Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This has to be one of the most enjoyable threads I've read on the Fire. Thanks, everyone who contributed and here's to you Jon. Keep on doing what you do so well.

DF

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jon also has an appreciation for fine wine, as I discovered some years ago hunting Anticosti Island.

At the time, Italian varietals were favored, no doubt to go with the Lambo. What are you enjoying now? I'm still hooked on Bordeaux, but glad I stocked up years ago!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
And thank you, Dirtfarmer, for it's guys like you who have made what I do so worthwhile.
JRS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
I'm trying to reply to a thread entitled: "Where's Jon R. Sundra?" that a friend of mine told me about. I couldn't find the thread he was referring to because I'm a bit computer challenged,

Anyway, I'm not sure how long ago that thread was posted, but as of today I am still alive and still writing about as much as ever.

So, you see, I am still around and hope to be for a good while yet.

I want to thank all of you who have posted such positive comments about me on this thread; And I will try to check in here on the Campfire every so often, so it won't be another four-year interim. Promise.

HELLO - Mr. Sundra:

I may not be the ONLY one who has tried to contact you, but I certainly did last yr. I googled your name and it brought me to the 'Campfire'. I posted an inquiry about you, actually a couple or so.

My handle is jwall, my name is Jerry and I'm very happy to have this opportunity. I began handloading in '75 and the first "Shooting Times" mag. I ever saw was the Sept. 1977 issue. Do you remember the cover? Remington introducing the new 8mm Rem. Mag. and you wrote the artice.

To make a LOOONG story short.. during the following yrs. you were a TREMENDOUS influence on my hunting, handloading, and gun career. (My wife' not as happy as I am) grin

I was reading you, Wooters, JOC, Hagel, et.al. and I literally could NOT wait to get my hands on the next issues of Shooting Times & Peterson's Hunting.

I NEVER expected to be able or privileged to talk w/ you, J B (Mule Deer), Dr. Howell, Dr. Ohler, and others who participate here. I truly am humbled that you have taken the time and effort to respond.

Basically I want to say "THNK YOU" and express my APPRECIATION for your knowledge, expertise, info. and instructions. I always enjoyed your articles and being in the formative years of handloading, you were EXTREMELY helpful.

smirk THANKS to you, over the years I gathered a 5mmRem RFM, 6mm Rem, 7mm RM & an 8mm RM. You caused me to spend THOUSANDS of $$$ on guns & handloading components. laugh

I'm glad you said that you'd check in periodically and I'll be watching. Glad you are alive, well, shooting, & writing still. THANKS AGAIN Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for keeping us old Rifle Nuts abreast of your new digs.I will be watching for it on The News Stand!!!

Last edited by Huntz; 11/09/11.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the "Campfar," ol' buddy!

Don't be a drive-by or a hit-and-run!

Come here often!

And don't shun the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum, which can often use input of the Sundra sort!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Welcome to the "Campfar," ol' buddy!

Don't be a drive-by or a hit-and-run!

Come here often!

And don't shun the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum, which can often use input of the Sundra sort!

Dr. Ken,

Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire?

Oh well, maybe they'll treat him nice, like a respected guest, at least for a while... laugh

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well this was a pleasant surprise. I to gotten hooked on fixed 6 x scopes on my hunting rifles and I even am hunting with a 7mm too. Like I said in the past the campfire is my favorite place on world wide web. Last couple of days been very warm near 70, need to cool off, its hunting season.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I just got back from a 2-day shoot in Nevada with a bunch of gun writers testing shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo. Jon was there--along with three other writers named John. It got a loittle confusing while talking, but it actually helped when we shot sporting clays and the scorekeeper didn't have to put an initial after Jon's name.

An your score was? smile

Doc

Sporting Clays. I'm curious about the scores too. I've discovered and been shooting 5-stand sporting clays the last several weeks. Me and the buds (Team Stool Pigeons) gonna shoot weekly through March.

Scattergun ammo you were testing was _________. I shoot that ahem, economical Estate brand.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
� Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire? �

He doesn't have to.

Nobody has to.

Attendance here isn't compulsory.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Welcome Mr Sundra! Its an honor to have you here, have enjoyed your work for a number of years.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I learned a couple of accuracy tricks for the Ruger #1 from Jon's writing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I too have always enjoyed JRS's writing. Maybe not as much as Wayne VanZwoll's wink. grin though......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read many of JRS articles thru the years, enjoyed the content and delivery, as well as his tastes in guns/optics, etc.

As a gun enthusiast and hunter, I appreciate the efforts of all the writers who shared their honest feedback of their experiences. Mine have been better for it smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always found Jon's writing very interesting. I share your respect for the 7mm

I remember clearly his handwritten response to my query about a possible .338-7mmJRS wildcat - Very helpful, and cordial.

I'd like to read more about his .25 SAUM wildcat, or any other cats that Jon is working with.

I'll be looking for the new publication on the stands, or can a Canuck subscribe?

Cheers

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
� Do you think Jon can take the heat, here on the Fire? �

He doesn't have to.

Nobody has to.

Attendance here isn't compulsory.

Some heat on the Fire, now and then, isn't always a bad thing.

The interchange of ideas and comments is what makes the Fire interesting.

I'm sure Jon can hold his own, as a number of you skillfully do on a regular basis.

I look forward to his posts.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey Jon,

I remember a line you put together a long time ago. To paraphrase; "A 7mm traveling at 3000+fps is a force to be reckoned with." I've found it to be true even at slightly less velocity.

Thanks for many words of practical advice that came from first hand experience.

Last edited by battue; 11/10/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome aboard Jon! Glad to see another writer that knows his stuff posting here. Welcome. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for a lot of good info. I built (had built) a 6mm Remington because of an article you wrote in "Shooting Times" over 40 years ago. You were right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to have you on board Jon. I have enjoyed your articles for many years. For a while I was "put off" by your 7mm/Ruger articles but I got over it. I still remember an article in which you describe your problems with a .284 that became a single shot while hunting lions. That article made me a fan because I like an honest man who can report the shortcomings he finds.
Finally, I have to ask, are you and Bill Dance one and the same?

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 35 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.