Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I have aged, I have gradually gotten away from heavy recoiling rifles. I seem to be shooting better than ever with simple rigs like the 6.5-06 and 30-06 rifles. As I am kicking around single action revolvers and specifically Freedom Arms models, I wanted some input on the larger versions.

So what is the recoil sensation for rigs like 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, and 500 AE? I don't plan on hunting the Big Five with them and am thinking it makes more sense for me to explore the 41 magnum, 44 Special, 45 Colt or 44 Rem Mag. I have no large bore handgun shooting experience.

My ideal set ia a FA 97 in 22 LR, and then one larger bore. I'd perhaps hunt whitetails, muleys, antelope or elk with the large bore and would pack and shoot the 22 a lot. Going to take a few years to get both but planning on getting the first one this year. Thoughts from handgunners out there appreciated. Thank you

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I'd go with an FA83 in 44 magnum. I've not shot an 83 but have had a 97 or three, and more than a few blackhawks. I currently own blackhawks in 357, 44 mag, and 45 colt versions, and have owned a couple of 41's. The 44 is, IMO, by far the most versatile with respect to ammo varieties and cost. I've had a pair of 45 colts and they are fun to shoot, but everyone seems to load the ammo up to get the oomph they think they need. I've shot my buddies super redhawk 454 and it was more then I cared to shoot much. I have a SRH in 44 mag and like to shoot it.

I've owned a superlite titanium S&W in 357, and I literally put 5 rounds thru it and sold it - the recoil was too severe for me. As I age, I've decided that for me, guns should be fun to shoot, as by far the most targets I shoot handguns at are rocks, cans, ground squirrels and coyotes. So the 44 mag recoil in an FA83 would be right up my alley.

Long winded and maybe not much help....

Tom

Last edited by tominboise; 03/16/11.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been fortunate to shoot many big bore single actions from both FA and custom ruger bisleys in 454, 475 and 500 Linebaugh. No matter what your experience with rifles, handguns are an entirely different matter. My shooting buddy can handle handgun recoil levels that leave me flinching all over the place, whereas I'll shoot rifles w/o flinching he refuses to shoot.

My advice would be to a get a mdl 83 in 45 colt, and handload to whatever level you want. I'll also add that IMHO, the majority of handgun shooters cannot accurately shoot a 475 or 500, well unless you build the gun very heavy and add a muzzlebreak. Extended shooting with the 475 and 500 has caused permanent injury to shooters wrists, and more than once the unaware has had the front sight planted into their foreheads.

My limit is the 480 ruger, 400 gr @ 1200 fps will take anything I'll hunt with a handgun, and it's shootable (I have about 4000 rounds through my srh)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got to shoot a guys Freedom Arms 454 Casull at the range one day, I was sad when the ammo ran out, it was a "blast", kinda like bein' at the head of the stack when the door charge blows (I read about that on my mac). I'd like to own one, made like a swiss watch.

Another friend bought a S&W 460, I fired three rounds through it and handed it back to him.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the insights. For the 44 or 45, seems like it would be a good fit in the 83. Several members are running 44 Specials in 97s. Hoping to get to handle both before deciding.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There�s no doubt about it, when you set one of those off, you know something significant in this world has happened. It�s up to the individual, but the recoil can vary from annoyance to downright painful depending on the gun you use and how used to heavy recoiling guns you are. While I think the Freedom Arms revolver is a beautiful revolver, I�ve never liked the shape of its grip. In an effort to keep you from whacking your knuckle on the back of the trigger guard, they move the grip frame back a little too far for my tastes. So while the DA revolvers just don�t seem nearly as nice as the Freedom Arms, I�ve always found the Taurus and Ruger easier to shoot, and the Taurus is just as accurate as the Freedom Arms (at least the one�s I�ve shot).

Of the big boys, I really like the .480 Ruger or the .475 Linebaugh because they give you all the power you�ll ever need, and a really big bullet. With lighter loaded .480 Rugers either in a .480 or .475 it can be a deer harvesting machine, yet with heavier loads and proper bullets you can stare down the ugly side of a griz (just ask JWP475).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot .44 mags for years, and still have a couple of 629's.

Now for the .480, I break out a PAST glove, at least for target shooting. Never did have a chance to pop a bear with it, but I'm sure it will take a deer here one of these days.

The Freedom Arms are like holding a three pound Swiss watch, beautiful things, but a full power .500 Wyoming Express? I wimp out, I must admit.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Back in 2000 I purchased a FA 83 in .454. It had a 6" barrel, black Micarta grips and extra .45 Colt cylinder. The gun had two previous owners...the original owner managed 5 rounds of .454 and sold the gun... The guy who I bought the gun from said he made 25 rounds of .454 and 250 rounds of .45 Colt before deciding he "didn't need that much power"....what he really meant was recoil.

I bought the gun because I had been invited to South Africa by a friend who lived there who said that he had several friends with ranches he could arrange hunts on. Although I ended up in SA the gun did not because of a small scheduling glitch.

The gun was truly the finest most accurate shooting handgun I have ever owned...and I have owned a bunch. Just aim, squeeze and hit... For loads I didn't go overboard...240-265 grain JHP at 1600-1700 fps..these are "mild" considering what a .454 will do. Recoil however while not "wild" is also not "mild". Never even loaded a .45 Colt round as if I want to shoot a Colt I'll go buy a Colt...

