Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257wby
I use the Tones chicken base...I start with 2 teaspoons and taste from there...definately don't want to get too salty. You can always add.
That sounds about right. Did you mean the recipe to have 2T (capital "T" like in tablespoon)? That's what's written.

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The original recipe calls for two tablespoons of granules.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mario Batali, I'm not, but here goes!

[Linked Image]

After shoveling the snow this morning, I got about to making the family Sunday dinner. I so wanted to do this with a nice roast with pan drippings to go over it, but I wound up with hamburger patties. I did rice pilaf, spinach with garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil and... onion pie.

I followed the recipe exactly. I bought gruyere cheese and everything. It took quite a while to cook down two pans of onions, but I got everything together and in the oven.

It was very good. My Mom and her 4 Sisters all thought it was really good. They ate all the toasted baguette from the top and one put the onions and cheese on her hamburger. Go figure. With the cheese, I thought it tasted exactly like French onion soup.

I'm going to push my rod and gun club to suggest we serve it with our venison course at our game dinner. It is really good. Thank you for the recipe.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Rob, glad it passed muster!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I too "broke the bank" for the cheese. It was $9 for a half pound. I had a little bit of cheddar from making apple, cheddar and bacon muffins and threw it on too. The gruyere makes it though. I'm dying to hear what the other folks working on it this weekend think. I think the recipe came out nice.

[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had good intentions, bought all the ingredients, with the exception of milk, but I've been craving a pot roast, and didn't make it back to the store for it. So, tomorrow night is the night. Have to go to the store after work anyway, so I'm hoping...

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rob p
I too "broke the bank" for the cheese. It was $9 for a half pound. I had a little bit of cheddar from making apple, cheddar and bacon muffins and threw it on too. The gruyere makes it though. I'm dying to hear what the other folks working on it this weekend think. I think the recipe came out nice.
In the cheese cooler, they want $19.99/lb for Swiss Gruyere. I went over and asked the counterwoman if they had any domestic. She said they did...for $13.99/lb. It was over $8 or $9 for the hunk. I agree; it makes it.

What sized pan?

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Additionally, I better make this soon, otherwise, I'll need to get another bottle of wine! blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SSE

I can't believe you are letting me off the hook that easy. You feeling sorry for this fancophone challenged old man?

1/2 pound of Gruyere cost me $11.00 so you guys got off easy. I used an aged cheese which melted well but had full flavour.

Miss Lynn

Great discussion on history etc of the cheese. I like that kind of insight.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They had a travel special on WGBH a couple days ago on the Swiss Alps. They went to a couple cheese makers. One had a restaurant and the guy was having a bratwurst, braised cabbage, and a pot of fondue. The guy asked what kind of cheese it was and the waitress said it was Gruyere and white wine. She also said it was a "gift from the French." I wonder how they got to making it in Switzerland. I know they make fontina and use it in fondue, and I believe that's Italian!

I tell you, forget about India. Forget about the happy cows of California. If your a cow, you want to be a cow in Switzerland. Watching them grazing in the meadows with wreaths around their necks and pretty bells. It's a beautiful picture.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Didn't know there was such a thing as domestic Gruyere, due to my philosophy on such things I'll go without. Used to get it for as low as 7 bucks per pound, so a good size hunk wasn't too bad. If I were to choose my fave slice and eat cheese, that would be it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You feeling sorry for this fancophone challenged old man?

Not really, I just don't have the bar set too high for ya...LOL

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hey, Rob, you look just like your avatar. grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rob p

[Linked Image]
I love gruyere. I have a gourmet cheese place near me, and often pick up some of it for making French Onion Soup.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
byc is going to Japan! dvdegeorge was on deck, and is filling in and atvalaska is on deck. Thanks all. Let's hope we all stick with it.

I had the onion pie again tonight and have come to the conclusion that you have to stuff as much bread on top as possible because they will take it all. I spread the left over onions, covered the top with bread and toasted it again. They ate all but about 2 tablespoons of the onions and that's going on my sandwich for lunch.

I wonder if you could get artsy startsy and do this recipe upside down. Do like a Top Chef deconstruction. Put a bread round dipped in butter, sprinkle with cheese, put the onion mix on top and put it under the broiler. Serve as a canape. Whoo wee, just might have to break out the cloth napkins.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hey, Rob, you look just like your avatar. grin

More and more every day.

I hit return a few times so the pic wouldn't be right next to it because it creeped me out a little too. It's getting to be about time to call 1-800 Jenny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, Rob, Check the fly fishing forum for a new post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
Lynn, all recipes are suggestions! Try a non-alcoholic wine or just leave it out. It still tastes great without the wine. I mean really, it's onions, butter and cheese...lol...what else do you need?

Enjoy
bacon! wink lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hey medic, I pawned the last good size chunk of Gruyere I had. Due for redemption soon. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my gruyere at Costco. Less than $10/lb. Swiss made.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,748
Posts18,476,161
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.