Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 65BR

I am STILL waiting for you masterminds to come up with a proposed idea of a NEW RIFLE ROUND that WILL GUARANTEE a success in the marketplace.

Who wants to go first? LOL.

Marlin 1895 ... in the standard 22" barrelled rifle, the 18.5" Guide Guns and the CB models ... chamber to 50Alaskan or a derivative in 0.500" bore to get around 50cal restrictions. Also market a synthetic/ matte stainless Marlin with LimbSaver pads specifically as a 'new Guide Gun'. grin There's one suggestion on my drool list!

Again, for what it's worth ... I looked at a Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight a few days back, nice and light with a 20" barrel. Great price too!! But chambered to 270Win, I could see no reason to put up with the muzzle blast, so let it go despite being at a $200 discount. I must be a gun loony though as I'm considering a 338RCM instead. laugh

Again, for interests sake ... how many would buy a 25Souper if commercialized?
Cheers...
Con

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think? a 25 WSM could garner some interest amongst the general shooting/hunting market.
Sort of a 257 Roy with less expensive brass.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think it has to do so much with the downgrade of an equivalent caliber as it does with it being compatible with a short action...then if that's the case there's no need for the 7mm/08 with the 280..260 with the 264 or 308 with the 30/06.It's about puttin something tried and true in a more compact package... wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lets get some more my puzzy hurts threads about a scratch on a rifle also.

How's the job search going?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mathman, agreed.

Steelhead, sir, I know you have had some deep rooted pains from personal issues that gnaw on you, and I am happy that I can provide a punching bag for you to vent. I hope it is good therapy and your mental health improves. I do wish you a better future.

How did you know I got the clap from a NW Louisiana skank?

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The last thing we (shooters/hunters) need is another cartridge. If you can't get it done with the cartridges available, you've got FAR bigger problems than anything a "new cartridge" is going to solve.

How about just better utilization of the cartridges available?

How about making fast twist as a standard for smaller bore calibers, for one recommendation; 1-8", 1-9" for .224", .243", .257", minimum, as the new standard?

How about smaller, lighter platforms for many of the otherwise available rounds? Something like a mini-Mauser action with a 16.5"-20" tube (a la the Mark X MZ CZ/Interarms rifles) in a lightweight synthetic stock, with better rings/bases options so the whole thing comes in WELL under 6#, and in something like the 6mmPPCUSA round, and/or the 6.5Grendel, etc.?

How about honest-to-goodness "youth" versions of the standard rifles; i.e., a shorter LOP and tighter grip option on at least most if not all the "standard" rifle set-ups?

How about making USEFUL improvements to what we actually have and that can/does work well, instead of more BS cluttering up the background?

As far as the .277" bore on the '08 case, 65, just send what is VERY likely an M70 action in 7-08 to Pac-Nor or any other 'smith/barrelmaker of your choice, have them rebarrel it with a .277" tube, run a .243Win reamer up it's azz, stamp it ".270-08Win", or ".270OCD", or ".270WGAF", or whatever your pleasure, resize .308 or .243 brass to .277" using standard (but set SHORT) .270Win dies and go forth thinking yourself as the only enlightened rifle-soul on the planet? Obviously, any semblance of sense isn't going to percolate through your skull, so just go off into delusion and make the world your own personal puppet by having "the only True Grail", and rock on.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Mathman, agreed.

Steelhead, sir, I know you have had some deep rooted pains from personal issues that gnaw on you, and I am happy that I can provide a punching bag for you to vent. I hope it is good therapy and your mental health improves. I do wish you a better future.

How did you know I got the clap from a NW Louisiana skank?

Must have been a transplant from the northern states!!!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
As for my "action affection", I'll have to go cajole the Winchesters, Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, CZs, Mausers, pumps, levers, single-shots, FNs, semi-autos, and even Mossbergs, TCs, and Savages in house as to my apparent love affair with the single Remington bolt action in house....

You couldn't have missed by much more, but I'll give you credit for trying, though.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here is more of dipshitts rants, he ain't right in the head.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Pics_of_my_new_custom_actio#Post3958794

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
JFC................................

I swear, I think I'm going to have to shoot something in the face this weekend...

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hawk, no doubt, there CAN be no market for something that does not exist.

Coldbore, I had Pac-Nor do a 6.5-308 for me in 1995. Asquare as you may know applied for Saami, yet somehow things did not play out for Asquare even though they were first. Makes no difference to me, I OWN a Custom FULL BLOWN 260 Rem so Stamped on the bbl. I also have some RP brass.

I have said and agree the market is saturated. In 308 siblings, the 25 and 27 bore have yet to be standardized. Who knows if/when and who may do it.

As to my 'aspirations' to make a buck in the industry, I truly have none. I enjoy this OUTSIDE the commercial aspect. Being 'Inside' would take some fun factor out for me.

1. Let's make a SA cartridge that doesn't offer anything at all BC, speed or recoil wise over cartridges that already exist.
2. Let's make it first, then find a market? That, there is doubt about.
3. The .277 Billy Norris was a better idea; at least the market exists for waterheads.

Seems the bore was ignored largely by the Euros too, in the X57 case, prolly outta utter stupidity and lack of foresight...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

SC made FN Mod. 70 in 270-08 Winchester....I own the first one.

