Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, push it all the way through, then pull it back out again.

If that keeps the necks pretty straight, I'll tell you why it works--and the probable reason you're having troubles.

I'd tried that already, though maybe not with the carbide ball. Anyway, I just went and tried it with the carbide ball on the new stem, just to be sure. I got about .004" runout on both, about the same as I was getting before the die's road trip. Maybe a little less but I only did two cases -- my supply of once-fired 7x57 brass is dwindling!

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I saw you tried it already in the opening post, just wondered what would happen with the carbide expander ball.

The news doesn't sound good, but you might try it a little more. The badly-sized brass can be straightened out by running them into the sizing die (without the decapping stem) a couple of times, turning the case 1/2 turn between each sizing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the brass was unevenly annealed at the factory. If so, running it into the sizer a couple more times will work work-harden it somewhat, evening it out.

The other possibility is that the rim thickness is a little uneven. This would tilt the cases as little as they're being pulled over the expander ball. It's beginni9ng to sound more and more like a brass problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
John F: I would not waste this much time, effort, and headache, when you can just buy a new set of dies for $30. Try some RCBS etc...

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

I'm beginning to wonder if the brass was unevenly annealed at the factory. If so, running it into the sizer a couple more times will work work-harden it somewhat, evening it out.

The other possibility is that the rim thickness is a little uneven. This would tilt the cases as little as they're being pulled over the expander ball. It's beginni9ng to sound more and more like a brass problem.

Hmmm ... I do have a small quantity of once-fired Winchester brass from factory loads I could try. Will report back.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
John F: I would not waste this much time, effort, and headache, when you can just buy a new set of dies for $30. Try some RCBS etc...

At this point, I'm too curious to give up!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remove the primer punch and expander ball. Size a few cases and check for runout.

If you still have runout, you have at least eliminated the stem and expander ball.

Perhaps try another brand of cases. That would rule out the brass being thicker on one side and also rule out hardness variations. Or rule it in, as the case may be.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

If you'd read the thread, you'd know he's already tried sizing cases without the stem and expander ball. The die sized the cases perfectly. And some other people have also already suggested another brand of cases.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It's beginning to sound more and more like a brass problem.

I think we have a winner!

As I mentioned, I knew I had 20 rounds of once-fired brass from Winchester factory loads. When I dug them out to throw them in the tumbler, I discovered something I'd totally forgotten -- 20 once-fired and resized Winchester cases from another box of factory loads.

These were almost certainly fired and resized before I owned a concentricity gauge, and may have been sized on my previous press, on different shellholders, or both. But I know for sure that they were sized in the same die, because it's the only 7x57 die set I've ever owned.

So, I spun them on the Case Master. Out of 20 cases, one had about .004" runout, three or four were barely nudging .003", and the rest were .002" or less (mostly much less).

Out of curiosity, I also checked neck thickness. This proved they were fired and resized before I used the Case Master, because three or four cases were uneven by more than .0015", which would have gotten them put in a cull bag if I'd been measuring. (Interestingly, none of those were in the group with higher runout, but it's not a staggeringly huge sample.)

The next step will be to resize my other 20 Winchester cases in exactly the same way I've been doing with the Remington cases that prompted this whole thread, but that's a project for a night when I've gotten over the switch to Standard Time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John Frazer
It's beginning to sound more and more like a brass problem.

I think we have a winner!

As I mentioned, I knew I had 20 rounds of once-fired brass from Winchester factory loads. When I dug them out to throw them in the tumbler, I discovered something I'd totally forgotten -- 20 once-fired and resized Winchester cases from another box of factory loads.

These were almost certainly fired and resized before I owned a concentricity gauge, and may have been sized on my previous press, on different shellholders, or both. But I know for sure that they were sized in the same die, because it's the only 7x57 die set I've ever owned.

So, I spun them on the Case Master. Out of 20 cases, one had about .004" runout, three or four were barely nudging .003", and the rest were .002" or less (mostly much less).

Out of curiosity, I also checked neck thickness. This proved they were fired and resized before I used the Case Master, because three or four cases were uneven by more than .0015", which would have gotten them put in a cull bag if I'd been measuring. (Interestingly, none of those were in the group with higher runout, but it's not a staggeringly huge sample.)

The next step will be to resize my other 20 Winchester cases in exactly the same way I've been doing with the Remington cases that prompted this whole thread, but that's a project for a night when I've gotten over the switch to Standard Time.

OK John.... Enough time off from this. My OCD is kicking in again and I simply have to know "the rest of the story".

How about an update? wink

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
LDHunter,

Sorry, I haven't had time to try anything else due to work and family obligations.

I did happen to visit a gun store that actually sells reloading gear, and bought a set of RCBS FL dies just for grins.

Actually trying those, and working with the W-W cases, remain high on the list of things to do if I survive Thanksgiving.

John

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Schit like this can drive a normally-sane man crazy.

Steve

C'mon Steve, how many "normal" guys are there on this board?? "Normal" people don't even know that this stuff exists let alone worry about it.

As my daughter used to say: "I think I would recognize "normal" if I saw it!"

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
P
P
Did'nt he say the die company sized some and they were straight??rules out the brass no????

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pajim
Did'nt he say the die company sized some and they were straight??rules out the brass no????

That nags at me, too, but they only sized the 3-4 cases I sent them - not a huge sample.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I have a problem like this I blame the cases and turn all the necks. if that fail chit can them and get new cases, not worth fretting over. grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just remembered something..I was forming 357 Harret cases from 30-30 brass. and had a box of winchester brass once fired. when I sized it it would spring back enough that cases could not be formed from them. even setting the dies all the way down then1/2 turn more the press would knuckle over and lock. when I would try to chamber a new made case the action would not close,that is how far back the case would spring.. that box of cases had something in the metal that made the cases too springy I finally dumped them as I only had one box of them.. maby you got a box of bad metal in the cases????

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.