Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 40 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 39 40
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What I find incredulous is that a Congresswoman would hold a Town Hall meeting in an open air parking lot. True, she should have been able to hold a meeting anywhere she desired and remained safe, but that just isn't the reality in this day of terrorism. We have seen that terror attacks are just as likely to involve mentally ill individuals, such as today's events, or those at Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, or an Omaha high school, as they are radical Islamic terrorists.

I am shocked by the carnage and completely at a loss to understand why the good Congresswoman chose her venue without regard to security. Such meetings are safer when held in meeting halls with controlled entrances where attendees can be screened for weapons. I appreciate that Congresswoman Giffords desired to be close to her constituents, a desire that embodies the highest principles of public service, yet I hope that all future meetings will pay proper diligence to security. No one should suffer murder or mayhem for the sake of public discourse, such heinous crimes go against everything our country was established to eliminate in society.

I pray that Congresswoman Giffords recovers fully without any deficit and is able to return to her duties as soon as possible. I also pray that Almighty God provides comfort and solace to the families of those who perished, and places His healing spirit upon those who are wounded in body and soul.

These are trying times. A time when a prayer for wisdom and divine guidance is our best defense against the powers arrayed against our nation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trying times indeed,

here's a clip of a "Town Hall",...Douglas Az, last July 10

Link: http://americanpatrol.com/WMV/GiffordsTWDouglas.wmv

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long Day, here in the land of "The Dry Heat"

Here's a synopsis,and a damned good look at the Media version of Von Claussvitz's "Fog of War" .....some are linked, and can be opened at:

www.americanpatrol.com

Chronologically read from the bottom up....sorry, just did not feel compelled to "Flip them", this will all be there tomorrow.

GTC

Capitol News Connection sc
Giffords shooting shocks lawmakers, staff
Washington -- Lawmakers and other workers on Capitol Hill are dismayed after a shooting rampage in Arizona Saturday morning that killed at least six people and wounded more than a dozen others, including Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. -- Soon after the news broke, someone dropped off a small bouquet of yellow flowers outside Giffords' Congressional office in the Longworth House Office Building...

Arizona Republic -- Phoenix
Witnesses recount 'chaos' at scene of Tucson shooting
It was supposed to be an informal event outside a Tucson supermarket to meet and chat with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords about any concerns constituents might have about the federal government. -- Giffords had held many of these Town Hall-style events in the past, but this was her first "Congress on Your Corner' of the New Year...

East Valley Tribune -- Phoenix
Reaction to attack on Gabrielle Giffords
U.S. House Speaker John Boehner: "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff. An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society..."

KTVK-TV -- Phoenix sc
Vigil held at State Capitol for Rep. Giffords, other victims of Tucson shooting
About 200 people took part in a candlelight vigil for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of a mass shooting in Tucson Saturday morning. -- The vigil was held at the State Capitol less than 12 hours after the shooting that killed six people, including a 9-year-old girl and a federal judge, and wounded 13 others...

KNXV-TV -- Phoenix
Giffords among lawmakers threatened last year
The wounding of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in a Tucson, Ariz., shooting spree that killed at least five people, including one of her aides and a federal judge, follows a dramatic increase in threats against members of Congress over the past year. -- In the first three months of 2010 alone, officials reported 42 threats to federal lawmakers...

Globe and Mail -- Toronto, Ont.
Dupnik: Second male sought in connection with Tucson shooting
Gabrielle Giffords, an outspoken Democrat congresswoman was gravely wounded after an assassin opened fire with a semi-automatic pistol at grocery store in Tucson Ariz., on Saturday. -- Police identified the suspected gunman as Jared Lee Loughner, 22. In a news conference on Saturday, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said he has "a troubled past"...

Detroit Free Press
Lawmakers, aides urged to take safety precautions
The U.S. Capitol Police force is advising members of the House and their aides to "take reasonable and prudent precautions" about their own security in the wake of a congresswoman's shooting in Arizona. -- In an e-mail obtained by The Associated Press, the Capitol Police say they are directly involved in the investigation of the shooting in Tucson, Ariz., of Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords...

