-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The fact that the coach yelled to move the ball to confuse the other team even more,is amazing... That coach isn't about anything but winning and sports just aren't about that.... Doing the right thing might not be the most popular thing sometimes... Coaches should be better than that...

+1

What folks ain't getting is that for that age group (12-13 yo fer chrissakes!), most any supervising adult intervening in the middle of things to stop a play IS part of the rules.

Watch it again and look at the body language of the kids on the defensive line, they ain't being "fooled" by the opposing team, they are following instructions from an adult. In context this is no different than if the coach who called out had been a referee.

I don't blame the coach of the defending side, no one would reasonably expect an opposing Middle School coach to be that pathetic. While it was happening he probably thought the opposing coach had raised a legitimate objection too.

Anyhoo... the offending coach will pay, that play and his role in it will follow him around. I ain't even met the guy and I think he's a prick already.

I'll bet the coach, his Principal and the Superintendent of the district are gonna get some choice emails as this thing goes viral.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think it was a chickenshitt play.

Just cuzz something is 'legal' don't mean it's right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chickenshitt. That the coach yelled out,"the ball has to be moved 5 yards" makes it indefensible.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would love to have seen that qb get pounded by the linebacker when he walked up...

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by double tap
According to news reports (NY Daily News), Driscoll was trailing Wynn Seale middle school 0-6 in the third quarter and had just been called for a penalty. As the next play began, the quarterback looked to the sidelines and then yelled to his team the officials needed to move the ball five more yards to the correct spot after the penalty. He then asked his center for the ball, and the rest is history. The game ended in a 6-6 tie.

Coach Art Rodriguez called the play, known to his team as the "Penalty Play," one of the highlights of his 31-year coaching career.

If this is truly how the play transpired, I feel even more strongly this was a chicken-schitt play designed more to swell the egos of the coaches than to broaden the skill levels and sportsmanship of his players.

Nice job coach Rodriguez...

Chris

Agreed
Basic football fundimentals 101 :
Two teams face off, ( check) the center hands the ball to the QB ( check) Qb attempts to advance said football over the opponemenrts goal line ( check)

Defense got caught with it's mouth open, period.

I coached T ball for years and we taught the rules of the game.
I wish I had tape of my teams infield triple play.

Knowledge of basic rules won the game.

This play is geting legs, and is being linked everywhere

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

This play is geting legs, and is being linked everywhere

Yep, and I'm a member of a coaches forum. The overwhelming majority acknowledge this is "legal" and also chickenschit. This type of play comes up for discussion there all the time. Not among those that just got beaten by it. Coaches that pull this type schit...may have been in the game for a long time, but they don't earn any respect for winning this way, or in this case tying...which, to me, makes it even worse..."y'all had us beat straight up the entire game, but we pulled some bush league schit to make sure nobody won"

War Damn Eagle!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by WGM
I don't care what anyone says, that was a GREAT call by the team that ran the "trick play" ... and here's why:

Any play that is legal and within the rules of the game is acceptable and appropriate.

If you're not using everything within the rules of the game to your advantage, you're leaving something on the table. Sometimes the other team might be able to out-muscle you no matter how hard you try ... but that doesn't mean you're "chicken schitt" for using your brains to beat them ...

Now, at that level of football, I can see how some might think it would be inappropriate to run such a play ... but that begs the question of where you draw the line. Is a fake field goal too 'tricky'? What about the kind of play where a team kicks off to another, and the guy that catches the ball "meets up" with the other back and they "huddle" for a moment and then split up, making the kicking team have to figure out who has the ball?

As for the specific play in this thread, the defense that just sat there and watched the QB walk thru them with the ball is either VERY poorly coached, brain-dead, or both ... IMHO it's the coach of the other team that is most at fault for not making sure his players know that once the offense is 'set', and the ball is moved off the ground that it's a live ball, and you better be doing something to stop the guy with the ball ...

Exactly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
there's a big difference between legal and moral rules for adults too.

I try to follow the moral rules even if it means ignoring the legal rules on occassion.

In life as well as in sports, the rules define what is "moral".

The rules define what "trick" plays are not allowed.

Intelligence is what makes Football such a great sport. It takes more than brawn to win.

If you want to watch a sport that is purely a physical contest, go watch some Arm Wrestling.

Last edited by BarryC; 11/09/10.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to say, if you can't teach kids to expect the unexpected, your simply grooming sheep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Got to say, if you can't teach kids to expect the unexpected, your simply grooming sheep.

Under different circumstances I be inclined to agree...

...but them kids weren't outwitted by a clever ruse by the opposing team, they were following instructions from a supervising adult.

So I dunno what lessons they learned... to disrespect authority? that adults will lie to you?

Even sadder, them kids celebrating in the end zone like something heroic had just happened frown

Just my $0.02

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by RWE

Valid point. The fact no LB'er drilled the QB the second he crossed the neutral zone, makes the defense look as poorly coached, as the play itself makes the Offensive coach look like a d!ck.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The ball was lifted off the ground (snap) and handed to the QB, who advanced the ball.

There was no whistle, so it was LIVE ball.

The defensive coach pooched it by not having his kids tackle the SOB.

Live ball, advanced = tackle. Period.

Regardless of what ANY coach says on the sidelines, once the ball is set, the ONLY person that can call a play dead or give reposition instructions without a play running is an official.

Legal play, within the rules, and caught the defense flat-footed.

Just because it doesn't LOOK like a "standard play", doesn't mean it's not a play.

When the ball is lifted, it's snapped. Hit the SOB with the ball, unless/until the whistle is blown to end the play.

Pretty simple.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by RWE

Valid point. The fact no LB'er drilled the QB the second he crossed the neutral zone, makes the defense look as poorly coached, as the play itself makes the Offensive coach look like a d!ck.

No disagreement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that way of thinking is just WRONG!

The only right way is for the QB to announce, in a loud, clear voice, exactly what the upcoming play is going to be.

Play fair, boys. No sneakin.' grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking outside the box for sure. And teaches a hard lesson in knowing the rules of the game.

Kobayashi Maru anyone?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fun to watch for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Yes!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The ball was lifted off the ground (snap) and handed to the QB, who advanced the ball.

There was no whistle, so it was LIVE ball.

The defensive coach pooched it by not having his kids tackle the SOB.

Live ball, advanced = tackle. Period.

Regardless of what ANY coach says on the sidelines, once the ball is set, the ONLY person that can call a play dead or give reposition instructions without a play running is an official.

Legal play, within the rules, and caught the defense flat-footed.

Just because it doesn't LOOK like a "standard play", doesn't mean it's not a play.

When the ball is lifted, it's snapped. Hit the SOB with the ball, unless/until the whistle is blown to end the play.

Pretty simple.

Pretty much sums it up. Sucks that the coach didn't install it in their heads about "ball in play".
Maybe we shouldn't keep score and give them all medals for just showing up.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Of course folks are taking it from one extreme to another which it typical.

Congratulations, you just tricked a 13 year old. Must be the same satisfaction some get from screwing a retard.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This comment is directed at nobody in particular, but:

I find it ironic the way some have conducted themselves here in a discussion about sportsmanship. Wow. Just wow...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those dang cinders in other people's eyes are always a problem.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.