Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Shot the Wasp Waist Sonics in my 722 222 back in the day.
They shot as well as Sierra softpoints (1958) and killed Woodchucks just fine.
Loaded those 222s on a Herter Press, dies, scale and measure.

I just found a box of those 22 cal Sonic Wasp Waist bullets in the back of my reloading cabinet! Didn't realize that I still had them!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hclark; 02/10/11.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have some Wasp-Waist Sonic Micro Precision 130gr 270's on the shelf and some 175gr 7mm's. I sold my Herter's "C" press and all the dies with their interchangeable sleeves many moons ago.

The old catalogs are GREAT fun to look through. cool

Everything was either "Model Perfect" or "Model Perfection" etc. crazy

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you are old enough Herter's name is burned into your memory. I can't say I miss them, but I sure do miss them. Model perfect "Me"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BrentD
Paul, it is a C type of press that leans back slightly from vertical. I don't know how to explain it.

Need a press?

Looks like a Lyman C press but different color.

I bought a LOT of stuff from them
Or just got ideas from the catalog

I even copied a recurve bow... handle ( for lack of the corrct term. It was a steel rod. Adjustable length that attached to the bow's riser and you passed it through your fingers as you drew. And then a full draw was a palm filling handle ... I made mine out of a bakelite switch handle.

With it you could draw a hunting bow and then hold it at full draw, with just your right hand!

It worked GReat. Lifted right from the pages of an early 70's Herters catalog.

Then some thing called a compound bow came out?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
C
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
In the early sixties my dad got me some reloading tools from Herters. They're still all set up at his house, and about twice a year he reminds me it's all mine. I won't forget. I think there's a Herter's catalog somewhere in the stuff, too.

My press is the one that surrounds the ram 180-degrees. I can't imagine a stronger press.

I never understood the half horse, half fish critter in their logo.

Steve

It is called a hippocampus. Just a way of gussying up his image by putting something wild and flamboyant on his made-up coat of arms.

Like the part that says "Since 1893." George L. was born in 1911. His father ran a dry goods store that may have been started by somebody else in 1893. He started selling mail-order lures out of the back room in the 30's, and took it big time after the war.
Tom

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Still have a Herters recurve bow. Also bought my first bolt action from them, 1969, a .284 Win. U9 with douglas barrel and inexpensive french walnut(well supposed to be)stock. Rifle still shoots great. Also have a few remaining 7mm 139gr. open point bullets. Wish I still had some of the old catalogs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't believe that Herter's presses were made by or had anything to do with Lyman. There was a forge or foundry somewhere in the midwest that sold what appeared to be the same as the Herter's line of presses, but I can't recall the name.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SonnyO
Wish I still had some of the old catalogs.

always for sale on eBay, just search on 'Herters' and you can put some nostalgia on your coffee table. They usually go pretty cheap, and you can pick your year.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Paul39
I don't believe that Herter's presses were made by or had anything to do with Lyman. There was a forge or foundry somewhere in the midwest that sold what appeared to be the same as the Herter's line of presses, but I can't recall the name.

Paul

Ruhr-American made some of their presses.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That sounds like it.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

C
C
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I have some of their old catalogs. Its fun to look through those. I don't know when they closed shop.

The last catalog I got was 1979. They had one in Mitchell, SD I went to when I was in High School.....paradise to a young hunter/fisherman!

I still have some unopened packages of snelled fishing hooks.

Originally Posted by CaptHenway
I am researching a silver medal issued by Herter's that has the legend "HERTER'S DUBILL DOLLAR" on it.
Does anybody know anything about this medal?
Does anybody have any idea what "DUBILL" refers to?
Thanks.

Welcome to the campfire. That is one item I don't recall.

I am about done with the article I am writing about this silver medallion, and though I have a lot of great info on Herter himself (what a character!) I still don't know what "DUBILL" means.

If those of you who have old Herter catalogues want to go through them page by page, I will pay $50 for the first catalogue received by me that offers one of these medallions for sale. Please e-mail first.

Thanks,

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Herters C press and the scales are what I use, someone had given them to my Dad and he had them in a box in the barn, one shell holder and a 3006 die... still use'm.

Kent

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.