Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I did.. a close paraphrase is: "We've had restrictions on magazine sizes for semi-automatic weapons before, and maybe it's time to revisit that."

Can't be any clearer.. What's murky is why you support him on this so much.

You're murky in your cyphering. I support Dick Cheney as a great American who served this country during 9/11 and waterboarded azzhats trying to kill us. You've taken an off hand comment about 'looking' at mag capacity to mean he's all for gun control. Get over yourself.

All American

All the time
GB4

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
no proof of residency to become president

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never said anything about throwing him under the bus because of this one comment, but at the same time he needs to be loudly and PUBLICLY castigated for making that comment. He's a politician, and other politician's watch what happen.

Something along the lines of, "He's a great man and has done a lot of good for this country, but in this instance he's completely off base."

If he hears it loudly enough, he'll change his tune. That's what politicians do. But if you let him slide with it, you're implicitly encouraging other politicians to take the same stance.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by grouseman
Okay, I'll bite the [bleep] sandwich and ask the question honestly, as I don't know.

What are those extended magazines used for? Competition, the just-for-fun factor, what? In Canada we're stuck with a 10-round limit so we can't even fill a normal magazine, let alone 30+ rounds. If the answer is 'because we can', I'm fine with that. I'm just looking for information.
It is central to the American ethos that each citizen is a member of their state's general militia, and must at all times be prepared to defend themselves, their homes and families, their communities, their respective states, and, if called upon, their nation, from armed aggressors (foreign or domestic) who would subjugate them and deny them their birthrights of liberty and self-governance. This is what the Second Amendment to the US Constitution is about. Not hunting. Not target shooting. Not any sort of sport shooting. The idea was for members of the general militia to maintain arms, ammunition, and supplies, appropriate for said duty at all times. This is central, we Americans believe, to preserving our status as free citizens.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Guess ole Dick is a POS after all.
link to story
To be fair, former VP Dick Cheney finally points out that the real proximate cause of the Tucson massacre was the insanity of the gunman, but that won’t be the takeaway for gun-control advocates. Cheney joins some critics in at least considering a size limitation on magazines for semi-automatic pistols. Jared Lee Loughner used a larger magazine of 33 rounds in the pistol, which has given rise to a call to impose limits on clips magazines for personal use:

wink One shot Cheney is a shotgun man, took out a lawyer with one shot. To him a high cap mag is unnecessary. laugh GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by grouseman
Okay, I'll bite the [bleep] sandwich and ask the question honestly, as I don't know.

What are those extended magazines used for? Competition, the just-for-fun factor, what? In Canada we're stuck with a 10-round limit so we can't even fill a normal magazine, let alone 30+ rounds. If the answer is 'because we can', I'm fine with that. I'm just looking for information.
It all comes back to our Constitution. You've heard the popular saying, "The Second Amendment Ain't About Duck Hunting"? That means that the 2nd Amendment is in place ultimately as a check against tyranny in our own government. Hunting is only obliquely protected in our Constitution, whereas military weapons are directly protected and extended magazines are the most effective ones for this type of use. They are what the government fears most so they should be actively protected. The government fearing its people is a good thing. God forbid we ever have to actually use the 2nd Amendment for what it was designed to recognize.
Well said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I never said anything about throwing him under the bus because of this one comment, but at the same time he needs to be loudly and PUBLICLY castigated for making that comment. He's a politician, and other politician's watch what happen.

Something along the lines of, "He's a great man and has done a lot of good for this country, but in this instance he's completely off base."

If he hears it loudly enough, he'll change his tune. That's what politicians do. But if you let him slide with it, you're implicitly encouraging other politicians to take the same stance.

I hear perfection is hard to find....am I the only one? Well, and that other guy. grin

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Those who would demand complete ideological purity from any politician may never find it and if they do that politician won't be elected.

Dick Cheney is a good man who has served this Country well. He is every bit as entitled to his opinion on high capacity magazines as anyone here--maybe more so.