After several years of shooting I began to notice a creeping "discomfort" after each shooting session...hand, wrist, elbow... Even just letting the gun ride up rather than fighting the recoil was starting to get painful. After a series of discussions with John Tiffin and what BigBore shooting had done not "for" him but "to" him I decided the .454 was going to go. It was about that time I lucked into a once fired M83 in .41 Magnum that was identical to the .454 I had with the exception that the barrel was Mag-Na-Ported...and so off went the .454 and hello my favorite caliber....

A friend has the identical gun in .475. This guy is one of the best shots with a rifle or pistol I have ever met and one of his favorite rifles is a .450 NE...the .475 however is described as "a little too much of a good thing".... He keeps his loads in the 1000-1200 fps range and it flattens everything he has hit.

I've really had the itch for a M83 but just in .480 Ruger...but I keep asking myself "why" when the .41 Magnum does everything I will ever need a big bore handgun to do...at a LOT less expense per shot.

I think you are spot-on in wanting to get a FA "set"...these are my two .41s, one for carry and one for serious long range shooting and hunting...one day I'll find the .22 to finish "the set"...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have a great time picking your barrel length and caliber...it is always fun....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I confess since Ruger now has some #1's in .475, it that much more tempting to get a .475 M83, as companion pieces.

At one time I reckoned a 370 grain full house .475 load in a 22" barrel would probably make 1900 fps. I don't know anyone who would call that a "mild" rifle load, yet people shoot them in pistols.

And yes John Taffin comes to mind as someone who has had a lot of hand problems, from shooting many hard kicking pistols.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I owned a FA .454 and as configured it was more recoil than I wanted. They are very fine guns, and if mine had a regular grip instead of the overly large rubber one I might still be shooting it. The rubber grip was just too big to give a comfortable hold for my hands. I traded the Model 83 off for a Model 97 .44 Special, and this one is the revolver for me!

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Golfswithwolves, what length barrel on the 44 special?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another comment from a previous FA owner....the 454 was too much of a good thing for me. Too much recoil at way to fast of a rate. I had a 6" Premier grade in 454. It was sooo accurate. And contrary to Kevin, I loved the grip frame on the Freedom, and I have/had the Super Blackhawk, Bisley, and standard Blackhawk.

If you have the cash to afford one, whatever configuration you choose, I don't think you will be dissappointed. They are just that nice. I am a big fan of the 45LC in a modern revolver. I think you can do many things with it, and it will have plenty of power to spare should you run 335 Hard Cast. But it's your handgun.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speeding is a rule. Gravity is a law. You can't break a law of physics.
1. What is your build. Bigger guys take more energy to get them moving.
2. Larger caliber means for the same energy, lower pressure and not as sharp recoil.
3. Get the grip worked on to fit your hand. Flatten the back of the grip frame and stocks to give a wider impact area. Change the radius of the stocks to get a proper grip with your fingers.
4. Barrel length ythat works for YOU.
Physics. Laws not rules.
Shoot before buying, even if you have to wait if at all possible.
Shot them all a few years back. No X frame crew served weapons then, but the 500 Maximun was, at 60 % of the weight.
YMMV
All that crap being said.......... I am building a. DA for just the same thing.
480 Ruger Redhawk. Diameter, and weight in the bullet. Moderate velocity for control and 6 shots....where's the down side????

Last edited by 257_X_50; 03/18/11.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I confess since Ruger now has some #1's in .475, it that much more tempting to get a .475 M83, as companion pieces.

At one time I reckoned a 370 grain full house .475 load in a 22" barrel would probably make 1900 fps. I don't know anyone who would call that a "mild" rifle load, yet people shoot them in pistols.

...I keep looking at the same combo.....

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a number of revolvers in big calibers -- .44 mag, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, .50 Alaskan, and hey definitely take some practice to master. I will point out the obvious, but there is no shoulder stock to help you manage recoil with your body, so it really isn't an easy task and requires lots of practice. If you are recoil sensitive, I would suggest a .44 mag or a .45 Colt. Loaded hot, even these are threshold cartridges for many. As was suggested above, try and shoot the calibers in question prior to laying down your hard earned money. There are pleanty of lightly used big-bore revolvers on the market with a half a box of ammo for a reason.

As far as grip frames are concerned, I feel the Bisley-type (like that used on the FA) is the best for heavy kickers -- it's my personal preference. I have a DA revolver in .475, in .454 Casull, and one in .500 LInebaugh and they are downright abusive on the shooter as the recoil comes straight back.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
moosemuncher,

I read some of the posts but did not see where anyone mentioned my experience. If you fire Freedom Arms .454 260 grainers with wood grips about 1,700 feet per second it feels like when I was playing ball and the bat would break. After replacing them with Pachmyrs it was fine. My favorite load is 240 grainers at 2,014 feet per second. This gives 2" groups at 100 yards for a cylendar full.

I have heard the recoil is about like holding two .44 magnums in one hand and firing them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking that recoil at that level may cease being fun. Good information and I apprecicate everyones input. The 454 running 2" groups is quite impressive at 100 yards.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is the grip on the big Freedom Arms revoler close to that of the Ruger Bisley? Ross Seyfried favored the Bisley grip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Is the grip on the big Freedom Arms revoler close to that of the Ruger Bisley? Ross Seyfried favored the Bisley grip.

Yes it is.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

..but it is totally different in terms of geometry. The grip on the FA is much more like an overgrown Colt. The Ruger Bisley is half way between an original Bisley and an original Colt. For me and most people I have talked to, the FA "rolls" in the hand like a Colt or standard Ruger will. The Bisley comes straight back into the palm of the hand with much less rotation. For me it transmits a lot more shock into the hand than the FA does.

I've had Bisley's in .44 and .41 Magnum. With full loads I would rather shoot a Super Blackhawk....

Bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 7 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.