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
CBP Commissioner issues statement concerning shootings in Tucson
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection family expresses our sadness after learning of the shooting involving U. S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Chief U.S. District Judge John M. Roll and others in Tucson today. Rep. Giffords has been a champion for border issues during her career, working side-by-side with CBP on many fronts...

KVOA-TV -- Tucson
Suspicious package found at Giffords' office
Tucson -- Police have confirmed that a suspicious package has been found outside Gabrielle Giffords' office, and a bomb squad is being called in to investigate. -- People holding a vigil outside the office have been pushed well away from the area, while the investigation determines the nature of this package, and what threat it may cause...

Associated Press
Sheriff: Shooter targeted Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
Tucson -- Law enforcement officials believe Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was the intended target of an armed attack in Tucson. -- Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said at a Saturday evening news conference that "I don't have information about whether she was the first person shot, but yes, I believe she was the target."

Reuters sc
Giffords had faced threats, vandalism previously
Representative Gabrielle Giffords, the lawmaker shot by a gunman in her Arizona district on Saturday, had previously warned that overheated political rhetoric had prompted violent threats against her and vandalism at her office. -- "It's important for all leaders... to say, 'Look, we can't stand for this," Giffords told MSNBC last March...

Sky News
U.S. Congresswoman critical after shooting
US Democratic congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords has been shot in the head during an event in Tucson, Arizona and is in a critical condition in hospital. -- Earlier there had been reports she died as a result of her injuries but a doctor at University Medical Centre confirmed she was alive and was "very optimistic of recovery"...

American Patrol Report
Video: Giffords at town hall meeting
U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shown here at meeting in Douglas, Arizona on July 10, 2010.

American Patrol Report
Shooting suspect identified
1:00 PM PST -- Fox News has announced that the name of the suspect is Jared Loughner, age 22. He is reportedly a white male. Also Judge Roll is the judge who ruled in favor of illegal aliens who sued a southeast Arizona rancher not long ago, according to Fox. -- A doctor at UMC, Tucson, reports that the congresswoman's prognosis is very optimistic.

Washington Post
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in critical condition after Tucson shooting
Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot and critically wounded Saturday morning while hosting an event outside a Tucson grocery store, according to local news reports, a tragic turn of events after an unusually heated campaign season...

American Patrol Report
Federal judge also shot dead at Tucson event
12:50 PM PST -- Fox News is reporting that Judge John Roll was shot and killed at the 'Congress on the Corner' event in northwest Tucson where U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head and gravely wounded. Several others also have been reported killed by the gunman. UPDATE: 12:53 PM: The death of Judge Roll has not been confirmed. -- UPDATE at 1:10 PM: The death of Judge Roll has been confirmed.

London Telegraph
Obama says Gabrielle Giffords shooting 'an unspeakable tragedy'
Miss Giffords, 40, a Democrat congresswoman, was shot in the head at a public event in Tucson, Arizona. An aide to Miss Giffords was killed and at least ten people injured. -- A lone gunman described as a white man in his late teens or early twenties opened fire at a "Congress on Your Corner" event outside a supermarket in the city...

American Patrol Report
Update from Tucson on shooting of Rep. Giffords
12:15 PM PST -- According to KVOA-TV in Tucson, not only in Giffords alive, she was talking when she went into surgery. This report reached KVOA from a friend of Giffords who is at the hospital where she is being treated.

KGUN-TV -- Tucson
Conflicting reports in Giffords shooting
11:42 AM PST -- Channel 9, Tucson, just reported that Gabrielle Giffords is alive and in critical condition.

KVOA-TV -- Tucson
Reports indicate 6 were killed, 12 injured at Tucson event
11:25 AM PST -- Sources tell News 4 that 13 people are shot, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and six people are dead after a man opened fire at a northside political event held by the Tucson congresswoman. -- No confirmation on Giffords' condition at this time [update on this], but sources at the scene confirm that the shooter is in custody...

