Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I went to school for 20 years. The primary skill that I learned was to sit in a room full of people and formulate written answers to a set of questions without any collaboration with anyone else or any access to research or source material. I got very good at it, but the skill had no useful application in the real world.

Oh my. You developed your brain and your ability to reason and organize your thoughts and arguments. You learned the most effective way to express those things. How can that not have a useful application in the real world? The subject matter itself is of secondary importance to what you really learned how to do.

Here at my university we don't have a "pre-law" major per se, but tell students to major in what interests them, as the most important thing is for them to learn how to think, reason, and be articulate in what they produce. Writing well is also of the upmost importance. The specific law subject matter can be acquired in law school, where it is assumed that students at that point can already think clearly, reason, and articulate.

Penny

Actually, the specific law subject matter will be acquired mostly after law school.

Otherwise, exactly spot on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My issue isn't with the cursive writing instruction, but with teaching Spanish in 1st grade in a midwestern town with no spanish population base.

A person who speaks two languages is worth two people. What a wonderful gift to give young children! This is the time when they will most easily pick it up. Even if they never have to use their knowledge of Spanish in future jobs, they will be able to speak with a whole segment of the world that they would otherwise not be able to speak with... even if it's just on a vacation.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My issue isn't with the cursive writing instruction, but with teaching Spanish in 1st grade in a midwestern town with no spanish population base.

A person who speaks two languages is worth two people. What a wonderful gift to give young children! This is the time when they will most easily pick it up. Even if they never have to use their knowledge of Spanish in future jobs, they will be able to speak with a whole segment of the world that they would otherwise not be able to speak with... even if it's just on a vacation.

Penny

Not to mention being able to pick up the other Romance languages much more quickly and easily, or even just understand them enough in print or conversation to get by.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Unfortunately, they're going to pick up curse words along the way, but I don't see why anybody thinks it should be taught in schools. That someone can even ask this question shows how far in a hole our society has fallen.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Can't think of a single time that I have needed cursive writing skills in any aspect of business. Math skills without a calculator? Absolutely. Cursive writing? Useless.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's probably more important to teach them how to spell taught! grin

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
is there any point any more? most people dont hand write most things, and those who do, most often print. is it really worth it to teach them how to do the same thing, just in a different way?
True. It's a shame that it's passing into history, but it's easier to print in the rare cases you need to write a note these days. Nobody writes papers, books, letters, etc., anymore. You type those on a keyboard, or text them on a cell phone. I've forgotten how to write some letters of the alphabet in script, it's been so long.

Same here. I have horrible handwriting to begin with, but the fact that I rarely have to write anything other than a few brief notes has made handwriting a real chore. Other than my signature, I have not used cursive in many years. Should I need something written "pretty", I have a wife for that.....

Now with even more aplomb
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Unfortunately, they're going to pick up curse words along the way, but I don't see why anybody thinks it should be taught in schools. That someone can even ask this question shows how far in a hole our society has fallen.

The wonders of a public education, on full display.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

The wonders of a public education, on full display.

Well at least when I was in school, they didn't teach us things like that. Good grief. I mean, you obviously heard stuff, and necessarily did some cursive reading when it showed up in books, but actually teaching us kids to write it? That's nuts.

If you really think that's a good idea, then I think that says all I need to know. Especially paired with your "Romance languange" thing up there aways - do you think "Romance" and all that is something else that ought to be taught in schools? frown

Last edited by Pine_Tree; 08/19/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well at least when I was in school, they didn't teach us things like that. Good grief. I mean, you obviously heard stuff, and necessarily did some cursive reading when it showed up in books, but actually teaching us kids to write it? That's nuts.

If you really think that's a good idea, then I think that says all I need to know. Especially paired with your "Romance languange" thing up there aways - do you think "Romance" and all that is something else that ought to be taught in schools? frown

I can't decide if you're really a brilliant tongue-in-cheek comedian, or someone who just doesn't have a clue. I think I'll opt for the first.

Cursive writing... I wish I'd have thought of that! grin

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

I can't decide if you're really a brilliant tongue-in-cheek comedian, or someone who just doesn't have a clue. I think I'll opt for the first.

Penny

Exactly. Head scratching, at a minimum.

I certainly hope you're right, Penny. But, I have my doubts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. It's a waste of time.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes... it's a big world. they will not always a keyboard

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Penny

From reading previous post's by Pine Tree, I'm pretty sure opting for the first is a good call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
should our children be tought cursive writing in school?

Yes, if there's any chance that for the rest of their lives, they might on occasion want to read their own scribbling.
(notes, grocery lists, to-do lists, check records, etc)

How to hold a pen or a pencil is worth teaching 'em, too.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I was not taught cursive in school I would not be able to do my job. It requires that I am able to read historical documents, old deeds and government patents. All written in the old script style cursive. Without this skill the documents might as well be written in Japanese as I would be just as lost either way.

Example of a document

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cursive outdated?

Dang, next you'll tell me that my lp collection and typewriter are obsolete. Fortunately I still have my large collection of vhs and 8-track cassettes to see me through this crisis.

Actually, I do think that cursive is an important skill.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by chuck_tree
Cursive outdated?

Dang, next you'll tell me that my lp collection and typewriter are obsolete. Fortunately I still have my large collection of vhs and 8-track cassettes to see me through this crisis.

Actually, I do think that cursive is an important skill.

Just as all students should have a few years of music and team sports
If for nothing else, but to learn to practice and improve.

Only one in a million will ever NEED to swing a ball bat or throw or catch a foot ball
or play a trombone.

But its the learning experience.

As summer camp teaches one everything to get along.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are we actually having this discussion? Honestly? I write something in cursive every single day. Whether it is signing a check, or making a note in the margin to my secretary. Really, can a person even be said to be literate if they can't read and write cursive script? I don't think so. And, granted, it's been going on two decades since I did any serious academic work, but I think they still give exams with Blue Books and pens nowadays. Good luck trying to answer a half a dozen essay questions in two hours writing in block script.

Honestly, I lament my lack of education, even though by today's standards in the United States, it is a pretty good one and I have an advanced degree. If there were any options short of sending my child to a boarding school I would make sure my child got a classical education and at least learned the rudiments of Latin, Greek, rhetoric, etc..

Anyone that doubts that there is a more or less conscious effort to dumb down our country should consider questions like this. Every electronic device or computer in the country could be more or less disabled at an instant on the orders of someone you've never seen, and then where would we be if we couldn't even write? We would be absolutely incapable of communication beyond the most rudimentary means.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by heavywalker
If I was not taught cursive in school I would not be able to do my job. It requires that I am able to read historical documents, old deeds and government patents. All written in the old script style cursive. Without this skill the documents might as well be written in Japanese as I would be just as lost either way.

Example of a document

[Linked Image]
laugh Is that Sanskrit?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

730 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,782
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.