Least it smells that way...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - St. Matthews, SC, is one UGLY fuggin' town. A slight detour on the way back up from FL didn't take long to discover what is, and what ain't, there.

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
[quote=65BR]
Seems the bore was ignored largely by the Euros too, in the X57 case, prolly outta utter stupidity and lack of foresight...

Chinese knew about it ...
Cheers...
Con

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here ya go 65BR

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If you load the .270 down 100 fps with a good 130-140 grain bullet, such as a Barnes TTSX or Nosler E-Tip, it will kick like a 7mm-08 and neatly kill any elk or plains game.

The .270 Winchester is a pretty good version of the .270-08 AI. It's even popular in Africa!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
100% + ten!! Half the chit I kill nowdays which is mostly deer I could kill with my Swift...Stick and Steelie have got it right,"It ain't so much about headstamp but good boolits and shot placement." With all to choose from out there these days any failures must truely be hunter induced!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I think this suggested cartridge is one of those where, if you stumble across a good rifle in the caliber, at a good price, it will work nicely - but you wouldn't really go out of your way to obtain one. Sorta like a drilling I saw today, with the rifle barrel in 9.3x72R, and a very reasonable price. A 9.3x72R isn't something I'd build in a new rifle, but it in a drilling it would do the job on deer.

I have a good light rifle in .308. If I wanted something faster/flatter shooting in a light rifle, I'd probably look for a .270 WSM, or belly up to the bar for a .270 Win, Roy, or 7mm mag.
That's how I ended up with the 7 SAUM.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Coldbore - indeed we all here - Loony's who gravitate towards what works best for them, get opinionated. And MY opinion is as much as I like and use the 6.5-308 Winchester, have no expectations for it to ever become a staple round among the masses - when talking deer hunters.

The 243 has a niche for that large market - often as a round used for beginners/kids, etc. YET, how often do they want to 'graduate' to something larger, as if they feel the need to use a larger caliber? OFTEN. Most grown men would rather use a Larger than 24 bore, if anything for ego, let alone confidence. Granted the industry will sell 2 rifles this way, start them on a 243 and go to something larger, later.

Your talk about bullet choices in other calibers, great for handloaders, is I believe a non-issue for factory ammo guys. They don't need nor care to shoot 3 dozen different bullet weights and types, and will not. They want a round that has 2-3 bullets that do a darned good job at what they are hunting, IMHO.

I like, use, and have used alot of rounds regardless of headstamp. Being far more 'thinking' than the average deer hunter, the headstamp is meaningless to me. Not that I am smarter, but I am an 'enthusiast' where as most deer hunters just want to kill deer, they simply do not get into rifles and ballistics as we do and don't care to, as they just want to use something that works in a rifle that they like, that fits them well, and does the job.

Rem has the 260 and 7/08 and will see no reason to do a 27-08, NOR acknowledge any success to Winchester's 270. WHY do you suppose Rem named their SPC, '6.8mm' - just to be metric for the military? I am not so sure.

Winchester created the 270, (bore size) and the 243/308 Win rounds - both at either side of a 270-08, the 308 as you all know being the parent case.

Again, if the 270-08 does come out - I could care less if anyone uses it, but I view it as a viable round both ballistically and from a market niche standpoint.

NOBODY dared challenged John Barsness from speaking to why industries bring out new rounds, and drop them later after making a quick dollar, NOR anything else he says........I find that interesting. Not that I disagree, but it's funny why that is.

John Barsness clearly said, new rounds come out to occupy niches. And so it is MY idea of what niche a 270-08 would be in. Yet everyone here wants to change the meaning of everything I have said. Either lacking in reading, comprehension, or simply wanting to quickly jump on the bandwagon of 'lets slam this idea' - why? 'Just because others are, and I don't like it, and I don't want it' ignoring you guys here represent a minutia of consumers in the marketplace.

I am STILL waiting for you masterminds to come up with a proposed idea of a NEW RIFLE ROUND that WILL GUARANTEE a success in the marketplace.

Who wants to go first? LOL.

OH, VA, that's right, you spoke - sure it's no secret that Remington is not my favorite rifle action and I think that's a thorn in your side. Sorry you take it personally.

IMO the 270-08 already exists, the 7mm08, and the 260 rem. It would take equipment more sensitive than the human ear to discern the difference in muzzle blast, and more sensitive than ones shoulder to tell the difference in recoil. Any difference in trajectory or killing power would be on paper or in someones imagination. All three will fit in the identical rifles. I am sure there would be rifles sold if it was legitimized, but there were a few rifles sold in a few other now almost dead cartridges,like the 7 SAUM which, I own and would not have purchased had I not bought on a closeout and gotten for a very cheep price. You are trying to fill a niche that is already full.

Last edited by montanabadger; 12/28/10.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Here ya go 65BR

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If you load the .270 down 100 fps with a good 130-140 grain bullet, such as a Barnes TTSX or Nosler E-Tip, it will kick like a 7mm-08 and neatly kill any elk or plains game.

The .270 Winchester is a pretty good version of the .270-08 AI. It's even popular in Africa!

not a bad point. I shoot 130 grain Nos flat base seconds over 44 grains of RL15 a very light load, it shoots well in my rifle, have not killed anything with it yet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

that one bled over to several other forums, too

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.