Mediaite
Report: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords killed after point-blank shooting In Tucson
11:16 AM PST -- After being shot "point-blank" in the head by a gunman at a public constituent event, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has passed away, according to NPR. Giffords represented the 8th District of Arizona and was known as a moderate Democrat particularly involved in the border control issues...

KVOA-TV -- Tucson
Update on Gabrielle Giffords shooting situation
11:05 AM PST -- Seven people, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords have been injured during shooting at a Northwest side grocery store. -- It happened this morning at the Safeway near Oracle and Ina Roads. News 4 has a crew on the scene and we are gathering information at this time...

Breaking News
U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords shot at N. Tucson event
10:31 AM PST -- This per the Fox News Channel. Three staff members were also reportedly shot at a Safeway store at Oracle and Ina Roads in Tucson. [Related video]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Damn, this sure brought out the loonies.

This, and other events of the nature, are more damaging to the right of lawful citizens to bear arms than all the rantings of the myriad anti-gun cabals. Let us hope he is not an NRA member with a CCW.

What we have here is a perfect storm: a white rightwing nutcase attacks a liberal Congresswoman using a handgun with a high cap magazine in gun friendly Arizona. This is what the Antis live for. Stand back and brace for recoil.

Best thing we can do is to loudly condemn the shooter as a deranged rightwing nutcase, another Timothy MacVeigh.

This is not going to be pretty.

What you say has nothing to do with the facts : the shooter has been clearly identified as a strong leftist.

The strategy you recommend is dangerously absurd.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by Barak

I'm not going to say it was right for this particular congresswoman and judge to be shot; but however right or wrong it was, it was more wrong for the other people and the little girl to be shot.

In other words you are saying it is more justifiable to shoot a congress person or a judge than a bystander?

Why? Is it your position that it's more justifiable to shoot the bystander? If he'd missed the politicians but shot a bunch of other folks and the little girl, would your reaction be, "Whew! Terrible thing, but at least the public officials are okay!"?

Gah.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Are you one of the bystanders? That would certainly change my view of it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crosshair
I think you do, I used to have the tag GarryC here. We have conversed many times about these matters.

Hey--I didn't know that. I had wondered where garryc had gotten off to. I feel like saying, "It's nice to see you back," even though of course you haven't gone anywhere.

Originally Posted by crosshair
However, it's just as true that because you do what you do and know what you know, you could never do what I do.

Don't be too sure of that. Fact is if I get a chance to speak of Christ I do. I also make sure there is a bible provided when the inmate asks for it when I'm working the hole.

I wasn't questioning your witness.

But I'll bet that as a CO you can't let yourself develop a close relationship with a prisoner or become personally involved in his life the way we can. As I understand things, it'd be a dereliction of your duty, as well as physically dangerous to you, as well as practically impossible in at least a few cases (which would probably turn out to be the most important ones), given what you know about the prisoners.

Now, in defense of your point, I know of at least one active-duty CO, an active-duty warden, a retired warden, and an active-duty deputy warden who have been Kairos volunteers--and reasonably effective ones--but never at their own prisons.

Even the two super-COs I mentioned earlier wouldn't dare volunteer at their own prisons.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Are you one of the bystanders?

Spend my time, go out in the cold, stand around in a parking lot somewhere, all to listen to a politician?

Surely you can't be serious.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
But, were Loughner the speaker.....

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sheesh!

Now we know beyond any faint glimmer of doubt that no post, no subject, is immune from inane argument, condemnation, and cheap shots.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barak
My wife does not hunger after coercive power over others. She does not claim a monopoly over the initiation of force. She does not commit acts that would be instantly identified as crimes if they came from any source other than government. She does useful things for which she is voluntarily compensated by people who freely choose to hire her.

In short, she is not a politician.

She is morally superior to a politician.

