Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These days it's fairly simply:

Whatever puts the most amount of money in your pocket without destroying a future relationship.

I work for a very very large company and most are shown the door right then because we consider all others competition.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yep on the 2 weeks - more than generous-

like stated above - burn no bridges-(if possible)

you can state if -your new job allows that extra time to stay can be givin - at premium wages -twice normal- then you'll see how much you are really needed -

good luck on your new job!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would give 2 weeks because I think it's the right thing to do. If a company offers me more money to stay after I have given my notice I simply take it as an insult, if they can afford a raise to keep me they could have afforded a raise to keep me from looking for another job.

Bob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think loyalty needs to go both ways. I recently quit a job of 16 years for a better one. My old employer has a policy of keeping any vacation pay/time and any other bennys once notice is given. So why would someone give them notice? I kept my mouth shut took 3 weeks vaction and the pay while working my new job to see if I liked it before I actually quit my old job. Why burn a bridge prematurely? It was their own policies of screwing the employee that made my decision for me. They expect someone to throw thousands of dollars down the crapper just to give them 2 weeks? Right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd give the 2 weeks. I'd work those two weeks with all I had!! I'd be polite, humble, and show appreciation to EVERYONE I worked with. Future opportunities don't just lie in the hands of your soon-to-be former employer, but with those you work along side with as well.

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you're working for an individual or a family, "loyalty" is a misplaced concept in the workplace IMHO.

WAR EAGLE!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Two weeks is standard. Don't make their problem yours!!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never give more than two week's notice. It's dangerous to give more.

Thank them for the opportunity to have worked there, and tell them that it was wonderful, but it's just time for you to make a move. Never give them a reason to be angry with you.

Never accept a counteroffer to stay. I've watched that, and it rarely lasts more than a year.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give the two weeks notice, be on time, don't slack off, and walk out with your head up. If they say, "you don't need to stay, here's your two weeks pay", say thanks, shake his/her hand, and walk out with your head up.

Only other thing I'd have to offer is "don't burn bridges".

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would give them 2 weeks as agreed, but be prepared to walk when you finish the conversation. I know you feel loyal and hard to replace, but the fact is you can and will be replaced. The fact that you are leaving means you are unhappy, underpaid, or whatever...and your employer will want you out of there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Hey All - I'm struggling with the above question. I have a new job offer and I've accepted it. But right now, I work in a small organization and I'm the only person that does what I do (I'm the IT guy) and I've been with the company for almost 20 years. That said, our employee handbook says hourly employees (which I am) need only provide 2 weeks.

I'm going to turn in my resignation Monday morning. Do I go with the handbook and provide 2 weeks or should I offer to stay on for a month?

What do you think?
Rob
You're 'the IT guy' and you've been there 20 years?????? WOW.. In your area, isn't the typical window of economic feasibility more like five years before you're shown the door and another 25-year-old grad with all the latest knowledge take your chair??

I'm with the rest - two weeks and boogey..

Now, if you were in the car biz, one hour is all ya need.. laugh laugh

BTDT..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last job I left, I told them I was leaving, they asked when and I said I'll give you two weeks if that is what they wanted, but I'd like to be gone EOB today. That was on a Thursday and the following Tuesday was my last day. Didn't burn bridges (at least not intentionally) and they understood the reason I was leaving wasn't because they did "something wrong" to me or I had a beef with the company - I simply had an opportunity to go out on my own (not as a competitor) and wanted to take the risk. Worked out good all around.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Technoman26

NathanL - Trust me, there's no going back. I suppose I feel like I should stay on to help only out some sense of misplaced loyalty. I'm sure if they wanted to make a change, they'd usher me out the door while meeting the new guy on the way.

But I think of myself as a standup guy and I'd like to at least offer to help them out if they'd like it. So perhaps I should give 2 weeks with that offer to help them as needed for a specified time period (much could be done remotely and in the evenings as needed).

Just another twist...

Then give 2 weeks and move on. Forget helping nights and weekends unless you ink a consulting agreement with them and make it worth your while. Devote your extra time to coming up to speed with your new company....

Last edited by tominboise; 10/23/11.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Thumper358
I would give them 2 weeks as agreed, but be prepared to walk when you finish the conversation. I know you feel loyal and hard to replace, but the fact is you can and will be replaced. The fact that you are leaving means you are unhappy, underpaid, or whatever...and your employer will want you out of there.

That says it in a nutshell.
BTW notice is a courtesy, not a right. Some employers "think" they are entitled to it but won't give same. Avoid them. I wonder how many of those that say give the notice are current or former busness owners.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"What do you think?"

Well, it's passing odd that an employer would fail to properly provide for a faithful employee so long he must leave to better provide for his family isn't it? And, I find it odd that most new employers want new hires to report the day after a firm offer but then want 2 weeks to a month of notice before leaving. The company may write any 'termination notice' policy they wish but it won't be easy to enforce and you already have a new job! Anyway, the most common figure is 2 weeks termination notice as a courtesy and that IS all an hourly employee owes any company he's leaving anyway. IF they want you as a consultant, do it as a normal business arrangement and get paid, and get a minimum of four hours of your regular pay per call. Both your family and the new company have a right to your full attention so don't just give your knowledge away to a company that has undervalued your skills for so long.

Old management sometimes make the notice period a worse hell than usual for those who had the integrity to provide a notice!
I once gave 2 weeks to a Bell Tel. division but, after taking more verbal abuse from my lousy (but typical) company supervisor I cut that to 1 week - meaning I walked out when the SOB sneared at me one time to many for quiting. He just stood there, wide eyed and sputtering in unbelief when I silently unstrapped and handed him my tool pouch. I walked to payroll, gave them my employee card, said I was gone and to send me my final check up to that day and hour; they did. Four days and 200 miles away, I reported to my new job and loved it. Never looked back either.

Good luck to you in your new company. And God bless your family.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The last job I left I waited until the 1st of November and gave my two weeks notice. I then immediately told them I would be taking the remaining two weeks of vacation I had on the books. Since I worked on commission and they still owed me money, it gave me way to collect what they owed me without having to work. Their policy was that if you left before being paid for a job, you forfeited the commissions. November was also a good time to quit. I deer hunted for two weeks straight.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gave 2weeks notice a couple of times. Got called back to for fill in work a couple of times from them too.

Got crossed up with a foreman on one job and was informed by another guy on the crew, That friday I was goona get fired. Worked up till thursday evening then walked in an quit. The boss was pissed said she needed 2 weeks notice. Asked her if she had been planning to fire me on friday. The look on her face when she put it all together was priceless.

Had a better job 2 days later.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would talk to the new employer very frankly and find out what they are comfortable with. After all, they are your future, the old employer is your past. Don't let the past ruin the future.

I was fortunate on my last job change, the new employer wanted the old employer to "owe them a favor" so on my own time I was allowed to use the new employer's equipment to access the old employer's system and assist my successors (I wore lots of hats) in my various responsibilities come up to speed. For probably 2 years I was still an admin on the old employer's system and for another year beyond that I was still doing some off-hours consulting with them figuring out how to implement projects I'd done the leg work on and had a vision for.

It can be cooperative. If it isn't ... look to the future.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If they weren't paying you enough to keep you after 20 years I'd let them know you quit when they call you to see why you haven't been to work in 3 days !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for me always depended on my feelings towards the person that was employing me......some [bleep] i gave no notice on....guys i liked i worked with so long as it didnt hurt my going to the next job....some have had nearly none, others i let know almost a month ahead of time i would be leaving....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,031
Posts18,481,886
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.