-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CCI .22 short HPs shoot almost as well as match ammo out of my single-shot Stevens 44 1/2 match rifle out to 50 yds and are hell on anything they hit - bunnies, squirrels, p-dogs, flickertails, crows, you name it. They are by far my favorite round for hunting, but the CCI sub-sonic hollow point long rifles are just as good and a little quieter. I'm shooting up my shorts supply and buying the sub-sonics.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys, Nice report Dan, can you elaborate on that skull cleaning/bleaching job? Thanks much.

Selmer, have used RP Subsonic's years ago, they were quiet, did not know the LR can be quieter than the short but that's good to know. Been awhile since I tried any.

Thanks again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The class answer is a Browning Automatic chambered for .22 Shorts with a Leupold RF scope. So I don't have one.

My experience with a 24-in. Springfield is the CB Shorts and Longs are very quiet (finger snap). Super Colibris are little more than the firing pin falling. CCI Subsonics are a very loud handclap but do tremendous tissue damage and are scary accurate.

As noted in another thread I need to get the Paco tool out and fool with some CB Longs.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
65BR, I stripped on the hide and as much flesh as possible then put it in a large pot on a LP burner. Very low boil for about 2-3 hours then I scraped it down, flushed the brains and other crud out with a high pressure stream from the garden hose. Couple of hours followed in a strong peroxide (hair salon supply) solution then let it dry. Had to glue some teeth back in but otherwise it turned out as you see it. Works on deer for European mounts as well, but keep the antlers out of the peroxide or they will bleach out.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..how many pigs this summer Dan?

Still amazes me every time I see your pigs with Shorts...

Shorts was I killed all my rabbits and squirrels with back in the 60s...but once Long Rifles got cheaper than Shorts it was hard to justify buying them...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grand total of 1 since May. Lost a fight with a surgeon with a sharp knife last June and have been on a slow road to recovery. Most recent was about 3 weeks back, a sow of about 90#.

You're right about the cost of ammo and finding they would work on hogs was as much an accident as anything. I got the story tucked away somewhere, will post if I can located it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you ever have a chance to pick up a Winchester model 74 in 22 short. Jump all over it.... They have a 24 inch barrel and are a blast to shoot... mine holds 23 rounds in it.... load it up and go tree rat hunting and you have all the ammo you need and then some right in the gun.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks DD for the info on the skull, and the link, very informative.

Ironically, I was stunned when at a local range where I went to college, the target frames had 22 bullet sticking half in, yes, half the rear of the bullet would be sticking out the front of the target frame wood. I don't know what they were shot out of, perhaps short bbl handguns, and who knows if they went thru anything before hitting there, but perhaps the frames had some flex when hit and absorbed some energy. They looked to be full 40 gr lead, never dug them out, but it sure struck me odd and I wondered about that.

Hope your recovery goes quickly for you, and you keep those squealers in check smile

Oh, Sako, my father has a 72a, someday I may own it, but it's a LR chamber, but says shorts and longs also. Tube fed, grooved, looks fresh having a re-blue and stock finish decades back. Very nice those Wins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just caught this post. Back in the day, our local "gas station" sold .22 ammo. Shorts were $.25, longs were $.30, and LR's were $.40. We shot a lot of shorts. My best buddy's rifle was a Win Mod 63 that only shot shorts. It was sweet. My old JC Higgins bolt would shoot them all. KS had a law then that coon hunters had to carry shorts at night to try to prevent deer poaching.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got my first .22 rifle for Christmas...but now I can't remember if it was 1964 or 1966... Used to ask for Sears .22 Shorts for my birthday and Christmas and sometimes I'd also get a brick of Long Rifles. When you would load up that long barreled Model 39 Marlin with Shorts you could shoot for a LONG time.

Just bought a Marlin 39 again but this one is the 16.5" barreled Take Down Model with the padded case. Put a Williams peepsight on it yesterday...neat time to the range I'll have to bring the last of my Shots with me to try...

Bob

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Too funny, laws in KS, as if a Short well placed won't drop deer.

Bob, I noticed that model awhile back, is that new production or an older model that they made? Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 74 short only... My favorite 22 ever...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
65BR...yes that is an older model that brings big bucks... Usually in the $750.00 range. This one would have been mint in the case but the guys wife accidentally unplugged the dry-rod of the gunsafe and the outside of the barrel ended up with some rust spots. Just what I wanted...a gun I could not wreck. This little 16.5" barreled gun hold 11 Long Rifle and 15 Shorts. I think the 39A held 26 Shorts..