(A tapeworm is morally superior to a politician: it does survive parasitically on its host's essence, the same way a politician does, but at least it's not corrupt.)

I'm not going to say it was right for this particular congresswoman and judge to be shot; but however right or wrong it was, it was more wrong for the other people and the little girl to be shot.

Wow. That's [bleep] up.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a politician does not make you more important than a bystander. Being a bystander does not make you more important than a politician. A human life is a human life. one is not more justifiable then the other. For you(Barak) to hint that one is more justafiable then the other is sad. Read the word and understand it. Jesus would not have acted in this manner or would want you to act in this manner.
Maybe we are all taking your words out of context, maybe you need to correct them. However you seem to be sticking to your guns so I doubt we have taken your words out of context.
It is sickening to see you right those words. Sure Gabby was a politician, sure she knew the risk, sure we all know she isn't perfect, but she is still a daughter, a mother and most of all one of God's creation. She was a victim of a crime. Regardless of what she is or has done,she didn't deserve to be shot, judge Roll didn't deserve to be killed. The public and others involved didn't deserve this. The little girl that still had her whole life in front of her didn't deserve this. None is more important than the other. They are equally important. It is sad to see you say that someone deserved this. No one did!

I've never had an issue with you, but I do have an issue with how you are coming off in this thread. You are wrong and in a sense just as bad as the dirt bag that committed this crime because you are justifying part of his actions.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But I'll bet that as a CO you can't let yourself develop a close relationship with a prisoner or become personally involved in his life the way we can. As I understand things, it'd be a dereliction of your duty, as well as physically dangerous to you, as well as practically impossible in at least a few cases (which would probably turn out to be the most important ones), given what you know about the prisoners.

Now, in defense of your point, I know of at least one active-duty CO, an active-duty warden, a retired warden, and an active-duty deputy warden who have been Kairos volunteers--and reasonably effective ones--but never at their own prisons.

The best I can do is a nudge. Sharing his pain isn't an option. Ministering to him isn't an option. Praying with him is not an option. Just an occasional word, a flicker of light.

Of course if he later gets stupid it's a face full of pepper gas and a trip to the floor. Don't cross the line, the inmate makes the choice of dealing with Mr. Crosshair or officer Crosshair. Even my snitches know I won't give them slack.

Originally Posted by Enrique
Being a politician does not make you more important than a bystander. Being a bystander does not make you more important than a politician. A human life is a human life. one is not more justifiable then the other. For you(Barak) to hint that one is more justafiable then the other is sad. Read the word and understand it. Jesus would not have acted in this manner or would want you to act in this manner.
Maybe we are all taking your words out of context, maybe you need to correct them. However you seem to be sticking to your guns so I doubt we have taken your words out of context.
It is sickening to see you right those words. Sure Gabby was a politician, sure she knew the risk, sure we all know she isn't perfect, but she is still a daughter, a mother and most of all one of God's creation. She was a victim of a crime. Regardless of what she is or has done,she didn't deserve to be shot, judge Roll didn't deserve to be killed. The public and others involved didn't deserve this. The little girl that still had her whole life in front of her didn't deserve this. None is more important than the other. They are equally important. It is sad to see you say that someone deserved this. No one did!

I've never had an issue with you, but I do have an issue with how you are coming off in this thread. You are wrong and in a sense just as bad as the dirt bag that committed this crime because you are justifying part of his actions.

Kique

From the reading I've done it seems that her positions on boarder security were spot on. Not as aggressive as I would like to see, but not typical DP positions.

Last edited by crosshair; 01/09/11.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Sheesh!

Now we know beyond any faint glimmer of doubt that no post, no subject, is immune from inane argument, condemnation, and cheap shots.

Agreed.

The cheap shots are particularly annoying and distasteful.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The guy who committed these unspeakable acts today was just a little further down the road, that's all. You just have to hope that when they finally blow you're nowhere near them.

