Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I dont think that is a poacher. Poacher is taking game out of season or non-game species, isnt it?

So, I can now hunt in Yellowstone for some of those huge elk hanging out in there, as long as I do it during the season?

I'll be sure to send the Feds over to verify it with you when I get busted...

Closed land, out of season, wrong sex, after dark, no license, wrong weapon (rifle vs bow), the list goes on and on as to what poaching can consist of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
robin hood, billy badazz, second cousin to chuck norris.

my family's land was paid for with blood, sweat and tears

some folks think paddin their hours ain't stealing from their company either, in my mind it's the same as reaching into the cash box and just taking money.

yes I did poach in my youth, I shot game on our land whenever we needed meat. have crawled on my belly with a sack full of frogs with shotgun shells going off above

but I eventually outlived my stupidness and grew up a bit.

I hate a damned thief.

I could be wrong and if so I'm sorry but I coulda swore it was the same poster that in event of really hard times he told crossfire, "he'd just take from those that had prepared for hard times" or something to that effect. maybe crossfire will chime in and correct me.

and probably nemesis don't need any more chit brought up about him anyhow, he's diggin a deep enough hole with stuff like trips posted.

am glad to see so many of you condemn such behavior and attitudes

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JD338
My X buddy/neighbor did the very same thing, shooting 7-8 deer every year. The land owner questioned him and the good guy that he is told them that it we ME!

I assisted the DNR and it took 3 years but they busted him!

JD338

Good for you.

My old duck-hunting partner in Northern Alberta was the kind of guy who would give a friend the shirt off his back. One day a lowlife character we both knew asked to borrow Ray's truck to pick up some hay, as his was broken and he couldn't afford to get it fixed. Ray said, "No problem," and that was that. We took my vehicle duck-hunting that evening. Came home to find the Mounties and fishcops at his house with his truck, which the lowlife had used to 1) trespass on private land, 2) shoot a whitetail doe and fawn out of season (with Ray's rifle, which had been in its case behind the seat), and 3) try to pass himself off as Ray to the fishcops. Fortunately the Mountie who arrested the puke went to the same church as us, and talked the fishcops out of confiscating Ray's truck and rifle.

As for Nemesis, yes, he's a poacher if he practices what he preaches.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maybe he just made it up to irritate some here!! grin Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was the same poster, I reckon.

Talk about an attitude.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Loggah
Maybe he just made it up to irritate some here!!

My guess for MOST of the stuff he's posted.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
...when hunting though, I could give a chit less who "owns it" unless they actually have it posted "no trespassing"...

You mean if it's not posted it's ok for you to hunt there?
Gosh,that's the way it was when I grew up. If it wasn't posted you just figured the landowner didn't mind if you hunted.My dad and grandfather never posted theirs either and didn't care who hunted. Of course times have changed and not everyone was an A$$HOLE like now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Those of his ilk exist at the very low level of the socio-economic scale. Petty thief, small time criminal, unintelligent and, hence, uneducated describe him. Because of his very limited abilities he will never own land to hunt. Indeed let us all hope he does not even have the wherewithal to own a firearm.

He is more to be pitied than scorned. Perhaps someday he will bring his bow to a gunfight...

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Rex;

Glad you picked that ball up and ran with it for a while.

Need someone else to be the azzhole 'round here for a bit.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When I worked for the electric company, I met many unusual people.
Most times if you treated people decently and acted with with some respect - they would invite you to come back and they would invite you to come and hunt - especially small game - anytime you wanted to.

There was one man who was very much against people driving on his property - with the sole intent of hunting deer and big game - who did not have his permission to be there.

He finally got so fed up with it all that he started taking those peoples rifles and four wheelers.
Out in his barn, hanging from the rafters was at least 6 four wheelers and that was in 1998.
He had several long rifles in his gun cabinet that he had taken off people who were hunting illegally on his property.
No one ever called the State Police to report him - because the fines would probably add up to several times the value of the possessions that he had seized.

The bottom line is - if the sign says Posted - stay off my land -- then you best better stay off his land.
Since that time, I have met dozens of Bow Hunters who are just as bad as this Robin Hood character. They sneak in - in the middle of the night, they stay there all day and they walk out again when it gets dark.
The cell phone craze only helped to ignite those people - because they can now call for help when they do harvest an animal and they can come and go as they please and they do not have to leave their vehicle parked in a conspicuous place.

With today's camo patterns - you can practically walk right past them and never see them.

A stick n string doesn't go bang either!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jnyork
Pull that chitt on my place and you're gonna need more than your [bleep] bow and arrow.

Agree 100%. Armed trespass will be met with lethal force.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just don't understand the idea that if it's not posted - it's okay to be there.

