Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I agree with Jeff O we need a center/right candidate who can convince Independents to vote for him. I'm talking about a fiscal conservative who can downplay if not ignore the social stuff.

Any candidate needs the lion's share of the that large, politically unsophisticated mob that lebels themselves, "moderate" and "independent". Not to pander to that large part of the electorate is political suicide.
The record is replete with examples of your ideal Republican getting their asses handed to them because they failed to excite the base. If you cannot learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let me translate JeffO for you all seeing as how I don't dislike JeffO the way most of you do.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
In fact I think the only way the Repub's WIN is to field a centrist candidate. Not McCain though! eek A fiscally conservative centrist who isn't in bed with the religious Right.

A conservative who wants to cut government spending, balance the budget, and cut taxes to get the private sector going again. More Liberal in the liberty and freedom department. More Liberal in recognizing that many of us are NOT Christians and do not think that Christianity and the Christian God are the answer to everything.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
They lose if they overplay the family values/God/culture war card. A culture-war conservative will NOT get elected.

IMHO. Not saying that to be an azzhole; it's just my opinion.

Family values: We all have family values BUT NOT all family values are Christian.

God: Not all of us believe in the Christian God. Play the "there is only one God and he is Christian" is a loser with many of us.

Culture: There are many religious and secular cultures in America. Play the "there is only one culture in America and it's Christian" and you lose.

War: A candidate who advocates nation/empire building through war is a loser to some of us.

A culture-war Conservative: Jeff meant two seperate items here.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

DD---I don't often agree with you but I sure agree with your last post.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spanky ,Hawkeye ,and Derby ...... that's how the last three posts line up .

Be good to save'em and do the polar opposite of anything tbe three of them agree on and dis-regard their individual opinions .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Be good to save'em and do the polar opposite of anything tbe three of them agree on and dis-regard their individual opinions .

Well .... I'll be damned if Spanky didn't prove my point while I was typing out my post !grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I don't believe you're correct. "Culture war" is a buzz term of the left, meant to marginalize anyone who opposes the efforts of the left to use the power of centralized government to engage in social engineering on the American culture.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

DD---I don't often agree with you but I sure agree with your last post.
That should give him a great deal of pause.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't believe you're correct. "Culture war" is a buzz term of the left, meant to marginalize anyone who opposes the efforts of the left to use the power of centralized government to engage in social engineering on the American culture.

In Jeff's original post there was a hyphen between culture-war. That usually indicates to seperate items. Based on Jeff's post and knowing Jeff I think that's what he meant. I could be wrong.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I'm enough of an elitist that I do not find it difficult to give credit when credit is due.

Strive to emulate me and eschew your childish ways.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Disagree all you want but a radical Christian right winger Neocon Republican is a loser against Obama.

A radical left winger Neocon Republican is a loser against Obama.

Only a Constitutionalist's centrist's Republican who is right of center on fiscal issues and a wee left of center on social issues and doesn't believe nation/empire building war stands a chance of beating Obama.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

DD---Sorry my last post was not directed at you. You are (usually) a gentleman and a scholar unlike most of your cohorts.

www.paracay.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

DD---Sorry my last post was not directed at you. You are (usually) a gentleman and a scholar unlike most of your cohorts.

I figured that. smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I figured that. smile
So, you agree with Spanky's post above? wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

If Romny runs, he has an honest to goodness chance. Romny can light up the center and get those center votes that are so needed. Problem is, he has a hard time exciting the base, because he's too centrist for the tastes of Republicans, so Romny's biggest challenge is getting the nomination.

Romney doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being elected.
Can you say "RomneyCare"?

I could just see him running against 0bama. He couldn't say schit about 0bamaCare because all 0bama would have to say is "0bamacare is a bipartisan effort at healthcare reform that was in part modeled after RomneyCare" and he'd be right and Mitt couldn't retort with schit.

See, nobody will vote for a fake Democrat like Romney when they can vote for an honest-to-God one like 0bama. McCain clearly illustrated that in the last presidential. If Republicans are going to win they will have to run and honest-to-God Republican, not a Democrat-lite.
When Romny receives the nomination, just remember you said that. Hey, I don't like the guy, but he's the leading contender at this point, and he'll be hard to beat.

Everyone was saying exactly the same thing (including myself) about McCain...I about fell out of my chair when McCain came from the back and swept the nomination. I kept asking, "what the hell are Republicans thinking; McCain isn't a Republican"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I kept asking, "what the hell are Republicans thinking; McCain isn't a Republican"
Republicans didn't support him in the Republican primaries. Democrats and independents did. Insanely, the Republican Party in most states permits those who are not registered Republicans to vote in the primaries, so they select for us moderates who stand no chance of winning in the general because unable to fire up the Republican base. If the base isn't fired up, you don't get the necessary force-multiplier effect during the post-primary campaign period.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our ex-Governor Closet Charlie Crist had a lot to do with McCain getting the nomination.

I'm better when I move.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Romney has a strong organization in the primary states. He can easily finesse the health care issue by simply admitting he made a mistake and supporting the repeal the present national health care law.

Right now I would bet on him.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I voted for Romney in the Florida primary last time around as the best of a bad bunch. I sure hope that someone better emerges in 2012. Too bad Marco Rubio wasn't elected to the Senate a few years ago. He's a true conservative who could give Obama a real challenge.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mitt Romney has an R after his name, but does not possess a single Conservative bone in his body!!

He's a RINO in every since of the word.

(that's why Spunky said he "would bet on him")

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I voted for Romney in the Florida primary last time around as the best of a bad bunch. I sure hope that someone better emerges in 2012. Too bad Marco Rubio wasn't elected to the Senate a few years ago. He's a true conservative who could give Obama a real challenge.

I like Rubio and think he will be a serious contender in future Presidential politics but not in 2012.

Right now I predict: Romney will get the nomination.

www.paracay.com

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,734
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.