Actually, I've already been through that stage and come out the other side. I'm actually further down the road than he is. There was a span of maybe three months or so a few years back when it's only by the grace of God that I didn't set my affairs in order, withdraw a bunch of savings, toss a rifle in the truck, drive to Washington, and pot me as many politicians as I could before they got me.

But my perspective is considerably more mature now, because of two points that were revealed to me.

First, it's not useful to be angry at politicians for being corrupt human trash, any more than it would be useful to be angry at fish for swimming or birds for flying. They're politicians; it's who they are and what they do. Anger stems from unmet expectations, and anyone who expects politicians to be anything other than gilded scum is a fool.

Second, when a politician is assassinated, three things happen: he becomes a martyr, with everybody saying how great he was and how sad it is that he's dead (you can see that right here on this thread); and he simply gets replaced with another politician. The depravity of human nature assures that there will always be more garbage standing in line to take his place. Then, of course, the martyr-worshipers beg the State to take more of their liberties away so that their rulers can be safer.

So no, I won't be flying into any rages and killing any politicians. My objective is to suck power away from the State, not to hand it more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hitler had his Reichsstag fire for slaughtering the Communists and the Lib/Progressives will try to make Rep. Gifford's wounding
serve their purposes.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'm surprised that anyone would expect anything different from Barak on this subject.

It doesn't take long, if you're paying attention, to realize that Barak is nowhere close to mentally right.

Perhaps now some other folks will start seeing more of his true colors.

Wait until he latches onto the fact the Rep. Giffords is married to an active-duty military officer as well.

As for the real subject of this thread (before it started getting hijacked to Barakistan and lunacy), I continue to pray that Mrs. Giffords and all the victims of this incident, have a full and speedy recovery; that the dead are mourned and their families consoled; and that the perpetrator meets swift justice.

Beyond that, I hope that we as a people can recognize this as the actions of a lunatic, nothing more than that; and that we do not kid ourselves about being protective of liberties instead of more quickly moving to indentify such lunatics among us, for their protection and our own.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 the man who did this was a drug user and insane, I don't know if he had a criminal record. I prefer to focus on the hope that perhaps the congress woman will make a complete recovery and offer my absolute condolences to the families that lost their loved ones. For the man that did it, if a criminal how did he get a pistol in the first place? Then justice and execution for murdering all of these people no matter who they were.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Haven't read, nor have the time to read, all the above posts.. But IMHO Barak has gotten to the point of either borderline madness or intentional board provocation.. In any case, as I stated a few weeks ago, I had at one time some respect for him.. That's history and he's best ignored and not responded to..

That said, in one way I'm sort of surprised it's taken this long to have a shooting event like this.. When you have an unheeding, uncaring out-of-control leftist, socialist government that is ON RECORD as legislating in full disregard of the majority of their consituents, why is the outcome so surprising??

IMVHO, this tragedy rests directly on the shoulders of Pelosi, Reid and especially the Liar In Chief himself. I will bet a million to one that not one of those three will 'man up' and take responsibility..

Off to church now and pray for those poor souls in AZ...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Damn, this sure brought out the loonies.

This, and other events of the nature, are more damaging to the right of lawful citizens to bear arms than all the rantings of the myriad anti-gun cabals. Let us hope he is not an NRA member with a CCW.

What we have here is a perfect storm: a white rightwing nutcase attacks a liberal Congresswoman using a handgun with a high cap magazine in gun friendly Arizona. This is what the Antis live for. Stand back and brace for recoil.

Best thing we can do is to loudly condemn the shooter as a deranged rightwing nutcase, another Timothy MacVeigh.

This is not going to be pretty.
I typically just skim most of your stuff because quite frankly, it's not worthwhile. I missed your next-to-last sentence earlier. From every piece of evidence I've seen, the guy was a Left-Wing whacko. Spinning him as any sort of right-winger would be dishonest, not to mention damaging to our cause. You are a dangerous idiot.

Page 16 of 40 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 29aholic, 58 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,269
Posts18,504,970
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.