I dare say that most, if not all, Republican Presidential hopefuls hold that same opinion.
Then they shouldn't be "hopefuls."

PS That this should be your opinion on this matter surprises me not in the least.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Regan took away any new class III weapons too.

And throughout all this controversy the Class III guys remain strangely silent.

????????????????

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
link to story
To be fair, former VP Dick Cheney finally points out that the real proximate cause of the Tucson massacre was the insanity of the gunman, but that won’t be the takeaway for gun-control advocates. Cheney joins some critics in at least considering a size limitation on magazines for semi-automatic pistols. Jared Lee Loughner used a larger magazine of 33 rounds in the pistol, which has given rise to a call to impose limits on clips magazines for personal use:

blush Won't cure the problem of the mental ill killing/ assulting the public. Typical political/ panicked American response. If we would expend our time/money treating and housing the mental ill it would lessen the overall problems that our nation faces. But hey that would be to easy. Typically this nation has to do it azz backwards, creates more publicity for political groups and their causes. GW frown

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Missed that

There's more then adequate material for humor, ...it abounds.

This is not any particular subject to be putting on clown shows about, I doubt one could READ the OP and come away without angst.

...and quick and hostile response GOES with that territory.

No harm, no foul,.....apologies extended ,...where apropo.

GTC

Your constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
[bleep] very much!

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
no one becomes the darling of the left faster than a Conservative that slips out with some stupid remark like Cheney's.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Hmm, let's see, some dirt bags are breaking into your home in the middle of the night, do you want to pull a 10 round magazine or a 30 round magazine out of your night stand?

how many dirtbags? wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One, but NeBassman is thorough.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Hmm, let's see, some dirt bags are breaking into your home in the middle of the night, do you want to pull a 10 round magazine or a 30 round magazine out of your night stand?

how many dirtbags? wink
You don't know. That's the point. Remember the home security cam footage that went viral a couple of years ago of the home owner who saw a three man squad of home invaders running towards his house with various long arms, and then of them running away back into their car under "military style" rifle fire (directed by the home owner), bullet holes popping into their car's body and windshield as they drove off?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by nemesis
Why would anyone care what Dick Cheney's opinion is on handgun magazine capacity?

I don't............

Of course you don't....

YOU ALREADY LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS!

You've taken yourself out of the handgun bidness already.
Sycamore

Hmmm..........

Seems to me according to the following excerpt from the MA gun laws, as a holder of a Class A License to Carry in Massachusetts I can have as many bullets in my large capacity handgun as I wish to:

"Large capacity feeding devices designed for large capacity rifles and shotguns may be lawfully possessed by a holder of a Class A or B license to carry. Ch. 140, � 131(a), (b)(ii). Large capacity feeding devices designed for handguns may be possessed only by persons holding a Class A license to carry. Ch. 140, � 131(a)."

Last edited by nemesis; 01/20/11.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
link to story
To be fair, former VP Dick Cheney finally points out that the real proximate cause of the Tucson massacre was the insanity of the gunman, but that won�t be the takeaway for gun-control advocates. Cheney joins some critics in at least considering a size limitation on magazines for semi-automatic pistols. Jared Lee Loughner used a larger magazine of 33 rounds in the pistol, which has given rise to a call to impose limits on clips magazines for personal use:

Well Sam, if "ole Dick is a POS after all", at least he's your POS; based on your previous comments.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by temmi
AZ Guys...

I was told that those HI Cap Mags were already banned in AZ...

Is this true?

T

No Sir,.....any capacity is just fine here (Az.).

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mesabi
What he actually said sounds a lot less like an endorsement of magazine capacity limits than the talking heads from MSNBC or the writer of the article would like to believe.
Yeah but focusing on that wouldn't make as good a thread now would it? wink

By the way, does Cheney get any more votes on the subject than anyone reading this thread?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why would it be any surprise to anybody that Cheney would back a ban? President Bush said repeatedly that he would sign an extension or a new ban if it came across his desk. Thank God it didn't and the original AWB sunsetted.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,964
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.