Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
I
That is 5 or 6 in a row.

You deserve a pat on the head and you've earned me stooping to do it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Far more than 6 successive facts,to your incessant whine.

I'm more than a touch comfy with the odds and much look forward to you cranking that Imagination up.

Shoot for the stars toots.

Laffin!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
I
Pat pat pat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't notice the OP spec'ing an extreme-conditions rifle.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Allow her to wax eloquent on Fairweather Pursuits and those "results".

It'll be as equally funny..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

I
I
I'd quote what I've done with the same Savage you've 'broken', but you haven't broken one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dunno what that even means.

I'm just calling BS on you making a big deal out of Savage's lack of nasty condition prowess, when it wasn't even on the OP's radar.

Let the dude have his thread....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by iptrny
I'd quote what I've done with the same Savage you've 'broken', but you haven't broken one.

Extractors,ejectors,triggers.

Fuel that Imagination up and take it for a Hot Lap.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Dunno what that even means.

I'm just calling BS on you making a big deal out of Savage's lack of nasty condition prowess, when it wasn't even on the OP's radar.

Let the dude have his thread....

You've an uncanny knack for talking out your azz,about things you've never seen,let alone done. If you shot a rifle 1 time for every 1,000,000 times you have your mouth,you'd perhaps have your first clue. I dig how your Imagination will take you places that don't exist,with 100% reliability. It's IMPRESSIVE,the ease in which you take stupid places it ain't been before.

Allow me to bait yet another hook for your dumbazz.................

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Flinch
7mm bullets have changed A LOT since the Tubb and Scearcy era. The 7mm's are doing well in competition now days. I have had a pile of them in the last few years. Only one didn't shoot under MOA consistently and it was a full blown custom. It would only hold MOA. I take that back, I did have a Ruger that would only do 4 MOA...talk about a turd. I had a factory BDL that would shoot in the 3's very consistently with 140 grain ballistic tips. I didn't get fliers....still don't. But you have to look at what those guys considered "fliers". If a bullet went out of the group .002, it was considered a flier. 99.999% of us would never be good enough or burn enough powder in a rifle to notice such "idiosyncrasies". I don't do BR matches, so the .002 "flier" phenomenon doesn't interest me. Neither do the "pressure spikes" that are so often quoted buy people that never had pressure gauges or the ability to read them correctly. I use a little pixie dust in with my powder and don't experience such things. Flinch

Well I know a couple of folks that had the ability and setup to test pressures... I don't disbelieve them.

And yes David ran a 7mm a number of years back. But even at that time Bergers were around. Its bergers as one of the ones I'm having issues with in a 7x300 right now. Plus a couple of others. I"m not saying things haven't changed and you aren't right nowdays, but I still don't see anything much past a 7x08 or 284 in the competition lines, which still backs what Tubb and a couple of other national champions said... get over a certain speed and things just ain't quite right more than 99% of the time with a 7mm.

That didn't stop me from trying, but it seems so far that they are still right today vs bullets and the fast 7s.... again, 7wsm seems to be the one anomoly aand that does NOT seem to make sense at all to me.

Rugers are turds no matter how they shoot....

I've never shot BR either.... I wouldn't consider 002 a flier, but I do consider 0.5 to 1.0 moa or more out of the group to be a considerable flier. Amazingly its almost always been a vertical issue too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 X284 for shooting paper and 7mm mag for putting meat in the freezer.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Groovin' on the awkward silence,afforded by the resident Do-nothin' dumbphuck and her newfound friend..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iptrny

People love to waste money but you have to spend double to beat a Savage.

Unless you by a Marlin "X" gun. grin
Then you spend 1/2 as much as a Savage and get groups 50% smaller. wink

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have read of the 7 Mag having flyers, I just have not experienced them since 1978 with the loads that I shoot in my factory Rem 700.

I would expect that some powders/primer/bullet combo's in any caliber might have flyers.

I have shot kegs of IMR 4350, with Rem Brass, and 9 1/2 primers with 140,150, and 160g slugs. I'm now shooting Retumbo with fed 215's with 162's at 3100 fps. Hard to believe that the 140 and 150's shoot such tiny groups with all that "air space" left over in the case....makes a strong case for the 7 Short Mag.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've never been a Savage fan. I've seen plenty of them that shoot well, but I've never been able to warm up to them. I hate the "combination bolt stop / sear" concept. I detest their trigger geometry. I don't like the jiggly rear baffle thingy whose function could be duplicated by just using a good bolt shroud design. The whole rifle was designed for ease of manufacturing and low retail price. However, as much as it pains me to say it, I have to admit, they do make a decent factory tube, specifically on their heavy profile varmint rigs.