Did some .22 Short shooting on Thursday. I have I believe a Savage Model 63A, I'll have check again to be sure. It is a 60s vintage with no serial number... The gun has a full stock and was the first gun made for kids...actually has a key lock behind the trigger guard for parental control.

This has become my ".22 Short" gun because the extractor is weak and will not eject Long Rifle cases. I've had three different gunsmiths work on it to no avail...new extractor and all. So I use it for Shorts and CBs which it will eject 95% of the time. Scope is a 4 power Beeman SS2 Short Scope... Camera clear optics and worth several times what the gun is worth but the aluminum base stripped out so I had a machinist friend drill and tap new holes so it fits with this gun just perfectly.

Shooting was a lot of fun. I have some Remington "High Speed" left over from the purchase of a Winchester 69A I bought back about 1973...it came with a gallon pickle jar of .22 Shorts. I gave a friend of mine about a quart of them and have been slowly burning up the rest over the years. There was also a box of Winchester "Low Velocity" that have plain lead bullets. They were only a little louder than the CCI CB Long.

Shot the shorts out of the Marlin and the Savage at a steel swinger target about 30 yards out offhand...rarely missed... Next time out with them I try and chrono some... Pics coming as soon as I get my laptop back from maintenance...

Bob

ps...just looked at the wholesale price for .22 ammo...

CCI .22 Long Rifle MiniMag 40 grain Solid 100@$5.89

CCI .22 Short High Speed 29 grain Solid 100@$6.70

CCI .22 Long Rifle MiniMag HP 100@$6.10

CCI .22 Short HP 100@$6.95

Winchester Super-X 40 grain Solid 50@$2.58

Winchester Super-X .22 Short Solid 50@$2.94

Remington High velocity .22 LR Solid 100@$5.27

Remington High Velocity .22 Short Solid 100@$$5.90

So while a little more than the best quality .22 LR ammo it is still less expensive than the top end stuff like Velocitor & Stinger that is $5.18 a box of 50, or Winchester PowerPoint and SuperSpeed which is $6.50 a box of 100.

Find a friendly dealer and buy a case and it is even a little less per box...

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bob, shocked how even 22 ammo has risen over the years, the bulk packs at Wally World get most my plinking. Glad I bought a bunch of Mini Mags long ago, and a few bricks of early run Power Points. Alas, no shorts! When able, I want to fill the tube up on a BL22 like you do your Marlin. Will be fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
65BR,

Tried shorts in my CZ's and a couple of remingtons...the accuracy wasn't very good, not even close to accuracy with long rifles. The most accurate of the ones I tried(Rem, Win, Aguila & Aguila Match, CCI short, HP, & target) were the CCI Target's by far, But they are a solid.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used the shorts on my trapline as a kid, they worked on all head shots on coyotes, Javalina that got in traps, and even on a couple of Mt. Lions, penetration was good enough that I even shot a deer or two at close range in Mexico for our table. Two or three quick shots out of my Win. 63 and the deer made few tracks...That Win. 63 (marked 22 Long Rifle) would feed anything I ran through it and still will, not to shabby for and auto marked for 22 L.R. only, I don't know of any modern auto that will do that.

I guess I could have sold it for fortune to one of Croldforts coon hunting buddies to poach deer with! smile Maybe I still can! smile smile

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..was wondering where you shot the deer....lungs, heart, nech or head?

Thanks...Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by flinch444
My gosh, I must have shot a million 22shorts through my old western field 22 rifle as a kid. I dont remember any ill effects from it at all.

Well thats just the bullshit from the magnum this and magnum that crowd that spreads over everything.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by croldfort
I just caught this post. Back in the day, our local "gas station" sold .22 ammo. Shorts were $.25, longs were $.30, and LR's were $.40. We shot a lot of shorts. My best buddy's rifle was a Win Mod 63 that only shot shorts. It was sweet. My old JC Higgins bolt would shoot them all. KS had a law then that coon hunters had to carry shorts at night to try to prevent deer poaching.

WOW! That statement brought back a flood of memories. I too spent my youth in Ks.Little nothing town (Corwin),small general store sold "Peters High Velocity" .22 ammo at the staggering cost of $0.31 for a box of "shorts". State had a bounty on "crows"--$0.05 per head ( turned the heads in at the county Extension office) Mink farm down the road payed $0.30 for cottentails, and $0.50 for jack rabbits.Young fellow with a Model 72 Winchester could make damned good money back in those days (minimum wage was less than $1.00 per hr.) I still have the 72. Things sure have changed--and personally IMO, not for the better, but that rifle still puts the meat on the table.

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.