I don't care - default position should be that you aren't supposed to be there unless told otherwise.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i always wondered why more wasn't made of this when the original post was made. he could get shot for that in TX.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by jnyork
Pull that chitt on my place and you're gonna need more than your [bleep] bow and arrow.

Agree 100%. Armed trespass will be met with lethal force.

+1

There are to many LEGAL areas to hunt. You should not have to trespass. to do your hunting

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by teal
I just don't understand the idea that if it's not posted - it's okay to be there.

I don't care - default position should be that you aren't supposed to be there unless told otherwise.

I agree totally. As a land owner I despise trespassers of any sort, and even if my land wasn't posted (it is), I'd still be pi$$ed if I found someone on it whom I hadn't invited.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Very common all over the west to have unfenced, unmarked private property.
Wardens will tell you that it is ALWAYS the responsibility of the hunter to know the status of the land that you are on.

Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
...when hunting though, I could give a chit less who "owns it" unless they actually have it posted "no trespassing"...

You mean if it's not posted it's ok for you to hunt there?

I do not know about the other states "out west", but Idaho's trespassing laws are pretty clear and sensible.

If it is cultivated and/or irrigated ground, it is obviously private property and is illegal to hunt upon without permission.

If the property is in its natural state, as is most range land or timber, then it is impossible for a hunter to recognize the difference between private land and public. Fences???? There are fences dividing many portions of public land as the grazing rights are leased to different operators.

Range lands and timber may be posted with signs or simply with splashes of red paint on a rock or with steel posts painted red at regular intervals and at entry points.

It is the responsibility of the land owner to post his property. If so posted it is illegal to hunt upon those lands without permission.

A violation of Idaho's trespass laws will cost one his hunting privileges.

Thirty and forty years ago in Idaho, private lands were over run with slob hunters who ignored postings and took pheasant or deer on private properties. We called the Sheriff and Warden on the worst offenders on our property, but in ten years I only saw one citation issued.

That one citation was to a dumb azz who proclaimed to be on a public road but admitted to shooting a pheasant from beside his vehicle. The road was a dirt two track which bisected our property and was in no way public. But the warden wrote Mr Dumbazz a ticket for shooting from the road and I signed it. The guy must have paid the ticket as I never got a call to testify at a hearing.

But I digress, today, with the trespass laws we have in effect, we can go for several years without seeing a trespasser upon the property.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I once saw two fine bucks about 50 feet on the neighbor's side of the fence. Must admit I was sorely tempted to shoot but didn't.

Almost for certain I would not have been caught and if I had the neighbor probably would not have minded, after all his ranch is 15,000 acres what's one buck to him?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wonder where the defendant is...expecting him to rise to defense of his (kaff) honor and all that. Hardly recall his name...maybe Ignore? My memory isn't what it used to be. He do make arguing the merits of the .270 vs. .30-06 seem an honorable pastime, all things considered.

Don't have property these days, but awhile back I did. Accosted a few interlopers at gunpoint, never saw hide nor hair again. Few places where they were slippin' in thru heavy cover I spiked a SOG patch to a tree at the property line. Vines took over and I moved on to other projects. Local folks thought I was dangerously unbalanced, or so the rumors went. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

[Linked Image]

Florida has it that trespassing with a firearm is a felony. Shooting from or over state right of way, or onto another property likewise. Other states could learn a bit from that, IMO. Do a felony, ferget about guns.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Texas trespassing to hunt is a felony. No wonder he is hiding and not responding. frown

Originally Posted by stxhunter
i always wondered why more wasn't made of this when the original post was made. he could get shot for that in TX.

Last edited by Altjaeger; 01/23/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

Big difference between East (where I grew up) and West (where I am now).

One place I hunt is mostly State Land, interspesed (I think) with smaller parcels of undeveloped private land. It's near pancake flat desert cut with shallow washes between a road and the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal.

No fences or other way of telling where one stops and the other begins. State law says if it's not posted, go right in.

Around one side of the canal was private land owned by the CAP, unposted, unfenced, and lousy with quail. So we hunted there. We also shot clays there in the off-season. The security guy for the CAP would roll up in his nice truck, get out to see what we were doing. He'd see that we were collecting our trash, so he'd stay a while and talk guns, and about the quail, and compare notes about where we found the quail. He told us the CAP planned to fence and post all this soon, so we should get our fun in now. Just this last year they fenced and posted the best quail habitat, though there's still some State land around there that's accessible. So it goes, it was fun while it lasted.

I think the big difference between East and West is that out here you might have huge areas of public land pockmarked with pieces of undeveloped private land you can't distinguish from the public. Back East you can more easily assume everything is private. Plus the laws about permission and posting could be different as noted.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.