I can think of one application where I think they are actually a pretty good choice: prairie rat extermination.

I like to shoot pd's a couple times a year in late spring. The places I shoot in NM have pretty large pd towns such that I can setup a bench in the morning and shoot all day long without moving from a fixed location. On a good weekend at my best honey holes, I'll burn up 2500 - 3000 rounds. Barrels get a bit toasty when the action is at its peak, and it doesn't take too many such trips before significant throat erosion develops. Savage's varmint rigs are great for this purpose because they're the least expensive to rebarrel and you don't have much $ tied up in the whole rig. So you're less concerned about abusing them when you really have to keep the brass flying to fight back an organized offensive of vicious, toothy rodents.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't had ANY experience with fliers...at all in 7mm mag, unless the rifle just plain doesn't shoot anything well. It is hard to determine fliers when they all fly all over the place ala Ruger. Like I said, I have only had two rifles that wouldn't shoot. Even the custom I had built made nice round groups, they were just too big for my liking, but a 5-10 shot group was always right around an inch and very circular. I have stacks of groups in the .2's with a couple of 7mm mags. I torched the barrels in them shooting long range rock chucks, but they were amazing while they were running strong! They puked at about 1,100 rounds of hard shooting. I wasn't kind to the barrels and seriously burned/blistered my fingers on the barrels numerous times. I had several days where I was shooting 40-50 rounds an hour through the 7mm mag. They get a bit hot ;o). I shoot little more than 140 ballistic tips 140 Sierras, 162 Amax's, 139 BTSP's and 162 grain Hornady BTSP's. I have not dabbled with the Bergers. I don't feel they are worth the expense when so many other bullets at under half the price do twice as much. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I guess my pixie dust powder mixture is working ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Flinch
I haven't had ANY experience with fliers...at all in 7mm mag, unless the rifle just plain doesn't shoot anything well. It is hard to determine fliers when they all fly all over the place ala Ruger. Like I said, I have only had two rifles that wouldn't shoot. Even the custom I had built made nice round groups, they were just too big for my liking, but a 5-10 shot group was always right around an inch and very circular. I have stacks of groups in the .2's with a couple of 7mm mags. I torched the barrels in them shooting long range rock chucks, but they were amazing while they were running strong! They puked at about 1,100 rounds of hard shooting. I wasn't kind to the barrels and seriously burned/blistered my fingers on the barrels numerous times. I had several days where I was shooting 40-50 rounds an hour through the 7mm mag. They get a bit hot ;o). I shoot little more than 140 ballistic tips 140 Sierras, 162 Amax's, 139 BTSP's and 162 grain Hornady BTSP's. I have not dabbled with the Bergers. I don't feel they are worth the expense when so many other bullets at under half the price do twice as much. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I guess my pixie dust powder mixture is working ;o) Flinch

The bergers driven at 3100fps is where I get flyer's..Much like the highly toted 300 grain VLD that came out nose diving when pushed to 3000fps. I'm told they have remedied this with the 300's, dunno about the 168 7mm's, I gave up and went to 162's and have had no problems.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My first rifle was a Savage. Bought it because it was cheap, and I was a poor kid. Was never impressed with the finish. Horrible bluing, machine marks, casting seams on parts, and that was just the cosmetics. The action is too long for most scope base/ring combos, and I think their factory barrels are dogcrap.

I toasted 2 throats and it was an '06. I shot it a lot, but not that much. I think the steel must be cheap or something. They are fine guns if you restock them, refinish the steel, and put on a new tube. Otherwise, you are lying to yourself...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And buy extractors by the gross..

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Concerning flyers,

Back when the 105's in 6mm were being developed, Bill Davis of Aberdine Proving Grounds took pictures of the 105's as they exited the barrel, some of the boat tails were being deformed due to rotational stresses.

This probably explains some of the flyers. Bullets with thicker bases would not have this issue of flyers.

Last edited by keith; 01/28/11.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (160user, 2500HD, 3333vl, 257 mag, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.