alot of people are accurate with 270's 06's ect... but as soon as they pick up a magnum and especially ultra mags and the larger weatherby's, their accuracy goes out the window. When you compare a 30-06 to a 300 ultra or weatherby, Its the exact same bullet coming out of both guns, but the ultra's and weatherby's are burning alot more powder and have alot more recoil (wich make you less accurate) for a little flatter trajectory and the same results. I see people all the bragging how they have all these big magnums and all i do is laugh at them. Alot of people have the mind set that if they have a big "SUPER" magnum that they will kill more animals. In reality, i garuntee they are not killing any more animals than me or anybody else just because they have a big ass gun. In fact, in the long run ill proble end up recovering more if not all my animals just because i hunt with a gun that im not affraid of and i can put it in the boiler room. To me only point to have a big azz "super" magnum is if your always shooting more than 500 yards. Even then, Ill NEVER call those people who shoot those type of ranges hunters. That aint huntin!!! Thats shootin!!! Its not that hard to close in on animals to a reasonalbe shooting distance. all you have to do is be smart and use what the good lord gave ya. Now i dont have any ill feelings towards people who have a ultra or big weatherby because theirs alot of people who have them plainly just because they like the rifle and cartridge. I do have a problem with the people who think they have to have one because they think it will help them kill more and because they think it makes them look like a bad ass. I do like magnums (my favorit rifle rifle is my 338 win mag) but i will never have a ultra mag or a big weatherby mag.

I'm glad you cleared the air on this. smile
Some folks can, and, do, use a bigger hammer for a given nail - taint for us to judge, nor is it worth getting the loin cloth in a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I

Originally Posted by BobinNH
But the closing statement by the OP sorta caught me off guard when he said he likes the 338WM because near as I can tell the 7mm Weatherby is nothing more than a necked down 338 in case capacity; and the only difference between a 338 Win Mag and a 300 RUM is a bit more powder capacity and where you stick the bullet.... whistle

So it seems we might be shaving these distinctions a little thin..... grin

What the point of shooting a smaller, lighter bullet with a big case capacity. If your going to go up in case capacity, you might as well go up in bullet size so you can kill bigger stuff.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Mercy me! Do I detect more that a little bit of "Holier than thou" in your rant?

Kind of reminds me of the bow hunters who despise gun hunters, because "bow hunters" are the only TRUE hunters... wink shocked

I am a avid bow hunter, but i dont bow hunt during rifle season. By no means did i mean for this to be "im holier than thou" post.

Last edited by idahostalker; 07/08/10.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by idahostalker

Huh??

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.": Ricky Nelson

Doesn't mean you get to call my GF ugly.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I tend to agree with what the OP is trying to say. I do think that large, heavy magnum cartridges have a place though, especially if you are hunting Dangerous Game.

To paraphrase a commonly used saying on the cigar forums I frequent: "Like what you shoot, shoot what you like."

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by OldRooster

She keeps that up and I'm thinking I'd like to be her chiropractor.

I already have a crick in my neck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,153
Posts18,502,887
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.